Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good is this game? thinking of trying it.

scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

How good is runescape.. thinking of trying it since my vid card fried, and isin't much else I can play. Any new player advice?

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
-Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

Comments

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

It's a good game, and in the following weeks, it will only get better due to the return of FREE TRADE.

Make an account now,  start now, and subscribe now.

This is a historical moment for Runescape.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

My advice is, start practicing your woodcutting skill, and fishing+cooking skills. These three are vital for an F2P player. Once free trade returns, there is a big chance you will get tons FREE ITEMS from players you don't know. It will be a BIG surprise.

• How are you so confident that it will return? And why do you think he will get big things from random people?

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Nunez has a point. This may be an appetizer for something else; something like Stellar Dawn.

With all the hype going on right now, and the hate shifting towards the so called marxists, there is no doubt that Jagex might instead pull of a series of major updates as a substitute for Free Trade and The Wilderness.

• BexyWexyBexyWexy Member Posts: 2

I'd honestly recommend to anyone who wants to try this, to skip f2p totally, and just coff up for 1 months membership. In reality one month is very little cash wise, and you'll avoid so much frustration and annoyance by just not dealing with f2p to begin with.

Everything is far far easier on members.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

Old School Runescape used to be really cool but they made it to casual nowdays I can remember when I had around a 100 Mil Exp and it took me a few years of  6-20 hours a day playing to get that far. Nowdays there are people with a few Bilion exp. My opinion is that Runescape is not what it used to be.

• ImNotAGaymerImNotAGaymer Member Posts: 15

Here is my fair - hopefully unbiased review - having returned to the game not to long ago after many years away.  I'd also like to make note that the evolution of this game has come in leaps and strides; it is an exceptional java-based game and the devs listen to their players.  Having played the classic and "rs2", the current quality is quite amazing - but generally, people that play java games - or at least this one - are not expecting such resolution.  If I judged the game purely on looks, I would've quit long ago.

Positive things:

Nicely sized world and many smaller servers that accomodate a comfortable number of players `2,000

Many great mini-games, interesting quests, and sense of humor

The quests

Lots of skills to try

Exploration ^probably falls under first point

Attempts at clan and community based organization.

Devs and player mods

Negatives:

Player community tends to feel somewhat immature - or younger than most MMOs.  Less intelligent conversation and constant use of the word noob.

Chat filter and kids, spamming - Not really a helpful community

Feels too easy - lack of challenge - after a while.  The challenge comes in the form of attempting to keep your attention on skill grinding. 

Skill grinding - it's ok early, but just gets ridiculous at higher levels.  Obviously they want you playing for years to come.

More sense of grinding for other tokens and such - not fun unless you play with friends - online or real.

Conclusion:

Try it, it's free. It's fun, easy, and diverse.  You'll meet many other players, get called newb and noob a lot, might die and lose all your hard-earned items, start-over, quit in frustration, and pick it up again.  It can't hurt - try it out.  I tried to keep it concise; everyone has a different experience with a skill grinding based game.

We like to play MMOs because real people aren't as interesting, real exercise and fighting hurts, and virtual females are attractive.

• its an amazing game and i will be hiting my 10 year playtime for runescape, i could tell you so much good but you would think i was just a advertisement, but 1 thing i can do for you tho is, help you out if you play you can msg me at honorbydeath

• kestecin2kestecin2 Member Posts: 1

how you can be sure if ppl will be giving away stuff ???...well, let's just say that when it pulls tru go to world 135 @ lumbridge cows, someone (not me) ( sarcastic) will be giving away money from 10k-100k and a jackpot of 1m in an epic random lottery.....but you didn't hear it from me.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

there's no download and it's F2P, go make an account and try it out.  and yes, it's a good game.

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

Best quests and most detailed world of any mmorpg. Every single npc has their own personality.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

try it for free, you don't need to download to play, and look how it is.

I would tell: this game is good if you have very old comp or dial-up, or you love slow grinds, or you love to be noob for ages.

If not, better play anything else.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• fjcastelfjcastel Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by Blissey

My advice is, start practicing your woodcutting skill, and fishing+cooking skills. These three are vital for an F2P player. Once free trade returns, there is a big chance you will get tons FREE ITEMS from players you don't know. It will be a BIG surprise.

but i live in new york city!!! if they see me cutting a tree down here they will shoot me in the head...

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

It's sort of a love or hate game.

I play it from time to time but I'm definitely more interested in other MMORPGs.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

wow..people still play this game? :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • Jordan99tJordan99t Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by timeraider

wow..people still play this game? :D

"Runescape has 10 million active accounts per month, over 156 million registered accounts"

"Runescape has the second biggest public forum on the internet, with around 2.8 million posts a week"

(as of July 17th 2009)

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

One of the biggest forums? Whoa, I never knew that. So sad that most of those posts are worthless to read. I always stay away from official Jagex forums because of all the noobs that post spam.