Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT Beta then Quit??

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by cybrinsanity

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

That's not how it works. You have to show people what kind of game you've got, not hold back and trick them into buying. Rift - 1.6 million boxes/subs by launch!
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably enjoy the game. 

Good lord, what kind of approach is that to life?

Keep your expectations low..? lol what?

No, I have high expectations of any game that asks for my money and time, and I demand that the devs raise their game to meet them. Thats their job.

Sure, by taking this route you will dissapointed more in the short term, but in the long term we will actually get better games, rather then the turgid recycled linear snoozefest that is Rift.

Low expectations will only, in the end, get you bad games.

First thing you've posted on the rift forum that i agree with.

Well, seeing how I have been saying Rift is a turgid recycled linear snoozefest for a while now, I find that strange :P

• powerbaitpowerbait Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Riftsoldier

I believe they are now getting serious about testing server needs.

The previous 4 beta sessions have been limited to those that either were invited or those that purchased the game.

This 5th beta will open up the floodgates with a huge number of Rift fans and friends of fans that are all interested in the game. This will push the servers alot more.

So this is a real server test and gives new players a chance to really test the game out and see how thier computer works with the game and how the game feels to individual player interest.

It's really an exciting time in the Beta and I am finally going to start my download and be giving out beta access to many close friends so they can participate as well. Out of the 25 spots I was given I will use up at least 8 of them or more. I am sure there are many people that are in my shoes that want to try out the game as well.

This beta time will help me decide on pc upgrade needs as well since the release is comming in about a month.

Due to this multi-VIP invite I think we will see server needs grow alot. I hope they are prepaired for the amount of people interested. It would be a shame to see server que and sluggish server performance due to having too many people per server.

I guess we will find out this week.

ummm we had 100+ player queues in beta 4.

In my opinion Trion is inviting wayyyyyy too many people to this thing. 

Honestly this is the smartest stress test I can see any company doing... they sent out vip keys with a newsletter saying that people have been asking for keys for their guild members, instead of having just an open beta allowing people to pass keys along and work through the gaming communities and other websites from other players is a smart smart move IMO.

------------------------------
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives.
    ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Lanfea

the fictional marketing plan of trion worlds for rift:
    - during february trion will do two more 'close beta event' which will take every player close to the level cap and the endgame content
    - with the last 'close beta event' trion announce that all pre-orders will keep their characters from the 'close beta events'

Why do people always think there's a possibility of keeping a beta character at launch. This has never happened and will never happen.
  • terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Originally posted by jpnole

- during february trion will do two more 'close beta event' which will take every player close to the level cap and the endgame content

- with the last 'close beta event' trion announce that all pre-orders will keep their characters from the 'close beta events'

Why do people always think there's a possibility of keeping a beta character at launch. This has never happened and will never happen.

I think it happens in f2ps...could be wrong. I could say it will probably happen in the future. You already pay 10 dollars extra to get a headstart, why not 20 to keep a beta toon? It's a win win for the company. I think it would work with open beta characters, closed, not so much.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Trion is still fine-tuning, and to me not much more needs to be tuned.  This game is more polished right now then any game has been at launch in the history of MMOS.  However they are not resting, every beta has had HUGE changed and additions to the patch.  So thinking even BETA5=Launch is ludicrous.  Beta 4, one of the biggest complaints was anti-aliasing.  Well that has been addressed now and AA is in.

Souls have been changed, mechanics have been changed (the Rogue energy issues being a major one).  Beta 1 you could only chose 1 of 3 souls to start, and was level 18 before you could even get your 3rd.

what you are getting with RIFT, is a solid MMO (not groundbreaking) made by a company who is heads above the rest in terms of customer support, working with the player base, and putting out a successful MMO.  I initially thought RIFT would launch at around 200k subs, but with the way they are advertising (using players as advertisers) and using Beta as a hype builder, I expect the initial launch to reach 1 mil.  There are A LOT of bored MMO'ers out there, looking for a new home.  

Is RIFT for everyone of them.  No not even close.  Is it a fun game with a good community, good devs, solid group pvp and pve, that will keep quite a few happy til the true next Gen game comes along.

Also you dont have to quest grind, or follow the linear so to speak quest line.  Want to quest goto an area that is level appropriate, you dont have to do each little hub.  I personally leveled 1 char from 10 to 27 on RIFTs/Invasions/Footholds, and PVP, I leveled another char from 10-27 on questing, few rifts, no pvp and some dungeon crawls.  It is NOT linear, progress in what you feel is fun

• IroncladIronclad Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by jpnole - Why do people always think there's a possibility of keeping a beta character at launch. This has never happened and will never happen.

