Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Working As Intended

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Strife, angst, rage, anger, politics and offense. All over video games.

Good stuff. Carry on.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Originally posted by erickdefores

Originally posted by elocke

Enjoy your shallow game for a few months until real EPIC feeling games arrive in the guise of SWTOR and GW2.  Until then, I'm quite happy in WoW, Lotro and Darkfall because they do EVERYTHING better than Rift.

Next gen my ass.

I have to laugh at this post. even though its childish whatever you have written i would like to assure you of one thing. SWTOR and GW2 will burn on these forums in the same way. Quote this post, print it and stick it on your wall. There will be so much moaning and crying when these two titles will come out that there won't be enough buckets in the world to hold the tears. I will come and poke you then when you will be defending these titles like a white knight and fighting the trolls with tooth and nail.

GW2 and SWTOR are not innovative in any way. They are like Rift, doing couple of things different but not breaking any barriers or trying to bring any revolution to MMO genre. For all those calling Rift linear, i would love to see there reaction when they will play SWTOR. its going to be priceless.

You may indeed be right in your pridiction Paradoxy.  But!  I have to wonder if One of the MMORPG.com staff will write a lengthy response in defeance of those games as well? 

Ofcourse they will. What people are misunderstanding here is that the writer is not just defending RIft, its just an overall statement regarding the community and their expectations. These same expectations will bring same amount of hate towards SWTOR and GW2. I can't help but chuckle when someone says 'go play your shallow X MMO, i am waiting for a real MMO like SWTOR and GW2'. They are just setting themselves up for more hurt.

I don't need to stick anything on my wall. Its quite obvious what is going to happen in 2011. ;) i am very excited about GW2 and SWTOR and i have no expectations just like i had none from RIFT. That is why i am capable of enjoying all of these games.

^^^^ the nail has been hit squarely on the head..

Ive been trying to say this about GW2,the supposed game that alot of people are looking to as thier MMO saviour,but you've conveyed it alot better than I could.Do I want GW2 and TOR to be great? of course,but having such lofty expectations towards these games will only set you up for dissappointment.

Also,Great article Bill!.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

MMOs pick you, you dont pick them. Thats half the reason why people are constantly arguing about these types of games. MMOs are less about the genre and the expectations that come with it and more about personal taste. In fact, id say that a good mmo is one that most closely meets your personal preferences. So how in the hell do you argue about intangibles that vary with the individual? In futility, thats how.... and a bag of popcorn.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Beta forums are open again so i welcome everyone to see it for themselves and they will realise how much you like to exaggerate everything. And yes i am questioning your intentions because you try to put  a negative spin on everything. And you not being in minority as a FACT..lol please. it is not a fact it is just an opinion.

Prove that I try to put a negative spin on everything! I have been consistent in the 3-4 core areas in which I find Rift lacking. Quests, Crafting, Scale and certain graphical elements. I have also been consistent in saying the rift feature is generally good and can carry the game, as well as liking the class system. So I fail to see any substance in your point. 

The beta forums is still riddled with threads in which the community complains about the same weak links. Did you really not check it out? I recommend the one calling for the game to be delayed by a year (and I agree, its a silly thing to call for), as well as the rate the beta thread. People have for the most part consistently rated quests as being bad, crafting bad, and the scale being smaller than they are used too. 

By some of the interpretative habits of some new fanboys, these people, like myself, automatically get dubbed "haters" or "anti-rift" and to be honest its getting kind of old. 

It is safe to assume that people generally would like Rift to succeed, they would generally like it to be a fun game they enjoy, but at the same can be disappointed in the area's they find weak or alienating. 

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Beta forums are open again so i welcome everyone to see it for themselves and they will realise how much you like to exaggerate everything. And yes i am questioning your intentions because you try to put  a negative spin on everything. And you not being in minority as a FACT..lol please. it is not a fact it is just an opinion.

