Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynasty Warriors Online: The Official Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest MMORPG.com review, Dynasty Warriors goes under the proverbial microscope. The review is penned by Bobby Travis and he gives readers all the information necessary to decide whether or not Dynasty Warriors is the game for you. Check it out and then compare notes by leaving us a comment below.

Dynasty Warriors originally began as a spin off of Koei Japan's turn-based strategy game, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The title was a Tekken-style fighting game released on the Playstation in 1997, and there have since been a host of other titles and spin-offs that appear on hand-held and next-generation consoles. Most of these games also focus on the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history, where three powerful kingdoms vie for control of all of China. Dynasty Warriors Online first appeared in Japan in 2006, and the free-to-play MMO was picked up by Aeria Games and released to the western world in November of 2010.

Read more of Bobby Travis's Dynasty Warriors: The MMORPG.com Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I didn't think this was a bad game when I Beta'd, but it had some serious issues. The silly way you change controls was a big part of that, and disabling window mode is unforgivable in this day and age, in my opinion, when your max resolution is so low. I run 1920x1080, if you're going to force me to a lower resolution let me at least put the game in a window so I can access other things while I play.

The gameplay wasn't bad, very difficult in the early levels because nearly everything is stronger than you and everything is attacking you at once. That changes pretty quickly, but I found the stages limiting because they're all TIMED. I don't know if this has improved since I lasted played, but they don't give you freedom to run amok like in the console games. There was a timer in those stages too, but more often than not they were so outrageously long you could ignore them completely. Here, I was forced to complete stages in 10 minutes usually, sometimes as low as 5. That took from the joy of it for me. I liked being able to explore, get my kil count up and hunt down every officer on the field in the console games, but the MMO didn't let me do that.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• chilynchilyn Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Ciccero

The title was a Tekken-style fighting game

Tekken was a Street fighter style game or if you never played SF in the mid 80's, a Mortal Kombat style game.

Dynasty Warriors has more similarities to Zelda than Tekken :P)

Actually, the original Dynasty Warriors, way back in the ancient times of 1997, was a one on one fighter a lot like Tekken and Virtua Fighter, both of which were popular at the time. :) 

• chilynchilyn Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I didn't think this was a bad game when I Beta'd, but it had some serious issues. The silly way you change controls was a big part of that, and disabling window mode is unforgivable in this day and age, in my opinion, when your max resolution is so low. I run 1920x1080, if you're going to force me to a lower resolution let me at least put the game in a window so I can access other things while I play.

The gameplay wasn't bad, very difficult in the early levels because nearly everything is stronger than you and everything is attacking you at once. That changes pretty quickly, but I found the stages limiting because they're all TIMED. I don't know if this has improved since I lasted played, but they don't give you freedom to run amok like in the console games. There was a timer in those stages too, but more often than not they were so outrageously long you could ignore them completely. Here, I was forced to complete stages in 10 minutes usually, sometimes as low as 5. That took from the joy of it for me. I liked being able to explore, get my kil count up and hunt down every officer on the field in the console games, but the MMO didn't let me do that.

When I played the game for the review (chilyn = Bobby, by the way :D ), I found that everything was timed as well. I agree that some free-for-all would have been fantastic, especially if more RPG elements were included. Add on some better MMO infrastructure and some graphic increases and Dynasty Warriors might have hit an 8 over a 6.5. The downside of that, of course, is that it probably wouldn't have been free. 

• xXgunstarXxxXgunstarXx Member Posts: 29

Tekken was a Street fighter style game or if you never played SF in the mid 80's, a Mortal Kombat style game.

correction...  the very 1st dynasty warriors was in fact a tekken/virtua fighter style fighting game.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/dynastywarriors/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B6

no similarities to zelda...

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

Owned.

I like to complain about games.
  • GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Originally posted by Ridrith

Owned.

Obviously missed the part about Dynasty Warriors original concept was a fighting game, and has no similarities to Zelda whatso ever....

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Alphamojo

Originally posted by Ridrith

Owned.

Obviously missed the part about Dynasty Warriors original concept was a fighting game, and has no similarities to Zelda whatso ever....

owned?!?

BOOYAKA!

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

Dynasty Warriors has been using the same game play and engine for over a decade it really needs to be put six feet under at this point

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Great ideas, crappy controls.  DW plays much better on a console.  But the UI for this game requires a mouse and keyboard and can't be replaced with a controller.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

There seem to be far to many Pro's as oppossed to Cons for something that scores a 6.5.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Originally posted by Scot

There seem to be far to many Pro's as oppossed to Cons for something that scores a 6.5.

It seems a reasonable person gave the score and then a DW fanboy wrote the review. Grats mmorpg.com I love your reviews.

The Timed aspect is straight from the preceding video games. However the time is very short and doesn't allow for any detours during the game. You have to rush through the missions alot faster than in other titles and it makes for  very uninteresting gameplay. That was basically what turned me off from the game and I haven't been back since.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

With this I agree.

It seems as if a guy was writing a review and once getting down to the score section, got jumped by his editor who carefully explained to him that anything apart from tera, vindictus or TOR does not have the right to get past 7, especially if its f2p.

Ina  big sense this reminds me of IGN's fabulous and famous Castlevania:Lords of Shadow review, Where reviewer(famous for his bad reviews) wrote 5 paragraphs on how this is a good game, almost praising stuff  and then in the very last paragraphs ranted on the game and gave it 6/10.

