Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first impression playing TERA Open Beta

dr1ftx3dr1ftx3 Member Posts: 13

Disclaimer:  I will not explain or elaborate on how to play the beta, if you really want to, you will find a way.

This review is based on my experience thus far up to level 20.

Guys, the hype is real.  If you have been reading up, watching videos, exploring lore or just browsing forums in anticipation of this game, let me just tell you....TERA is everything you've hoped for and MORE.  

Character creation is a breeze, but sliders are limited to the head only.  Height, weight, length, etc etc are all locked by which race you choose.  Don't let this fool you though, there are more than enough customization options to set yourself apart from the rest.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a deep review of my encounters in the land of Arborea, mainly because the game is completely in Korean, but what I can do is provide my honest opinion of the games mechanics, gameplay, and attention to detail.  First off, the game is absolutely beautiful.  Coming from Aion, this game takes graphics to an even HIGHER level, which I was very very skeptical about.  Make sure you upgrade your graphics cards because you don't want to miss out on the beauty that this game exudes.  Mind you, the client itself is 22 gigs before patching...you get the picture.  Player models are smooth and polished, animations are fluent and realistic and every map has been pushed to its graphical limit.  In Aion i distinctly remember a lot of the NPC's not on par with the actual character models, but in TERA each NPC has the same perfection and polish that the playable characters have.  NPC's move around, play with their weapons, tighten their armor, and do various things that they would be doing.  The maps are massive and wide, allowing you to choose your own path, or follow the sets of quests branched out from each town and camp.  You will NEVER run out of quests in TERA....there are dozens in each town, and more in each camp....so many so that I find myself even declining some!  The actual quests are very well made and create a flawless balance between the typical grind you'd expect in a Korean MMO and the quest based XP us Westerner's are used to.  As you get around 13+ the quest mobs really make you work to drop those precious quest items.  This really pleased me because I am so used to just getting 1 item from every quest mob no matter what.  Nope, not in TERA.  You need to work for those quests, sometimes grinding out 40+ mobs on a 15 item quest.  They make it so you don't even realize you're grinding while you are! 

The best part about playing TERA is that it really is like nothing I've ever played before.  I come from a background of mainstream MMO's, Ragnarok Online, WoW, WAR, AoC, Aion and so on.  So getting used to having a crosshair on your screen at all times was invigorating and felt fresh.  I chose the Archer class, coming from an FPS background I figured it would be my best bet, also I have always been fond of the ranger/sin classes.

The Archer does not upset.  New skills come about every two levels, and once that ding pops you better bet I'm off to the nearest skill trainer to grab those new skills.  ESPECIALLY because I have no clue what they do!  My favorite part of the TERA gameplay is obviously the action style combat system.  It really has me sold after two days of gameplay.  The amount of different combo's you can chain together are endless, making each monster encounter something special and fun.  Gone are the days of "Tab target, F1.........F2..........F1............F4".  In TERA you need to actually AIM at the monster you want to hit! 

Many times have I been saved by perfectly timed combo's that actually make me feel like i've accomplished something. 

Here is an example of a random mob fight.

I approach the target mob.......I get within about 19m, aim my crosshairs at it and begin to hold right click.  My bow charges with power as a slider slides through one powerup, I keep holding and it slides through the next level.....I release right click and BOOM! the mob is hit and knocked down.  I get within 15m and hold left click to start pelting it with my arrows (each hit landed returns mana).  The mob is furious and it charges me......I have to act quick or I'll be hit and knocked, I quickly press 2 and my archer whirlwind spins backward, evading the mob's blow.  I notice that the mob has summoned minions to help aid him, so I press F1 which brings up a square box on my crosshair.  Walking backward I highlight over each minion with my crosshair and they turn green once highlighted.....with all 5 selected I click again and BLAST goes my multiarrow taking out the minions with ease.  The original mob is dangerously close to me now but also low on health....I decide to finish him off.  I double tap the 4 key and with a close range melee sweeping kick and backflip finish the mob off in style .

Now remember, that was TOTALLY situational.  Every different mob yields a different battle / set of combo's.  This is what keeps the game fun!  

I can't yet report on the in's and out's of crafting system because frankly, I cannot read Korean.  There are many intricate details and random quirky things that really makes this game a blast to play. As for PVP, at this point it is a declare/accept dueling type system.  I haven't been able to get into it much because of the language barrier, but I have dueled a few people and am still undefeated :) I took down a berserker and two slayers thus far.  The instance at level 11 is a great beginner instance with an AMAZING looking boss, something players should get used to in TERA.  Throughout the campaign you'll be visited by breathtaking cinematic's, fantastical unicorn rides, and I'm sure some awe inspiring lore to come (once we can read it) 

There is much more to be told, but for now I must get some rest.  I can report on the 20+ gameplay next week.

