Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Beta 5 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

On the eve of the Rift Beta 5 event scheduled to begin on January 25th, Scott Hartsman has posted an extensive preview of what players can expect in the way of improvements, bug fixes, enhancements and more. One of the most significant pieces of information is the news that this beta event will feature twice the number of players as Beta 4 and that public grouping (PUGs) will be featured at the request of players in earlier beta events.

Beta 5 Preview - It's been a busy couple weeks!

We’ve tried to take as much advantage of the relative calm between Beta 4 and Beta 5 as we possibly could. Here are some of the highlights to look forward to in Beta 5 tomorrow. We'd like to detail a number of them and also shed some light on a few things for Beta 6 and beyond.

New For Beta 5

We're expecting Beta 5 to be at least twice as big as beta 4! By the end of Beta 4, we were running a total of 18 servers. 8 in our Europe datacenter and 10 in the US. This time we're opening up with 16 in each region, for a total of 32 servers, all with higher population caps, more than doubling the number of people who can be online at once.

If you get caught in too long of a queue during the middle of beta, know that we'll be keeping an eye out to see if we need to open even more.

Public Grouping.

This was a big one for us -- just about the single most requested item -- and we're really happy to have it in game for you to try out already.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Public grouping for the rifts is a major improvement.. nice.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It's another example of how this is actually a beta "besides" being a marketing tool.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

No matter what anyone thinks of this game they can't argue with one thing: These devs listen and react.  Also, you can through the whole arguement out that nothing changes in beta.  I can't believe the amount of stuff Trion changes in such a short time.  I was very down on this game after the first beta.  My opinion has risen enough to pre-order it now.  I just wish it had better crafting anf group quests.  Maybe I can hold out for a few more betas....

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

this developer team is so insanely OP.  Even if the game isnt for you 100%, playing a game developed by this group, has got to be a top experience.  They are fully committed to making RIFT the top of the class.  The improvements, based on beta feedbacks is unreal.  I have never seen a company make so many gamewide improvements from beta 1 to launch as Trion does from beta to beta

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Letsinod- I know they are revamping the Apothecary craft, so we still have hope.  If this games crafting system was better, it would hands down be the single best MMO to date.  The ONLY thing I dont like is the WOW crafting system (and the EQ pet system could use a little work)

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Some great changes listed there... we'll see how it all shakes out tomorrow.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Cool.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Awesome changes!!!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

100% agree with the above posters, the devs yet again come though, a lot of the changes made for beta 5 are from feedback after beta 4.

Cant wait to try this out again tomorrow!

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111

Im going back in rift!!!!

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111

ok i got message from mmorpg saying wone 500 beta key thing,and i wen to my mail and trion sent me a key LOL

• ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

This game just keeps getting better. I've never seen anything like this. Imagine what this game can be 6 months after launch.

• Oy-jordOy-jord Member UncommonPosts: 44

There appear to be quite a few fans of Rift here, so it's a good place to ask.  How's the PvP?  DAoC RvR-like?  WoW's 2-faction BGs-like?  Instanced?  Consensual?  Open world?

Thanks!

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

So there making Rift invasions even easyer then they already where and where we wanted harder rift invasions as good as beta 2.         They sure listen well O well I wont be playing it since it is not what I was betting my gaming on.  They told of rifts would be bad ass and a challenge not easy mode nope failed that in beta 1 3 4 5 and now 6.  Class's where to have freedom failed there as well they all have the same talent and skills.

Rift will be on life support in 6 months from people going in it thinking is was going to be a mix of EQ  and  early world of war craft challenge but its just a easy mode game.

PVP is as they said battle ground mini games but much smaller then even I was thinking want to hit the enemy side's base ok run 10 secs forward 20 on the larger mini game map.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Ya, this is unheard of in all of the games that I have beta tested (all of the major ones, wtih the exception of EQ).  I am so ready for this game to release, and the dev team is better than any I have had the oppurtunity to be involved with before.  Incredible.

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Rift is shaping up nicely!

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Get's better and better every beta..........

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Oy-jord

There appear to be quite a few fans of Rift here, so it's a good place to ask.  How's the PvP?  DAoC RvR-like?  WoW's 2-faction BGs-like?  Instanced?  Consensual?  Open world?

Thanks!

Yes all of that and it's fun, try it out for yourself.........

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• Bicknell55Bicknell55 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by Coolit

100% agree with the above posters, the devs yet again come though, a lot of the changes made for beta 5 are from feedback after beta 4.

Cant wait to try this out again tomorrow!

SAME here!! rdy for tomorrow & yes, listening to the iPod cast today; I see a lot of potential, both in PvP & crafting. PvE will be just as awesome

Bick

• ShattenShatten Member UncommonPosts: 40

i wonder if Rift will be one up or even match against Guild Wars 2?

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Shatten

i wonder if Rift will be one up or even match against Guild Wars 2?

My only hope is that Rift is good enough to hold me over until the release of  GW2 :)

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

I did witness several Rifts wipe maybe 30-50 lowbies in a lowbie  zone.  That was during Beta 4.  The first couple Rifts you come to are very easy, but in teh same zone they had some unbeatable rifts emerge.  Im sure this will all be tweeked throughout beta and launch.  Anyone remember the server wide message "thanks for all the testing, now prepare to die" then the sky goes black and what seemed like countless rifts open in every direction.  That was the coolest beta experience I have ever had.

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

Tomorrow is my first beta, need to get a good rest before LOL

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by Myrdynn

this developer team is so insanely OP.  Even if the game isnt for you 100%, playing a game developed by this group, has got to be a top experience.  They are fully committed to making RIFT the top of the class.  The improvements, based on beta feedbacks is unreal.  I have never seen a company make so many gamewide improvements from beta 1 to launch as Trion does from beta to beta

So very true!

I'm used to closed beta coming around and a few things change here and there.  Then open beta arrives, and nothing changes except some bug fixing.  Between beta 1 and now, Rift has changed more than I've ever seen any other game do prior to launch.  And it's not because they're fixing all sorts of broken stuff, but because they're taking the solid concepts that they started with and modifying them based on player feedback.  

This is the first time, "it's only beta" might actually prove to be a truism rather than a way for devs and fanbois to feel good about their pet project's shortcomings.  Very refreshing!

I've seen a great many comments on this and other forums that mirror my own experience:  "meh" about beta 1,  surprised by beta 3 and now seriously looking forward to beta 5.  If only Sigil had taken the same development approach that Trion is!

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Originally posted by Oy-jord

Thanks!

It's only really arriving with this beta, so we'll have to see.  We know it's 2-faction like WoW.  There are BG's.  Players from the other faction can cross into your faction's territory (sort of like Aion, I guess), but it also sounds like you can flag yourself for PvP if you want to participate in that.  (This may only be on PvE servers, though.)  There's also PvP progression, sort of like in WAR.

A couple key differences, however:

1. PvE gear lets you be competitive in PvP and vice versa.  

2. A PvP soul is available for each archetype.  This soul has fewer talents and skills -- probably because it doesn't become available until quite a while after your PvE souls.