Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Biggest Disappointment

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we take a look at the Biggest Disappointment of 2010.

This is the only category in our Reader’s Choice awards that celebrates the more negative aspects of the year. MMO players, apparently on a different level from other gamers everywhere, seem to be the most prone to disappointment about the launches of new games in their genre. Heck, it seems as though disappointment is the new expectation when players talk about games that they are looking forward to.

Read more of the MMORPG.com Awards: Biggest Disappointment of 2010.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Hmmm......I voted for S.T.O becouse I feel I have never been let down by a game so much ever. Even so I was expecting 2010 in general to win and totaly understand why it did. Let's face it, from an mmo standpoint it sucked big warty mellons.

Edit* 666'th post.....how apt:)

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

LOL!!

Honestly other than Perpetuum living up to the small amount of hype it had the entire lot of games released in 2010 were epic failures imo.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

So deserved. Just such an abyssmal, horrible year for gaming. Actually for pretty much everything in general, but we'll leave things like politics and economy out of an MMO forum. Or at least, we should try. Still, this is reflective on what last year was like for a lot of us, for many reasons. Hopefully this year will turn out better.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

Good luck with that 2011 thing. Game companies are infested with failures who've climbed the ladder of success by being in the right place at the right time. All the first timers who knew nothing but Single Player gaming came along and accepted that experience in their MMORPG gaming, until they started to realize what more could be, what they are missing. Just as the rest of us old timers did some time before. But now that they have realized, things have changed. But the management in place hasn't. These guys fail, and for the most part are simply moved on to other projects because the blame can be placed almost anywhere else.

Once upon a time....

• mmorpgdoodermmorpgdooder Member Posts: 29

I expected Star trek as the biggest disapointment, personally i only think APB was nominated cuz it was glitchy as hell...

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Well the % says it all , i voted STO cause had such high expectation , and it showing signs of getting beter , hope they do make it beter .

But in general wasn´t suprised that 2010 was a dispointing year .

• KookasKookas Member Posts: 39

• 2010 is getting way too much of the credit

• Remove 2010 and maybe we can crown the most disappointing with a majority 8)

* I read most of what Jon Wood writes
    * He needs more bullet points though

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

While 2010 was disappointing to be sure, from an MMO standpoint, I would have to agree that STO could have taken the award had the blanket choice not been an option. It just wasn't all that, and for those who had already had a taste of Champions Online, it really felt a lot less polished, at least from my perspective. I felt like they were forcing STO into an engine that wasn't really designed with that game in mind, and that definitely ruined things for me. I am still holding out for DCO or SW:TOR to do something amazing with the genre, because quite honestly, City of Heroes has gotten pretty old for me, and I was never a WoW fan.

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Obviously there are a whole lot of people that haven't played the train wreck that is FFXIV for it to only get 25%.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

You know thinking about it, I believe if Star Trek was still in-development today and they were still deploying news and updates about what is in the game, it would get higher marks than SWTOR from certain people because it has space combat that is not on-rails and also ground combat. But too bad it wasn't kept in development longer (damn you atari suits! damn you!), it would have made for a good funfact showdown.

This is not a game.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

How exactly is providing options such as "None of the above" and "2010 in general" informative, helpfull or in any way or form constructive?

To me it sounds like a whiny kid answering that everything sucks... big time... when asked what's wrong. It doesn't do anything to clarify why he's crying or anything to solve the problem he's apperantly having.

Nobody, neither the devs nor the players, is going to get usefull information from the awards like this. None of the new games that did have some positive sides are going to get encouraged from winning an award and none of the new games that were absolutely horrible is going to learn a lesson from losing the award. Because it's simply a draw.

The FFXIV and STO devs can proudly say that while their launch wasn't a shining example in the industry atleast they didn't get the biggest dissapointment award.

The Vindictus and Perpetuum devs can hang their heads because even though they pulled off decent launches with games that brought something to the genre they still didn't get any recognition for it.