Of course IGN since long time ago can no longer be trusted in reviews or opinions, but I would expect more in-review justification of the score.The only bad sides written seemingly are tutorial, game being instanced and outdated(read:not crysis engine, thus ooold) graphics. Now excuse me fornitpicking, but unless reviewer went indepth on just how major and bad these things were, I see huge dissonance between review and review summary.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off NONE of these so called f2p games are free.   The intent of all these developers is to make money and they eventually force you to make choices, stop playing or pay.

Highly instanced games like this barely meet the MMO standard.  This game is more like a Diablo than anything else.

Have fun if you enjoy this type of game.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Aiight so i downloaded and took a look at this game myself and i can say this game has a lot more cons then pros.

graphics 4/10 it doesnt even support my monitor's widscreen settings so everything looks so jammed together and sometimes very blurry even with the highest settings selected.

sound 5/10 i like the tracks but they get old withing the first 4 hours or playing the game.

gameplay 3/10 i know its a low score but after putting about 28 hours into the game i can deffinatly say that there is no time to upgrade your weapon to its limit before you start to pvp or do your quest. If your sword is like 18/18 then its impossible to. from the moment you start out your toon starts off with his arms spread like hes morphing into a power ranger.  no matter which clothes you put on his arms never change hes powering up dbz style.

online performance 2/10 now this is where it gets messy aeria net is supposed to be usa based  but youll soon find your the only person in the us in your party. with the crazy lag of fighting somone from anywhere between japan and brazil youll most likely also be the only one speaking english. this is the most major issue with usa aimed ftp we have today.

fun 5/10 since it starts off very fun then builds up into a huge dissapointment in the end. I will give this game a 5 out of fun. 

So all in all i would have to say that the reviewers need to put in over 24 hours into a game before he reviews it but I believe this review was very fair to dynasty warriors online. all the really have to do is give it a update to support higher resolution, block out of country ips to reduce major lag issues, and finally take off time limits on quests and you will have a good game imo.

• Sogi-YaSogi-Ya Member Posts: 53

not true, I used a controller almost exclusively.

sure you still need the keyboard to type, but talking to other players is largely unrequired. All of the menu short cuts have some very intuitive button assignments in town and the controller works better during batles than a mouse and keyboard. This is to date the only pc game I recommend using a controller for.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

did you ever check the xbox 360 version of dynasty warriors? its revamped graphics and its not the same Playstation 2 graphics that has been used forever ago...

they did not update this version for the fact that most computer players today aren't in the money to upgrade to the latest graphics cards to run certain games at optimum specifications (look at freaking crysis when it came out)

anyways, 6.5 isnt a bad score but it could have been better, the game was great and the series itself was something... now i only expect an update where it is open battlefields later on that all connect xD (but that would probably ruin the whole game since its based around isntances now wont it lol)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Yuui

With this I agree.

It seems as if a guy was writing a review and once getting down to the score section, got jumped by his editor who carefully explained to him that anything apart from tera, vindictus or TOR does not have the right to get past 7, especially if its f2p.

Ina  big sense this reminds me of IGN's fabulous and famous Castlevania:Lords of Shadow review, Where reviewer(famous for his bad reviews) wrote 5 paragraphs on how this is a good game, almost praising stuff  and then in the very last paragraphs ranted on the game and gave it 6/10.

Of course IGN since long time ago can no longer be trusted in reviews or opinions, but I would expect more in-review justification of the score.The only bad sides written seemingly are tutorial, game being instanced and outdated(read:not crysis engine, thus ooold) graphics. Now excuse me fornitpicking, but unless reviewer went indepth on just how major and bad these things were, I see huge dissonance between review and review summary.

I find it funny that people seem to think the editors tell people to only rank certain games well. That makes zero sense if you understand business, but so few who post on the internet work let alone have any business sense.

The review was about the same as i would write if I wrote from my playing of the game and the score about what I would give it. The review does not read like a fanboy review.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Who cares what he rated the game? Do we care that much seriously? We know how skewed things can be when dealing with opinions. (just take a look at MMOSite's Award voting). The game is Dynasty Warriors.. Point blank.. If you didn't like Dynasty Warriors on the consoles, you will not like it here, and I seriously doubt many of you were Dynasty Warrior fans before trying it on the PC..

Most of the people who are enjoying this game and can look past the minor nuances are the fans of the series.. They basically kept the gameplay the same so I seriously doubt it was created for anyone else to enjoy but people who are familiar with Dynasty Warriors and its gameplay, they even kept the weapon combos the exact same as their console counterparts.. its not new, its not refreshing, it can be tedious to some and very repetitive.. but this is what it is and has been for a very long time..

I have always enjoyed the concept of Dynasty Warriors. I burned out on it after 4 and did not play another one until they started using the Gundam Universe (which produced some excellent results).. My only gripe with this game is the usage of the three kingdoms era (TOO many MMO's based on this), which is vintage Dynasty Warriors, but given that they have already applied the formula to Gundam and Fist of the North Star I would have preferred them to use a different universe for their online game..

• ShienShien Member Posts: 26

It was a okay game,  although mindless at best but once you get used to the awkward control and interface it's actually a pretty fun fast paced hack and slash game, it's something I had on my computer for awhile, after the initial couple hours I thought I would hop back on it when I get bored with the other games but I still haven't.  To me this game offer nothing special or lasting comparing to all the other MMORPG I played, so there's really no incentive to play again,  in fact this review remind me of delete this game off my computer.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

I have to agree with those who say the writing and the rating in this review do not seem to coincide.

• ValencianWinValencianWin Member Posts: 8

The game is not martial arts. What are you saying?