Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Looking ahead at 2011

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

After a couple of weeks looking back at the year that was, it's time to turn our collective eye to the future for MMO gaming in 2011. In his newest column, Bill Murphy looks at what lies ahead for gamers in 2011. Check out Bill's thoughts and then let us know what you're looking forward to in 2011 in the comments section below.

We’ve already taken our stab at predictions for 2011, and that’s all fine and well. But on a more serious note, now with January mostly behind us it’s probably about time we took stock of what 2011 is actually aiming to deliver. No predictions, no postulations, just the cold hard facts of what the year to come should offer us MMO gamers. I don’t want to get too preposterous, but 2011 is actually shaping up to be something of a golden year… we hope. Let’s get down to business, shall we? The following is not a complete list of every title to come in 2011, but rather should serve as a pretty (we hope) competent look at what’s on deck for the year ahead. Dig in, folks.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Looking ahead at 2011.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

I'll add, for myself, PlanetSide Next as one of the games i will really follow this year.

GW2, Firefall, World of Tanks, The Secret World and CCP World of Darkness are on my cant-wait-for-more-info list :)

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Nice list and yeah 2011 should be a great year for MMO's. I doubt we will see JGE this year until the court case against Gazillion and NetDevil are resolved and they find someone with intrest to invest in the IP.

Hell we should be seeing BP this year if at all possible. Also looking forward to more info on GW2 and seeing Incarna this year too.

• isikierrageisikierrage Member Posts: 12

FORSEAKEN WORLD

if you need one more

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120

i've never heard of xyson earth before today... its description reminds me of write-ups on mortal online, which i've never played.

• hothnogghothnogg Member UncommonPosts: 38

pretty much agre with tazmanyak, apart from firefall, never heard of it

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

if 2011 doesnt give you a big mental mmo geek woody your not a mmo gamer.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Have to say, it will be a much better year that 2010 no matter how good these upcoming games are.  At least we will have a decent selection of things to try, unlike last year.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Potentially this could be the best year for mmos. The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 will lead the way for 2011 if they release this year.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 and TERA are what's on my radar for this year.

ARGO ONLINE

MYTHOS EUROPE

GODS AND HEROES

are som more names

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Surprisingly bland list.

Games like Wo...ups, TOR or Tera should not even be there. TOR is....well....overrated wow clone?  And all Tera so far has is twitch-combat, but I bet you all my two cents that the game will have some serious serious grind issues and lack of overall other features.

And to call the decomposing corpse that is Earthrise as something to be anticipated? Seriously. IF that game has gotten more dev time, it could be ok. as it is now its not alive, its a corpse that is slowly turning into a skeleton.

However yes,2011 is shaping up as perfect year of anticipation both for p2p and f2p genre.

On one hand we have Secret World, which is pretty much my only hope of p2p genre doing something creative and great. Considring it has R.Tornquist on the helm, I have no doubts on it being awesome.
    Then we have stuff like Firefall, which is sure to bring some VERY fresh winds into whole mmo stuff. Persistent World, dynamic events and TRIBES-like gameplay? Yes fracking please.

Then we have games  from the east like Archeage, which, imo is a first true fantasy sandbox in a long long time with persisten world, house, castle, ship building, ultima-like classes and ideas and awesome graphics.

Then of course there is:
    - Swordsman(first game to have a fully simulated dynamic enviroinments  and npcs who have personalities and form opinions about players, not to mention a fully living world with real-time seasons, weather, disasters, animals, birds, all affecting gameplay. And then we have community based society simulations, like player-armies, merchant guilds, market districts, governments, bandit groups, martial arts clubs and so on. No wonder its described as "having focus on player living in a world" than "leveling up".)
    - Age of Wulin(another sandbox-y game with great parkour elements in the combat, no levels or classes, twitch-combat, and so on),
    - Age of Titans(touted as Diablo3 Online, was not interested in it till i read that mmoculture preview on the supposed features of that game.),
    - ARGO(steampunk+innovative twists on normal mmo formulla, nuff said),
    - Path Of Exile(pretty much what Diablo III should have been. 3d, crossclassing, skill customization ),
    and etc,etc,etc.

