Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide: First Render Displayed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online's John Smedley has 'tweeted' the URL of the first render from the recently revealed Planetside Next (working title). The image shows what's being called an NC Tank. Check it out below and then let us know your thoughts.

Thanks, Ian, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Yep. It's definitely a tank.... not much of a "reveal", is it?

I'm looking forward to trying this game out though. I never played the original Planetside and a bunch of friends of mine have told me how awesome it was. Hopefully the sequel won't disappoint.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

So now that the battlefield games have a type of leveling and character persistence, I wonder what a game like planetside has to offer for a monthly fee, where the bf type of games don't have a monthly fee. 

so...

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Yay for Planetside! Best damn pvp game I ever played.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by apocalance

So now that the battlefield games have a type of leveling and character persistence, I wonder what a game like planetside has to offer for a monthly fee, where the bf type of games don't have a monthly fee. 

A massive seamless world with hundreds of players in one area at the same time?

This is likely just a revamp of PS rather than a whole new game, given how little they've said and how soon it is supposed to be released.

Mind you, the original Planetside was possibly the best multiplayer FPS experience I've had to date.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Since old Smedley is directly involved I wouldn't hold my breath for this one...

Expect levels, classes, "immersive storylines" and, ofc, microtransactions and all in a wonderful 2-faction good vs evil world with instanced battlegrounds that "ensure fairness".

Sadly, this is all he and his kind seem to be able to grasp regarding game design.

I might be wrong tho, who knows? But I'm not holding my breath by a long shot.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Originally posted by apocalance

BF, CoD, and the other FPS franchises (is that the plural form of franchise?) don't have a persistent map to fight over to gain territory for your chosen faction. However, Chromehounds had this and the online play was a war which declared a winner under the right conditions and then reset the map.

It required no monthly fee and it was loads of fun. Planetside 2 needs to offer some solid gameplay with tons of bells and whistles if SOE wants it to have any kind of success.

A rehash of the original Planetside with slightly better graphics just won't cut it. They also need to smooth out the controls and aiming. Planetside was a fun game, but it was one of the clunkiest clumsy FPS ever.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

I would sub in a heartbeat if they could prove that the hacking on this upgrade is under control and will continue to be taken care of. And if they could keep a decent sized team in the game to police it.  Hackers realy killed the original Planet side for me. I hope beyond hope that they can do it right with this next project.

Work hard Play Harder

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Since old Smedley is directly involved I wouldn't hold my breath for this one...

Expect levels, classes, "immersive storylines" and, ofc, microtransactions and all in a wonderful 2-faction good vs evil world with instanced battlegrounds that "ensure fairness".

Sadly, this is all he and his kind seem to be able to grasp regarding game design.

Why are you even here then? its a soe game, hes gonna be involved, since, you know, hes the president.

So really, why are you here then?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• MuffpojkenMuffpojken Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by warmaster670

Why are you even here then? its a soe game, hes gonna be involved, since, you know, hes the president.

So really, why are you here then?

You can't deny the fact that many people have been upset by decisions made by SOE. I personally don't think Smed is let alone to be blamed (or praised) for those decisions. Howerver Plinkplonk said "i might be wrong tho", you don't have to bash him for clearly stating his opinion.

I think the NC tank looks amazing. Now i wanna see some Vanu character models :)

Playing: ARMA 2
    Waiting for: Darkfall: UW
    Played: Ultima Online, Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Planetside, Dark age of Camelot, EQII, WoW, SWG, FFXI and a lot more

• JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187

I hate it already

...the tank I mean, just because it belongs to NC. Damn smurfs.

• NoyjitatNoyjitat Member Posts: 39

If they keep max suits and bfrs out of the game so its infantry, air and vehicular combat it would be sweet. They have already said no bfrs, so if we get max suits. We gotta give them good feedback and make sure the things are freaking balanced this time.

image,image

• TigersmithTigersmith Member UncommonPosts: 23

Planetside!! Game is amazing. If you have not heard about it look it up!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well unless they control the hackers, this game will be another bust.  Prior game was ruined by them.

Oh and btw, criticizing Smedley is easy, SOE has been steadily treading water for years, only their console division has kept them afloat.  They have had to consistently layoff members of their teams to keep profitable.  I have yet to see anything earth shattering come out of their studios in years.  

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Can't wait to hop into that Vanguard.

• NerghalNerghal Member Posts: 8

I just licked my screen...

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

It's good to hear some info, if only so little :)

I'd say Planetside's experience was only beaten by Tribes, but damn was it fun at it's peak...damn shame it's owned by SOE (imo).

Good times.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Of all the renders, he chooses the most basic one that is simply a box with textures. I wanna see some player renders.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Awesomeness. 

As to the previous planetside being ruined or not by hackers.. The game was amazingly fun 3 way massive FPS'ing, a few bad apples in that hardly made a difference. There's nothing to gain by hacking, the enemy will just take back the territory you cheated for, eventually, and there's no personal gain.. so eh.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

if planetside next sucks hopefully http://www.tribesuniverse.com/ will be good

• JoyBoy80JoyBoy80 Member UncommonPosts: 23

My one true mmo love, PS. I wanna see  Wildcats Militia back in its true form in a new PS game.

• b0bbyZb0bbyZ Member Posts: 46

Hackers only really came in to ruin it when the free trials popped up, there weren't TOO many before that, it was mostly just people who are garbage at FPS games who couldn't understand why they kept getting slaughtered. I've gotten numerous aim-bot accusations while using a projectile weapon. It was an MMOFPS(one of the first),  the beginning of the game was filled with people who either came from playing games like UT, Quake, etc. or people who came from playing D&D growing up and came from EQ. People were way too quick to call "hax" in that game(even for an FPS), they couldn't accept that they spent all this time leveling up to br20 and had rexo/ha and then an agile pulsar just rolled over them because they understood that, you know, a strafing target is a little bit harder to shoot then a guy running right at you in a straight line, something I still see to this day when I get the urge to sub for amonth every once in a while.

Anyways, I'm willing to bet they will try too hard to make everyone happy and end up disappointing them all. Sure, no BFRS, but I bet they'll dumb down the ground combat even more.

• SkyGhostSkyGhost Member Posts: 4

Looks awesome.... but does that mean that PS Next is just PS with better graphics....?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Yeah, just like the original Planetside...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• battleaxebattleaxe Member UncommonPosts: 158

Hopefully that big gun on the front of that tank will be more powerful than the window dressing it was in old Planetside.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Very pretty, but graphics never have and never will be my concern with PS. Here's a list of demands...I mean, things I'd like to see if a sequel/reboot:

1) Get rid of BFRs

2) Get rid of BFRs

3) Get rid of...oh you get the picture.

4) Being able to save multiple skill "loadouts" in order to change roles easier.

5) Better weapon/vehicle balance between factions (I'm looking at you Jackhammer)