Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game to play

RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

Let me start this off by saying the last MMORPG I played was Ultima Online around 98-00 and I absolutely loved it. Then they changed it from the dark scary place that made it so exciting, to a happy no-risk items over skill game. I quit shortly thereafter and havent seen anything that would interest me since. WOW and its clones have zero apeal to me as risk vs reward is a huge driving point in a game I want.

I miss the days when traveling from one city to another was so exciting because you had no idea what dangers were on the roads. Thieves, murders, beggers, and everything in between were pcs and not npc spawns that you knew showed up every time you traveled a certain road.

I'm looking for something that is full pvp all the time, full loot, and run by the players with player housing, crafting, and towns. I'm heavy into RPing and a game where everything you do has no impact on the world seems like a waste of time to me. If there is a game like this out there somewhere could someone please point me in its direction?

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Mortal or Darkfall.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• VinalG4ceVinalG4ce Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by GTwander

Mortal or Darkfall.

Though both games  are sand-box first-person mmorpgs with housing features, encountering players can be incredibly hard because the playerbase is low. Plus Darkfall is a pay-to-play game.

What I would recommend for you are mmos that have large communities so you can meet other players and build your own network of community which decrease the chances of boredom which leads to quiting. And also a high playerbase mmorpg has the least chance of closing down.

My current game is Silkroad. It is popular, haas a wide choice in choosing your main class and sub-class. Graphically superior at it's time and still a very good mmorpg till now. botting has been decreased since the last year update.

Games with housing features would be Fiesta(if you like or don't mind the anime graphics) and Atlantica( turn-based mmorpg). They also have many people in the servers, so you can go give it a chance and see the outcome.

The last pick would be runes of magic. Honestly, I find the game immensely boring in the beginning. The only things which make me return to the game are the battle system, dual-jobs, life skills and the environment.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

You and I both....

You pretty much summed up the reasons I loved UO when I played it.  Also the reason I left.  I’m a hard-core, all or nothing type of PvP player.  Not that I ganked everyone I saw, it was just knowing I could lose it all in a moment’s notice anytime I logged in, that kept me coming back for more.

Darkfall is the better choice of the only two games I can think of when it comes to that.  It’s a fairly “complete” game with smooth game play.  There are obvious lacks of content and low player base though.  I ran from one side of the world to another and saw absolutely no one the entire time when I played a year ago.

Mortal Online is the other and it’s just a pile of scrap code that’s not worth the bandwidth it takes to download.  It’s a bug-ridden, low player based, tedious pile of crap.  It also has a developer that’s about as professional as my 3 year old nephew.  Sadly, its concept is one that I was rooting for and would really love to fall in love with… but then they released the game.

I almost forgot to mention Eve.  I sorta liked it... but had some issues with it.  Boredom was my #1 problem.  It's long and feels like you're studying for a graduate degree while you learn the different skills and systems of the game.  The fact that your character can study and advance while you log out also got me wondering why I was bothering to pay them money to play a game I didn’t have to play.

• AkechtaAkechta Member Posts: 219

Try a Runescape private server... One I'm playing right now is called CrisisX...

I prefer it over the real Runescape as it still has duel arena staking and wilderness pvp...

There is skilling for those that want it but the game is largely PvP... Lots of valuable items to stake...

Takes about 2 days hardout to get all your melee stats to peak level.

Try it image

Originally posted by Lerxst

Mortal Online is the other and it’s just a pile of scrap code that’s not worth the bandwidth it takes to download.  It’s a bug-ridden, low player based, tedious pile of crap.  It also has a developer that’s about as professional as my 3 year old nephew.  Sadly, its concept is one that I was rooting for and would really love to fall in love with… but then they released the game.

It may be a pile of scrap code thats bug-ridden and has a low player base, but the word "tedious" has no place in a comparison against Darkfall. I've played both, and still say MO is miles better than DF, even in the crappy state it was in back in the OB. People are pissed about being let down, but the game at its core is one of the best out there... it's just too bad that most players care more about the polish than the core itself.

This is why I play Wurm. It's an amazing game that most people seeking *exactly* what it has to offer won't put up with simply because how it looks > what it does. Shallow gamers deserve the hole they dig themselves.

• RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

How does the future of Mortal Online look? Are the devs actually listening to the players and trying to improve the game? Or are they "fixing" things that everyone is fine with while ignoring long overdue problems?

The core of the game seems too good to be true. Open pvp, full looting, thievery, players can change the world... it all sounds like everything I want, but are they actually delivering it now or in the near future?

I'm sick and tired of getting my hopes up for these games that sound so amazing only to find out that they couldnt deliver or they get scrapped.

Originally posted by Radzik

How does the future of Mortal Online look?

Grim.

Are the devs actually listening to the players and trying to improve the game? Or are they "fixing" things that everyone is fine with while ignoring long overdue problems?

No idea, but every new patch comes with it's own set of new bugs and such. I hear they get to a hotfix for it fairly quickly, but a lot of things that were an issue back in OB are still there, not sure what exactly, but I'm sure of it.

The core of the game seems too good to be true. Open pvp, full looting, thievery, players can change the world... it all sounds like everything I want, but are they actually delivering it now or in the near future?

It's all there, it's just about as "polished" as a turd, which is really all that people care about these days.

I'm sick and tired of getting my hopes up for these games that sound so amazing only to find out that they couldnt deliver or they get scrapped.

Well deal with it, the only people willing to take a risk on this niche of a game style are amatuers, and what you end up getting is an amatuer effort. You either deal with that, or start looking for something else to do with your time.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

You should come PLAY EVE online were most of us all VETS now live... THE new games are for little kidds, they cant take a loss and would rage quit the first time they got pawned.

SO come to the Retierment home.. We old folks who like RISK vS REWARD all hang out in EVE online the last BASTION of HOPE

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

Also LineAge 2 making a come back with the nerfed grind and since they are banning cheaters and bots. in 3 months u can be competitive in pvp and its a lot of fun

Back then we had to get our eyes bleeding with the grind but not anymore

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Zlayer77

You should come PLAY EVE online were most of us all VETS now live... THE new games are for little kidds, they cant take a loss and would rage quit the first time they got pawned.

SO come to the Retierment home.. We old folks who like RISK vS REWARD all hang out in EVE online the last BASTION of HOPE

I gave Eve an honest effort a couple years ago.  My common sense just sarted yelling at me though.

When the skills started taking days to learn, I would end up being stuck in an area doing the same thing over and over again until the cows came home.  Then I would rinse and repeat for anohter 4 skills until I was capable of improving my ship in some way so that I could try a new challenge.

I realized I was spending more time waiting to actually play the type of game I wanted, than actually playing it.  My in-game actions had little say in the advancement of my character short of making money.

There was also no way to ever "catch up" to anyone who started years before me.  The gaps between the characters never shrink; if someone's character is better than you, they will always be better than you.  This isn't a big deal when you're only talking about a couple months worth of advancement, but at this stage in Eve, you're talking about a few years worth of a gap.

There's just no way to start a new game of Eve and ever feel like you'll be on par with everyone else at this stage.