Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Anticipated MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The month of December has come and gone, taking 2010 with it. Some say good riddance, some look back fondly, but no matter how you slice it, that puppy’s behind us and we’re all moving forward to 2011. For the team here at MMORPG.com, we’ve just got one tiny loose thread to tie up before we officially start the new year: We have to announce the winners of the 2010 MMORPG.com Reader’s Choice Awards! Today we present the results of the Most Anticipated MMO.

In order to qualify for this category, a game must be currently announced and carry a reasonable expectation that we will see a launch some time in 2011. The MMORPG.com staff deliberated at length and returned the following nominees: DC Universe Online, Guild Wars 2, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Tera.

Find out which game won the 2010 Most Anticipated MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

well I really wasn't expecting that;)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Cheers for GW2.   It looks like taking a different stance on the gameplay is paying off over hype.  

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Gz to Arenanet. They managed to overshadow a $150 mill budget Star Wars MMO developed by BioWare. Not exactly a simple thing to do.

• GeikamirGeikamir Member Posts: 2

Love how the Mesmer concept art was snuck in there, lol.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This is what i was expecting overhere at MMORPG.com, but then we are the harcore MMO crowd.  On general gaming sites i still think SW:TOR would have won this award..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

ArenaNet deserve it!

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This is what i was expecting overhere at MMORPG.com, but then we are the harcore MMO crowd.  On general gaming sites i still think SW:TOR would have won this award..

True, but that's because people on general gaming sites know a lot less about GW2  (And SWToR for that matter) then we do.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yeah, I thought SWTOR would give GW2 a run for it's money, seems that a lot of people are paying attention to all the posts on these games.

Things could be different at this time next year, we won't know until we try all these upcoming games.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Grats to Anet

But like the article states, was that really a big surprise?  Still none the less grats.

Now they just have to deliver on this hype.  We will see though.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• flyforshineflyforshine Member Posts: 18

Knew it haha

Originally posted by flyforshine

Knew it haha

Think pretty much everyone did :P

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

No surprise there... glad GW2 won. Now I wonder if ArenaNet have won the best MMO company award?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I think the result above shows how much out of touch this site is. What a shame but it confirms a lot.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91
    28.4% of people are in for massive disappointment.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by testmyluck

28.4% of people are in for massive disappointment.

Why do you say that?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

I think I will be playing 1 + 2 + 5 but probably in reverse order

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

Probably thinks people don't research the game, or is mad that swtor did as well as it did on this site. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

*laughs* By a hell of a margin, too. Saw that coming.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I truly think it's because of all the games listed, GW2 has shown me the most.  Letting me see 2 hours of pure gameplay, sound and HD and no annoying salesmen talking during it is what made me go WOW, I need to play that.  I bet if the other games gave such a great "preview" to the game it might be at least a closer race.  

Still, I'll be playing all of them, except DCuniverse, now that I've played it and was bored to tears, I can mark that off my list.  But the one I really want to play just to experience it is GW2 however, I see SWTOR as having a longer lasting appeal to me.  Being able to go through 8 separate storylines and classes and being able to get even more separation with the advanced classes, it just, for the time being, seems to have better replay value.  

Still, with GW2's no sub this could be the best MMORPG duo I've had the joy of playing in YEARS.  Gah, I can't wait.  Screw 2010, worst year ever.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

What a surprise :)))))) i expected SW ToR to take this award with all the inovations it brings to genre.................. :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

"Help us Arena Net, you are our only hope."

I guess the modified quote would be more suited for SW:TOR but I dont think many are expecting any truly innovative, in regards to MMORPGs, to come from Biowares first MMORPG.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I forgot to vote, and would have done for SWTOR if I got around to it.

Either people were like me, or were not aware of the vote or maybe just thought it may get delayed into 2012 or maybe it is because it is expected to be another free MMO whereas SWTOR will have some form of payment model.

I have zero interest in GW2, I'm not even going to try it.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

I think everyone who voted for GW2 will be in for a BIG disappointment.

The game is soulless, shallow and ultimately a very unsatisfying experience, much like every previous NCSoft game.

Originally posted by Yamota

"Help us Arena Net, you are our only hope."

I guess the modified quote would be more suited for SW:TOR but I dont think many are expecting any truly innovative, in regards to MMORPGs, to come from Biowares first MMORPG.

Hey no stealing the line i'm using in my sig.

The innovating things i can think of for ToR would be the fully voiced over dialog

The idea you can change how quests play out

The duck and cover system

The morphing system for your character.

The companion system.

Seems pretty innovating to me.  but /shrug to each their own, poll is no surprise to anyone though, not even the people off site.  They called this miles ahead. happy to see swtor is 2 though.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

*shocked*

GW2 more anticipated than SWTOR..? I'd never expect that, and certainly not with that big a difference!

Funny to see DCUO with 3.3% at the bottom while it goes live  next week :D