Prove that I try to put a negative spin on everything! I have been consistent in the 3-4 core areas in which I find Rift lacking. Quests, Crafting, Scale and certain graphical elements. I have also been consistent in saying the rift feature is generally good and can carry the game, as well as liking the class system. So I fail to see any substance in your point. 

The beta forums is still riddled with threads in which the community complains about the same weak links. Did you really not check it out? I recommend the one calling for the game to be delayed by a year (and I agree, its a silly thing to call for), as well as the rate the beta thread. People have for the most part consistently rated quests as being bad, crafting bad, and the scale being smaller than they are used too. 

By some of the interpretative habits of some new fanboys, these people, like myself, automatically get dubbed "haters" or "anti-rift" and to be honest its getting kind of old. 

It is safe to assume that people generally would like Rift to succeed, they would generally like it to be a fun game they enjoy, but at the same can be disappointed in the area's they find weak or alienating. 

No one needs to prove anything, and this post is best example. Putting labels on people and calling them fanboys. This is what you do everytime you have nothing better left to say. Sad really. Its really that hard to discuss game without getting personal isn't it?

Beta forums are open and like said everyone can see for themselves.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• MacDeathMacDeath Member Posts: 21

Rift is a worthy sucsessor to WAR.  Trion marketing however, led players to expect more with that recent trailer hyping Rift as "Next Gen" and defining that to mean that it would change the face of MMOs on the first day of launch.  Maybe the marketing guys are right, but nothing the testers saw in the first 2 beta events would lead the playes to that conclusion.  IMO, Trion would be wiser to downplay the "Next Gen" hype or demonstrate some of it.

MacDeath

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by MacDeath

Rift is a worthy sucsessor to WAR.  Trion marketing however, led players to expect more with that recent trailer hyping Rift as "Next Gen" and defining that to mean that it would change the face of MMOs on the first day of launch.  Maybe the marketing guys are right, but nothing the testers saw in the first 2 beta events would lead the playes to that conclusion.  IMO, Trion would be wiser to downplay the "Next Gen" hype or demonstrate some of it.

That's certainly what got me expecting a little more from RIFT than a clone of those bill mentions.

Trion's hype machine was a tad misleading with the next gen there is absolutely nothing next gen about it even its rifts are basically just WAR's PQ's on a random spawn. It's class system is nothing new either really and is set to be a giant bag of fail on the balance front.

Coupled with all mechanics being tried and trusted its art style being a combo of wow/war/lotro and we have seen it all before its OLD gen not new gen.

Don't get me wrong RIFT seems a solid playable game art style not to my taste so won't be playing it but i wish TRION luck for the sole reason there other project "One Earth" has me very interested.

• DewolfDewolf Member Posts: 6

Rift is an great game.. can't wait for release.. it doesnt do to much to fancy, but what it does is done right and is quite fun..

BloodandAshes.com <- Oceanic based (all welcome) Rift guild

what?

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

its like this. if ya dont like rifts and only joined the beta to try the game instead of help it. then please step away. the next gen part is actually how they did the rifts and adding mobs. meaning they can do it on the fly with no patchs or anything and they can change how many at any time. Thus allowing them to sell the design to other games. but back to wat i keep seeing. Its simple if ya like the game then play the game. If ya dont like the game then stop bashing it cuz it didnt fill u ur need of an mmo. Sadly No mmo can fill any players need to 100%. what is simply boils down to is are ya having fun or not. for me i had a blast in rift and for sum they didn't. everyone has their own opinion. but dont bash on a game that is actually so far well polished. This is why most of u guys scratch ur heads when mmo's fail. those who dislike the game try and force every1 else to dislike it also just cuz they dont like it. gw2 tera n the other new mmos wont live up to all over ur standards. and dont feed me sum bullshit that it will. u all know ull QQ bout any game. and most of ya are burned out on games which left ya bitter and grumpy. So if ya have fun in the game then you found a game to enjoy for awhile. if ya dont have fun then move on till ya find one if ya ever do. No since in bashing every damn new company that tries. FYI rifts took everything from all mmo's that was good n tossed it in their game with a twist and polished it up. to me their doin good. to the next poster their doin bad. SImply put *fun factor*.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

When you're in a restaurant and you receive a steak that is too dry for your taste, you shouldn't expect it to somehow absorb the excess moisture coming from your trap while screaming and kicking at the waiter and cook.

