Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Sux

Comments

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Seems to me, they are making the art similar as SW: The Clone Wars has. You know that cartoon series...

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad. It just isn't to my taste, I like more of the style KOTOR has.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

This is an opinion thread so I'll counter with my own. I don't think the graphics "sux", but I don't think they are cutting edge either. Everything I have seen points to stylized Star Wars graphics designed to run on the majority of machines/video cards out there today. I am not dissapointed but neither am I left breathless by their beauty. As others have posted already, we have all seen the woes that games with "cutting edge" graphics face (Age of Conan anyone?), so I commend Bioware on this decision.

At this point, it is all about the story and gameplay for me.

• pigandforkspigandforks Member Posts: 17

Great graphics aren't always a plus with an mmo, the higher the system requirements the smaller your potential market.  However, the quality of the animations (from what we have seen so far) is very poor, everything seems kind of awkward.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Such a boo hoo over graphics. When the game releases its not the graphics which will make or break the game it is the gameply. AOC, Vanguard and FFXIV all have amazing graphics..look how they turned out.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

I really like the graphics.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by pigandforks

Great graphics aren't always a plus with an mmo, the higher the system requirements the smaller your potential market.  However, the quality of the animations (from what we have seen so far) is very poor, everything seems kind of awkward.

Really?  Have you looked at any of the more recent vids?  The trooper vid for example?  I am amazed by how far this game has come since the earliest vids they published.  I mean the movement animations (running, walking, gestures, etc.) are very fluid and realistic.

I have seen some people talking about being disappointed about the shoulders not moving when a toon runs, but from military experience I can tell you that is a good thing not a bad one.  After all, if your shoulders and arms are moving around while you run, then you will be waving your rifle all over the place and end up pointing it at people on your own side way too much.  Remember the old saying: "Friendly Fire . . . Isn't !".  So the shoulder issue for me actually feels right.  Another plus is not having my character hop with every running step as I have seen in another soon to be released game (DCUO).

Then there is the lightsaber animations.  Very nice there.  I mean, actually using a sword to block an incoming strike from another weapon?  Genius!  That is part of what they are for after all.  I can't believe it has taken this long for a developer to try that.

Now, do I think they can do better?  Absolutely.  Then again, I tend to believe that there is always room for improvement.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

The graphics are great.

The style isn't your taste.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by GMan3

Originally posted by slpr

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by musicmann

Yep, these graphics sure do suck. If you are going blind in both eyes.

imageimageimageimage

I guess you are the one that's having viewing issues :0

First pic look like barbie doll: huge breast and impossibly thin waist.

Second one diablo/wow like spiky shoulder pads.

Third one is a decent clone trooper. The name of the game is clone wars, right? But I digress this pic is nice.

The last one isn't that bad either ;)

Don't like it don't play it, simple.

I agree slpr, if he doesn't like it, he shouldn't play it.  No skin off my back.  If anything it would make things MORE enjoyable for the rest of us.

Oh and Deewe, I disagree with you as well.  The style of the character is a little on the thin side, but that is probably to keep the characters from looking grossly disproportional when you put full armor on them.  It is even understandably in many cases that these kinds of warriors would try to keep "thin and flexible, yet strong" instead of the "unmoveable brute hulk" type that can't move very fast.  The one thing that does annoy me is the monstrous weaponry I sometimes see characters in the game using which seems to be a throwback to Japanese Animation instead of relying on a more tradtional and realistic weapons look.

Remove the armor on the female character and the proportions will look very weird. They are even worse than the barbie doll ones!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm going with they look fine to me.  one note: the girl is turned a bit which may be throwing off the portions, but whatever, they look okay to me, especially compared with what the models look like in other screenshots.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

imageimageimageimage

Third one is a decent clone trooper. The name of the game is clone wars, right? But I digress this pic is nice.

I agree slpr, if he doesn't like it, he shouldn't play it.  No skin off my back.  If anything it would make things MORE enjoyable for the rest of us.

Oh and Deewe, I disagree with you as well.  The style of the character is a little on the thin side, but that is probably to keep the characters from looking grossly disproportional when you put full armor on them.  It is even understandably in many cases that these kinds of warriors would try to keep "thin and flexible, yet strong" instead of the "unmoveable brute hulk" type that can't move very fast.  The one thing that does annoy me is the monstrous weaponry I sometimes see characters in the game using which seems to be a throwback to Japanese Animation instead of relying on a more tradtional and realistic weapons look.

Remove the armor on the female character and the proportions will look very weird. They are even worse than the barbie doll ones!

Keep in mind that's a pc, not an npc. There's a slider for that I'm sure, since in different screenshots I've seen a variety of sizes. Somebody obviously wanted a topheavy sith. image

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by BarakIII

imageimageimageimage

Keep in mind that's a pc, not an npc. There's a slider for that I'm sure, since in different screenshots I've seen a variety of sizes. Somebody obviously wanted a topheavy sith. image

She is also slightly turning at the waist (as whilan mentioned) and bent over a little which only adds emphasis to the chest region.  Take away the armor and she is just . . . thin, wirey . . . the exact kind of body build that makes for a good swordsman who relies on finess instead of brute strength.

