Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift after a few hours

Comments

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I think its always a safe bet to say that however I've heard Rift has already surpassed 1 million pre-orders .

Don't be naive.

• koya111koya111 Member Posts: 23
  • mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Werthe

I think its always a safe bet to say that however I've heard Rift has already surpassed 1 million pre-orders .

Don't be naive.

Do you have any FACTS to the contrary?  I didn't think so...

Originally posted by mmogawd

Don't be naive.

So i need facts to contrary '' I've heard Rift has already surpassed 1 million pre-orders" ?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by eccoton

I think this game will be a success but not a WoW killer or even a WoW denter.

I agree.  I dont look forward to many WoW playersjumping from their game of choice.  I guess the premise here was that the devs said this is a WoW killer?

Anyway, Rift, SWTOR, nor GW2 wont be a competitor of WoW to a vast majority current WoW players, is that WoW has become a Social Network.

Many aren't really playing much of a mmorpg "game" as they are interested and comfortable with remaining socially connected with others that they have built kinship / friendhips with over the years.  Hiighschool, college friends, relatives, work friends that have common interests, which was once gaming in WoW, though remains, I think has transcended that to being more social connected to each other in WoW; it's like their Facebook. 

Sure they still play WoW, but I think their very comfortable with their social internet connection they have to their acquaintences in WoW that overpowers their interest in venturing outside of the title for an alternate mmorpg entertainment outlet.

But that's just me.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by marzatplay

All around good review based on only a few hours played. The real opinion will be by game's end when you have tried ever asperct of RIFT. It's growing on me, but end game will be huge. What happens 2 years in when most of the population is max level and only a handful of newbies enter to find they have to battle rifts all by them lonesome selves. Ouch!

Well if you play in quiet zones when people are fast asleep the mobs scale to suite the number of players in the zone.

This morning I was on USA servers playing not many people around I managed to solo a rift my level because the mobs where spawning as non elites. So I think the rifts scale down to what the population is like for that zone. Same thing again when server came up after a patch I opened a rift and was all none elites.

Don't be naive.

So i need facts to contrary '' I've heard Rift has already surpassed 1 million pre-orders" ?

Yes.

Don't be naive.

Yes.

No i don't. But tell you what. Let's make a bet. If Rift has more than 1 mill preorders that would mean that it will sell that much in the first week. So if that happens, i'll carry the arrogant idiot title in my signature for a month. But if it doesn't sell that much, the title goes to your sig.

Don't be naive.

Yes.

No i don't. But tell you what. Let's make a bet. If Rift has more than 1 mill preorders that would mean that it will sell that much in the first week. So if that happens, i'll carry the arrogant idiot title in my signature for a month. But if it doesn't sell that much, the title goes to your sig.

Deal.

Don't be naive.

Yes.

Deal.

Quote for the sake of contract preservation.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Don't be naive.

Yes.

Deal.

Hang on hang on hang on.  One of you two is going to admit being wrong? ON THIS FORUM?!??! GOD 2012 IS GOING TO COME TRUE NOW.

Originally posted by Swanea

Don't be naive.

Yes.

Deal.

Hang on hang on hang on.  One of you two is going to admit being wrong? ON THIS FORUM?!??! GOD 2012 IS GOING TO COME TRUE NOW.

Rift is a top 10 seller on Amazon and Gamestop... top 15 on Steam... and I believe the majority of pre-orders will be directly through Trion.

Ironically, I'm not pre-ordering! :)

Originally posted by Swanea

Rift is a top 10 seller on Amazon and Gamestop... top 15 on Steam... and I believe the majority of pre-orders will be directly through Trion.

Ironically, I'm not pre-ordering! :)

Easy bro. Wait till march, then gloat.

• HolaHolaHolaHola Member Posts: 68

I played from level 1-30.

And i think were rifts starts to shine is after 20.

Leveling with a good mix of warfronts, quests, rifts/invasions and dungeons made it a nice experience.

Playing: League of Legends!

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Played it for a few, only level 7 atm. If nothing else this game feels polished and that's quite something these days.

Also it's fun.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Deewe

Played it for a few, only level 7 atm. If nothing else this game feels polished and that's quite something these days.

Also it's fun.

