Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point?

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

From the GW2 faq..

"We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment."

Will there be other pvp?  Where the skills you developed and equipment you've acquired do count?

The hype around this game is unreal.   So many people think it's going to save their mmorpg lives.   No way it's gonna be released in 2011, unless they pull it out in time for a first week of December release.   Gonna be a big one though.

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Yes, world versus world pvp :)

For more info, consult your local google using that thing up there ^ :D

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Some of the mini-games are also PvP of a sort.

Like snowball fights and bar brawls. :D

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Well I'll try give you a proper answer :) They havn't covered all aspects of PvP yet in their released information but have hinted, maybe confirmed (I'm not too sure), that arena based matches will be in there as well, in the PvE areas.

This PvP area is basically kept as a seperate portion of the game so that people who love PvP or don't want to play the PvE aspect can just jump straight in and do what want without any grind. Thats the point, the grind is removed. They have also hinted that this PvP area will have PvP only perks (equipment (appereance only perhaps?), skills etc) and can only be earned by taking part in that area, possible PvE perks earned this way also. Note that they havn't stated that everyone will have the same skills in the PvP area or that skills earned in PvE won't be allowed, they just said you can take part without having to unlock skills first.. much like GW1.

The main thing to note here is that they havn't said this will be the only way to take part in PvP

Bear in mind that I state they have hinted.. there is some speculation here and anything I have said shouldn't be taken as absolute fact. I don't read everything from them.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by aovannor

Well I'll try give you a proper answer :) They havn't covered all aspects of PvP yet in their released information but have hinted, maybe confirmed (I'm not too sure), that arena based matches will be in there as well, in the PvE areas.

This PvP area is basically kept as a seperate portion of the game so that people who love PvP or don't want to play the PvE aspect can just jump straight in and do what want without any grind. Thats the point, the grind is removed. They have also hinted that this PvP area will have PvP only perks (equipment (appereance only perhaps?), skills etc) and can only be earned by taking part in that area, possible PvE perks earned this way also. Note that they havn't stated that everyone will have the same skills in the PvP area or that skills earned in PvE won't be allowed, they just said you can take part without having to unlock skills first.. much like GW1.

The main thing to note here is that they havn't said this will be the only way to take part in PvP

Bear in mind that I state they have hinted.. there is some speculation here and anything I have said shouldn't be taken as absolute fact. I don't read everything from them.

In structured PvP (what they've taken to calling the GW2 version of GvG), all skills and traits are unlocked for your character. Everyone has the same level of equipment unlock. The idea behind this is structured PvP should be about skill vs skill, not gear vs gear. However, in the casual PvP (what - at this time - Anet has taken to calling WvWvW), you will play with your current level, gear, and skill set available.

Here is a thread on guru that has a list of all confirmed features, with sources.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/game-mechanics-confused-ones-and-t6034.html

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by loeslein

From the GW2 faq..

"We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment."

Will there be other pvp?  Where the skills you developed and equipment you've acquired do count?

The hype around this game is unreal.   So many people think it's going to save their mmorpg lives.   No way it's gonna be released in 2011, unless they pull it out in time for a first week of December release.   Gonna be a big one though.

I just love statements like this.  How could you possibly know the true state of the developement of this game?  Sure, you may be right, but a broken clock is still right twice a day.

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

From the GW2 faq..

The point is to make a competitive PvP experience, an eSport if you like. And one of the primary principles of every sport is that contestors compete on even ground.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by mmogawd

From the GW2 faq..

I just love statements like this.  How could you possibly know the true state of the developement of this game?  Sure, you may be right, but a broken clock is still right twice a day.

I don't, but they still have 4 classes to announce lol.   You really think they're going to be like "Oh hey, here's the other 4 classes and beta, games done, see you in the live release by June"?

No way.   Sure the game graphically looks pretty much assembled, but these guys arn't going to miss the mark with all the dynamic quest content they promised.  That kind of development looks like it takes a looooong time.   I'm sure they're going to take a page right out of the Blizzard handbook and not release until it's VERY polished.

Look how long everyone sat around for Starcraft 2, made by a company with technically unlimited development resources. 

Look at the news section on the website.

THE LAST CLASS WAS ANNOUNCED IN AUGUST.

I would easily bet 5% of my yearly income GW2 doesn't get released by the first week of December 2011.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

From the GW2 faq..

I don't, but they still have 4 classes to announce lol.   You really think they're going to be like "Oh hey, here's the other 4 classes and beta, games done, see you in the live release by June"?

No way.   Sure the game graphically looks pretty much assembled, but these guys arn't going to miss the mark with all the dynamic quest content they promised.  That kind of development looks like it takes a looooong time.   I'm sure they're going to take a page right out of the Blizzard handbook and not release until it's VERY polished.

