Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon scheduled to launch March 1st, 2011

rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Official page linky...

Some additional tidbits from the lead dev:

Quote Linky..

I've adjusted the launch date to March 1st. I can't push it any farther than that.

The launch of Earthrise or other games have nothing to do with our push to launch (I wasn't even aware of Earthrise's launch date).

There are too many players waiting for the final wipe and we can't continue endlessly at our current pace. One of the primary honest reasons is my health. I can't continue working 20 hour days seven days a week. We need to wrap up the current features, get players active and expand the team to make Xsyon the game that we all want it to be. 

This gives us 2 solid months to focus on features. This may not seem like much given the delays over this past year, but to put things in context, since last March we've spent less than 2 months on feature work. The bulk of our work this year has been major revisions to the server and launcher, optimization of the client and fixing many problems that were left behind by our original programmers that are no longer with the team.

So, this will be the final push and I appreciate all of your support!

Quote Linky...

Part of our push from now until launch will be to get Xsyon populated, of course!

The Quest system and allowing solo tribes (which is already possible) should help starting players a lot, as well as tribal starting locations.

We will create a starting island zone as well that will be in before the end of the month.

I understand the concerns with combat and I will personally look into the values. The main problem is something is wrong with the computations or targetting making all hits appear to do the same damage and making dodging, parrying, armor types, weapon values and many other factors that are actually in the code and database not function right. When this is fixed, combat won't be perfect, but will be more than who can click the fastest.

Quote Linky..

Open world PVP, Good / Evil system, Combat FPS style, and crafting system with varied things. All these are lacking in the game and looks like they wont be put in for who knows how long.

On the contrary, these are exactly what we are currently focusing on from now until launch and through the early Prelude. As stated in the announcements we will be focused on crafting, combat, construction and tribe mechanics rather than implementing additional minor features.

The combat system is not shelved and is part of what we'll be revising before launch. The current system was designed entirely based on player feedback. I understand the frustration with it because something in the targetting or calculations is not working right. We will fix this before launch.

Implementing a Mount and Blade type of system is something we'll look into after launch. It's something that players have asked for so it's planned as evolution when we can expand the team in order to do so, but it was not something I originally planned for.

I will add the other questions to our FAQ section and answer them as soon as I can take a small break.

So, the game is set to launch, can't be delayed further and there's a push to both populate the world (pre-orders) and complete a basic feature list in time for launch.  The lead dev is bustin' his  hump, as I'm sure the rest of the team is, trying to get the game ready for launch. Also, his initial announcement indicates there was a major programming staff change at some point.

I'm definitely interested in Xsyon, am curious to see how much of what was supposed to be in last year's launch makes it to this year's launch and if the game will even launch successfully or end up being another Dark and Light.  I definitely wish Notorious Games success and hope they can pull it off.  It would be fantastic if they did!  In the meantime, I'm in "wait-and-see" mode.

~Ripper

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

There have been a number of concerns regarding the announced release from some of the current testers:

With the release coming up already and most of the features not in the game, it seems the devs started off good, now with earthrise coming , you guys feel you wanna push out a product that is not finished...

I feel I wasted 40 bucks like some of us did with MO.... I mean indie's are making a bad name for any future indie but pushing out unfinshed products...

If you look at the long list hadly any features will be there at release there for leaving us with not much to do besides build our forts , which I found to be boring, the combat is boring and the AI to.. I feel this is not what I signed up for when I fork over 40 bucks last april, we where suppose to have animal breeding , taming as well. I mean even cooking won't be in.. are you kidding me.

I now know you pushed this out with the release of earthrise...Its similiar games and it release's feburary the 4th so i,m just saying how disappointed I i,m by looking at a list of features either broke or will not be in game come release.

I i,m happy to see the release fianlly but I know making a game is not easy at all, I have seen a few things I like so this is why i,m happy .

Devs you may wanna rethink your time line. Do no release this because of another game... People will still come play Xyson if its done complete not broke or half done. I will not pay for a game that i,m beta testing either and it sounds like thats what you wnat people to do by adding alot of features later.

This is my 2 cents and my opinion this is not to Flame the game .

/discuss

I am kind of glad it will start but there are also many things pissing me off :

- no tooltips

- no item information

- only like 3 animals ?

