Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If not money then what?

TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

(Pissing in the wind as the year ticks down)

Why not give the many fans of Precu SWG the game back that was taken from them years ago.  SOE has demonstrated their willingness to run a game and it's server(s) with very little support and a miniscule player base.

When I bought the house I live in 10+ years ago, I got a bargain.  It was nice, but it needed some work, some love.  That's what SWG needs today, even in it's current state.  The game originally was not perfect, and additions were built onto it also imperfect.  But for many it was a kind of home away from home.  A virtual world where we could for a little while escape the real world in favor of another and don the mask of hero or villian, tradesman or entertainer, statesman or vagabond. 

With Star Wars Galaxies General forums and the SWG Veteran Refuge, there are over 180 thousand posts and 10 thousand seperate threads, more than the majority of games listed at Mmorpg.com.  And yet the opportunity to give some old gamers back their game and very likely make more money than some of those other games eludes them.

I can think of a number of scenarios in which a Precu SWG server could be brought online and not be a burden.  Surely the folks at SOE could think of those options and others.

(Pulls up zipper)

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

disclaimed: speculation follows, presented as my perspective of what MIGHT be happening.

I'm going to toss two possible responses:

1. They cannot.  Someone, maybe LucasArts, holds something that prevents SOE from running a classic server.  Maybe in this case they realize the failing but are powerless to fix it and possibly gagged from expressing why.

Another angle on this is that some braniac developer who was responsible for the for the depth in SWG may have gotten cheezed by the SOE involvement and said the heck with it.  It wouldn't be the first project that went bottom up given the brains behind it walked off and nobody else could figure out how it even worked.

2. They don't want to.  There might be a person of the mindset that "We were totally screwed by those sandboxers and their unrealistic expectations.  There's not enough of them to make any real money and the continued development costs of keeping the game up to date just are not justified".  In this case, some big ego knows what he or she wants and it doesn't matter of the sandbox vets like it or not.

Overall, I think it's a real shame.  A solid sandbox would have provided a place for the sandboxers to go, and helped ground the MMO genre in a direction other than themepark.  I'm not saying that SWG would have prevented WoW.  Just that if SWG had stayed sandbox that possibly there would be more SWG clones out there instead of wall-to-wall themeparks.

Just my 2 copper... and likely over priced at that :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

2 copper?  I think that's a bargain based on your thoughtful comments.  Thank you.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think lucas arts just had enough of Soe's theories on how to fix the game and told them no more bullshit and told soe to sleep in the bed they made.

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

After all the B/S SoE and LA pulled would you really pay those guys to play again? Smedley and his super best friends don't deserve a dime of my money or anyone elses.

Not me. No way.

I prefer it the way it is now.

My stepchild last month wanted to play some some clone wars game online. Under normal circumstances, I would have let him have at it. Unfortunately for SoE, i happen to be a veteran gamer and noticed their little logo on the website. This gave me an excellent opportunity to discuss with my little one on how paying customers should be treated.

Never underestimate the power of word of mouth.

SoE can burn in hell for all I care.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I believe $OE no longer has the dev talent to run a classic server. Even in maintenance mode, there would have to be someone available to handle exploits and the more serious bugs . In fact, this could be one of the major factors why there wasn't any rollback or classic server intoduced much earlier.....lack of competent manpower. That and I think LA already jumped in bed with Bioware when the NGE was allowed to go live and decided to squash any rollback then or classic servers now.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

What 5 yrs or something of these exact same question and posts?....ZZZzzzzzzzz

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Lets remember that LucasArts made the NGE. Not Sony.

When it failed miserably, LucasArts took the NGE and hired Bioware to make it.

And now we're all soooooo excited for the NGE 2.0 (SWTOR)

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

This made me LOL because it's true.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Several soe developers have openly admitted they conceived and created the NGE, not lucas arts. 

I'm not saying lucas and the former SWG devs working at bioware are not still caught up on the nge design concepts, but soe was the origin of the nge.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

SWG failed miserably as a whole.  They had SOE develope this game, that was their first mistake.  NGE or no NGE that game was a disaster.  The only reason the nge even came into existance was because they were not satisfied with the current sub population and out of disperation   did what they thought would attract more players.  Unfortunately anyone who they could have attracted were all drove away by the initial release of the pre cu, and that catastrophe.  Notice how all these games that have a disasterous release try to change things around,. but never get the player base they had when they first launched???