Pretty sure it happened with Perpetuum.  That was their plan but I did not play after beta so I can't confirm it.

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by ruonim

Just curious but how it seems Trion is being very liberal with Beta Keys, Are there any worries of playing the game and getting the full experience through beta then not wanting to do it again for release?? just seems to me that once everyone has played the beta events all the way through, they wont want to return for release?? no?? curious what everyone else thinks about this?! Post your thoughts!!

5 weeks to release = game went gold. Now only minor bug fixes can get throu.

this version = retail version.

This couldnt be more wrong . They are constantly changing the game each beta phase so this is definatly not retail version you can disagree all you like but Trion is doing it right.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably enjoy the game. 

Good lord, what kind of approach is that to life?

Keep your expectations low..? lol what?

No, I have high expectations of any game that asks for my money and time, and I demand that the devs raise their game to meet them. Thats their job.

Sure, by taking this route you will dissapointed more in the short term, but in the long term we will actually get better games, rather then the turgid recycled linear snoozefest that is Rift.

Low expectations will only, in the end, get you bad games.

First thing you've posted on the rift forum that i agree with.

Well, seeing how I have been saying Rift is a turgid recycled linear snoozefest for a while now, I find that strange :P

I dont agree with your opinions on rift but i do agree on high expectations. Not super insane retardation high like most of these people have for GW2 but i do think its good to expect a game to be good.

These are video games aye? Designed for us to play and enjoy them. going into a beta or new release expecting not to have a good time or expecting a game to be partially broken is stupid.

Too many people do that shit with sandbox games, they go in expecting the game to be complete garbage... seems like a tremendous waste of time to me.

Edit: Bahhh sarcasm... lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Atlan99

I think its a good thing. This way we won't have to listen to people who have no intention of buying whining about a free trial.

This kind of obvious logic....usually is over the heads of the people that you WILL see whine about a free trial. 

I feel very fortunate to have been able to play during the beta weekends, but something tells me that the "whiners" will still whine. I truly hope the best for this game though. It would be great to start the gaming year off with fireworks instead of the usual tomatoes.

I hope ya'll have a hit on your hands. Would be a nice change of pace.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

the statement was meant to be rhetorical and should open the opportunity to discuss new possible marketing mechanisms. sorry that i wasn't capable to make it more clear.

• crunchybackcrunchyback Member Posts: 44

the statement was meant to be rhetorical and should open the opportunity to discuss new possible marketing mechanisms. sorry that i wasn't capable to make it more clear.

Even with the fictional scenario, going through an "beta" where character are not wiped happens far too often.  So often that people almost expect it to happen.

For me this means it wasnt an a beta at all.  I think this happens more with the free games however... giving the community a free week doesnt make much sense for a p2p game, but it does when its an open beta with the cash shop open.

However i do love the communy reaction to learning their beta character will wipe...the "i dont want to regrind the same stuff over again" is my favoriote....then why did you opt to play the beta to begin with, and why did you grind and not test stuff?

If Rift turns out to be bug free and runs smooth, im sure they will have a free preview weekend, often called open beta, just to see how the server react to the swarm of people. 

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

I can not wait to play this game. I have spent only a short amount of time in all the beta events so far, but the time I did spend was nothing short of refreshing and FUN! I love it. I have not had so much fun in an MMO in so long. I am excited and on edge all at the same time about playing RIFT. Is it going to be an open world? Will there be loading screens all the time? Are we all in the same chunk on the sever? From what I have seen on the Beta so far, we are all the same chunk of server space. About that open world with no load screens. I am not sure. But for real, I had fun with the beta, and I am sure I will have more extended fun with the beta. Did I pre-order? Hell yes I did =)) I love what I have played so far!!

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by crunchyback

If Rift turns out to be bug free and runs smooth, im sure they will have a free preview weekend, often called open beta, just to see how the server react to the swarm of people. 

Do you guys not even read the stuff on these forums?? Just where exactly do you expect them to put this open beta free preview weekend?

They have planned 7 Beta events from the start. The last will end on Feb 21st, and on Feb 24th the headstart begins on live. Thats a 6 day break between 5 and 6, a 7 day break between 6 and 7, and a 2 day break between 7 and headstart. Pretty much the same aggressive Beta event scheedule they have had since #1.

