Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For godsakes let this game die, its been in development for about 10 years!

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

The dev team obviously are just nuts and want special attention in the virtual world, I do not understand why they do not go out and become real game developors or work on a nice single player game, this is to old and will never come out.

Comments

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

shhhhhhh. It's best to keep your thoughts to yourself before the righteous paladins come in to defend their holy grail.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Last time I checked Planeshift is a open source developed game. That means that there are dozens of people from around the world working on it. Anyone can contribute as much or as little as they want to the game. So it will be in development forever.

It's also a free community based project that will continue on until there is no longer a community interested in it. Since there is no DEV TEAM for the game (its open source and anyone and everyone can contribute to it) I dont see how they can be seeking any type of attention at all. I imagine most of the people that are contributeing to the project have real jobs and I wouldnt doubt if most of them have very high ranking postions in different high profile companys. I also imagine most of them work on the project in there free time at there own pace.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Hey, in development just means its a name on some dudes to-do list. It doesn't mean there is a whole team of people working on it day in and day out. Chances are its one dude, and his hunting buddy who have regular jobs working night shift at the 7-11. And well with all the more important things like drinking beer and watching NASCAR its tough to fit in all that work related type stuff. Besides, making a quality MMO takes time you know. If the 10 years is worrying you maybe you should send a donation to the development team and nudge them along.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Well in my opinion they are holding back they have been so they can do whatever they want the problem is other people play there game and it probably kept peoples hope up it would come out for a long time they did give the impression it would release regardless, do not fall into the category that it was a free project yada yada how do you guys even know he isnt using some of those donations for other things in fact he could very well be ripping people off.

• MDobbsMDobbs Member Posts: 11

The problem I see is that the game is constantly taking one step forward and then one step back.  That, or they half implement something in a way that hints at a good update and then they abandon it for months or years.  There aren't many players online anymore, and the devs couldn't care less.  Hard to muster up any kind of support for a game run that way.

• Marcus79Marcus79 Member Posts: 24

I guess you are missing the point making a mmorpg with volunteers working on their free time is not easy!

This project is one of the few to be really developed by a community, there is no commercial project behind, that's why I like it. Even if it will take another 10 years I don't see a problem.

If you think it's not good enough, then contact the developers and join the team!

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

When your development "staff" is nothing but volunteers, you get what you paid for.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ChuckiSpuxChuckiSpux Member Posts: 44

Not every FOSS developer is some fat American with no life. Knowing several of the developers, I can say that they're a range of people ranging from computer coding students, and professionals from the various industries that are associated with the parts of the game they work for.

My other main point for this thread is that there is a devoted community to this game. Why let it die if people are still enjoying the game? That's why the developers are making the game. Seems illogical to kill a project achieving its goals. I would also like to point out that there are (at least) two projects using the PlaneShift engine to make their own, entirely seperate, games. To hit the killswitch on PlaneShift would also choke these fledgling projects.

Specifically to the thread starter: Perhaps you should look a little into statistics before writing drivel, you just sound like an uninformed tool.