Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO gaming was better when only geeks/nerds people played it

You remember the time when every person you grouped up with would know their job in a group and didn't have to be spoonfed to every single mouseclick, asking around for 15 minutes instead of sitting down with google and reading it up in 5 ?

I realized this when I grouped up with people on servers with a high percentage of eastern europeans because there, mostly academics can afford a gaming pc and internet. Here in Germany every shithead can get DSL and it shows in grouping quality on German servers.

Comments

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

That's technically true. The ones who enjoyed this fantasy and type of gaming. If you want to use highschool social categories... Now the market is saturated with the people who made fun of those nerd/geek gamers back in the day. Also some of the gamers are now from other types of genre's such as the FPS community to a certain extent. Whether people want to admit it or not, thank Blizzard for bringing in the non mmo gamers into the genre. 

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by Abye

You remember the time when every person you grouped up with would know their job in a group and didn't have to be spoonfed to every single mouseclick, asking around for 15 minutes instead of sitting down with google and reading it up in 5 ?

I realized this when I grouped up with people on servers with a high percentage of eastern europeans because there, mostly academics can afford a gaming pc and internet. Here in Germany every shithead can get DSL and it shows in grouping quality on German servers.

Wow, eastern europeans are not soooo poor :D Internet is quite cheap in EA and nearly everyone have a pc, maybe not top gaming rig but still at least average PC. Tho 15$ sub is too big but for most EA people as 15$ is like 70 of something.

• RaikkonenRaikkonen Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Eronakis

That's technically true. The ones who enjoyed this fantasy and type of gaming. If you want to use highschool social categories... Now the market is saturated with the people who made fun of those nerd/geek gamers back in the day. Also some of the gamers are now from other types of genre's such as the FPS community to a certain extent. Whether people want to admit it or not, thank Blizzard for bringing in the non mmo gamers into the genre. 

I agree. It's not just the german servers but on most servers and most games, Its very unlikely you will be able to play a game which  you won't get insulted or abused in.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

FYI geeks are smart. Not something constantly seen in MMORPG players. Even in the D&D days.

Nerds look and dress strange, and generally don't have the knowledge of geeks. This is probably more common than geeks in MMORPG's.

Currently the most prevelent type of person playing MMORPG's, would probably be mere casual players, and 'gamers'. Mostly decently average people as far as society standards, who enjoy games.

• knyghttearerknyghttearer Member Posts: 124

i hate PUGs so much it drove me out of aion.  my work schedual caused me to fall behind my regular group to the point where i was nerfed into the ground by them and couldnt get crap for xp even on double xp weekends.  after a couple weeks of PUGs i decided i was so aggreivated i said F... it, the constant grind isn't a viable alternative

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

I concur.  Just have to find the new game the nerds/geeks are playing.  Might be a MMO, might not be.  

Why do you think WoW is so popular.  PC prices plummeted and everyone and their mother has a PC/Highspeed connection.  The greatest form of entertainment is games.  Low Requirements, a lot of people, mixture of all sorts of cultures, drama ect. ect. it's no longer a passion for people it's mainly just a standard.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

True, it was better.

But we need to move on and not spend time with endless wishful thinking. It is what it is.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've been playing a small niche MMO from an Indie dev (no names, I'm NDA there).  Only a couple hundred regulars but the quality is amazing.  The docs aren't much help (typical Indie) so ask a question and players respond with info, not stupid comments.

Nerd nightclub still exists.  It just went underground.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I'm not quite understanding the complaint here.  If you want to stay ahead of the curve with all the geeks, why haven't you already moved on to other forms of entertainment?

Everything good becomes accessible eventually, and at that point it's filled with the non-intellectuals. You can either:

1. Accept that fact and simply enjoy the refined version of what you once had (be it internet, a genre of music,  MMORPGs, or whatever.)

2. OR, you can keep moving forward and find the new awesome thing, where only the most hardcore geeks are currently found.

But whatever that new awesome thing is: if it's truly awesome, expect it to gradually become more accessible and mainstream.

That's just sorta how life works.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ElendilasXElendilasX Member Posts: 243

I dont really see your problem. Only reason for this topic is that one of those annoying nerd/geek.

These days MMOs are easy, if you know what are you doing you can solo almost every quest. If talking about raids/dungeons, nerds/geeks should hate them. Especially those who played DnD (board game) and other games of that type. raid are repetitive and boring where DnD was always something new and fun. Still if that is the case and you talk about dungeons/raids, just find appropriate guild. Or do you wanna be spoonfed and the first guild you find will be suitable for you? Put some effort in things. There is huge variety in guilds nowdays: Hardcore raiders, softcore raiders, pve, pvp, rp guilds and I guess bunch of other types which i dont remember.

