Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Best New Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards!

There were a number of high profile launches in 2010, each met with its own degrees of success or failure over the year. In this category, we asked our readers to decide which of the nominated games launched in 2010 that they felt made the best addition to the MMORPG universe.

Read more to find out which game takes home the Best New MMO of 2010.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Wooot! The people have spoken. Thanks again for putting the none of the above option in mmorpg.com.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Wow all respect to mmorpg , you guys shocked me , it wont earn you brownie points with the developers of this year ...

But atleast it wins you brownie points with mmorpg community .

I expected the next in line to win ..

Lets say i am flabber gasted ....

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

I wish 2010 was a better year for mmo gaming.  QQ

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I'm not surprised at all. It was such a terrible year for the genre, and with the option to pick "none of the above", this one was a no brainer.

We need some fresh high quality titles, and we need them soon.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I <3 none of the above!!

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Most disappointing MMO-year of the decade?

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I voted for perpetuum as its launch was smooth and its spreadsheets with robots which is awesome. However, deep down i knew that none of the above deserved the award.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

32.1% think 2010 was a very bad year for mmo's, i'm one of them.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

That is hilarious.

Im glad Vindictus was the top out of the rest of those. lol

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I am not sure if this was a good decision, but it was apparently a strong one.

It is always easier to be against something than pro something. I´d give the award to Vindictus or Perpetuum. One is less of an MMO with good physics, the other one an indie.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

perpetuum and vindictus: these games represent 2 extreme and opposite wings of the genre. thats a bit astonishing.

however the majority thinks, there was no game worth this title, which is a pretty clear message.

unfortunately i just saw, that another popular website elected STO the best game in nearly all categories. now this message is disastrous.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• PerkoPerko Member Posts: 62

A fair result.  None of these that I've tried can hold a candle to what's already on the market.  Vindictus was ok, but too grindy & all about the boss fights.  STO has apparently improved, but it was junk at launch.  The relatively strong showing of the poorly known Perpetuum here leads me to want to try it.

• RokazuluRokazulu Member Posts: 2

2011 has slightly more promise.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Wel, Vindictus won really then didn't it? Might be the best out of a bad bunch.... but it won, unless people wanted other games on the list by voting none of the above.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Wow, I'm shocked. With the wonderful reviews mmorpg has been giving all the mmo's lately, I'd have thought they would say that all of them have been good. 2010 was one of the worst mmo years, and I'm one of the "none of the above" people. 

Are the devs listening? Somehow I sure haven't been feeling all that listened to.

• elsurionelsurion Member Posts: 24

for me 2010 was a blah year.... really the only shining star for me, was WOW cataclysm.

• SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

Well deserved, None of the Above is very promising.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I hope them developers read it. While I like Global Agenda, it should never be listed as a MMO.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Woot, finally a real pole with a real answer.  None of the Above for the win!!!!!

Now hopefully the devs of many games and the game comanies will hang their head in shame for giving us the worse year of mmo's that I have ever seen.

Oh and bty  None of the above beet out STO, with a real pole that was not rigged enough said on that subject.

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

I must admit (grudgingly) that STO actually improved by the end of the year.  If they keep up the good work it might even be almost playable in a few years.

• hoipolloihoipolloi Member Posts: 4

Poll

That is all.

• notshinotshi Member Posts: 3

this poll does not make any sense. how many of those voted have played all the games listed to even have an opinion? and if none of the above was chosen, shouldn't the voter be required to enter a field of what game should win instead?

also, what?

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by notshi

this poll does not make any sense. how many of those voted have played all the games listed to even have an opinion? and if none of the above was chosen, shouldn't the voter be required to enter a field of what game should win instead?

also, what?

You are assuming that the voter would have been impressed with any MMO in 2010, at least enough to vote on it. In reality, 2010 was a lousy year for MMOs. here's to hoping 2011 can turn things around.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan