Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Hell yes. PVP is fun sometimes, PVP sucks sometimes. Ditto on PVE or any other game element. As long as the game is fun though I couldn't care if I'm fighting with, for, or through other players, npcs, or paid staff of the game.

Shadus

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Toquio3

Im not a competitive person and I think pvp / competition brings out the worst in people. Also there is my signature =P

Agreed.

• KingKong007KingKong007 Member Posts: 149

Let's look at the 2 most succesful on line PC games of the last 5 years:

WOW and Call of Duty.

Let's look at what people play for very long periods of time:

Competition based games like SC1/WC3 outrun games like Dragon Age by many many years of playing.

People seek out a challenge and this has to be cooperative and competitive ... "comparing against other humans".

The tric is to combine PVE and PvP within that competitive nature. PvP may never destroy or even hamper too much the individual fun and joy to play a game.

Games who simply lack this kind of competitve/comparing  nature are mostly dull and one sided and hence have not very long staying power.

The immersion of a "world" is quickly fading in favor of competitive driven games - be that PVE or PVP.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Look at the polls, the surveys, look what subscriber mmos are successfull - there is not a single one that has only pvp.

PvP is a nice to have on top feature that does not help if the PvE-foundation of the game is weak or void.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

No, if that PvE MMO means kill X amount of rats and X amount of boars for the 80% of game content. That's boring. But if there is enough group content and I can avoid those silly quests I would play a 100% PvE MMO.

• SantoriniSantorini Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Toquio3

Im not a competitive person and I think pvp / competition brings out the worst in people. Also there is my signature =P

Totally agree. In my experience, PvP is overrun by bullies and rude people, who have no concept of strategy or tactics and rely consistently on brute force, who constantly crow about how their build is better than yours or how their equipment is better than yours, and who punctuate their sentences with profanity or leetspeak and can't hold a coherent conversation. If you do well, you become a target for adolescent revenge. If you do badly, you become a target for unceasing insults and belittling. Either way is not fun and not worth it.

A PvE-only MMO? If it's a good game, sign me up. I won't miss the PvP features because I'm not using them anyway. And I won't miss the sorts of players who are only attracted to PvP.

• KilathaarKilathaar Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm still hoping for a PvE-only game. The reason I've enjoyed MMO-games is the cooperative teamplay, exploration of the world and building your character. I can tolerate that PvP exists in a game, as long as it's up to me to choose whether I want to participate or not and as long as there would be no items/loot /rewards that would even remotely look to be of interest in PvE.

My dream game would probably have these features:

• Sci-fi/technology heavy. This doesn't mean magic can't exist. Just needs some kind of technical explanation :-)

• Big robots similar to Transformers. Players would be able to merge together their robots and thus become more powerful while merged.

• Possibility to write software (part of crafting) that could control different parts of the robots like movement or targetting.

• Skills, abilities and any other type of stats would be distributed by the player.

• Tweaking (like in AO).

• Player driven economy.

• Housing/customisation

• Preferably not based on any book or movie. Gives the developers so much more freedom.

• Complex/advanced crafting system.

• Grand events that would allow players to leave some kind of permanent impact on the world. Excavate lost artefacts, discover new techniques that would lead to new features. This would not just be a simple thing as a new expansion. People would have to discover clues and figure out thing in order to understand how it can be used. Science and research!

I could probably go on but these are the main things I hope find in a game someday. Complexity and limited instructions. Players would have to figure out things on their own, not spoonfed all the time.

• TexasDeyTexasDey Member Posts: 5

My real life is satisfying. I'm neither bullied or am a bully. My experience with hard core pvpers is that they are as a whole unhappy people with an ax to grind. They need to feel powerful and in control in at least one aspect of their life. They are the most vocal gamers, even though they are a minority. Every pvp server I've seen has been a failure. One reason is, because they aren't interested in fighting each other. They'd rather grief other players. Another reason is there just aren't enough of them. I love being a "care bear", so no pvp suits me fine.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I played Everquest for years so I guess the answer is "yes".

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Im playing one right now. Vangaurd. And loving It!

I actually would never play a game where there was forced pvp everywhere.

EVe online has a huge safe area where i can take a breadth between wormhole exploration :D

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

theres pretty much allways some kind of  PvP going on in MMOs ,it doesnt have to be about killing each other.

for example killing quest monsters before other player,starting to mine just second before other player,doing business with auction house,filling team spot before someone else etc.its all about  Player vs Player.

and in many of these cases loser part loses much more than 5 second spawn time after getting killed.

Let's internet

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ForumPvP

theres pretty much allways some kind of  PvP going on in MMOs ,it doesnt have to be about killing each other.

for example killing quest monsters before other player,starting to mine just second before other player,doing business with auction house,filling team spot before someone else etc.its all about  Player vs Player.

and in many of these cases loser part loses much more than 5 second spawn time after getting killed.

More or less, yes. But just as you can make a MMO with only PvP you can make one with only PvE.