Congratulations MMORPG.com, you've managed to finish the apperantly most horrible year in MMO gaming by holding an equally horrible 2010 awards.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• VoidspawnVoidspawn Member UncommonPosts: 22

So true, 2010 was a very bad year for MMOs..I spent the whole year searching for a good game, trying out F2P games, watching gameplay videos and reading GW2 and Rift forums...I really hope 2011 makes up for that :P

Claire Gearhead - Level 80 Norn Engineer - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

I think this is a pretty solid call.  However, I would have to say that because the new releases of 2010 sucked I was able to give AoC another try and find it much improved!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

None of the games released in 2010 had much hype nor were expected to command a large following far as I am concerned, so there was not a huge rush to buy and then be disappointed with the game.  Even STO was never projected to be a big hit, since the basic design was not favored by the trekkies.

Basically there were no big titles released, which ends up the year being the biggest disappointment.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Wow 2010 will go down as the year that game companies gave us nothing worth having.

STO actually came out better than FFXIV wow, that tells me that square must have produced a steaming pile of you know what.

Honestly the reason why 2010 was so bad was the lack of anything worth having.  Shame on all the game industry as an entire hole.  I hope this send out a huge wake up call to them.  That call being hey you game companies,  were tired of the same old pile of steaming stuff, your bs is not going to cut it any more.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Star Trek Online was the biggest disappointment for me.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by spookydom

Hmmm......I voted for S.T.O becouse I feel I have never been let down by a game so much ever. Even so I was expecting 2010 in general to win and totaly understand why it did. Let's face it, from an mmo standpoint it sucked big warty mellons.

A lot of people still play STO especially after they started releasing seasonal events. I personally been in STO since release. Even though I am not very active in it I still enjoy to log in once in a while and do some event in my dreadnought ship. STO is not the worst game.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

2010 was a slow year overall. I think that a lot of developers were sort of in hybernation, gamers didn't spend much money overall. I think its a bit delayed feedback of financial crysis. But 2010 was definitely not the best year for MMO industry. 2011 promises to be much better... after all SWTOR is going to be released... HOPEFULLY. I don't care about anything else. I'll play RIFT casually until SWTOR is out.

• notshinotshi Member Posts: 3

what a horrible rabble-rousing blog post to incite hatred.

• tommhtommh Member Posts: 13

Hey, you do realize that MMOs != the "hole" game industry.   RDR (which I worked on), ME2, Civ 5, Victoria II,  are all excellent games that came out this year (just to name a few). 

Now if your talking about the MMO field a a whole I would tend to agree, although people have ridiculously high expectations from new games. In fact its an open question if any new MMO can succeed when it has to a) have as much content as WoW, b) have new and exciting game play all while c) being polished and bug free at launch.  

Any company entering the MMO field now had better be extremely well funded, have a huge, amazingly competent staff, and be completly delusional since they are probably just pissing 50-100 mil down the drain.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I really hate these generalized winners.

These GENERALIZED WINNERS don't make a game company have to answer for their product.  A lot of these companies are waiting for websites like MMORPG.com to put out their title as a winner so they canthrow it up on on their website.

These companies may not put the award for biggest disappointment up ontheir website... but at least they'll know it won the award.

The makers of Final Fantasy should see their game up as the Biggest Disappointment.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

These GENERALIZED WINNERS don't make a game company have to answer for their product.  A lot of these companies are waiting for websites like MMORPG.com to put out their title as a winner so they canthrow it up on on their website.

These companies may not put the award for biggest disappointment up ontheir website... but at least they'll know it won the award.

The makers of Final Fantasy should see their game up as the Biggest Disappointment.

Name ONE company that instantly "throws" their title unto their website.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by reanor

Originally posted by spookydom

A lot of people still play STO especially after they started releasing seasonal events. I personally been in STO since release. Even though I am not very active in it I still enjoy to log in once in a while and do some event in my dreadnought ship. STO is not the worst game.

Hmmm.....I was not aware that I  had stated anywhere that it was worst game.  What I said is that it was a big disapointment......which it was.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Name ONE company that instantly "throws" their title unto their website.

I ve worked in the gaming industry, and trust me, I know first hand. They are actually waiting for the title, and they often have the banners ready to be put on their website even before they win it, just in case.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

YAY! For future surveys I think many/most should have an 'All of the Above' option. Where appropriate of course.