Yea, ppl played swg pre cu and said, wow this sucks, and then some folks probably liked it. THe people that thought it sucked to begin with aren't going back just because of the changes they make to the game.  ONly thing they managed to do was drive away the players that were satisfied with how the game was, failing to get back all the players they had lost after a week of release.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Daffid011

Several soe developers have openly admitted they conceived and created the NGE, not lucas arts. 

I'm not saying lucas and the former SWG devs working at bioware are not still caught up on the nge design concepts, but soe was the origin of the nge.

Yep first hand knowledge it was definately SOE not Lucas who A: thoguht to do it B: did it,  sure Lucas sanctioned it but that is about the extent of their involment in it.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

JS: That straight sandbox games don't work. And that we needed to focus much more on the Star Wars experience. I think in the past, what we probably made was the Uncle Owen experience as opposed to the Luke experience. We needed to deliver more of the Star Wars heroic and epic feeling to the game. I think we missed there. That's what I think we really brought to the game [with the update].

One thing that I love about our company is that there is no "quit" in this company. It's about making sure that we have pride in what we do. People within the company feel so much pride in this game that they want it to beat the crap out of World of Warcraft. That's something we feel very passionate about. We know we are capable of making the best stuff out there, and I'm proud to say that with the changes we're making in Galaxies, I think we're headed in the right direction.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141213.html

Here is your why not, straight form the horses, well i would say mouth but it sounds more like its a$$

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Lucas Arts might have come up with the IDEA of NGE. To make the game draw in more action players. To speed up the pace of combat and make it feel more involving.

What SOE did can be compared to duct taping wings to a buss and calling it an airplane. It was simply a pathetic display of horrible programming. Simply terrible work.

TOR is the other option to patching a existing code, and starting one from scratch....problem I have is Bioware didn't even design the game engine. They are just skinning Heroes Journey. I am most let down with this.

The budget Bioware has for this and they contract Heroes Journey....bleh.

Any devs going to ever step up and make a true next gen MMO?

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Evile

Lucas Arts might have come up with the IDEA of NGE. To make the game draw in more action players. To speed up the pace of combat and make it feel more involving.

What SOE did can be compared to duct taping wings to a buss and calling it an airplane. It was simply a pathetic display of horrible programming. Simply terrible work.

TOR is the other option to patching a existing code, and starting one from scratch....problem I have is Bioware didn't even design the game engine. They are just skinning Heroes Journey. I am most let down with this.

The budget Bioware has for this and they contract Heroes Journey....bleh.

Any devs going to ever step up and make a true next gen MMO?

Hero Engine is actually a very good engine and its not as if Bioware will not have pillaged it to pieces,  if Bioware was to have attempted to use their own of which theirs is not designed for multiplayer then dev costs could have been infintely higher for a worse engine.

I can't think of a recent MMO that has been developed on a standalone engine bulit only for that game its just not viable.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

My personal belief is there is some physical / technical / financial / legal reason SOE simply cannot.  They have no choice in the matter. 

It was popular for a time to speculate that ego alone kept SOE management from rolling back /opening classic servers, because to do so would be "admitting" their mistake.  After all, the logic goes, it was much better business to lose millions than look weak in the eyes of your customers, competitors and investors.  This was usually claimed by persons who, in the very next post, would state Smed would eagerly sell his daughters for a sawbuck.  Resolve that logic.

If they could rollback or open classic servers, they would have.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

the real reason is because SOE said they wouldn't bring precu back a long time ago and they are men of their word. I win.

btw what's with all this talk of nge breaking the game. Did you people even play the game during the CU debacle? Even if it could be argued that the NGE imposed more radical changes, the CU was actually NGE 1.0. The patch commonly known as "NGE" was actually NGE 2.0. The changes made in the CU were clearly steps in a process to go from a sandbox to a more WoW-like game. Again, the timeline goes... WoW released --> NGE 1.0 (CU) --> NGE 2.0 (NGE) --> NGE 3.0 (TOR).

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Precursor

After all the B/S SoE and LA pulled would you really pay those guys to play again? Smedley and his super best friends don't deserve a dime of my money or anyone elses.

Not me. No way.

My stepchild last month wanted to play some some clone wars game online. Under normal circumstances, I would have let him have at it. Unfortunately for SoE, i happen to be a veteran gamer and noticed their little logo on the website. This gave me an excellent opportunity to discuss with my little one on how paying customers should be treated.

Haha, did they step on your puppy while they were at it?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Precursor

Not me. No way.

/this 1000x

$oE is banned for me and my family since 11 the 15th in the Year of 2005. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)