I agree- if they add some more polish (particularly in the animations and movement) I can see it having a very nice population. Especially since WoW has affected so many players demand a higher level of polish than what we've been privy to in quite a few MMOs at launch- I personally feel more than its actual content that this is why quite a few (bored) WoW players stay in the game.

• ShattenShatten Member UncommonPosts: 40

they need to fix the combat system, a little too close make your attack invalid and the tracking fail big.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Well I have put in a few more hours of play. I have also just pre-ordered the game, I guess you know what my feelings are now about Rift. The more I play the better it gets. I have played them all! Never have I felt more part of a world and a big battle then Rift. It really is amazing the atmosphere in Rift is fantastic. There is shit happening everywhere. Lava meteors fall all around you as you fight incoming armies. Trees are blowing, birds are flying, and fights are breaking out all over. The world feels alive with activity and it does not feel robotic or repetative. The npcs seem to have purpose. The art style is fantastic, the color and light pallette is wonderful. Some of the short comings I mentioned earlier still stand but this game is a winner and I hope people try it out. I can not wait for the live launch. I have cancelled LOTRO, EQ2, and WoW because I know this game will be taking all my time at least until The Old Republic launches. Then I plan to play TOR and Rift because I think they will compliment each other. I woke up this morning thinking about the game and it has been years since an mmo has done that for me. I hope Trion can keep this experience coming for years to come but for now Rift even with it's flaws is one of the best shows in town!

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Well I decided to join the Rift beta. I did not go in with any expectations. I have not followed this games development or paid attention to any hype or really anyone's opinion. I just jumped in and give it a try without doing any research. My experience and comments are based on about 5 hours of play.
    First downloading the client was by far the best and fastest client download I have ever experienced. 7.5 gigs in about an hour. Game launched with no issues and I was in. My first reaction to the visual feast was impressive. I bit of graphic tweeking was needed, I hate glow effect so they were turned off which I feel made the game look better. I run a intel 7 quad, ati 5800 series, 16 gigs ram, my box is pretty good but not the top. I got a smooth fps of between 40 and 50 with most of the graphics maxed at 1920 x 1080. I did turn AA down to x2 and the game looks great. I should get a bit higher fps on my rig so I think a bit of optimizing is needed to the client. Performance issues were a topic in the chat channels. It took only a few minutes for the game to grab me.

Character creation was a bit of a let down. However, the characters look pretty good but more options are needed. Game play is fun and familiar but not next generation that is claimed. Rift is a love child of a drunk evening encounter between EQ2, WoW, and WAR. The world is fun to explore but is pretty linear. The feeling of being in a big war is pretty cool. The world is alive with lots of action. The landscape and the building structures look fantastic.

The combat system is ok but needs work. Fighting feels a bit slow but looks good. I have been enjoying DC Universe so that might be why the combat feels a bit slow. The skills and soul system are pretty neat and pretty ease to understand. I only grouped once and it was ok but felt a bit flat. The public quests were fun and reminded me of WAR. In short fighting felt a bit like a button masher but again I am only level 10 and a few hours into the experience.

I think this game will be a success but not a WoW killer or even a WoW denter. It took me a couple days to warm up to WoW but Rift grabbed me faster. I love the art direction in Rift but the expereince playing needs to match that. It is close but needs work.  With some attention Rift will be around for years to come. If it was released a couple years ago it would be huge. I will probably play it when it goes live but with The Old Republic coming out soon that may effect Rift. I give Trion Worlds a big high five they jumped into the deep end of the WoW pool and they did not and will not sink. This is a game to try but if you are looking for a different experience the WoW or the EQ francises this might not be it. They barrowed from many good games and put together a well made polished fun experience at least for my first few hours. Good job Trion but listen to your players and take it to the next level.

Cool review thats pretty much what ive grabbed from reading about the game without playing it and from talking with a buddy. Rifts are like public quests in War etc etc. The only thing that bugs me about this and every other review of a game on this site is the referance to WOW or comparing it to WOW it gets really annoying. Cant people make one post without commenting on that game.....its like a bad disease.
  • AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

When I first tried Rift,  I thought it looked good and worked very well.  I had a hard time getting into it though.

After playing it for a while however, I find myself getting more and more hooked as I go along.  If you only try it for a few levels, you aren't even seeing the game yet.  At all.  TBH, the first ~10 levels are just about getting to know the game and understanding how things work in relation to similiar games. 

