Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually ROLEPLAY anymore?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

The answer is nope, probability because it is just not that fun and it is restrictive.

It is much easier just to say and talk about whatever come to mind. I can certainly do the "hail, where art thou from?" talk but it gets old/boring fast. If i want to talk about starcraft 2 with my guildies when we wait for the next dungoen, i do see why we shouldn't do that.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

LOTRO Weekly (LOTRO)

Dramatis Personae (WOW)

Hearthstone Tavern (WOW)

EVE RP Corps (EVE Online)

Great Lakes Roleplayers (UO)

RP Haven (WOW)       It's Thursday, so it's Gin and Juice night!

and then there's always... Furcadia.

Lots' of roleplaying in MMOs. You just have to look around and get involved in the RP community.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Flute

Originally posted by Onigod

i know many people that roleplay in Darkfall atleast in the europe server about NA server i dont know

There is a wide range, from Dwarf Only clans, Alfar Only clans, and Orc only clans, through to the anti-roleplayers who seek to war declare all roleplayers and kill them, in character of course as the vile and evil villian with no sense of humour and no mercy.  ;p

I have had ship crews who play pirate music over ventrillo every time we took a ship to sea, too, and didn't break character much  :)

I come across roleplayer clans often in Darkfall. Actually living with one atm. : )

Best game to roleplay in by far imo . ... that is, unless you want to know the end of the story before you begin (roleplaying in themepark games makes no sense to me??!?)

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by Lidane

There's something obvious that you're overlooking here -- voice chat.

Back in the early days of MMOs, it was all about typed text for conversation, which allowed for more active roleplay, especially in games with a hell of a lot of downtime, like EQ. These days, most gamers are hooked into Ventrillo or some other voice chat server so they can communicate with people faster, especially during raids or big boss fights.

It's one thing to RP when you're typing your words, but when you're in a chat server with your entire guild, staying in character and trying to RP tends to get shot down because most people aren't that willing to play along when their voice can be heard. On top of that, many players would rather just shoot the breeze about music and movies in their downtime, or give directions during a battle than try to act like their characters.

I've heard this excuse before and I just don't get it. Back in 1999 we were using Roger Wilco for grouping and raiding in EQ and it never stopped us from talking in character in game. When vent launched in the early 2000s, we still had no problem getting people to talk in character. Text chat still works just fine no matter what voice program you are using.

It's not an excuse. It's a preference. It's also a reflection of how things have changed in the last few years.

The players and guilds using Roger Wilco back then were the more hardcore players and RP-ers, so you had people who were more inclined to speak in character and essentially LARP while they played. These days, voice chat is everywhere and used by nearly everyone, from the hardcore to the most casual players, and the chances are far greater now of finding people whose idea of voice chat was solidified in console and regular PC gaming. They'd rather talk about what interests them, like music, or movies, or whatever's on their mind than sit around trying to remember when to use thee and thou, or trying to voice act as their characters.

There are still players who actively roleplay. LOTRO has a pretty good community for it, both due to inclination and to the rich lore that Tolkien provided. It's there. You just have to know where to look, and you have to basically accept that it's a niche now, since a majority of players, especially if they're on voice chat, aren't going to be all that inclined to RP. That's just the way things are.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Suilebhain

*snip*

So, is it time to drop the RPG from MMORPG and just call it MMO.Com? Do people even value random roleplay ex periences or is it all about gear/level acquisition (AKA Achievement), raiding, and PvP?

Yes.  Roleplaying has never been mainstream, and when MMOs entered mainstream gaming...well, you already described what happened.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Best game to roleplay in by far imo . ... that is, unless you want to know the end of the story before you begin (roleplaying in themepark games makes no sense to me??!?)

Depends on the "theme park".

It's entirely possible to create your own character story within the framework of someone else's world. Using LOTRO as an example again, Frodo's quest to destroy the One Ring was only one story among the entire mythology of Middle Earth that Tolkien created. There's a whole lot of room to move in terms of finding a place within that world. And just because we know how Frodo's story ends, that doesn't mean we know the way that the life of an individual Hobbit, Elf, or Rohirrim might end.

City of Heroes/Villains lends itself to a whole lot of roleplay, since you can write and create entire story arcs for your characters with the Mission Architect system.

Roleplay isn't the exclusive domain of the sandbox game. It CAN be done in "theme park" games too. It just takes actual knowledge of the lore you're dealing with and being able to carve out your own niche within it.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Unless you search out a MUD which strictly enforces RPing, you're never going to find a MMO where more than 50% of the playerbase RPs.  Totally unrealistic expectation.

