Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointing game

CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

Gameplay is very slow.

These highly advanced robots basically crawl across the map. It takes longer to get to a quest mission and back than it ever does to actually do the mission itself. Even with 7/10 in nav skill my robot felt like he was at best walking briskly.

Very confusing at first which is ok, except you will probably blow all your EP's into skills you dont understand until a bit later on. Of course by the time you figure out you made a mistake and want to respect it is too late. There is no respec system. Also character creation is just as confusing. The 6 main skill trees mostly make no sense. WTF does politics do again? Lastly,  when you choose an avatar for your robot pilot the models are laughable. Pilot models look like something out of the Lawnmower Man or Max Headroom.

Enemy behavior in this game is pitiful. Mobs wont aggro unless you attack most of the time. Other times ones mob may aggro next to you while another enemy just as close will not. Most of the time after you attack ALL of the enemies in an entire area will begin attacking you. There are no discernable aggro ranges or radius in this game. Its like spinning a random wheel to see what comes up which is crap. However the most obnoxious part of aggro is that even after you run away alot of these mobs will follow you for what seems like ever. Even after they drop aggro and leave you alone they really have not dropped aggro at all and once you get close to them again they will ALL start coming after you. Mobs dont clear aggro. Why? Bad programming probably.

Finally comes the nail in the coffin.; Robots are EXPENSIVE. This of course would be completely fine except that if your robot gets killed in combat than it is GONE. My 1.5 million assault bot got killed because of the garbage mob aggrom mechanics in this game and because of it my robot and all his parts were lost for good (some terd came by and looted everything.) Oh did i mention its full loot? People can even loot you when they didnt kill you. Just run by your busted robot corpse. How cool is that?  Also why the hell would anyone endgame PvP in a game where if you get killed your 20 million NIC heavy mech goes bye bye?? Very few people most likely. Which is why this game WILL FAIL. Bank on it.

All in all I would give this game a 4/10. It has a lot of depth and promise but it will almost surely never reach that promise. Terrible mechanics and substanard gameplay.

Comments

• PoliceQCPoliceQC Member UncommonPosts: 40

yeah!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

EP spending can be confusing. So can character creation. I would definitely recommend checking the forums before spending any EP. Though if you do spend it all your initial EP in something silly like politics (no, I don't know what you get for that stuff) you will generate more EP and you can still complete missions and gather raw materials without spending any EP.

For speed, you have to choose between fast, able to take a hit or able to dish out damage. There's just no instant travel. The animations could stand to be better for the really fast robots though, my Arkhe looks more like it's skating than running.

When your robot is blown up, it's blown up. You can't get any robot parts from it. They could maybe have gotten some of what was in your cargo hold though. I think the items in your cargo hold have a 50% chance of getting blown up. They do have insurance that will pay you the current market value of your destroyed robot.

As far as the robot AI, they range from drone class (wandering loot dispensers) to the full on combat classes (run away!). It's not immediately obvious which ones are which unless you target one and read some of the information associated with them. There's a little 'i' button in the target picture you can click that will give you information on your target. There don't appear to be any limits on how many will see you and attack like in other MMO games. It doesn't seem like the mobs are tied together, each individual may see you and decide to attack you so you could end up with 5 or more robots attacking you just because you stood too close to them.

The mechanics you've described though are pretty standard "sandbox" mechanics. Full loot, steeper learning curve, etc. Even the slow travel is a sandbox thing. You either like it or you don't. If you don't like it then the game probably isn't for you. Even if you like other sandbox games, this particular implementation may not be to your liking. It happens.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by CzechGuy

It takes longer to get to a quest mission and back than it ever does to actually do the mission itself.

I suggest you to measure the time you spent walking on your questing in other games. It isn't much different.

Travel times are incredible time sinks in all MMOs.

I never understood why people sense it so fiercely with Pereptuum...

Very confusing at first which is ok, except you will probably blow all your EP's into skills you dont understand until a bit later on.

Yes...just a plain copy-paste of very bad system without any own input and thought.

Respecs are especially pointless with skill system of Perpetuum.

Enemy behavior in this game is pitiful.

Sorry, but problem is on your end.

They tried to tweak NPC behavior, I would not say it is AI, so they act a bit oddly but still far from what you describe.

The game takes very different approach to PVE combat so it might seem confusing at first touch. Practice kiting because that is how the game is meant to be played.

Play the game a bit more and keep your mind open, it will make sense to you once you get a grip of it.

Finally comes the nail in the coffin.; Robots are EXPENSIVE. This of course would be completely fine except that if your robot gets killed in combat than it is GONE.

Without item loss, there would be little reason to mine, build robots and items.

The key word for you is resource management. Might not be fun for you but some find it entertaining as it adds another layers to the game.

EDIT:
    Edited a bit to make it less wall of text.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

The market is completely player driven, things are going to be costly because everything is new. It takes alot of effort to have the funds, materials and skills to manufacture things. Even the lesser bots are cheaper now then they were at release, once players have access to more funds and more materials and there's more buy orders, prices will eventually even out. Also, corps can monopolise the market at the moment, so that's why things are expensive, but once those indie corps/players catch up with these big corps, prices will have to fall to compete.

There more you equip your bot with, the heavier it becomes and thus the slower it will move. There's alot of bots that have good speed, but you need to be careful what you put onto it so that your speed won't get penalised too much.

The character creation process definately needs to be reworked, and the AI in this game is nothing special.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

To the OP, just plain and simple.

"Rome wasn't built in a day".

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , think you should stick to basic gameplay and leave MMOs such as Perpetuum to the big boys.   Since Perp has a continuous skill point system , you have all the time in world to learn what skills do. So being impatient as you apparently were , that's your own fault.  Second , since Perpetuum has identical market system as EVE-Online , and since Perpetuum is new , it is normal to see high prices at first but they are declining rather quickly. Example : The Tremis , the mining mech was worth about 10 million nic this pass week end and currently sits at under 5 million nic since more and more people get the Kernels to 100% to prototype one and start manufacturing.  Again if you think a 3-4 week old MMO has to have everything cheap and needs to have it all , it's your own fault for not being patient. Third , NPC aggro , so yea you get aggroed by 5-6 NPCs and start getting owned , probably because again your impatient and are trying to kill off veteran/elite drones in your starter drone.  Also drones are slow for tactical purposes , especially for PVP , would be dumb to have a fully loaded gunned mech moving as fast as a scouting drone. We call this basic game mechanics and common sense. Also when you'll be able to fire rockets and lasers 300+ meters away , you won't care much for how fast your drone crawls.

Basically your crititism is out of line , apparently you are impatient and this game isn't for you as for many people. Like EVE-Online you need to learn the game before going into action. Which is why these kind of MMOs seperate the men from the boys and most boys want everything now now now. Unlike STO that hasn't done anything for a year except for some Entreprise design contests , Perpetuum will thrive into one hell of a MMO by the end of 2011 if not sooner.  *Goes back to Perp*

Enjoy your next MMO !

-DL

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by CzechGuy                                                                                                                                                                Also why the hell would anyone endgame PvP in a game where if you get killed your 20 million NIC heavy mech goes bye bye?? Very few people most likely. Which is why this game WILL FAIL. Bank on it.

Ever heard of an MMO called EVE? A few hundred thousand people disagree with you.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Travel time in this game is insanely faster than a majority of the mmorpgs I have played.....that is just false information.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by LethalBurst

Originally posted by CzechGuy                                                                                                                                                                Also why the hell would anyone endgame PvP in a game where if you get killed your 20 million NIC heavy mech goes bye bye?? Very few people most likely. Which is why this game WILL FAIL. Bank on it.

Ever heard of an MMO called EVE? A few hundred thousand people disagree with you.

Make it to a few 20k-40k ish players, since we all knew there be alts in every eve player. =D

On topic, i dont get the OP. Seems like an uncalled bashing of some random game just to grab attention? Srsly it's getting stale and lame. lol.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Gameplay is slow?  SO that means you've gone to Beta with 10+ of your CORP buddies and PvP'd against a clan like M2S or AXE?  Yeah I didn't think so.

MOBs don't aggro?  I guarantee you all this OP has not even fought 2nd star mobs and never left the vacinity of the newb area.  Mob aggro range in this game is crazy and it's even tougher when the mobs you are fighting all fight in squads of 4+ together and use demobilizers/lockdowns on you and you get torn apart if you don't play smartly.  A lot of skill goes into PvE especially when you are solo fighting things a bit tougher then you.