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Thank you so much I was looking forward to some information on Tera and you have given me food for thought.

Chamber of Chains
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Thanks for the write up and keep it up :)

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by dr1ftx3

Disclaimer:  I will not explain or elaborate on how to play the beta, if you really want to, you will find a way.

I'll tell you.  You need to illegaly obtain a legitimate korean social security number (what we call it).  Which, if you don't speak or read korean very well, is exeactly what you did.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

So it's a beautiful grinder that didn't feel like a grind in the short time you played?

Asian MMOs are all about the grind, and no amount of beauty will change that.

Some people don't mind working when playing, and that's great.

I mind, so this isn't for me.

But thanks for the write-up! :)

• Originally posted by DKLond

Tera is not for everyone, have fun in you next mmorpg. Cya.

Thanks the OP for this review. Appreciated it. :)

• charoscharos Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by DKLond

So it's a beautiful grinder that didn't feel like a grind in the short time you played?

Sir pliz actualy try the game before u bash it and make a troll out of ur self ty

^_^

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by gauge2k3

I'll tell you.  You need to illegaly obtain a legitimate korean social security number (what we call it).  Which, if you don't speak or read korean very well, is exeactly what you did.

You are completely out of line for saying this.

People do have friends ya know? Especially friends who are a: Korean or b: married to a Korean or c: whatever else.

It doesn't always have to be "illegally" obtained.

You're only required to have a KSSN to open up an account. What that person does with his/her account is up to them.

Nice write up, OP.

OP, might I add that I wouldn't focus too much on how the quests are laid out.

If all goes well our version of the game should fit more with the West's...euhm, needs and wants (read: QQ this quest is boring and QQ this is still a grind).

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by gauge2k3

The most popular choice is buying an already made and verified account. Which is, in essence, what you described.

Another way is to have a Korean friend, pretty unlikely, but I do know a few who does. Also, I know there exist "press" accounts that has been given during certain events to more "important" people. However, those are extremely rare.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

It's not grind if it doesn't feel like it, period. You must have totally missed the OP cause what you said is exactly the opposite of what he suggests. Grind is something repetitive and according to OP it never felt like that.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Even lineage 2 didnt feel like a grind the first couple of days.  Give it a week or two before we know what its like at higher levels.

Originally posted by Sfaliara

It's not grind if it doesn't feel like it, period. You must have totally missed the OP cause what you said is exactly the opposite of what he suggests. Grind is something repetitive and according to OP it never felt like that.

Well, killing a lot of similar mobs is a repetitive thing to do. So yeah, you could call it a grind regardless of whether it is something that is fun or not.
    To me personally grinding can be a lot of fun and quite a relaxing activity if the combat system is good and you are 'doing it for a cause' worthy enough (and when there is the odd chance on something very shiny dropping at your feet).
    To me there are much more important considerations and questions in regard to Tera right now :

How does the world look and feel? Is it large, diverse and immersive enough?

How are characters and character development done in regard to looks / itemization / personalization?

How open is the world in regard to pvp on pvp servers? What kind of mechanics in regard to pvp will they implement?

Will there be enough alternative gameplay options next to simply questing and grinding?

How much end game content is there? Are there enough long term goals to work for?

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Thank you for the preview. I'm kinda getting excited for 2011 for mmos. After testing Rift I know that game will be well done and fun and now with positive previews of TOR, GW2 & TERA this year is going to totally rock face. What a great time to be a mmorpg fan.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

no annoying anime games please... and above all no to furries

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Hmm, can't really comment on the grind at such a low level? For example FFXIV was fine until 20, then it was a brick wall. I heard Aion was pretty smooth sailing till X level also.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So far so good.

But I never doubted that the game would look great or that the combat would feel fresh.

My 2 concern is: 1. Grind. 2. Group dynamics.

And I still need more info about those 2.

Thanks for the info anyways, I hope you post more about later levels, they are after all the most important ones. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Thank you for the preview. I'm kinda getting excited for 2011 for mmos. After testing Rift I know that game will be well done and fun and now with positive previews of TOR, GW2 & TERA this year is going to totally rock face. What a great time to be a mmorpg fan.

Best in a long time, but I have a feeling that not all of those game will deliver in the long run. After all need a MMO to be fun to play long term as well. 

But I am happy if just 1 of them do, even Rift is better than anything that have released for several years and while Rift have it's point it is the lowest on my hype list and have been so for a year.

TERA at least looks awesome, I never were that impressed by AION but this is in another leauge.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Originally posted by Sfaliara

I agree that grind is about perception.