You will, however, find RP aplenty if you look for it.  Personally I'm sort of sick of it on the WOW server where a couple of my chars are currently (went there to play with a friend who barely plays anymore.)  Constant spam from RP guilds, and tons of RPing spontaneously happening just about anywhere players gather.

It's never going to replace full-on tabletop RPGs where the game world can bend to be whatever the playing group wants it to be, but if you're honest with yourself you realize that videogame RPGs have never been (and might never be) about that.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

I recall the good old days of DAOC where, on the roleplay servers, nearly everyone roleplayed to some degree, even if it was just to say "Hail". Almost never did I encounter people who would approach my elf with their lurikeen and say "whatup dude?" Later, SWG provided a similar, even expanded immersive experience, as player cities became hubs of roleplay activity  where you could wander into a cantina and find people ready, willing and able to engage in improvisational roleplay nearly any time of the day or night.

Now, though, finding anything resembling a roleplay community that approaches that of Albion/Percival or the entire Nimue server is like finding hen's teeth. Not even on roleplay servers in alleged MMORPGS do people roleplay. I know this all started with WOW and the absurd and infamous Barrens Chat, but it has speard and now nowhere provides a welcoming place for people who prefer a greater level of immersion.

My most recent escapade came about in Runes of Magic. F2P games attract the most casual of players, but on the unofficial RP server there were only a few guilds and no casual roleplay that I could find. The folks in the guilds seemed like nice enough people, but the majority of their interaction was spent in an OOC channel labeled RP, which really was just a sign to those seeking others who enjoyed RP rather than providing any true outlet. There were little to no in-game opportunities to roleplay, as there was back in DAOC and SWG.

So, is it time to drop the RPG from MMORPG and just call it MMO.Com? Do people even value random roleplay ex periences or is it all about gear/level acquisition (AKA Achievement), raiding, and PvP?

You obviously have been looking in the wrong place. 

Laurelin server lotro..

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

The last two games that I played and RP'ed were DAoC and Shadowbane.  Voice chat doesn't hold up as a viable excuse.  My Shadowbane guild all used Teamspeak to coordinate PvP.  We didn't RP directions in PvP voice chat..  We also didn't hold hour long social conversations in teamspeak.  Teamspeak was a tool for a very specific purpose.   All in-game chat was expected to be RP'ed.  Espcially when conversing with other cities/guilds.  I think it had to do with the attitude toward the games at that time.  People were much more serious.  You didn't have that many casual players.  You didn't have cross-server grouping either.  You always saw the same people and you wanted to make good impressions.

As for recent/new games - I was going to try and RP with a guild in Xyson.  We actually had a lot of RP guilds on the official forums.  However, the continous delays caused me to loose interest. 

Someone mentioned RP and old English in one of the comments.  That doesn't have to be the case.  The Xyson guilds that were RPing weren't speaking in old English.  It is an apocolyptic world.   I think that is another misconception.  People speaking in wierd accents and running around with cardboard swords.  For me, roleplay is just a way to get into the lore and enjoy my character more.  Still haven't round a recent game though where I have enjoyed it.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

if someone picks up a bone and yells murr grrl,seems to be master roleplaying in eyes of this generations MMORPGamers.

games that dont let you to use your own imagination which actually forces you not to use your imagination,forces you not to be creative seems to be huge hits nowadays but in eyes of RPGs or just players?

Generation P

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

roleplay is nice in small group. when group becomes too big, it gets too fractured. strong personalities get more focus, reserved persons get less. it can be done as storytelling, with pre-aranged scenarion, but for improvisation, it would be one great hell of an effort.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

I don't so much role play with people anymore, but I do have a habit of reading up on the lore of the game, and creating a back-story for whomever I create. It helps me feel more connected and motivated.

• WhitebladeWhiteblade Member Posts: 10

I typically do light or medium roleplaying. Make the background, name the character, make them look sensible (I'm really picky about this, chainmail bikinis don't do it), interact how I think the character would through emotes on people I meet on my journey but aside from that I don't actively seek RPing groups. I just don't have the patience to stay in character past a certain point and having to use certain channels to talk with someone casually isn't my thing most of the time. Almost always play on roleplaying servers though because I respect the people and find the community to be better.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

There are alot of roleplayers out there still in games.. just have to find them. There was actualy a decent amount of rp in Aion belive it or not. Israphel is the nonoffical rp server i think.. they have their own channel there, Its /joinchannel RPlfg i belive.

anyway as for newergames with rp id  say your best bet would be swotor, or guild wars 2.

thoe i cant realys peak 2 much on swotors side, i can say guild wars 2 is lore driven.. and heavily at that. At character creation they actualy ask you questions to better start the personality of your character.. where did you come from? where you rich or poor, are you charming/ferocious/timid so on so forth. also you make choises threw your personal story that can actualy efect things. and they are permanent.