Saying it is too dry for your taste is fine, going all ballistic over something like that isn't going to help.

When I see people screaming and kicking at the direction of Rift, I can't help but figure that they will be disappointed again and again for a long time in the future.

They expect a revolution, they will get a steady evolution. If you can't accept that you'll be disappointed continually and find yourself a bitter old gamerdude at one point, still longing for a revolution to some meaningless ideal when the genre has moved on in its own direction long ago.

That is not to say a lot of stuff in Rift doesn't need improvement, it just won't go the way those people want it to go.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by fatboy21007

its like this. if ya dont like rifts and only joined the beta to try the game instead of help it. then please step away. the next gen part is actually how they did the rifts and adding mobs. meaning they can do it on the fly with no patchs or anything and they can change how many at any time. Thus allowing them to sell the design to other games. but back to wat i keep seeing. Its simple if ya like the game then play the game. If ya dont like the game then stop bashing it cuz it didnt fill u ur need of an mmo. Sadly No mmo can fill any players need to 100%. what is simply boils down to is are ya having fun or not. for me i had a blast in rift and for sum they didn't. everyone has their own opinion. but dont bash on a game that is actually so far well polished. This is why most of u guys scratch ur heads when mmo's fail. those who dislike the game try and force every1 else to dislike it also just cuz they dont like it. gw2 tera n the other new mmos wont live up to all over ur standards. and dont feed me sum bullshit that it will. u all know ull QQ bout any game. and most of ya are burned out on games which left ya bitter and grumpy. So if ya have fun in the game then you found a game to enjoy for awhile. if ya dont have fun then move on till ya find one if ya ever do. No since in bashing every damn new company that tries. FYI rifts took everything from all mmo's that was good n tossed it in their game with a twist and polished it up. to me their doin good. to the next poster their doin bad. SImply put *fun factor*.

I had fun in both Beta Events so far and am looking forward to more.  But for me it's EASY to see why some testers felt let down. The words "Next Gen" have different meanings for many people. Those are powerful words and WILL set expectations.  I suspect that Rift IS a next gen game but we haven't seen that yet in the two beta events.  We've seen a very well polished remake of WoW and WAR but in a smaller world with fewer races and only one starter zone per faction. WoW-lite with better graphics.  That is enough for many people but will leave others wondering where the promised game is.  You can say ALL the promise was created in their minds but I think Trion marketing helped to create it.

MacDeath

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

When you're in a restaurant and you receive a steak that is too dry for your taste, you shouldn't expect it to somehow absorb the excess moisture coming from your trap while screaming and kicking at the waiter and cook.

Saying it is too dry for your taste is fine, going all ballistic over something like that isn't going to help.

When I see people screaming and kicking at the direction of Rift, I can't help but figure that they will be disappointed again and again for a long time in the future.

They expect a revolution, they will get a steady evolution. If you can't accept that you'll be disappointed continually and find yourself a bitter old gamerdude at one point, still longing for a revolution to some meaningless ideal when the genre has moved on in its own direction long ago.

That is not to say a lot of stuff in Rift doesn't need improvement, it just won't go the way those people want it to go.

If that restaurant customer THOUGHT he had ordered a steak, and the waiter deliverd fish, even if it was VERY good fish, it wasn't what the customer was expecting and that can be quite upsetting.  Now, this was a beta test, we were testers, NOT paying customers...stil it wasn't what many people had been led to expect.

MacDeath

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

Feel for you bill, but you have got an impossible job. If you slate the game the people who are looking forward to the game will find holes in your logic and call you an idiot, if you praise the game people who are not looking forward to the game or who play other games will slate you and point at problems with the game and call you an idiot for not writing more about them.

From the articles I've read here at mmorpg.com written by yourself and others I must say you have never painted the game to be anything more than it is, neither has trion so I don't understand where all these arguments of "OMG its not a 100% next gen completely new game that will break the mold like you/they said!" come from.

For what its worth I enjoy your articles :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Originally posted by Azzkicka

I'm not sure about Cyphers but I think you've got the I am right you are wrong attitude down pat.

Feel free to read his posts and compare them to mine then. Before you do that though, make sure you know the difference between subjective and objective. When I say something subjective, its usually followed by "I think" or "I observed" and usually leaves room for "It might turn out differently". Good luck finding that in his posts though. When it comes to objective statements made, I name the objective statement, so if you were curious you could look it up for yourself.

If you still think I have the "I am right" and you are wrong mentality, well then I dont know what else to tell you than, "I am right and you are wrong". Thats a joke!

At first I thought I'd make a detailed post with all the arguments why you're very opinionated and wrong in your assumptions, in this way pointlessly continuing this ad hominem debate.

But then I thought, 'it's almost Christmas'. So, I leave it be. Peace. image

Try not to attack ad hominem or offend other posters you disagree with in future though, it's not cool and also not needed in a debate.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

My problem with MMORPG.COM is not about you telling us that this is not another WoW Clone, my problem is that you get payed for shuving it up my face everytime I enter mmorpg.com in my web browser. Rift this, Rift that, give it a rest, its just another WoW clone, one article is more than enough about it, but nooo, you litter articles like you've got nothing to write about AND when people start getting mad you write more articles with excuses. Seriously...

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by ConjureOne

My problem with MMORPG.COM is not about you telling us that this is not another WoW Clone, my problem is that you get payed for shuving it up my face everytime I enter mmorpg.com in my web browser. Rift this, Rift that, give it a rest, its just another WoW clone, one article is more than enough about it, but nooo, you litter articles like you've got nothing to write about AND when people start getting mad you write more articles with excuses. Seriously...

They don't shove RIFT in your face more than GW2 or SWTOR.....

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

yes, but the only difference is those games are actually somewhat interesting to watch develop (I personally hate GW, but I can see the potential). I for one looking forward to SWTOR (BIOWARE being one of my fav devs 3> )

Originally posted by fatboy21007

This is why most of u guys scratch ur heads when mmo's fail. those who dislike the game try and force every1 else to dislike it also just cuz they dont like it. gw2 tera n the other new mmos wont live up to all over ur standards. and dont feed me sum bullshit that it will. u all know ull QQ bout any game. and most of ya are burned out on games which left ya bitter and grumpy.

Yep. It certainly doesn't apply to everyone who dislikes an MMORPG, but the unrealistic expectations, the fervent hopes that the new MMORPG whatever that one is will save them from their overall MMO boredom, putting that MMO on a pedestal projecting all those unrealistic hopes and wishes on it, and then the bitter disappointment and frustration again when this MMORPG isn't some magical saviour and they're still bored with MMO mechanics.

You see the same pattern with every new MMO game.

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Exactly my thoughts too. A lot of people are setting themselves up with unrealistic expectations, basically because they need those new MMO games to be revolutionary for them, to alleviate the allround boredom and increasing lack of enjoyment they've been feeling for MMORPG's.

While unchanging in this constant path to disappointment and bitterness, they ignore the history of MMORPG's that it's all this time been evolution and gradual progress, not revolution, that could be witnessed.

Besides that, there are MMORPG's out there that were and are very different from the mainstream norm, EVE, Tabula Rasa, The Chronicles of Spellborn, Ryzom, Vanguard, Darkfall, Fallen Earth, Perpetuum Online, Mortal Online, but these are being ignored by 95+ % of the MMO playerbase.

This way, the downward spiral will probably never be broken for most of those jaded MMO gamers desperately needing 'something different'

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The problem Bill is that it is just more of the same.  They made a beautiful world and devised a unique series of rifts to entertain us, but it is still the old EQ model of a restricted class/leveling system.   The challenge is not there.  The whines from players have made these games so easy as to be boring.

