Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum - EVE on the ground

aikenaidanaikenaidan Member Posts: 2

For anyone that has played EVE the similarities will be massively self eveident .[in some ways that's a good thing.]

The Developers had a great Idea that unfortunately the political nonsence of the worst of the beta testers has resulted in an economics that is doomed to massive inflation from day 1. They did take care in makeing a graphically sound environment  [ no pot holes and floating objects ]. The Skill based meathod of character advancement is the same as EVE's  [different skills but the idea's the same]..   Only spend points in 1 character unless you like a very Slow progression, and specilize in 1 type of combat untill you have mastered it then deversify to your likeing.

All in All   . Perpetuum is a decent PvP game that focuses strongly on Corporation [TEAM] play..

Comments

• NiccoladoNiccolado Member Posts: 33

/Shrugs. JABFPS  (Just another bad first person shooter)

• BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Niccolado

/Shrugs. JABFPS  (Just another bad first person shooter)

FPS? First the view point of the game is 3rd person. What made the game bad? Did you fail to spend your EP's correctly? Did someone blow you up? This game is awesoe if you join the right corporation and find what niche within the game interests you.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

....Dust 514.... Incarna....will....wipe...the floor....with Perpetuum...

This is not a game.

• BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Dust will attract 13 year old kids who change the disc that sits in their XBOX360 every two months when something new comes. On top of that they don't care what happens in EVE. They care about their KDR for that one round.

Incarna? Every going to come out lol? Even if it does...big deal I can walk around and go to an internet space bar and drink some blue pixels. Woohoo.

• NiccoladoNiccolado Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Bizmark

Dust will attract 13 year old kids who change the disc that sits in their XBOX360 every two months when something new comes. On top of that they don't care what happens in EVE. They care about their KDR for that one round.

Incarna? Every going to come out lol? Even if it does...big deal I can walk around and go to an internet space bar and drink some blue pixels. Woohoo.

The Dust514 part is correct, you are however missing big time when it comes to Incarna. Have you seen the new character render tool for it? It makes almost perfect people with all personal traits and features! Now, I know this is just a very small part of it, but this part is coming in January! Then later in 2011 we are expecting the full incarna. For the first time ever players in EVE can see their character move. And they can walk around in spacestations.

Now, for those online games where this is just to be expected, theres nothing exciting about it. But eve have been a space ship game for 8 year now, and a fairly successfull one too! And now, you can soon walk around in stations! As I said, nothing particular exciting by itself maybe, but with CCP the this will make a huge foundation for the year to come! Lets speculate:

Space station utilization in home areas, trading, corporations, strategic and tactical use etc. etc. Plus maybe in the end: Combat! Or what about space ship crawls? Planetary utilization and terraforming maybe? And yes. Socializing is important too. I know after playing onlinegames for more than 10 years! You see, in the last glory days of SWG this was the only thing that hold my guild together! The social aspect! But even that have its limits, and so a few months with socializing only we waved goodbye to each other and went to each our own! Because thats what online games are about! Playing with other players!

Incarna.. There are simply so much you can build on it. Build on it to become a very detailed universal galaxy/universe simulator on planets as in space! And that is CCPs intention! And I am rather looking forward to it!

Also, critizising something before it have gone live is purely dumb!

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Copying isn't always bad as long as it works. And Perpetuum works more than just fine. This game is great.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I dont get you guys.

How many years have we been on this forums reading post and after post of people wanting a land based EvE?

We get it and everyone is crying clone?

Developers are right, players really don't know what they want.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Isnt Dust a console only game, i believe it is , sooooooo.. Dust will have 0 effect on Perpetuum.....

And Incara is more Eve , so again i dont believe folks looking for the experience they are drawing from Perpetuum will be affected by either and vice versa...

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Rockgod99

I dont get you guys.

How many years have we been on this forums reading post and after post of people wanting a land based EvE?

Agreed. With respect to modern mmo players, it's like land of the fuckin' lost. People have been salivating over a potential game like this forever.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Not everyone is included in your "everyone" category. Not everyone is included in your "players" category. Some players want one thing. Some players want other things. You lump everyone in the same group as if everyone has the same opinion. They don't. The basis for your conclusion is based on this invalid lumping of everyone into one sole group. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

In Beta I had a character called "Adam Online" and would ask the developers if they had played with my "wife."

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Yeah, Perpetuum is EVE on the ground.

So?

There was an obvious demand for such a game even before EVE launched. CCP wasn't interested in pursuing this route choosing to concentrate on spectacular cosmetics (Incarna) and an attempt at broadening the customer base for their well-estabilished IP (Dust 514). Who knows, maybe they (smartly) realized that making a ground-based spinoff would actually cut into their own playerbase rather than expanding it enough to justify the expense.

/shrug

The whole story is perfectly legit imo and Perpetuum is not a "clone" in any way. That's what game-designers and, frankly, all creative people do - you build on the stuff that was made before and change it according to your preference. That's how it is and always has been. Total originality does not exist - it's just a fiction the copywrong mafia is trying to sell us so they can put dads in prison for dressing up as Barney the Dinosaur to cheer up ther kids birthdays...

The only beef I have with "cloning" (/smirk) is when things are copied badly without actual understanding what made the original product good or what steps are needed to improve it. Good "cloning" is the basis of pretty much the whole of human culture.

If CCP tries to sue they'll get laughed out of the court, not to mention they'll look like total small-minded dorks to the gaming public at large. Imo they should take it good-naturedly and as a form of flattery. In fact they could yet cut a deal with the Perpetuum folks and maybe incorporate them or create some kind of meta-game between those two games since they are so similar...

In conclusion CCP could have made "EVE Robots" but they didn't. You cannot ban progress and you cannot copyright ideas (look it up) Lol. I cannot patent a hovercar "idea" and ban everybody from designing such a thing in the future. In addition while you can make the first car you cannot keep others from making their own versions of the 4-wheeled self-propelled concept. Dig? If Perpetuum were called "EVE Robots" or somesuch or if they took some code directly from EVE then CCP would have grounds for being upset. CCP were the first with the "hi-tech economy sandbox" concept and they had a clean head-start to broaden it into spinoffs, ahead of any competition because the groundwork was already laid..  but they didn't. And now some young turks are using the opportunity. I salute them because CCP wouldn't get down to making such a robots sandbox game (why should they) and that would be a damn shame considering how many players actually wanted such a product.

• SpoonSpoon Member UncommonPosts: 21

Some notable differances between Eve and PO are:

-If you lag out or DC in Eve, you usually warp off in and don't lose your ship, in PO you remain in game where you DC'ed at, and most likely lose your bot.

-In Eve you have a pod you can travel in, or buy cheap shuttles to move from station to station, in PO you have to buy a starter bot, which can be a little pricey to move about(this could just be an underdevopled market issue, tho).

-In Eve you have high sec, low sec and null sec space, in PO you basically go from high sec to null sec, there's nothing inbetween.

-There is more diverse PvE in Eve, in PO it is pretty bland(same can be said for item drops too).

-Eve is much more solo player friendly, PO is more group oriented, too much so, IMO

But PvP in both games is equally fun...

• WarbsWarbs Member Posts: 245

Originally posted by aikenaidan

For anyone that has played EVE the similarities will be massively self eveident .[in some ways that's a good thing.]

The Developers had a great Idea that unfortunately the political nonsence of the worst of the beta testers has resulted in an economics that is doomed to massive inflation from day 1. They did take care in makeing a graphically sound environment  [ no pot holes and floating objects ]. The Skill based meathod of character advancement is the same as EVE's  [different skills but the idea's the same]..   Only spend points in 1 character unless you like a very Slow progression, and specilize in 1 type of combat untill you have mastered it then deversify to your likeing.

All in All   . Perpetuum is a decent PvP game that focuses strongly on Corporation [TEAM] play..

Yup and with only a $10 per month cost on Perpetuum...i know which is best value for money :)

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

you forget to add that one of the games you compare ripped off the other

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Despite constant references to this game being like Eve, i dont see that at all, all i see is a kind of mechwarrior online type game, fun if you like that kind of thing, but.. personally i thought Mechwarrior was lame,  both the premise and the game itself, This isnt a land based Eve, which would be a totally different concept in itself, and not a bad one to be honest, a land based Eve might be viable, if a lot of work - Early SWG was closer to being that than Perpetuum, so, Eve on the ground, Perpetuum... it really just isnt.image

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by kadepsyson

In Beta I had a character called "Adam Online" and would ask the developers if they had played with my "wife."

That's because you're so witty

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Lots of people could care less about the "its a ripoff argument".

People didnt care that vanilla wow was an EQ ripoff.

Personally, the whole spaceship thing and the fact that i would be jumping into a game with people many years ahead of me, is enough to keep me from jumping into eve.  This game is the only EVE type game on the market that isnt EVE.

Also i hear a lot in game from eve players that the crafting is better in perpetuum, and the use of terrain and LOS add a lot more complexity and fun when playing the combat role.

So the bottom line is that perpetuum follows the EVE template, and is so far the only other game to do so.  The company that made this game is literally a handfull of people, doesnt get more indy than that,  Also they didnt do the whole hype and lie launch.  You can jump right into a relativly bug free and smooth playing game, something the big boys of mmos still cant get right for some reason.

So if you are looking to try an eve-type progression system, and want to get in on the ground floor, this is the only game for you.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Also i hear a lot in game from eve players that the crafting is better in perpetuum, and the use of terrain and LOS add a lot more complexity and fun when playing the combat role.

You should be more careful about whom you are listening to...