Also, I know several ALPHA testers, and we aren't scratching the surface of the content from what they see on thier load. And since nobody but the ALPHA team has even been past level 25 so far, there is NO WAY anyone can say they have seen everything in this game. Its just not true.

Here look at it this way, everyone likes to compare everything to WoW, fine lets shall we. In Vanilla WoW (cap was 60), did you 'see everything' there was to see in that game when you played the first half of the levels?? Really, by playing Vanilla WoW from 1 to 30 you seen it all. How about 1 to 42.5 now, seen everything they have to offer before you hit level 43 do ya?? Hey, if thats the case in WoW, well then there really is no end game at all is there. Just a thought huh.

But hey thats ok, yall just go right ahead and jump to conclusions and assume there just isn't stuff there. I'm sure I probably wont even notice your not playing when the game goes live.

Beta 5: Battle of the Ascended

• Jan 25th, 18:00 GMT - Jan 28th, 18:00 GMT

• Levels 1-30 (Guardian and Defiant)

• Access to Scarlet Gorge, Foul Cascade and the Codex Warfront!

• Eight forces all vie for control as the battle for Telara rages on! Take up the mantle as a noble Guardian or a techno-magical Defiant to confront extra-planar forces and enemy players as you explore this dynamic world.

• Play to win! Defeat any player of the opposite faction in Scarlet Gorge or a Warfront and you could be eligible to win an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card! Terms and conditions apply, click here for details. And In-Game Prize Packs will be given away to ten (10) select players who complete the objective!

Beta 6: Planar War

• Feb 4th, 18:00 GMT - Feb 7th, 18:00 GMT

• Levels 1-35 (Guardian and Defiant)

• Access to Scarwood Reach, King's Breach and the Whitefall Warfront!

• Telara is left in chaos as the elemental planes force their way into reality. The armies of Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Life, and Death launch devastating invasions through the rifts opening across the land. Beat back the invasions and eliminate the planar blight that's eroding this once-peaceful world.

• Play to win! Seal any rift and receive planar loot and you could be eligible to win an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card! Terms and conditions apply, click here for details. And In-Game Prize Packs will be given away to ten (10) select players who complete the objective!

Beta 7: Telara the Merciless

• Feb 15th, 18:00 GMT - Feb 21nd, 18:00 GMT

• Levels 1-42 (Guardian and Defiant)

• Access to Moonshade, Droughtlands and the Runic Descent Warfront!

• A tireless and unending horde, invaders from the planes continue their assault on Telara. The final (beta) battle is at hand and the fate of the planet depends on the courage and strength of Telara's champions. Become one of the Ascended and fight for a world that's on the brink of losing all hope.

• Play to win! Defeat any dungeon boss and you could be eligible to win an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 video card! Terms and conditions apply, click here for details. And In-Game Prize Packs will be given away to ten (10) select players who complete the objective!
  • rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Well for me I have been in since beta1.I basically logged on played  for several hours checked out the system the game play etc etc and logged off haven't been back in for any other events I pre ordered and will play come release time.Once I seen the game would be good on any beta i play I do not play it anymore after that other than perhaps actually doing what your supposed to do in beta report bugs and the things that annoy you.I plan to play a lil this next event for that purpose.I see no point in ppl playing beta hardcore like they do.But whatever works for them some people wanna know everything and race to the top soon as it goes retail they feel it somehow is a accomplishment and gives them some joy for there rl I guess,

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by just1opinion

I think its a good thing. This way we won't have to listen to people who have no intention of buying whining about a free trial.

This kind of obvious logic....usually is over the heads of the people that you WILL see whine about a free trial. 

I feel very fortunate to have been able to play during the beta weekends, but something tells me that the "whiners" will still whine. I truly hope the best for this game though. It would be great to start the gaming year off with fireworks instead of the usual tomatoes.

You're kinda awesome.  I hope whatever you're waiting for turns out to be great as well.

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

I love to say I love!! I mean, uhhhhhh bump!!!

