Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-Virus Software question, please advise.

evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this, but i figured this was a good enough spot.

I'm one of those morons that won't pony up for Anti-virus software, using free Malawarebytes to take care of things when I do get hit with the virus here and there.

You could say I've seen the light after "System Tool" almost disabled my computer, so I wanted to ask some advice on what software I should get ?

I've liked the free version of Malawarebytes and was considering purchasing the full version, but I'm open to other programs as well, what do you guys use ?

Thanks!

Comments

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

well most likely depending on your internet service they should offer a free one i get norton for free with comcast. you should look into that

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Avast..........just google it, It's FREE.

I have it, a lot of my friends have it...........Easy to download, then they e-mail you a key.   Every year they will e-mail you telling that you have to update the key.......No spam, no nothing.   The Free version is good, it will tell you  that the free version watered down but it's not, it catches everything !!!

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, light weight, and extremely easy to use. More importantly, unlike other vendors, Microsoft isn't giving you a limited version to try to get you to upgrade to a paid version. They want you to be as secure as possible so you have a good experience with Windows and continue to use Windows.

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by page

Avast..........just google it, It's FREE.

I have it, a lot of my friends have it...........Easy to download, then they e-mail you a key.   Every year they will e-mail you telling that you have to update the key.......No spam, no nothing.   The Free version is good, it will tell you  that the free version watered down but it's not, it catches everything !!!

Terrible intrusive over bloated crap. Avast is probably the worst anti-virus I've used in pretty much my entire life.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, it's unobtrusive and it does it's job. Anti-Virus really isn't that important anyway, since most vriuses/adware/malware aren't even detected. The best protection is to not be a moron.

Microsoft Security Essentials stays out of your way and uses very low resources. 

I used to use AVG, but that's becoming a pretty big pain just like Avast. Trust me, I don't need my antivirus telling me it's there in one way or another, every 15min. I really don't. 

If AVG or Avast were people working for me, I would tell them to STFU and do their ****ing job. 

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Microsoft Security Essentials is all you need.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I used AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials the most, but I also used Norton, Zonealarm, and Avast!.

I always liked AVG Free or Microsoft Security essentials.  I never noticed an enormous difference in resource use or anything.  I liked both of them a lot, and would recommend either one to you.

The only one that I really hated was Norton.  Talk about an annoying program.  It was practically a spam program itself.

-------------------------

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.