It truly is its own game.  It's no more a WoW (or WAR) clone than WoW is a EQ clone.  All fantasy-based games like this have their own style, their own story, and their own gameplay.  People with the attitude that "if you have played one you have played them all" are really limiting themselves and their gaming possibilities.  I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is saying that - it's just a general statement. 

I'm getting really tired of the clone comments in general, regardless of the game.. It's as ridiculous as calling a chevy a ford clone because they both have tires, wheels, seats, engine, transmission, and omg, stereos!  Anyways... sorry about that.. things flow through my fingers and I can't help it.

tl;dr - At first I wasn't real impressed overall, now I am loving it and hate that the betas are so short. =)

To each their own!

Acidon

PS: Cake > Muffins > Pie

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by HolaHola

I played from level 1-30.

And i think were rifts starts to shine is after 20.

Leveling with a good mix of warfronts, quests, rifts/invasions and dungeons made it a nice experience.

I think that's how I'm going to plan my game play.

Rifts, some pvp and some dungeons. I"ll do some quests but they don't really "do it" for me so I'll hopefullyi limit them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

I wont say Rift is a clone.

It seems like it has a lot of aspects of other games, as in they took some ideas from other games (good ideas mind you) and they made them distinctly their own. That does two things, it makes someone feel comfortable, but also have that "been there, done that" kind of feeling, which is what I attribute a lot of the clone comments here.

From my point of view, it's a reasonably polished game, it seems familiar, and it does a few things pretty well. It wont be for everyone, but honestly, I think in a genre where it has been years since we've had good new titles, Rift will probably find a pretty comfortable niche.

It's something new that people want, with a lot of old trappings that people know about. While it doesnt revolutionize the genre, it's probably going to be a great stopover game for people who are tired of their old games, and want to see what the new AAA titles will really be all about.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

people need to stop saying this is a clone of this, that is a clone of that, its getting really tiresom. Everything is a clone of tabletop D&D, that about wrap it up?? lol

ANYWAY

So far with 2 days played about about 10 hours in, I can say I really like how they pulled a bunch a great ideas from current market games, threw em in a pot, stirred and threw in some really nice spices and plating. Rift I think will have alot to offer any player out there, pvp, pve raider, etc. It seems to be a jack of all trades and I think it pulls it off. I love the rifts and invasions, its especialy cool when you are questing and all of a sudden a rift opens up on top of you lol, doesnt happen like that often, but its especialy cool when it does. It kinda throws a wrench into the stagnant nature of zones, cause its something completely random. I havent gotten to try the dungeon system alot yet but ive heard good things. Im pretty sure I will be preordering because this looks about as good as its going to get until SW:TOR hits shelves.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Rift is a love child of a drunk evening encounter between EQ2, WoW, and WAR.

This analogy seems okay, until you realize that flaw that no matter how drunk three people get, they don't have a baby collectively; only two do. This is why I hate bad analogies.

That said, it's probably easier to say that Rift shares elements of War, EQ2 and WoW (as well as other MMOs). When someone says something reminds you of several things, it's not a love child; it's so diverse that you can't put your finger on what makes it whatever it is and that's usually the charm.

I've seen this kind of comparision a few times and everytime I read it, it looks as bad as when the first guy made it up.

Conclusion: Rift has enough elements of MANY previous MMOs combined that it can be called it's own MMO and not a child of a menage e trois.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Played a bit more, thought some details would be interesting.

Among other things you can swim and some quests, as in WoW, expect you to go under water. Might not be a deal breaker for some but it does help for the immersion feeling.

As to put some emphasis on the polishing I'm going to take the map as example.

• You can track more than one type of resource at the time, no need to switch anymore

• By default scrolling while mouse overing the mini map and the map will zoom in/out

• You can right click on the map to set a waypoint

• There's a toggle to make the main map transparent when starting to move your character

• There's a toggle to disable automatically centering the map on the player character

• You can resize the map

One interesting thing is you actually choose your 3 subprofession (talent trees) I guess there will be even more classes combinations than in DDO. So don't expect the game to be balanced ever but who cares when respecting is that easy?

The devil's in the details, seems they got it right.