Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Innovative

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we feature the winner of the Most Innovative MMO. Check it out!

When it came to looking at the game that made the most strides forward in 2010 in terms of pushing the envelope and doing something new, there was actually quite a bit to talk about. Surprisingly, each of these nominees included their changes via an expansion.

Read on to find out who takes home the MMORPG.com 2010 Awards: Most Innovative MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Grats to Eve online.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    The community came through on this one. I knew you guys were true mmorpg gamers.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Incarna and Incursion (FINALLY!) will make this year another close one for Eve. WIll we see D514 this year? Only one can hope.

This is not a game.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yes, Eve is interesting. The problem I've always had is that its a space game with no real avatar. Cool, but not for me.

Hopefully they can manage the WoD as well. I just hope the character creation and customization are better. AND that we finally have a game with proper housing, instead of housing thats horribly neglected or so bad it might as well not exist at all (I'm looking at you LOTRO).

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

EVE ?

Perhaps its innovation is being good ? Otherwise , I dont get it ?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

"While CCP, the company behind EVE Online, continues to push the boundaries of MMO technology with its single server game, their hardware isn’t what impressed MMO fans this year, rather it was the addition in the Tyrannis expansion of planetary interaction, expanding the scope of the game by allowing space-based players to interact with the planets that up until now have simply been window dressing to the space only game."

Ok, I don't play Eve, so maybe I'm missing something here. But according to the article, it is innovative because it finally, after seven years, is allowing players to interact with the environment?!?

I agree that nothing this year stood out in the way of innovation, but something tells me that "most innovative" was a misnomer this year.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Good for Eve. It's an awsome game.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Lobotomist

EVE ?

Perhaps its innovation is being good ? Otherwise , I dont get it ?

the incursion thing

BestSigEver :P

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Its innovative because it continue to constanly remake the game, adding totally new mechanics, not just a new zone to run quests in. Wormholes were 1 recent innovation, and Plantetary were another, something totally different from other parts of the game. Not to mention reworking soveriegnty. These are substantial changes that you dont see happening in other games.

I would actually add Conan as innovative in that they added a whole bunch of features totally different form the rest of the game. Didnt make the game any more fun, but it was innovative.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

No surprise there. I voted for EVE myself. The only mmo i played for 6 years. I cancelled my account in December..wow that was a long run. I just don't have the amount of time that EVE demands. I have gone very casual over the years.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

One of the things I find fascinating about Eve is that it has so many different directions it can expand in.  Most games are only about your character (and opponents) getting bigger and stronger. Eve has this, but it is also expanding in the direction of smaller (down from the ship towards the character). 

The planetary interaction is a great example of a self-contained economy that doesn't require a lot of knowledge of the rest of the game, but (since the final output goes into high end production) automatically scales the rewards to match the level of inflation in the rest of the economy.

• cvgordycvgordy Member Posts: 28

I'm sorry.. but No

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Most innovative? Yeah, maybe I guess it has some innovative things in the way PvP and IG economics is done but in some other ways like UI and combat it is stale and outdated.

I would say Vindictus is alot more innovative with its combat system.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Eve? Yeah I can see that considering all the good additions they made over the year. I think I voted for Vindictus but Eve did add more and all of it was unique.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

hands down EVE is the most innovative MMO on the market. The really sad thing is it has been that way for 7 years.....sigh.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Eve definitely deserved this. I'm not a player of the game myself (I fall into the "I have to have a physical avatar" crowd, plus I don't like the space genre much), but I keep up with the game because I like the concept so much.

Pocket Legends I've never even heard of, and I haven't read anything about Global Agenda that really strikes me as innovative unless you count not being a fantasy title.  The only thing innovative about Vindictus is the combat system. WoW is horribly stale when it comes to gameplay innovation, but they're quite innovative when it comes to accessibility and ease of use. We had the LFG tool earlier this year, and they just finished reworking every class in the game so that they're more streamlined and easy to setup (at the cost of customization).

For me, I would have had WoW in second, and Vindictus in third. Eve definitely deserved the top spot though.