I think the same can be said about every game that will be released in the near future.  Why does every developer have to model their design after the EQ/Wow model?

The only hope I have is that CCP makes World of Darkness similar to Eve with a skill system, allowing you to design your avatar to your own tastes.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

yes, but the only difference is those games are actually somewhat interesting to watch develop (I personally hate GW, but I can see the potential). I for one looking forward to SWTOR (BIOWARE being one of my fav devs 3> )

Lol, just wait till they start offering open betas for GW2 and SWTOR  too, these forums will flood with same complaints. Especially SWTOR, such wrong and high expectations people have from this MMO.

Bite Me

But DCUO and Rift are much, much closer to release, so it stands to reason that, just as it was with other former MMO releases, there's far more news and articles to be seen about it than of an SWTOR or GW2 - which has a lull in released info and even then you see a news post  here on mmorpg.com and other sites about how ANet announced that they will announce new information in January, as if this is important news by itself.

Don't get me wrong, I like GW2 news, but that sounds more like digging up the dredges and crumbs of newsworthy info.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I think the same can be said about every game that will be released in the near future.  Why does every developer have to model their design after the EQ/Wow model?

As said, there are enough different MMORPG's out there (see my earlier list), but as good as all of these except EVE were and are getting ignored by most MMO gamers, also the majority of those clamoring the hardest for something new and different.

They ignored the MMORPG's that were significantly different in the past and present, now why would that pattern suddenly be different in the future?

As a recent example:  (I'll leave FFXIV out of it that was being trashed for being different and not having standard MMO features as an AH or easy-to-find marks above quest NPC heads) Perpetuum Online, Earthrise, those are non-fantasy, no elves or dwarves, also pretty much a non-EQ/WOW model. Do you see all those people fed up and bored with standard MMO mechanics finally happy and ready to jump into those MMORPG's?

Nope.

Not really.

Just as this didn't happen for 99% for all those other really different, non-standard MMORPG's.

Originally posted by cyphers

But DCUO and Rift are much, much closer to release, so it stands to reason that, just as it was with other former MMO releases, there's far more news and articles to be seen about it than of an SWTOR or GW2 - which has a lull in released info and even then you see a news post  here on mmorpg.com and other sites about how ANet announced that they will announce new information in January, as if this is important news by itself.

Don't get me wrong, I like GW2 news, but that sounds more like digging up the dredges and crumbs of newsworthy info.

all I'm saying Bioware is a name, probably cant go wrong with any game they make, on the other hand Trion worlds (nice name btw) going left and right shouting about next gen and paying mmorpg.com to post as much articles as possible... my choice here is obvious

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Originally posted by cyphers

all I'm saying Bioware is a name, probably cant go wrong with any game they make, on the other hand Trion worlds (nice name btw) going left and right shouting about next gen and paying mmorpg.com to post as much articles as possible... my choice here is obvious

Sorry but that makes no sense, Trion is paying MMORPG.COM but Bioware is not? lets see because you like SWTOR but not RIFT, that is the basis of your argument right? this is silly really.... i read this everytime about a game someones dislike....'they must be paying a lot of money to get good reviews'. I just wonder what will you do when SWTOR will be ripped apart too just like Rift.

Bite Me

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by MacDeath

If that restaurant customer THOUGHT he had ordered a steak, and the waiter deliverd fish, even if it was VERY good fish, it wasn't what the customer was expecting and that can be quite upsetting.  Now, this was a beta test, we were testers, NOT paying customers...stil it wasn't what many people had been led to expect.

Sorry dude, but I thought the menu was pretty clear and I've only been following this game for a month or two before beta.

There was footage of the quests and tutorial zone online from gamescom, there were write ups like the one MMORPG made that said pretty much the same.

This was not supposed to be anything that broke away from the mold dramatically, though many here made it seem like that.

Even if a waiter brings you a fish instead of a steak, it won't change if the cook requires close to five years to deliver a new dish, as is the case with MMO's.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!