Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the PvP in this game?

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Looked at a youtube review and the game looks good. However with Earthrise being released soon, how is the PvP in this game? Does it have any purpose?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Last I checked it was more an alliance vs alliance PvP than a faction vs faction. If you're asking for balance, there are always people moaning about how melee vs pistols vs rifles is unbalanced.

Now, if you're asking whether it's fun, no idea.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am more asking if there is any point to it, other than it being fun. Like holding some territory is actually holds some in game value or is it just for bragging rights?

Yes, you can hold territory for your guild/ alliance, but in terms of Lineage, aka restrict access to those you don't want in by force of arms. Not as in holding a castle and lock the doors.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hm sounds interesting. But then again Earthrise release is just around the corner, and it is supposed to be PvP centric.

Well, at the time I left FE was more of a crafter's paradise. The world feeling was also very prominent. Target and aiming though needs some getting used to. Melee is the easiest of the three gun choices, pistols chew ammo compared to rifles, but are more forgiving with misses.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Yamota

I am more asking if there is any point to it, other than it being fun. Like holding some territory is actually holds some in game value or is it just for bragging rights?

There are some materials that are only available in conflict areas. This has sometimes motivated fights. But ya mostly bragging rights.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

When I was there (Oct/Nov 2010) there wasn't a lot of motivation behind the PVP, but there were supposed to be updates coming that would improve on it.

That said, I doubt any game not designed for PVP from the ground up will every truely match the experience of one that is (like perhaps Earthrise) so I'd probably say hold out for that one.

My biggest issue with FE was once I got past level 25 or so I ran into a real wasteland, in terms of no players around anywhere and every clan I tried to join was a dying entity that was struggling to retain members (because they were leaving the game, not because they were going to other clans)

Maybe its better now, but back when I left it was discouraging. Shame really, because I did enjoy the game, but you can't have an MMORPG w/o at least some folks to hang around with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

They have been increasing the importance of pvp goals in the game over time and will increase it more in the current plans.

As you control pvp areas you increase a bonus for all members of the faction the area's are controlled by, very similar to the bonuses you got from holding keeps and relics in daoc but not as dramatic as the relic bonuses there.

If I understood the last interview with the lead dev right then they will merge crafting and PvP on a personal level where you can via crafting upgrade faction armors but you need pvp in order to get the materials or recipes.

Even though they have revamped the entire damage system they are still not finished with the current rewamp of the combat. At the moment you need to click way too many abilities constantly while at the same time manually aim and that kind of combat is simply too frustrating for most people to enjoy. So they are going to change abilities so there will be fewer but more dramatic abilities to use and the manual movements and aiming will become more important . But they are not there yet and it could easily take months before we see it.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

to be honest with you PvP is real bad in this game.

It is sort of an after thought. It is so badly planned and drawn up it makes me shiver to even atempt it again.

Forinstance:

1/ Blood sports lvl 40-50(same for all other lvls too), a level 40 cannot damage a lvl 45+, lvls 40-44 are just cannon fodder.

2/ The PvP'ers have lost the plot, they now even attack their own faction! without penalty, its everyman for himself?, nope it has become a clan war, the travellers always have the main Haietta 40-50 conflict town under their control and thats about it, nobody else is big enough to take em on. If you enter the zone they kill you on sight and mark your whole clan KOS. These guys are real pvpers, but the system is so missmatched and bug ridden these guys know all the ways to cheat!"

3/ the rest of the game is very good, but PvP is total rubbish!