<3

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

nothing comes close to eve's innovativeness and complexity. kudos

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I think you guys are confusing innovation and simply being good game.

EVE maybe did innovate several years back when it was released. But 2010 ?

Ok so it had expansion. Is that innovation ?

Did something fundamentally changed in mechanic of EVE ?

Nothing.

Its a same old and good game.

So maybe best MMO of 2010.

But innovative ?!?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

7 Year ago maybe. The game is solid and fun to play but sadly it would be nice to have chosen a more recent game.

A sad state of affairs with respect to the genre which is pretty must dead as Was.

The current MMO have no need for large world or persistance as its all end game in 3 weeks; lets hope someone does come alomg with some innnovation soon.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

My 2 cents....  I've played a few mmo's as well as am currently playing eve.

EVE has better dev blogs than any other mmo i've played,  They say what they wish they could do and then tell us what they CAN do...and tell us what the are doing. 

They tell us their long term plans, tell us their current projects, even how many devs are on a particular team...for instance,  "lag" team working only on that...

and if you READ the lag team dev blog, you see they are making constant progress on every little detail.

these guys communicate better than any other mmo i've played.

A recent update fixed how ships would rubber band as they come out of warp on approach to ships and stations....can you guys imagine if swg had fixed that?   well EVE fixed it.  period. the end.  They fixed a REAL annoying bug.    no fan fare, no big deal..just fixed it and moved on.  

what other mmo has a board of elected players that directly bring player issues to the dev teams?   remember how smedley said they focus grouped the nge?  ....no.   These guys get flown to iceland to SIT AT THE SAME DAMN TABLE with devs.....regular players.  again...THAT is an innovation you can't cough at.

can there be more done?   yup.   is the game hard to learn?    absolutely.  do alot of people rage quit over can flippers/pirates?   yes they do.

This ain't your daddy's mmo.

when you die here, it can cost you days of lost time, skills, in game money....some corporations (guilds) are completely destroyed beyond recovery over wars....now THAT is a game where players can interact with their environment!

Avatars...yes I get hung up on that....but it's on the books....it's coming.    will it be perfect the first day?  nope.   but the amount of effort, time, and feedback from ccp and the players will go on to create a GREAT addition to the game as time moves forward.....and seven years from NOW....eve will still be getting awards like this because they continue to evolve.

wow what a fanboi rant i just made!!!   booya

• G2GTechG2GTech Member Posts: 25

Yes, CCP wins it again for Innovation.  Tyrranis wasn't really the main innovative point in the game, as PI is a horrible click-fest (thought that should change within the next few weeks).

What CCP did is really listened to the players for the Incursion patch and fixed a lot of problems with the gameplay.  They removed learning skills, enhanced T2 ammunition and rockets, reworked assault ships, and improved the character creator drastically.

One of the things few people will notice but will make a huge difference (which they have done with previous patches too) is improved the core project of the game.  They're taking the old spaghetti code and bit by bit, expansion by expansion, streamlining and modernizing the codebase to make the game work more smoothly with modern hardware.

In all, kudos to CCP for a well-deserved award for innovation in 2010.  I'm eager to see what's coming in 2011, with the expected release of Dust 514 (completely shattering the MMO stereotype yet again) and Incarna (Walking in Stations).

"The civilized man is rude, as he knows there are laws that protect him from recompense; The savage is not, for his actions can meet a bloody end."
    - Robert E. Howard

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

yet another award for spreadsheets online.  Actually miasisan eve is NOT complex or Innovative.  Pre CU SWG crafting was MUCH more innovatie and complex, and YES I played BOTH. Eve for about 6 months SWG for about 2 years

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

congrats for excel spreadsheet online.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

This is another category that really needed a "none of the above"...nothing any of those choices did was actually innovative.

• divmaxdivmax Member Posts: 106

Actually to those of you who think EVE isn't being innovative, yes, their expansions actually add game mechanics. They don't just add more "content", they actually add more "game". Something few other MMO's can actually say with their expansions.

It is definitely NOT the "same old game" from when it launched. Some may even see this as flaw, but its probably what's kept it going from strength to strength.