The end of the races trailor, otherwise known as 'uncertain allies" also ends with the phrase, "whats your story"

either way in some games its become increseingly harder for roleplayers.. there are those that activly bash roleplayers, or go to kill them in open world.. or spout out random things in the middle of others rp and try and cause problems.. it realy does seemt hat since the fps crowd starting hitting mmos that actual roleplayers are like some sort of disese. So realy you kinda need to look now, and as posted before.. it realy is hard to find people activly rping in say, due to those i mentiond above

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Cernan

The last two games that I played and RP'ed were DAoC and Shadowbane.

Ditto, unless you count the EVE's in-character summit forum.

Originally posted by Cernan

Someone mentioned RP and old English in one of the comments.  That doesn't have to be the case.  The Xyson guilds that were RPing weren't speaking in old English.  It is an apocolyptic world.   I think that is another misconception.  People speaking in wierd accents and running around with cardboard swords.  For me, roleplay is just a way to get into the lore and enjoy my character more.  Still haven't round a recent game though where I have enjoyed it.

I've never much understood the Old English thing. Even overlooking the fact that it's really a variant of Early Modern English*, it's strange to assume that it somehow fits into a fantasy setting. I could get behind it in Ultima Online, since it was very stylistically grounded in medieval England and Early Modern English was already used by NPCs; but in most fantasy settings, Early Modern English makes no more sense than French or Klingon. So you may as well use your mother tongue, you know?

* Old English: Wes h?l, ic h?tte Saerain. ?adig, þec t? m?tenne. Is h?r ?nig þe Englisce spricþ?

* Middle English: Al-hail, my namæ is Saerain. I am cladde to mette ye. Is ther ani on her that speken English?

* Early Modern English: Hail, my name is Saerain. I am glad to meet thee. Is there anyone here who speaketh English?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

If you truly want a quality role-playing experiece, I strongly urge you to look into role-playing-enforced text MUDs such as Lusternia, Achaea, Threshold, Shadows of Isildur, Avalon, or Armageddon MUD.

They may be all-text, but the format isn't as "outdated" as you might think, and such games support a believable role-playing environment (not to mention attracting a fair number of mature, intelligent role-players) to a much higher degree than graphical MMORPGs.

It's a shame MMORPG.com doesn't recognize text MUDs as being MMORPGs, because that's exactly what they are, and more people would learn about them if they were listed here.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Back before the internet, everyone was incredibly bored. So bored they actually got together, rolled funny looking dice and played pen-and-paper role-playing games. Computer games modeled these and the convention stuck. No need to drop the RPG because, you know, people usually understand language and don't get in a knot when they find that languge full of fossil words.

• mmobobymmoboby Member Posts: 8

i  love roleplaying and be sad thats so many people get sick of it ....

the times have change but i hope that some MMORPG Games have players that loves roleplaying

as much as i do !

http://www.mmorpg-bob.com search free MMORPG???we separate the wheat from the chaff !!!

• WolfthalWolfthal Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

I tend to disagree. I am 13 and the lack of roleplay bothers me the most in MMO(RPG)s. Generalizing is not a cool thing, man. But, again, I am different - I like reading and writing, good music and playing the drums- unlike most kids these days. Roleplaying is expressing your feeling just like a writer would, but in a interactive and responsive world - which is what made it and makes it attractive. The problem is that people ruin it, like they ruin a lot of good things. Off topic, just like some are forgetting good music - Rock and Blues and Jazz - The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix and a ton more. They are comercializing a good part of the games industry, and they are doing the same with other things such as music - which is bad. As for those who ruin Roleplay and think it's '"uncool" - well, to me, art is expressing your feelings, so Roleplay is an art. If you think art is uncool, then that is a whole different level and you are not worth my time. 

P.S: Sorry for any minor spelling mistakes, English is not my native language. 