Look how long everyone sat around for Starcraft 2, made by a company with technically unlimited development resources. 

I would easily bet 5% of my yearly income GW2 doesn't get released by the first week of December 2011.

Wow! That is an incredibly lofty claim seeing as I'd bet that they have all the classes done and are just working on balancing issues. Environments are most certainly almost done. I can definitely see an early 2012 release, but I also see a Q3/Q4 2011 release even more likely. I sure hope you hold onto that money you have.

• Leonidus0Leonidus0 Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by KillHurt

From the GW2 faq..

Wow! That is an incredibly lofty claim seeing as I'd bet that they have all the classes done and are just working on balancing issues. Environments are most certainly almost done. I can definitely see an early 2012 release, but I also see a Q3/Q4 2011 release even more likely. I sure hope you hold onto that money you have.

You seem a bit desperate. I doubt the game will release this year. We might see a closed beta in 2012. We might see the game release at the end of 2012. That is the best and most realistic prediction. Get out of dream land.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Leonidus0

From the GW2 faq..

You seem a bit desperate. I doubt the game will release this year. We might see a closed beta in 2012. We might see the game release at the end of 2012. That is the best and most realistic prediction. Get out of dream land.

Did you know they aren't going to have a closed beta and only an open beta close to launch?

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Technically, they won't even have an open beta.

They cleary stated that betas nowadays are only used as trials by consumers. So they have been testing A LOT in closed beta, and use gameshows as testing. Open beta will be nothing but promotion right before launch. I would expect the game to lanch cery soon after open "beta."

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

They cleary stated that betas nowadays are only used as trials by consumers. So they have been testing A LOT in closed beta, and use gameshows as testing. Open beta will be nothing but promotion right before launch. I would expect the game to lanch cery soon after open "beta."

True. I remember they said somewhere that they bring random people in to test out certain concepts and stuff like that.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

That wouldn't be very wise.

Yes beta are nothing else but commercials but they still let them get the overall feeling of the community over their game and can spot the first and main problems coming out. Taste are not something you could really argue about, but its still very important, sometime even the over all taste grip of the comunity is important enought to not be ignored. A lot of time what is tested on a small scale cannot give an idea of what the community grips will be. And if they are nothing else but marketing trick its just because no company had the balls to postpon their product over some main "problems", maybe not coding problem; but problem of taste, and usuelly those problems are both coding and core design problems. If mmo companies had the habits to do so, close/open beta test would mean something more than marketing trick. So in fact the ball is in their hand not in the gamer hands if you know what i mean.

I have yet to see a mmo where the mass concensus of the players during open/closed beta wasn't spot on, they were all super accurate in fact and this concensus always turned to be the major problem in all mmo i tested up to today. I could make the lits of all those tester concensus that mmo companies just ignored and became "game" breaking (from coding but also commercial point of view right, i'm not the one that will make a distinction here). From Uo and the notoriety system (good and evil) up to today Rift grip from not being inovative enought, all of those concensus was just so much accurate. Stuff that the game just totally overlooked, and even if they made it on purpose just like most of them think, this is overlooked; and is still more important than what the dev would want it to be. In fact the fact they made it on purpose is were lye their weakness, they still should face those problem and change thier point of view imo. I defy anyone to find me a tester consensus that didn't turned up to be the main problem the mmo faced few months ahead in their development, once moe it can be coding or commercial problem,the nature of the problem doesn't matter in fact.

Now the fact the companies never in fact really used that tool (tester concensus), its in fact their own fault. Maybe test the game before even thinking to launch it, maybe that would be more usefull for us all?

• SeivalSeival Member Posts: 136

From the GW2 faq..

I wanna tell you an instructive story, my friend.

"Once upon a time I was a big WoW fun and spend a lot of time doing PvP. I liked the PvP and I had a friend who did not know about WoW. And I started to describe my friend how wonderfull WoW PvP is. My friend was very exited and decided to try WoW. He purchased the game, installed it and sayed:

-Hay, my WoW is ready, lets do some PvP together?

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... First you have to level up to level 80.

-O_o

-WoW PvP is not balanced on lower levels. Everyone will just own you out there. Besides, im level 80, so we can't play togather.

-Oooooook :/

.......................................One month passed and my friend finally reached level 80. He was very happy and told me:

-Hey, im level 80! Let's do some PvP together? :)

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... First you have to gear up.

-O_o ?!

-You need at least worst gear with resiliance, or everyone will own you on BGs and Arenas.

-Oooooooooooook :(

.......................................Two more weeks passed and my friend finally geared up. He was very happy and told me:

-Hey, I geared up! The worst gear with resilliance, as you told. Let's do some PvP togather! :)

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... The new seson started yesterday and you worst gear is totally outdated now.

-WTF?!

-Well you need to...