Even some players with bit advice and help can become good ones. But because assholes like you start burning them, they just dont get chance/progress slower.

So from your post it seems it is you who want be spoonfed, get everything while you dont put effort.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG
    I've been playing a small niche MMO from an Indie dev (no names, I'm NDA there).  Only a couple hundred regulars but the quality is amazing.  The docs aren't much help (typical Indie) so ask a question and players respond with info, not stupid comments.

Nerd nightclub still exists.  It just went underground.

Grats and good to hear.

Now be smart like a geek and keep quiet. Last thing you all need is for your nightclub to get over run by those who would not really appreciate it to it's fullest.

And have fun... I don't know where the nightclub is and I am too old to convince the bouncer to let me in, so I can't spoil it for you. Enjoy ;)

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I really never understood this complaint. In every game there's morons. It was no different at any other time. Find a community of like-minded people and game with them. This is just a bunch of whining that the precious genre has become popular and now the nerds have to deal with normal humans from time to time.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

True. Everything that goes mainstream goes down in depth and complexity. No pun intended but Average people are simply not intelligent. That is why they are average, and the game to blame is WoW who introduced all these average people to our genre.

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Zookz1

I really never understood this complaint. In every game there's morons. It was no different at any other time. Find a community of like-minded people and game with them. This is just a bunch of whining that the precious genre has become popular and now the nerds have to deal with normal humans from time to time.

Rofl so true. Just use sites like this to build guilds/communities of like minded people and get over yourselves. I prefer that MMOs have grown popular. I like meeting all kinds of different people. Not just the same type of player. Its better now. So what if there a few more trolls, pfft big deal no greater than the idiots you deal with in real life. This time I can use an ignore list! I enjoy gaming with just gamers even though I take my lore/game more seriously than they do. 

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Seriously, why would put money into something like farmville. Maybe some day the people that play that garbage will realize THEY are the sheep being farmed.

Doubt it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't see the issue as being one of intelligence, education or social status.  To me the biggest difference is in personality and etiquette regarding computer based interaction.

There used to be an unspoken code of chivalry among geeks.  From what I hear from others that carried through to online gaming.  Certainly it was not adopted as the MMOs gained mainstream users.

I'm not sure why so many are insulted by the mention of this.  Is it snobbery to try to find a game that isn't full of rude people?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • toaster100toaster100 Member Posts: 45

Boy, I really miss ragging on the zitty faced losers on UO.  Whenever there was a confrontation I would just say go get laid and there would be silence...... Nothing like shooting down a 30yr old virgin.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

I'm agreeing with the OP 100% on this.

The easiest solution I can come up with is for decent, games to be made with very steep learning curves. That would soon drive away all but the most genuine gamers. Hell, like Starbucks people, would even pay thru the nose for something average just so they're not stuck in the gaming equivalent of MacDonald's sat next to some turd picking his nose and spending his benefit cheque on junk food.

I believe this is partly the key to EVE's success. EVE's a great game if you like strategic sci-fi type action but it's a f*cking PITA to get into. Farmville it ain't, so consequently the game is completely free from the dross players.

Now why can't someone come up with the fantasy equivalent of EVE for me...

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't see the issue as being one of intelligence, education or social status.  To me the biggest difference is in personality and etiquette regarding computer based interaction.

There used to be an unspoken code of chivalry among geeks.  From what I hear from others that carried through to online gaming.  Certainly it was not adopted as the MMOs gained mainstream users.

I'm not sure why so many are insulted by the mention of this.  Is it snobbery to try to find a game that isn't full of rude people?

^ Somewhat This.

That doesn't mean I think things should move backwards at all though. Everything is moving forward...and it should continue that way. Going back to the days of "Nerds Only", even if they were polite would mean losing the largest repository of information ever available in human history. Not to mention the largest selection of games and entertainment. I'll gladly suffer a few @sshats for that. Or egg them on...or quietly irritate them. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

What bothers me is that what used to be a challenging group experience is now a mega-easy-mode solo quest-fest.

Basically, all the casuals have changed our way of gaming by simplifying, dumbifying  and soloizing the MMOs. The new trend seems to be "raids should be soloable", and when that actually happens it's not gonna be any surprise for me.