• Pro-PainPro-Pain Member Posts: 141

I  am gonna use the upcoming betas to check out the game and report any bugs (of course^^).  Whether or not I like it I won't be playing at launch because my work season starts around the same time.  Bridge construction makes gaming hard for me eight months a year.  But if I do find the gameplay in the beta good trion will have one more customer down the road.  At least this way I can form my own opinion and not listen to others or wait on a free trial.

the struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Actually, what the OP talks about is why I don't play beta's anymore.  I'd rather wait for few months after launch and start fresh, no chance of burning out re-running the same content I did in beta.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by just1opinion

It definitely is  a solid game. TBH it doesn't really feel like a beta. It has less bugs than alot of released games I've played, mmo or otherwise.

Your right about whining though. Its seems to be unavoidable with MMO's. With normal video games people just move on to the next game. However with mmo's it turns into a witchhunt trying to stake and burn every new release.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Pro-Pain

I  am gonna use the upcoming betas to check out the game and report any bugs (of course^^).  Whether or not I like it I won't be playing at launch because my work season starts around the same time.  Bridge construction makes gaming hard for me eight months a year.  But if I do find the gameplay in the beta good trion will have one more customer down the road.  At least this way I can form my own opinion and not listen to others or wait on a free trial.

oooooooooo, ooooooo,

Yeah, come play in BETA - I likes me some inexperienced (dont play much) people in PvP. Gives me a chance to win sometimes. Dont worrry, I'll let ya kill me once in a while too (ummm probably more than...ok yeah I suck but...). Its all part of the testing too, I will test how good my ganking skills are and you can test how to panic and run away!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, I am pretty sure Trion believes in the game and anyone who quit after a few days beta will not be a steady subscriber anyways, instead they would might become another forum troll that whines because they wasted some money and to be honest is it better for them in the long run that the people who likes the game buys it.

Both WAR and AoC were hurt badly because they got bad critic on forums, it didn't impact the preorders and the first weeks but many people stayed away from the game because they heard that they were bad.

MMOs earn their money on monthly subs (well, most P2P at least) and it is in Trions interest to have happy customers. Anone who quits a MMO after a weeks gaming will not be a happy customer. Happy customers will however often attracts more happy customers since word spreads mouth to mouth.

It is actually a smart system. 

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

I've played every beta so far and I keep coming back for more.  I mean honestly this is an MMO.  If people are getting burnt out b/c the saw level 40 content and played for a total of 3 days times 7 beta events which is only 21 days then this MMO is probebly not worth subbing to.

The few people that decide not to sub b/c they are already tired of the game after such a short amount of time probebly wont be such a big loss to Trion as its pretty obvious they are looking for long time subscribers based on their aggressive sub plans.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

The one concept I think younger people have the most difficult time grasping is the fact that not every game/mmo/piece of entertainment is designed to be enjoyed by everyone. One of the early posters in this thread stated something very true and deserves to be repeated.

If you dont have fun in the first 15 to 20 levels of this game or really any game your not likely to have fun in the following 15 or 20 levels. You might as well just put the game down and move on and realise this one just isnt for you.

As for the beta events...these are primarily for PR as well as stress testing their systems I imagine. They do have a regular beta that is completely seperate from these beta events. That is where the normal "testers" actually are.

In addition if you get burned out just by playing these beta events this game also is probably not for you. So far there have only been 4 events each one lasting an average of about 3 days.  If you can get burned out playing a game over the course of about 12 days then obviously there is not enough content or pleasure to be found in the game and you might as well wait months or more post release to play if you play at all post release. Every MMO I buy I expect to last at least 3 months if not longer. None have lasted longer than 3 months since EQ though.

I have not personally made up my mind if I am going to buy this one yet or not..but I am leaning on the side of yes to buy and hoping there is enough content to last more than 3 months. My most favorite feature of the game so far is the soul system and its the one thing that will likely tip me into the buy category in the end.

Still waiting for an MMO to come up with Combat 2.0 or 3.0 - and by that I am not looking for FPS or FPS like combat but rather EQ style combat that has been improved to something much more advanced. I want both strategic and tactical combat in an EQ style system. Some day perhaps someone will make such a game. Of course You could say guildwars did but even at that I am looking for something more advanced.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

I might agree, IF I only wanted to play "one faction", "one race", "one calling" with the same set of Souls, basically Only One Character...  But that's not me!  I can think of at least 7 different characters I'd like to play; two Clerics, two Mages, one Rogue, and two Warriors.  Now will I feel like I'm "overly familiar" with the storyline and quests by the time I get half way through all these?  Yeah, I probably will.  Still I think the potential for creating lots of different characters will keep me subscribing for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.