...But friend of mine has already logged out. And ever since I did not see him in the Azeroth..."

[Sad music on background]

Did this story teach you something, my dear friend?

[The End]

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Nice, warm, heartfelt story...but what does it have to do with what you quoted?

Nice, warm, heartfelt story...but what does it have to do with what you quoted?

>>>"Will there be other pvp?  Where the skills you developed and equipment you've acquired do count?"

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Seival

From the GW2 faq..

I wanna tell you an instructive story, my friend.

"Once upon a time I was a big WoW fun and spend a lot of time doing PvP. I liked the PvP and I had a friend who did not know about WoW. And I started to describe my friend how wonderfull WoW PvP is. My friend was very exited and decided to try WoW. He purchased the game, installed it and sayed:

-Hay, my WoW is ready, lets do some PvP together?

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... First you have to level up to level 80.

-O_o

-WoW PvP is not balanced on lower levels. Everyone will just own you out there. Besides, im level 80, so we can't play togather.

-Oooooook :/

.......................................One month passed and my friend finally reached level 80. He was very happy and told me:

-Hey, im level 80! Let's do some PvP together? :)

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... First you have to gear up.

-O_o ?!

-You need at least worst gear with resiliance, or everyone will own you on BGs and Arenas.

-Oooooooooooook :(

.......................................Two more weeks passed and my friend finally geared up. He was very happy and told me:

-Hey, I geared up! The worst gear with resilliance, as you told. Let's do some PvP togather! :)

-Well, not so fast my dear friend...(I sayed)... The new seson started yesterday and you worst gear is totally outdated now.

-WTF?!

-Well you need to...

...But friend of mine has already logged out. And ever since I did not see him in the Azeroth..."

[Sad music on background]

Did this story teach you something, my dear friend?

[The End]

How exactly he got every single piece of gladiator set in 2 weeks?

WoW Is easier than I thought....

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

GW2 does not need pvp imo. I hope they put all there concentration into bringing out the story driven online RPG. And so far it looks like they have.

But they still have plenty of time to give more on the pvp details. Cant imagine they would not put effort into it, its what made GW a success so you here. But for me not being hugely into pvp, GW's story and gamelay is what makes it awsome for me.

Originally posted by dinams

Indeed :)

I wrote 2 weeks for gear up hoping someone who knows WoW will reply and prove that distance between "Purchase WoW" and "start to play WoW" is even more then 1.5 month. Especially for PvP.

So I hope that ArenaNet will not make the same mistake as Activision-Blizzard did. And it looks like ArenaNet have learned the other developer lesson well:

"We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment."

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Seival

Originally posted by dinams

Indeed :)

I wrote 2 weeks for gear up hoping someone who knows WoW will reply and prove that distance between "Purchase WoW" and "actally start to play WoW" is even more then 1.5 month. Especially for PvP.

So I hope that ArenaNet will not make the same mistake as Activision-Blizzard did. And it looks like ArenaNet have learned the other developer lesson well:

"We're applying this same philosophy to competitive play. Players will be able to engage in organized, balanced PvP (similar to GvG in the original Guild Wars) without first leveling up characters, finding equipment, and unlocking skills. While inside the organized PvP area, all characters will be the same power level and will have access to the same equipment."

I don't think it matters much in W vs W either since low level newbies can be distractions for the enemy, hehe.

This is not a game.

Well, I think they will be more then just a distractions :)

While in WoW "80-poor-geared" are just distractions for "80-well-geared". Im not telling what is level 10 against level 80 in WoW. A bad joke maybe?

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by coxyroxy

GW2 does not need pvp imo. I hope they put all there concentration into bringing out the story driven online RPG. And so far it looks like they have.

But they still have plenty of time to give more on the pvp details. Cant imagine they would not put effort into it, its what made GW a success so you here. But for me not being hugely into pvp, GW's story and gamelay is what makes it awsome for me.

Guild wars 1 has the best MMO PvP of pretty much any game for balance and entertainment. So not having an improved version in guild wars 2 would be extremely sad. The reason why they're not pushing it so much is because everyone playing/played gw1 knows that PvP will always be awesome in gw2.

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Guild wars 1 has the best MMO PvP of pretty much any game for balance and entertainment. So not having an improved version in guild wars 2 would be extremely sad. The reason why they're not pushing it so much is because everyone playing/played gw1 knows that PvP will always be awesome in gw2.

/agree

GvG and HA teams could get highly involved.

Every skill, item, armor bit was part of an overall team synergy.  "Mixed Spike" builds might include counting down while various skills were used at various points in a countdown to nail a perfect "non-infuseable" .2s spike window.

Vary simple system that could scale to be quite complex.  Would be a shame to not carry over a somewhat similar model.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

A blast from the past!  HHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please do not necro post in old threads.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.