Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we reveal the Favorite MMO Company.

Ask any MMO gamer, and they’re probably going to go on at length about his or her favorite game. That’s a no-brainer, but I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that most of ‘em will also be able to tell you about their favorite MMo company. Whether it’s great games or great customer service, the name behind the game can be just as important as its features for MMO gamers.

Read more of the 2010 MMORPG.com Awards: Favorite MMO Company.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

honesty, faith in their game, and the love of what they do  gratz Anet. Not to mention Guild Wars being a great game and even after all these years it is still great to log on and play it

(man fans are in full force this year)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Well deserved. The whole top 5 makes perfect sense.

Funny side note. $OE isn't even in the top10 and scores even less than Funcom. Says more than enough me thinks.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Have to question anyone who voted for Trion.  I mean come on, they don't even have a product out yet.  Who knows what kind of product or support they will have.  Pretty hard to vote for something that, at best you have experienced some beta play in.  I know a lot of people that came out of a beta praising company and product only to end up being highly critical of said company after they have had the chance to play the game for a while.  Aion come to mind anyone? 

As to the rest of the list, pretty much what I expected.  Let us hope that Arenanet does not disappoint with their new MMO.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Have to question anyone who voted for Trion.  I mean come on, they don't even have a product out yet.  Who knows what kind of product or support they will have.  Pretty hard to vote for something that, at best you have experienced some beta play in.  I know a lot of people that came out of a beta praising company and product only to end up being highly critical of said company after they have had the chance to play the game for a while.  Aion come to mind anyone? 

As to the rest of the list, pretty much what I expected.  Let us hope that Arenanet does not disappoint with their new MMO.

So far I have been in every beta event and been on the RIFT forums for quite some time.

TRION community managers like Abi are top and really praised by the community.

So is Customer Support during and outside beta (with pre-orders and it's usual issues). People nothing but praise for it.

Seriously. Most companies don't even bother with support during betas.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Ozmodan

So far I have been in every beta event and been on the RIFT forums for quite some time.

TRION community managers like Abi are top and really praised by the community.

So is Customer Support during and outside beta (with pre-orders and it's usual issues). People nothing but praise for it.

Seriously. Most companies don't even bother with support during betas.

Crushing on a female CM doesn't make the game great.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Don't care what the naysayers are going to say about this win, because ArenaNet deserve this win. 

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Man, you people slobbering all over GW2 is so embarrassing. Get some perspective people.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

The real question is, if GW2 wasn't about to launch and A Net still only had GW1 as it's game, would the vote be different?  I sure as hell think so.  GW1 is not THAT great of a game.  It's borderline MMORPG and at best more of a co-op rpg.  Just saying.

I think the reason Arena net won is due to the anticipation for GW2.  And that is the ONLY reason.  

Not hating on them, just saying, GW1 annoys me too much to be a fanboy of Arena Net, hehe.  I WILL be playing GW2 though as I am excited about it being vastly different from GW1 and giving me what I thought I was getting when I bought GW1 all those years ago.  An MMORPG!

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

The big surprise imo is Turbine at #2 beating Bioware and CCP!

Still think its stupid to have companies on there that have never released an MMO.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Xondar123

Man, you people slobbering all over GW2 is so embarrassing. Get some perspective people.

I've been a fan of GW since prophecies, and have looked forward to GW2 since they announced they weren't making any more GW campaigns.  I came to MMORPG.com while searching for info on GW2, and decided to stay and become a member.  So what do we need perspective on? Or is it that haters just got to hate?

to Elocke:  GW was sold as a CORPG, not a MMORPG. The Devs stated that outright.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I just don't see it,  lots of big names but my vote would have been for Icarus had they been on the list.  I'd rather vote for MMO companies that actually came out with some decent MMOs rather then just released information about upcoming MMOs.

Arenanet is alright,  GW1 was okay, though to their own admission it was a CORPG (a hub based MMO)  and BioWare hasn't released an MMO yet, so personally I think they shouldn't have been on the list.

Icarus has been very up front about their game and their in game and out of game technical support is way above average, even at this stage of *production.  They've always been very straightforward with the community, respectful and made changes based on community support.   As a company I feel they deserve some recognition. 

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I've been playing GW for 5 years, spent some time as a CM on a listed community fansite, they have always been pro community (anybody who remembers Gaile Grey will have fond memories of her visits in to the game), it's a well deserved reward just on that front. I agree that a lot of people voted without much experience of GW (if any) just on liking what they see and hear from Anet so far, doesn't detract from the fact they are making a positive impression.

I think Trion have been impressive with their community relations and support. I've been active since beta 1 and reading their forums shows a clear intent to look after the community, players experience of support has also been positive. Glad they got the votes too.

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

I wasn't expecting Anet to be #1 but I was expecting like top 3 or something. Anyway, congrats for them, this really shows them the support the mmo community is giving them!

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

I see the massive qqfest has all ready been started by the usual suspects.

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

As has been said, indeed the top five does make alot of sense.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

then when GW2 dies down after a month of post release, and the advertising $$'s stop flowing to sites like this, then lets see :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Originally posted by Papadam

The big surprise imo is Turbine at #2 beating Bioware and CCP!

Still think its stupid to have companies on there that have never released an MMO.

I voted for Turbine.  Never been let down by them and they (like CCP) seem to just power along by themselves focusing on improving their own game/s and actually doing it.

Also i would also like to see companies that haven't released an MMO stripped from this list as MMO company implies they have made at least one.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by blackthornn

then when GW2 dies down after a month of post release, and the advertising $$'s stop flowing to sites like this, then lets see :P

You mean like wow was supposed to ?? Have you seen ANY advertising for gw2 on this site as opposed to the MASSIVE amount we have seen for wow. Casue I have yet to see a single ad for GW2.

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

Glad to see that CCP made the top 5 atleast.

They deserve some sort of mention.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think ArenaNet was a good choice.   Guildwars I was never the game I've been wishing for (it is not a virtual world/sandbox), but it was incredibly DIFFERENT and CREATIVE.  A big change from traditional mmorpgs that I enjoyed a lot.  I think they are a smart crew and it has shown the past decade.  Thats why I am looking forward to GW2 and think ArenaNets a cool company.

I have liked them ever since they did the alpha preview weekend events for GW1.  Letting everybody play for free...  The game barely took any time to download.. And there were so few bugs despite it being an alpha preview!  That was just great.  I will remember it forever.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Turbine, CCP and Arena net are my 3 favorite MMO companies hands down. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Unreal024

I can understand why Bioware, Trion and ArenaNet are on this list. It's not a Best MMO Company award, but a Favorite MMO Company award. What I can't understand, is how anyone can state that any of these three companies are their favorite MMO company.

None of them have release an MMO (ArenaNet is arguable, but they themselves have never called GW an MMO). They are all three developing an MMO, but it has yet to be seen how these games will perform, they could be really great, just mediocre, or completely suck once released to the masses.

If they havn't released an MMO, how can they be your favorite MMO developer?

You seem to have forgotten that Rift is in beta and that GW2 had a playable demo.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Grats indeed to Anet as they did indeed earn the award the only thing I kind of question is the "information" flow, I don't notice much of a difference between how they put out info than other devs just how well recieved the information is recieved in that every announcment by ANet has seemed to toally blow it's fans away while lot's of other games are not having announced features as well recieved such as STO early in the year every announcement made by Cryptic created a firestorm until launch when it only got worse.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....