What others call fun gameplay, like the OP said about having to kill 40 mobs for 15 drops - I call a grind. If the gameplay is utterly fantastic, then why - exactly - don't I get a drop for each mob? What purpose does this extra work serve? I think we all know the answer to that. It's about stretching content and NOTHING else.

It's true that I could be wrong, and that this will be the first asian major MMO that doesn't feel like a grind, once you've gotten over the pretty visuals. This has been my experience with Lineage, FFXI and the others that I've tried.

The thing is that I'm basing this on the overall design philosophy of every asian game that I've ever played - like the Final Fantasy series, and a ton of other singleplayer franchises.

I've got nothing against asians or what they prefer - but you'd have to be blind not to see that their conditioning relating to effort versus reward is different from the perception in the US, and especially the EU.

As a scandinavian, I'm not interested in working needlessly for my rewards. Work, again, is about perception. There's no clear-cut definition that I can use.

All I can say is that when I play a game, I want my skill rewarded - rather than my work. Some people just want their reward no matter what, but that doesn't make sense to me. I think if you're good, you should be able to reap the benefits - so the investment makes sense. Time is, of course, a factor in becoming good - but it should definitely not be the primary factor.

All subscription based games suffer from opportunism. The people backing games want a maximum return on their investment, which means they want players playing for as long as it's possible. That's human nature.

The difference is that the asian players are used to working much harder for the same return, than us "spoiled" westeners. I'm not going to argue what's right or wrong - but suffice it to say that I think work in a game is a misunderstanding.

If Tera ends up not being a grind, based on the general western perception, I will acknowledge and declare myself wrong.

But everything I've heard suggests that it IS a grind, but then - I'm pretty good at ignoring the benefits and focusing on what I think is truly important - in the long term. That it looks great is very nice, and the combat feel is essential. But those things won't matter squat to me, if it means I have to invest too much into it. It's a game, and I should have fun in it - both short term and long term. At least for as long as I keep paying.

I could just stop playing, naturally - but I don't see the point of even starting play, if I can already see the grind it will end up becoming.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Thanks alot OP.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Great write up. I felt like I was right there with you playing. Also from what I've seen so far this looks like the game for me. I'm just curious and a bit concenred with what exactly the devs mean by westernize? In all honesty there hasn't been a western mmo that I've liked other then DAoC and that's kind of older style. So when they say westernize it kind of makes me think that they will make it like WoW aka easy mode. Which works for most people but just doesn't keep my interest.

So I guess my real question is are in their attempt to westernize the game are they in turn alienating people like myself that love and prefer a more asian style MMO?

Next thing I'm looking forward to find more out about is the group dynamics though. MMOs just aren't that fun by yourself so I'm hoping that there will be lots of group content and it will be easy to make and find groups.

Originally posted by k11keeper

what exactly the devs mean by westernize?

Well ... I'd be happy if they'd scale down the size of some of the weapon types for one :)

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Nice write up, I am really looking forward to playing a game with this form of targetting .

As for grinding ?? I never understood this, isnt that the point of a game to kill stuff???

So many people say they hate grinding, but seriously , what do you want to log in the game and just poof gain levels ?

No I understand killing rats for 30 hours to gain one level , then killing a slightly bigger rat for 60 hours to gain your next level is boring.

But Anyways, Tera looks like finally an MMO thats taking a different path for combat , and I couldnt be happier, looks very exciting.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

This game sounds like it'll finally be a breath of fresh air in the mmorpg market. Something direly needed.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by k11keeper

what exactly the devs mean by westernize?

Well ... I'd be happy if they'd scale down the size of some of the weapon types for one :)

They mean the text, the story, so that it is suitable for the western audience, along with gameplay tweaks that make it more user friendly and/or incorporate popular western systems. Though all of the changes to the actual gameplay will be changed in all versions of the game, even if they were originally based on feedback from the west.

Basically it is an effort to make it more like WoW than Lineage :)

• dr1ftx3dr1ftx3 Member Posts: 13

I appreciate the responses guys.  I expected there to be a few people playing devil's advocate, but I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I agree that an endless grind is gameplay made purely to strech out subscriptions but trust me, once in the environment, and once you are gripped by the gameplay, I believe you will have a different opinion.

As for someone mentioning the Rift beta, I also played Rift last week for a few days and I can tell you that TERA makes that game look like a 2005 WoW knockoff.  Not to be a naysayer, but the graphics were honestly embarassing and the gameplay was rather stale and very repetitive.  Comparing between the two is absolutely night and day IMHO.

After work today I will log and grab some screenshots for you guys as I make my way through Arborea. :)

• omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

www.livestream.com/omniskillz

if u want to see the visual quality of the game. I video capped at 1600 x 900 res 16:9 aspect ratio 25fps. any higher and i think my gameplay would suffer :)

This discussion has been closed.