- pretty bad chat system with annoying attached emote bar

- skill window cant be stretched

- active population very low

- no game elements , feels like a virtual world more than a game

- no random events, no natural disasters

- no tag system for containers and buildings

- very poor char creation system (no stat description)

- lack of centralized information

- no exploration or pushed boundaries of the 'mist'

- cant rest still

- sound effects and music neglected

- no atmospheric immersion

- no old world ruins (char selection has a half broken city)

- no ranged combat

- no cooking

- still many exploits for leveling skills

It feels like when they wipe for prelude it will be a race to grind. Then after people realize there is not enough content they will just leave. Hard to find my place in this game since there is no content for explorers/hunters and a lot of the features promised have been neglected (friendly combat training, teaching/learning). There is no indication on how to spec properly or re-spec.

This game got huge potential still and has a pretty good base don't get me wrong but it needs a couple of months and i feel us people who preordered will just be guinea pigs while we spend our 2 free months in a beta.

Btw wheres my unique weapon

I feel like we got some good systems but there is a huge lack of focus in the UI and the content as well as world events and such.

I got mixed feeling for this news. I understand they need funding asap but the content is just not there.

Im kind of pissed... the game is empty there is nothing to do except for tradeskiller type players.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/2737-Not-happy-but-happy-with-release?p=36555&viewfull=1#post36555 (you won't be able to see the linked material unless you've preordered)

I share most of the concerns that people have at this moment.  There game still feels very incomplete, and they don't have much time to add or fix many of the things that were supposed to be in at launch.

I'm still hoping that Notorious can get this game completed and working well.  We need more titles of this type.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Notorious has a lot to prove with Xsyon and a lot to lose, accordingly.  Hopefully they can deliver.

~Ripper

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

After checking the feature list on Xsyon page I can say that about 70-80% of the promised features are currently in game and working. The main problem is polish IMO, not the lack of features, let's hope they can add more polish during the next 2 months. The base of the game is solid, not buggy, if it can get enough players to maintain a healthy playerbase it will be a unique true sandbox game.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Sinella

After checking the feature list on Xsyon page I can say that about 70-80% of the promised features are currently in game and working. The main problem is polish IMO, not the lack of features, let's hope they can add more polish during the next 2 months. The base of the game is solid, not buggy, if it can get enough players to maintain a healthy playerbase it will be a unique true sandbox game.

That would be great.  Has the features page changed substantially since it was originally put up when pre-orders launched last year, though?  If so, that's a problem.  Also, last year it was stated that the features were 80% complete.  A year has gone by and you're saying only 70 - 80% of the features currently listed  are in game and working?  That's a problem.  There's a lot to complete, apparently, for the game to be launch ready by March 1st.  Two months (1.5 months, since the final char wipe is mid-Feb) is a very short amount of time to shoehorn up to 30% of the listed features, much less do adequate testing, debugging, etc..

~Ripper

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by rhinok

That would be great.  Has the features page changed substantially since it was originally put up when pre-orders launched last year, though?  If so, that's a problem.  Also, last year it was stated that the features were 80% complete.  A year has gone by and you're saying only 70 - 80% of the features currently listed  are in game and working?  That's a problem.  There's a lot to complete, apparently, for the game to be launch ready by March 1st.  Two months (1.5 months, since the final char wipe is mid-Feb) is a very short amount of time to shoehorn up to 30% of the listed features, much less do adequate testing, debugging, etc..

~Ripper

There wasn't any significant change in the feature list. So the 80% of the features are in, they plan to add like 10% more till launch. Its not so bad to launch with the 90% of the promised features....and none of the missing ones is gamebreaking. Its like that tribes can't set up taxes, or the comfort doesn't affect the player yet. Really, the game isn't lacking features, its lacking polish IMO.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Originally posted by rhinok

~Ripper

There wasn't any significant change in the feature list. So the 80% of the features are in, they plan to add like 10% more till launch. Its not so bad to launch with the 90% of the promised features....and none of the missing ones is gamebreaking. Its like that tribes can't set up taxes, or the comfort doesn't affect the player yet. Really, the game isn't lacking features, its lacking polish IMO.

Having not played the game for an intimate amount of time I would have to say if the game only needs more polish then it should be a great game for a "re-release" post the actual release. 90% of features working and included is a big leap. Wish this game the best honestly.

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

The features list has never changed as that is a list of features that he wants at or shortly after release.