Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth paying $39.99?

charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Hi i been watching this game for abit but i keep being put of from buying it,

So im just wondering mainly to them who play it is it worth buying at moment or should i wait abit?.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by charlespayne

So im just wondering mainly to them who play it is it worth buying at moment or should i wait abit?.

ive never heard of this game before, so i went to youtube to look for some video gameplays.... my first impression from those videos was that the devs kinda were not sure what to add to the game, the graphics look somewhat nice, but it feels so empty, i didnt see more than 1 player walking around (that was the one who made the video lol),  though by empty i mean like its missing features in the game which makes the environment feels empty. i dont think i wanna pay that much to try that game and see if its worth the buy... a first bad impression is not a good sign

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

"Worth" is subjective.  It depends what you're looking for.  You should be aware, however, that the game hasn't yet launched and there's no ETA on the launch date. The original launch date was supposed to be back in March, 2010.  Your $39.99 today basically buys you beta access.  Since the game is currently n beta you should expect that the experience won't be all that polished.  If and when the game actually launches, you'll get two free months of play time for having pre-ordered the game.

Some people are content to pay and test now. Others aren't. It's up to you.

~Ripper

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

I'd say its very much worth it but thats because I've been playing nearly a month now and have gotten used to the game and figured out many of the things you can do. Admittedly, it was a little weird to get used to at first. Now that many of the major bugs have been fixed (granted it's beta, there will always be bugs), content patches should start rolling out relatively quickly. Right now on top of the many professions we have construction and some tribe rank functionality has just made it in and will be completed relatively soon. I'm not sure what all is on his priority list next once he gets the tribe system sorted out (tribes are already in place but there's some mechanics to still be worked on). I'm sure you could ask on the official forums. He's very in touch with his player base and actually listens to their suggestions, which is a pleasant deviation from the norm with many MMO's. 

As far as paying for beta access, I know it's a little weird. But, and don't quote me on this, I've heard of people getting a refund. I didn't hear of these people's reasons for getting them, but I'm sure the developers won't just hand it out to any random joe that asks for one. It seems to have happened in the past a few times and without much trouble at all. That being said, don't purchase the game thinking "Oh, I can just get a refund when I get bored". I don't think you'll be bored though =)

If you do decide to buy it, head on over to the official Xsyon forums and look for me, I have the same account name over there ("travdoty"). If you'd like to test out the game with an active tribe who loves helping eachother and testing the game, I'll have you contact my tribe's recruitment officer. We're easily the most active tribe right now (many tribes don't even log in much at all right now) but there are plenty of other tribes to choose from. 

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

TL;DR

Yes, Cataclysm is worth buying for $39.99.

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Brif

TL;DR

God, your one of those image

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

My knee-jerk is wait a bit. Go to the Xsyon forums and chat there as well. 

I support indies, as I did with this one 9-months ago when the devs said they are launching in April 2010.  After several no-go starts and the date slipping, as well as the enthusiastic community realizing the leadership stumbled way too many times on anthing resembling launch or even a semi-stable and mechanically playable game, they bailed for the time-being.

Just watch it a bit more.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by travdoty

Originally posted by Brif

TL;DR

God, your one of those image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by rojo6934

ive never heard of this game before, so i went to youtube to look for some video gameplays.... my first impression from those videos was that the devs kinda were not sure what to add to the game, the graphics look somewhat nice, but it feels so empty, i didnt see more than 1 player walking around (that was the one who made the video lol),  though by empty i mean like its missing features in the game which makes the environment feels empty. i dont think i wanna pay that much to try that game and see if its worth the buy... a first bad impression is not a good sign

Hey rojo:

Your saying it looks empty, i don't know how much you have read on the forums etc etc but that is how it is supposed to be. The idea is that you start in the middle of nowhere and have to start from scratch. There are no starter towns or beginner areas.

also, those vids are old, construction is in and tribes are building thier towns using a combination of buildings walls and terraforming. However, 99% of the game area is barren.

• MirokataMirokata Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I support indies, as I did with this one 9-months ago when the devs said they are launching in April 2010.  After several no-go starts and the date slipping, as well as the enthusiastic community realizing the leadership stumbled way too many times on anthing resembling launch or even a semi-stable and mechanically playable game, they bailed for the time-being.

People give way too much slack to 'indie' developers.

Wanna know why he's still 'indie' after being involved in a failed MMO (Roma Victor) and on his slow way to a second (Xsyon)? Something is missing. Maybe its his lack of vision, maybe its his managment skills, maybe its his development team, maybe its his business skills.

Whatever it is, it leaves him in a position where he is today: Years deep into a project, 9 months off their estimated release date with no end in sight, and a community consisting of ~10 fanboys who enjoy playing his paid alpha, who also happen to be fueling most of the important design descisions for him.

Is there any hope for this game to turn out enjoyable?  No. If you want to stick around for another 9 months, go nuts. In the meantime, many new games will release, and many new projects will arise.

Why waste your time watching something you've already seen fall flat on it's face?

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Mirokata

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

People give way too much slack to 'indie' developers.

Wanna know why he's still 'indie' after being involved in a failed MMO (Roma Victor) and on his slow way to a second (Xsyon)? Something is missing. Maybe its his lack of vision, maybe its his managment skills, maybe its his development team, maybe its his business skills.

Whatever it is, it leaves him in a position where he is today: Years deep into a project, 9 months off their estimated release date with no end in sight, and a community consisting of ~10 fanboys who enjoy playing his paid alpha, who also happen to be fueling most of the important design descisions for him.

Is there any hope for this game to turn out enjoyable?  No. If you want to stick around for another 9 months, go nuts. In the meantime, many new games will release, and many new projects will arise.

Why waste your time watching something you've already seen fall flat on it's face?

I rather him go slow and give us a game that is not so buggy , look at WOW's expansion with a huge team the damn thing is full of bugs.... So before you bash indies look in the mirror at bigger companies there worse, even the mighty WOW..

iN fact  the bugs from release are still there and the expansion is a month out with tons of bugs making it unplayable at times.. I have played indies and WOW so I know..

WOW the other day, I was in nexus and older instance and after the first 2 boss's nothing would show me loot when the boss died, so after that I left, went on to do quest in northrend and I could not use any quest item it said retrieving item info...

I had to log on each char to get a critical error for it to clear after 30mins, so you talk about indie's, the big bad companys are just the same...