Even browser based games  have some games upcomming like Battlestar Galactica Online(which going by reviews so far is shaping up as quite awesome game, not something you would expect from browser based games)

2012 is looking great too with possible Torchlight MMO, new blizzard mmo and other things.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

bloodline champions came aut 2011-01-13

Sad no one take abaut it.

• TraylorTrashTraylorTrash Member Posts: 30

Lookin forward to SW:TOR before Q3 2011

• G2GTechG2GTech Member Posts: 25

I'm surprised that the expansion list didn't feature something a lot of people both who play the game and who do not: Eve Online: Incarna.  Walking in Stations seems to be a wanted item by a lot of people.

"The civilized man is rude, as he knows there are laws that protect him from recompense; The savage is not, for his actions can meet a bloody end."
    - Robert E. Howard

• PerkoPerko Member Posts: 62

Xyson -> Xsyon!  Sheesh.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Yuui

Surprisingly bland list.

Games like Wo...ups, TOR or Tera should not even be there. TOR is....well....overrated wow clone?  And all Tera so far has is twitch-combat, but I bet you all my two cents that the game will have some serious serious grind issues and lack of overall other features.

And to call the decomposing corpse that is Earthrise as something to be anticipated? Seriously. IF that game has gotten more dev time, it could be ok. as it is now its not alive, its a corpse that is slowly turning into a skeleton.

However yes,2011 is shaping up as perfect year of anticipation both for p2p and f2p genre.

On one hand we have Secret World, which is pretty much my only hope of p2p genre doing something creative and great. Considring it has R.Tornquist on the helm, I have no doubts on it being awesome.

Then we have stuff like Firefall, which is sure to bring some VERY fresh winds into whole mmo stuff. Persistent World, dynamic events and TRIBES-like gameplay? Yes fracking please.

Then we have games  from the east like Archeage, which, imo is a first true fantasy sandbox in a long long time with persisten world, house, castle, ship building, ultima-like classes and ideas and awesome graphics.

Then of course there is:

- Swordsman(first game to have a fully simulated dynamic enviroinments  and npcs who have personalities and form opinions about players, not to mention a fully living world with real-time seasons, weather, disasters, animals, birds, all affecting gameplay. And then we have community based society simulations, like player-armies, merchant guilds, market districts, governments, bandit groups, martial arts clubs and so on. No wonder its described as "having focus on player living in a world" than "leveling up".)

- Age of Wulin(another sandbox-y game with great parkour elements in the combat, no levels or classes, twitch-combat, and so on),

- Age of Titans(touted as Diablo3 Online, was not interested in it till i read that mmoculture preview on the supposed features of that game.),

- ARGO(steampunk+innovative twists on normal mmo formulla, nuff said),

- Path Of Exile(pretty much what Diablo III should have been. 3d, crossclassing, skill customization ),

and etc,etc,etc.

Even browser based games  have some games upcomming like Battlestar Galactica Online(which going by reviews so far is shaping up as quite awesome game, not something you would expect from browser based games)

2012 is looking great too with possible Torchlight MMO, new blizzard mmo and other things.

You shouldn't "etiquette" TOR and TERA like that. I am very skeptical about TOR tbh, but ill keep my mind open and see. Is Bioware after all. And TERA is looking very good already. I will try that one for sure.

I do agree Archage is looking extremly interesting but don't expect that for 2011. OB in Korea is set for NOV 2010, so I wouldn't expect a release in NA/EU before Q4 2012.

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and TERA....

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Same for me, GW 2 amd TERA are must play for me. SW:TOR, no...

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

Guild Wars 2 for the PvP and the dynamic world events.

The Old Republic for the Bioware story and characters.

Firefall for the FPS action (and because I loved Tribes).

dawn of fantasy is comming aut jun 3

its a tiny one.

• RaikoLivesRaikoLives Member Posts: 89

Blade and Soul from Team Bloodlust - published by NCSoft - should release in Korea this year (surely) and I'll be keen to see the reaction it gets there. Hopefully, with such a big budget so far, the game will get translated quick and we should be playing B&S by early to mid 2012. Till then TERA, Secret World and TOR will be my "to watch" list.