I in fact rather have a game that does either things to perfection than one that does both half @ssed as far too many games does.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

very surprising results from the poll. almost an 80% in favour.....i would have never guessed so many people love pve so much.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Kaynos1972

And please give the reasons for your answers.  Personally PVP has never been my cup of tea.   It's not that i never tried, i just dont feel any sense of accomplishement fighting others peoples for what really  ?  Bragging rights ?   There is already TONS of pvp game out there, mostly shooters, why does every MMO that comes out MUST have some sort of PVP in it ?   Do you think we could have a succesful MMO without the PVP aspect ?

My answer is a definite NO.

I understand my reasons for it may not be shared by the majority today. Yet this preference comes from the way that I got introduced to MMO's and by implication what an MMO means to me.

To me an MMO is more than a single player game, where the player interacts with the environment on whatever adventure and setting that specific game offers.

For me an MMO is a virtual world, that has an environment yes, but where the Fun of the experience is not comming directly from my interaction versus that environment but rather from my interaction with other players in that environment we all share.

As such, an MMO that is 100% PVE, might just as well be a Single Player RPG, I see no difference between something like that and a single player game that people could even share some adventures online in Cooperative mode versus that environment, like the experience we got with Diablo and Diablo II, none were MMO's even if they had a multiplayer mode, was fun for a while but not something I would play consistently and continuously, there is simply no long term appeal to it.

The appeal of an MMO comes from the possibilities of interaction with other players, the first time I logged in to an MMO many years ago and following several years of playing single player games I said to my self "How wonderfully Cool is this!", it was not necessarilly about the PvP, but the fact that I could interact and share the game world with other players and that our individual choices in that world could affect one another.

PvP is a consequence of Interaction. Whenever there is interaction there is always potential for conflict, depending on the setting and specific situations as formed given a certain Sociaopolitical landscape in that virtual world there is always bound to be some source of conflict that expresses itself in the form of PvP.

In the more moder and degraded MMOs we see, the pvP has been shoeboxed in to specific areas and linked to specific actions, Battlegrounds etc. Its presence is still desirable because it offers a break from the routine and predicatable PVE which in time becomes redundant and boring.

So given the choice between an MMO that is 100% PVE without Battleground and an MMO that is 100% PVE with battlegrounds I would choose the later. Because in the overal view as a player I have the choice for some variety of actions and interaction, and since the Industry is not making Virtual World MMO's anymore (which if they did I would be playing these as a priority for sure).

We (players) are Human beings, we are not machines, a 100% PVE MMO is but a tred mill, it feels like a cage full of Hamster Wheels and every player is a Hamster trying to see who runs faster on their wheel or slower and creating gossip about it (what we call "Communities" today). While the Game hands out chocolate and cheese rewards for the Hamsters depending on their speed.

So no, sorry, I am not a machine nor a hamster, I have better things to do than run on a wheel all day for a chance to get a piece of cheese from the game, it has no appeal to me there is no stimulation of the senses, aesthetic pleasure or feeling of being alive playing in such a game...this things can only come within an aestehically pleasing environment where I as a player can mae my own choices and mistakes, feel the rewards or consequences all while I am in constant interaction with all the other players around me which share that environment and whose choices can affect one another, it simply makes you feel alive.

Isn't that what entertainment is supposed to do anyways?

Cheers!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Sure.  I like PvP and can be very competitive but also like other styles of play.

I find that games that focus on one aspect of game play I enoy more.  When they try to make it all things to all people I generally don't like it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

If by no PvP you mean no players killing each other than yes I would play that. After all I am making one. Would be kinda weird if I didn't want to play it.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Played FFXI for 2 years and loved it..

so yes.. I would say yes.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

PvP can be fun. PvE can be fun. Don't need them to mix.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I pray they make a game like this, then we can tell all the anti-pvp whiner brigade to go play it.

Wonder what they will blame the inevitable class balancing on though
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by ForumPvP

More or less, yes. But just as you can make a MMO with only PvP you can make one with only PvE.

I in fact rather have a game that does either things to perfection than one that does both half @ssed as far too many games does.

agree,i would like to see that kind of game also but

first we need "perfect" flagging system,but theres no such thing out there yet.

i really would like to see that some developer starts to really develop one.

Let's internet

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Considering I've never enjoyed PVP in MMORPG's -- GW2 might change that.... but aside from that, yeah I'd have no problem at all with it.

But I wouldn't play it BECAUSE it had no PVP.  It's all up to the game, how fun/awesome it is in PVE.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

If they made an open world, skill based MMO similar to say, Darkfall (maybe a bit less grindy) or Shadowbane, than nothing short of the internet exploding could keep me away from it.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

If it's a pve only MMO the community will be more mature and we definitely don't want that, now do we?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by fivoroth

If it's a pve only MMO the community will be more mature and we definitely don't want that, now do we?

And you base this observation on what? Cause some of the most idiotic, moronic, immature jerks I've come across are in PvE only servers...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

I would love to play a pure PvE MMO as long as its really well done.

I would love to play a pure PvP MMO as long as its really well done.

One of these days I'm hopeing there will be a very well done MMO with both PvE and PvP and then I'll be in heaven :)

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15