I have to say Deewe, you are obviously LOOKING for faults in this game.  Too bad you won't be able to enjoy it with the rest of us.  Do us a favor though.  If you do decide to try it out please post what server and guild you will be running with.  That way I for one can make sure to stay as far away from it as possible.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

*** snip*

No slider, only a body choice among 4 types.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

It's just my night for going against concensus isn't it? I LIKE the graphics. I've always like stylized graphics more than realistic ones.

EDIT: I even like WoW's graphics even if I don't like the game.

*** snip*

No slider, only a body choice among 4 types.

I don't have info on how many different types there are, so i'll just let BW quote speak for me

Quote: Because you will see your character's face so frequently during conversations in the game, it's absolutely critical that you can look awesome and unique. We have plenty of face/head/body customization options just in character creation -Bioware

I would like to also request where your getting the 4 body types.  I don't recall seeing anything specifically saying how many types there were. Ignore that request i found it, basically the types are thin muscular, regular and hefty.  Still okay in my opinion. Hair eyes, skin type, and all the other stuff can be customized.

Quote from darth hater: The character creation screen was very similar to Dragon Age: Origins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwYZ2AC-_0

at about 4:50 you get to see the character creation.  From what that quote stats you can see something similar.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by whilan

I would like to also request where your getting the 4 body types.  I don't recall seeing anything specifically saying how many types there were. Ignore that request i found it, basically the types are thin muscular, regular and hefty.  Still okay in my opinion. Hair eyes, skin type, and all the other stuff can be customized.

Quote from darth hater: The character creation screen was very similar to Dragon Age: Origins

at about 4:50 you get to see the character creation.  From what that quote stats you can see something similar.

Originally posted by whilan

Yep thanks for the link, i actually did find that earlier though as i corrected myself or rather said ignore my original request cause i found that link.  I marked it in red for you. 

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

If there is one lesson I think we all should know by now looking at AoC and FFXIV is that great graphics for mid to high end computers do not make a game good. Not only does it cut out most players who are casual and dont run very good system it also emphasizes something half of you stop worrying about once you realize there isnt any content. Bioware has plced alot of their resources on combat graphics and gameplay and likely this is a good move. You wont sit there pissing blood over graphics if the game is actually fun to play, right?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The Graphics and scale of this game are nothing short of fantastic. The Graphics Sux threads are at a point now where it just makes the OP look like a complete fool. The more content that is shown the better and better this gets.

99.9999% of us will enjoy this game for what it is I guess a few odd balls wont what a shame.

You just have to look at the recent slidesets of over 200 pictures or the Official site to understand why this is a ridiculous thread.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Originally posted by Isane

The Graphics and scale of this game are nothing short of fantastic. The Graphics Sux threads are at a point now where it just makes the OP look like a complete fool. The more content that is shown the better and better this gets.

99.9999% of us will enjoy this game for what it is I guess a few odd balls wont what a shame.

You just have to look at the recent slidesets of over 200 pictures or the Official site to understand why this is a ridiculous thread.

Sure the graphics aren't cutting edge, but who cares.  BW has stated that they want this game to be able to run on a wide range of rigs, afterall, if more people can play it, more are likely to buy it.  That worked for WoW, and I bet that many of those that hate the graphics of TOR actually play WoW... but that's just a guess.

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109

The game looks great, and will be playable across many systems at launch (which was their goal).

Examples:

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/zabrak-0

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/jedi-knight-sentinel

etc

You may have had a minor arguement when they released the first couple screenshots of the game, such as the force choke screenshot with the gigantic lightsaber, but the graphics have changed a ton since the TOR website went up. They are very detailed, and there are many more examples of it if you look for them.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Y'know, I've really tried to shrug this off, but I just can't help myself. The art absolutely drives me insane. Graphics is not my concern...but the art. Everyone's faces, bodies...it all just looks so damn goofy. Is there any reason why we couldn't have Mass Effect-like art, but ... you know, STAR WARS? Is there really a need for this childish direction?

I would even be so bold as to say they stepped down from KOTOR I & II. If I may elaborate...

RIGHT:

WRONG:

It looks stupid beyond hell.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by ironfungus

Y'know, I've really tried to shrug this off, but I just can't help myself. The art absolutely drives me insane. Graphics is not my concern...but the art. Everyone's faces, bodies...it all just looks so damn goofy. Is there any reason why we couldn't have Mass Effect-like art, but ... you know, STAR WARS? Is there really a need for this childish direction?

I would even be so bold as to say they stepped down from KOTOR I & II. If I may elaborate...

RIGHT:

WRONG:

It looks stupid beyond hell.

Your  Right = not in game screen shot.  You are entiled to your opion but that picture is a drawing and not computer animation.

The graphics don't bother me.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

One particular style won't have universal appeal. You don't like it, don't play it.

Deal.

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

imageimageimageimage

I doubt they're going for realism.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Eh, most MMOs I've seen with awesome graphics usually fail pretty hard when released. So, I don't mind if the graphics aren't as good as most other games out there.

As for the art design, it's all taste. It looks like they went with a "clone wars" kind of cartoonish look for it (Possibly a decision made by Lucas Arts) to connect it with other recent Star Wars media. Which I don't mind too much, because the graphics seem to work ok.

As for people saying the art design doesn't look like Star Wars - Sure, some things might not look "star wars" enough, but considering this is an MMORPG, I would expect the game to have a bit of diversity as far as art and style goes. I mean, they're suppose to be crafting a huge world here (Or worlds) and not everything will look exactly the same.

Groovy.