Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Survivor Guy: Darkfall Edition #3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com writer Adam Tingle continues his adventures in Darkfall with Survivor Guy: Darkfall Edition #3. In the first installment, Adam took his first tottering steps in Darkfall. In the second, he got his bearings aligned and began questing and feeling not-quite-so-n00bish. Now we come to part three of Adam's continuing adventures. Check it out and then leave us a comment or two below.

Iron ingots ready and in the bank - check. Gold coins and leather in the bank – check. Tongs and hammer in my inventory – check. Flitting through the sunlit streets of Heart of Eanna, I wandered from the blacksmith’s workshop to various points around town collecting up my resources – I was about to embark on a spot of crafting and nobody but a raging ginger dwarf could stop me.

Read more Survivor Guy: Darkfall Edition #3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

As always a good read.    

In Darkfall I found that banding together with others of your like helped immensely.  Since you seem more inclined to solo play you will have to suffer for it.  The thing about a aiming system like Darkfall, always zig zag when running away, arrows and most spells will almost always miss in such a case.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I've enjoyed reading about your journey.  Maybe now that the staff here has someone who has clocked in a fair amount time with recent versions of the game, you could contribute do doing a rereview for the site here.

• mckimminsmckimmins Member UncommonPosts: 51

He mentioned in a forum post that he would do a review after the last of the survivor articles. I bet we get one soon.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Solo PVP is very fun because of the stealth involved and the extra risk on top of not having to split loot with anyone but the guy above me is right in many ways. Joining a good clan will completely change your gaming experience (could be better for the extreme or worse . .. depending on the clan) but the clan wars will bring opponents at times that are several times more powerful than the average wandering PK. Clans have safe zones that they enforce. You can simply watch the log or pay attention in vent and you'll know way ahead of time if enemies are in the vicinity. I usually did the solo PK thing myself, living out of different chaos cities and stuff but it feels like a completely different game when you get more into politics and the end game.

For the best immediate PK fun for you I recomment that you do one of the following as a new player:

solo PVP for a blue

Bind at Hildershall (Human Lands just south of Sandbrook) @ 5'50" E 25'50" S

Pick off members of the NEW clan who live in a city walking distance south of the bind spot. Many reds live in the city so its a great way to get alignment back. Hammerdale is their city which is @ 5' 20" E 26' 25" S

-or-

group PVP or solo PVP as a red

Join the NEW clan and bind at Hammerdale immediately. You can join NEW as long as you are a new player, abide by their fair and simple rules, and are able to have their assistance for no more than 30 days. Now you do not have to worry about going red. You can wander around Human Lands which is right over the hill and make some harvesting runs and hopefully bank lots of loot!

Remember: if you lag suddenly it means that people are loading into the area and have not come into sight yet.

Have fun man! Nice read. You may want to post some ingame screenshots . ...

Always have good food hotkeyed and major potions. Sure major potions are expensive to a new player, but if drinking one can save your life, it is worth it. If you pick up enchanting, I would put keenness and stamina efficiency on some custom gear.

Make gear bags!!

Its really frustrating to die when you know that you would have to restock up at the bank which will be a huge time sink in the long run if you do not create a simple system for youself. Don't hoard and do not be afraid to wear your best, but make sure that you always have at least a few bags with regs, gear, etc. so that after you die you can just grab a bag and be good to go out again. Its kind of like gambling. The more you risk (the better gear you wear) means the more chance of scoring better gear.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Remember: if you lag suddenly it means that people are loading into the area and have not come into sight yet.

Work's vice versa also....that player that stumbled into your loading range has also felt you and if your PvEing chances are he was looking for you in the first place.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Saving the best for last. Classic! Very good piece. Sure brings a lot of memory (some recent) to mind.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111

I dont personaly see how a review can be done after not experiencing some of the core game elements such as sieging and group combat. 

This isnt a game where you can play for one month and then have a maxed character like some other titles.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

AWW, the life of a non-macro/hackin/bloodwall player. A moment of weakness only to pass on the evil to others who will surely fall to the dark side of power driven core game elements. Instead of all that work, you should have left your PC running as you swam/ran/damaged your way to the core game elements in less than a month. But alas, all is fair in love and war. Looking forward to your review.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Great read. Shows how awesome hardcore pvp games are that they give you the freedom to do what you want. Kill, dont kill. And no mention of questing after l33t loot.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Good read. I have tried a few times to get into DFO, but couldn't find enough ppl to really play with. Still own the client though, if I ever come into 15 bucks with absolutely nothing to do with I will give it another go.

Best of luck!

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Thanks for another good chuckle! Keep up the good work

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by youngkg

Work's vice versa also....that player that stumbled into your loading range has also felt you and if your PvEing chances are he was looking for you in the first place.

Kind of reminds me of the Highlander.

LOL

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

Great article.  Darkfall is a very unforgiving game...ruthless to the core...but it's all worth it when you get the jump on someone. 

"At the end of the day, it is better to be the star rather than the fluffer." - so true;0

Thanks for the read.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Originally posted by faided

I dont personaly see how a review can be done after not experiencing some of the core game elements such as sieging and group combat. 

This isnt a game where you can play for one month and then have a maxed character like some other titles.

I agree he just scrubbed around Newbie area's No siege's nothing thats the Game not running around being a Noob in the starter area's.

• GosseynGosseyn Member Posts: 26

Great read indeed :)