Still, making the games easier and dumbier (they say "accessible"), is only bringin in new players that are even clumsier and dumber than before. These players cry "nerf" on the forums, they get it, so the game goes even dumber and easier, so newer players are even dumber and clumsier. And the cycle keeps repeating. Eventually we ll get a popup asking "do you want your epic gear now? (yes/no)" at lvl 1, and people asking on /ooc "should I press yes or no?".

One can only have hopes on some kind of alternative underground gaming scene, like it happened with rock music when it started getting dumb, comercial, silly and lacking depth.

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

Wrong; it's all about intelligence.

Some people are just too intellectually inferior to appreciate concepts that you and I probably take for granted. They're often so emotionally limited they can't see the value of things like 'being polite', because if you can't understand how someone else may think or feel, you certainly won't understand the reason for behaving respectfully towards them.

Only someone with a certain level of intellect appreciates the value of chivalry, manners and etiquette. Visit any 3rd World city of your choice and get trampled on left, right and centre by greedy, low IQ rat-people for confirmation of this axiom.

It takes years of careful parental nurturing to enable a person to fulfil their intellectual potential, usually from equally intelligent parents in a stable relationship. Most people aren't lucky enough to come from this sort of background and are either: inherently stupid, dragged down by pressure from less gifted peers, sidelined by their parents career aspirations or just plain neglected. These kids don't become smart even if they could be they just become dross or at best, lucky dross, like sport stars.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

Originally posted by gordiflu
    What bothers me is that what used to be a challenging group experience is now a mega-easy-mode solo quest-fest.
    Basically, all the casuals have changed our way of gaming by simplifying, dumbifying  and soloizing the MMOs. The new trend seems to be "raids should be soloable", and when that actually happens it's not gonna be any surprise for me.
    Still, making the games easier and dumbier (they say "accessible"), is only bringin in new players that are even clumsier and dumber than before. These players cry "nerf" on the forums, they get it, so the game goes even dumber and easier, so newer players are even dumber and clumsier. And the cycle keeps repeating. Eventually we ll get a popup asking "do you want your epic gear now? (yes/no)" at lvl 1, and people asking on /ooc "should I press yes or no?".
    One can only have hopes on some kind of alternative underground gaming scene, like it happened with rock music when it started getting dumb, comercial, silly and lacking depth.

The group content that exists now (at least in WoW) is not getting easier, it's getting harder. It's requiring more group skills, not less. I don't see people getting the epic (purple) gear without some grouping either. It may be pugs, but it's still grouping.

I think if we ever got to the point of true raid level content scaling to solo players, even the solo players would get bored with it quickly. I'm a solo player and I don't expect raid or even dungeon level content to be soloed. It's just...wrong. Unless you're a rogue and you can sneak past all the mobs...but not kill a boss...that's the wrong bit.

*edit* Thread Hijacker! Ack! And I helped you! >:-|

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Aryas

Some people are just too intellectually inferior to appreciate concepts that you and I probably take for granted. They're often so emotionally limited they can't see the value of things like 'being polite', because if you can't understand how someone else may think or feel, you certainly won't understand the reason for behaving respectfully towards them.

Only someone with a certain level of intellect appreciates the value of chivalry, manners and etiquette. Visit any 3rd World city of your choice and get trampled on left, right and centre by greedy, low IQ rat-people for confirmation of this axiom.

It takes years of careful parental nurturing to enable a person to fulfil their intellectual potential, usually from equally intelligent parents in a stable relationship. Most people aren't lucky enough to come from this sort of background and are either: inherently stupid, dragged down by pressure from less gifted peers, sidelined by their parents career aspirations or just plain neglected. These kids don't become smart even if they could be they just become dross or at best, lucky dross, like sport stars.

Aryas

We're talking about video games over the internet here. It really has nothing to do with intelligence. Some people are just natural assholes. You run into them everywhere in life. Donald Trump seems like a massive asshat, but somehow I doubt he's intellectually inferior to the nerds playing MMO's. I work with several people that I consider collosal douches, but they are extremely bright. The correlation between intelligence and parenting skills, social status etc. doesn't exist in the real world.

Originally posted by Zookz1

Originally posted by Aryas

Aryas

We're talking about video games over the internet here. It really has nothing to do with intelligence. Some people are just natural assholes. You run into them everywhere in life. Donald Trump seems like a massive asshat, but somehow I doubt he's intellectually inferior to the nerds playing MMO's. I work with several people that I consider collosal douches, but they are extremely bright. The correlation between intelligence and parenting skills, social status etc. doesn't exist in the real world.

*colossal

• Tara_WindwalkerTara_Windwalker Member UncommonPosts: 75

I feel very sorry for you.