Travel time?  It takes nothing to travel, if you were smart you'd realize the speed of your mech is based upon how much it weighs/how much weight you put on it(eq), you can also equip mechs with speed boosters.  I was moving at 100+km/h with a Arkhe2(nub bot), long travel times my ass.

Wasted your EP?  Too bad, you should've learned all the skills before you spent any, that is your fault not the Developers. 

No respec?  Uh, you can max all of your skills if you played the game long enough(iknowiknow in like 4+ years), but the thing is most of the extensions(skills) are all like 50-300 ep for the first 1-4 lvls(some not).

Sounds to me someone dove into this game, played around the nub area for a few minutes, didn't read any instructions, got butthurt then came here to whine and trash the game to make himself feel better.

Grats on writing a long review on a game you barely even touched.

PS I hated EVE but I love this game, play for an hour a day or 10 and it's still ggfun.

• MaraGossepMaraGossep Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

True, but consdering Rome is already half-built, this game could be a lot more complete from the start

(they stole half the mechanics, if not more from EvE, and altered them a tiny bit. hence the "half-built rome" remark)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Originally posted by MaraGossep

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

True, but consdering Rome is already half-built, this game could be a lot more complete from the start

(they stole half the mechanics, if not more from EvE, and altered them a tiny bit. hence the "half-built rome" remark)

Understood, but give it time. 

If the folks at Perpetuum keep progressing their niche game as CCP Games (which took 7 years) did with theirs, you will have another hit, but it just takes time to build a name for yourself, especially in mmo's that are released today.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

This has to be a troll thread. 

However hes kind of right..... Not enough hand holding, difficulty too high, too much time required, and has not found out yet how badly hes messed his account up due to poor choice of attributes and EP spent.

Mabey its just me, but i tend to like games that "turn off" some "types" of players.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the bots move too fast and cost way too little?

See what i did there?

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Torgrim

looks like a WoW kid was trying to play with the big boys and got owned, nice QQ.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AlexisfireAlexisfire Member Posts: 52

Also why the hell would anyone endgame PvP in a game where if you get killed your 20 million NIC heavy mech goes bye bye?? Very few people most likely. Which is why this game WILL FAIL. Bank on it.

Eve online? 

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Alexisfire

Also why the hell would anyone endgame PvP in a game where if you get killed your 20 million NIC heavy mech goes bye bye?? Very few people most likely. Which is why this game WILL FAIL. Bank on it.

Eve online? 

Anyone else here mention that you can, and would be stupid not to, insure that big expensive heavy mech?

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Eve online? 

Anyone else here mention that you can, and would be stupid not to, insure that big expensive heavy mech?

mech 5 m equipment on the mech 20 m; that you can't insure

• saucefarsaucefar Member Posts: 3

I also gave it a shot since it had such good rating, but it was very dissapointing to say the least, it is def not living up to the hype/rating it has been given.

How a game like this can be rated higher than daoc i dont know, even out of its prime daoc still offers alot more than this.

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

THe Hype rate was a Scam by the Company. Thats why it got disabled...they got caught pading the hype meter!

EPIC fail on there part!

• warpriest812warpriest812 Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by GnatBug

THe Hype rate was a Scam by the Company. Thats why it got disabled...they got caught pading the hype meter!

EPIC fail on there part!

It was not a scam...

And yes you did fail:/

Originally posted by maxeborn

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Eve online? 

mech 5 m equipment on the mech 20 m; that you can't insure

Eve Online?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I also gave it a go but i sadly never had the time to get into.. i could see there was a lot of depth in the game as its very similar to eve.. but the control system and interface is a bit of a let down.. for the size of the download its not a bad looking game i guess.. just way too time consuming for me at the moment.

• Bonez005Bonez005 Member UncommonPosts: 38

I was going to try this one out until I went to the official site and checked out the three videos they have posted. The first one seemed ok, all they showed was mechs walking through a bleh enviroment shooting at eachother... the second video showed the exact same thing, and the third video showed, guess what... the same thing as the other two! 

Nice rating system, I'll be sure to ignore it from here on out.

Originally posted by Bonez005

I was going to try this one out until I went to the official site and checked out the three videos they have posted. The first one seemed ok, all they showed was mechs walking through a bleh enviroment shooting at eachother... the second video showed the exact same thing, and the third video showed, guess what... the same thing as the other two! 

Yes because people rate a game after watching videos on official sites, not by actually playing them.

Troll less bro:/

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by Bonez005

most idiotic post of 2010.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com