The force be with you. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Wolfthal
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

I tend to disagree. I am 13 and the lack of roleplay bothers me the most in MMO(RPG)s. Generalizing is not a cool thing, man. But, again, I am different - I like reading and writing, good music and playing the drums- unlike most kids these days. Roleplaying is expressing your feeling just like a writer would, but in a interactive and responsive world - which is what made it and makes it attractive. The problem is that people ruin it, like they ruin a lot of good things. Off topic, just like some are forgetting good music - Rock and Blues and Jazz - The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix and a ton more. They are comercializing a good part of the games industry, and they are doing the same with other things such as music - which is bad. As for those who ruin Roleplay and think it's '"uncool" - well, to me, art is expressing your feelings, so Roleplay is an art. If you think art is uncool, then that is a whole different level and you are not worth my time. 

P.S: Sorry for any minor spelling mistakes, English is not my native language. 

The force be with you. 

image *Reads the post again*

BULLFU**INGSH**! image

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I see plenty of role-players in Open PvP games, it is just that they don't feel need to tell a complete stranger their elaborate story. 

Role-playing can be as simple as deciding that your character wants to be one that protects the weaker people, a form of righteous knight and then staying in character. The righteous knights do not need to tell anyone their backstory, they don't need to talk in Shakespearean English, they don't need to do any prayers. 

Analogously, I see several players roleplaying merchants in different forms. They can roleplay them to be more or less scrupulous.

At its core "role-playing" is about playing a role and that's it. I would therefore say that role-playing is far from dead but it may not look the same as it used to. 

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

I recall the good old days of DAOC where, on the roleplay servers, nearly everyone roleplayed to some degree, even if it was just to say "Hail". Almost never did I encounter people who would approach my elf with their lurikeen and say "whatup dude?" Later, SWG provided a similar, even expanded immersive experience, as player cities became hubs of roleplay activity  where you could wander into a cantina and find people ready, willing and able to engage in improvisational roleplay nearly any time of the day or night.

Now, though, finding anything resembling a roleplay community that approaches that of Albion/Percival or the entire Nimue server is like finding hen's teeth. Not even on roleplay servers in alleged MMORPGS do people roleplay. I know this all started with WOW and the absurd and infamous Barrens Chat, but it has speard and now nowhere provides a welcoming place for people who prefer a greater level of immersion.

My most recent escapade came about in Runes of Magic. F2P games attract the most casual of players, but on the unofficial RP server there were only a few guilds and no casual roleplay that I could find. The folks in the guilds seemed like nice enough people, but the majority of their interaction was spent in an OOC channel labeled RP, which really was just a sign to those seeking others who enjoyed RP rather than providing any true outlet. There were little to no in-game opportunities to roleplay, as there was back in DAOC and SWG.

I liked to RP in Age of Conan until the devs decided to add useless NPCs exactly in the spot I used to meet with a friend. Taverns were not an option, it was always full of people that didn't know they were playing in Hyboria.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Yep, but I certainly don't RP with the newer breed of MMO's. They're simply not conducive to an environment that promotes creativity, which is what role playing is all about, so I still rely on UO for the times that I want to be in character. There are plenty of great options out there for MUD'ers, IRC RP, various emulators: just about everywhere outside the last ten years of video gaming.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

RP is alive and well.

I decided to join the RP server for my 7-day trial of Tera, and the first thing I saw was an Elin trying to cyber with me. (True Story)

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't anymore BUT I actually prefer to be on RP server. 

I usually 'stay in character' a bit anyway. So I don't speak in bubble-chat about anything out-of-game. (guild chat, whisper, global channel ,etc are whole diffrent and I speak about everything and normally in there)

I also like when mmorpg RP servers have character names enforced to stay in-line with game. 

When no obama77rock or Iownyourmum or lazersinmyeyes are allowed. (yeah there are still few mainstream games with servers with rules like that)

I don't 'hard roleplay' though.

It GET harder nowadays even beign like that. Not roleplaying but staying in character and immersing yourself into a game. It just get harder now.

Why? 

Mmorpg's get more and more like a game and show and remind you they are a game. 

They incorporated lobby matchmaking gameplay as main thing,   you 'get' things by aquiring various tokens, medallions or 'points' which all totally ruin 'believebiality'.  Unlimited teleports. 

More and more 'big' on 'signs' showing you where to go, what to do, etc  + signs over NPC heads, sings on minimap, quest gps, poups everywhere, etc

+

Biggest RL reminder and immersion breaker ever that is bigger than all above combined = cash shop.