Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

warning Perpetuum

UshikawaUshikawa Member Posts: 3

Hello I post here to warn people,

I enrolled in Perpetuum, and i take for 6 months.

Then I made a big error in my personal attribut ... ouch!

I ask the GM if he can do something and I had a no it like that.

Personally I find it not very cool for someone who took six months for a game that just released ...

So a little advice does not take several months to test this game because GM is not very accommodating

Good game all

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Wow, what? I'm not really sure what your talking about here aside from the part about how you messed up and expected to get a do over...

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Not really sure what you're talking about.

• UshikawaUshikawa Member Posts: 3

I just seen that we should not take several months subscription. any error is not recoverable and GM are not very understanding.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Using google translate to post in English causes all sorts of funky translation errors. I'm not really sure what happened from your post... You mis spent an attribute point, tried to get an GM (who has no power over the game) to undo your decision?

If that's correct... seems just a little biotchy.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Ushikawa

Hello I post here to warn people,

I enrolled in Perpetuum, and i take for 6 months.

Then I made a big error in my personal attribut ... ouch!

I ask the GM if he can do something and I had a no it like that.

Personally I find it not very cool for someone who took six months for a game that just released ...

So a little advice does not take several months to test this game because GM is not very accommodating

Good game all

OK I am guesing that english is not your strong point, if it is please let me know I will help get you enrolled so you can get your ged.

Second  if you waited 6 months to get help from a gm then thats on you, not the gm.

Third I would have rerolled if it took that long.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I just seen that we should not take several months subscription. any error is not recoverable and GM are not very understanding.

Oh. Okay. You got a 6 month subscription and then did bad attribute points.

Yes. Coming from other MMOs. People should be aware that many games with skill based systems, don't have respecs. PO, DF, and EVE for ex.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• UshikawaUshikawa Member Posts: 3

Yes sorry for translate,

For create my avatar i have a big error in build and i want respec my attribute. but i can't delete my accoun't for create another account because i have subscribed for 6 month... Big error! I tell a GM for shearch a solution.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Yes sorry for translate,

For create my avatar i have a big error in build and i want respec my attribute. but i can't delete my accoun't for create another account because i have subscribed for 6 month... Big error! I tell a GM for shearch a solution.

just make a new character, not like you'll be far behind, game just came out. Points are shared across your account.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by astoria

Yes sorry for translate,

just make a new character, not like you'll be far behind, game just came out. Points are shared across your account.

I think he is saying he created a character and discoverd his ATTRIBUTES were not favorable to what he wanted.  If this is the case you lose nothing by making a new character (you get 3)

Now if he spent hes starting 20K EP on garbage, he is only loses around 14 days of EP.

If he deletes a character he loses what EP he spent (less than 2 weeks worth) and an additional 2 days of EP.

6 months from now that 14-17 days worth of EP will be a drop in the hat, he will not be "behind"

Behind in this game is a very ineffective way of describing this games progress.  Ask in game, EVERYONE messed up their EP, even the EVE pros who know about this type of system.  Hell my miner account was well over 20K EP misplaced and he is a very effective miner , he just now has some skills that wont be used.

OP: if you only messed up attributes, make a new character (dont delete the old one yet).  If you spent EP and messed up the attributes, you can still start a new character and move forward with it and only be out 2 weeks of EP (granted you spent all 20K starting EP already)  YOU HAVE NOT PERMANATLY SCREWED UP YOUR ACCOUNT. ....yet

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

Hes talking about EP allocation, you get 20000 EP to spend on skills per account (not per character) 20000 EP = about 2-3 weeks worth as you get 1 EP per minute regardless if your logged in or not. At worst he made a 2 week mistake.

In regards to new players who are thinking about trying this and could potentially make the same error, either a) research your options before spending any EP or b) use the 4 day trial option for £2.95, if you mess up you can just make a brand new account with the 30 day subscription. Tbh I have no idea why people go out and pay 6 moths sub for a game thats just been released without really knowing anything about it.

Originally posted by yorkforce

Hes talking about EP allocation, you get 20000 EP to spend on skills per account (not per character) 20000 EP = about 2-3 weeks worth as you get 1 EP per minute regardless if your logged in or not. At worst he made a 2 week mistake.

In regards to new players who are thinking about trying this and could potentially make the same error, either a) research your options before spending any EP or b) use the 4 day trial option for £2.95, if you mess up you can just make a brand new account with the 30 day subscription. Tbh I have no idea why people go out and pay 6 moths sub for a game thats just been released without really knowing anything about it.

The thing is, a LOT of skills are more or less unknown.  Theres no way to tell how effective nexus modules will be yet, or how certain builds that seem logical now, will end up playing out.  If somehow people are deep into nexus modules, they are keeping very quiet about what they know, do a search and look for info on them, i know ive tried. 

Theres so much unknown about this game, since few people have even left the starter island, let alone experemented with builds over time.  Being 2 weeks down on wasted EP isnt even a huge deal, all it will amount to is 2 weeks of not being in an assault bot, using that extra time to aquire the 1m+ NIC to buy the assault bot, then losing the assault bot when your able to equip it.

I find this all to be one of the best parts of the game, most established games, you must follow a predetermined build and equipment set, its all been figured out via a parse and calculated for maximum effectivness, all other builds/sets are gimped. 

The only way i see anyone really messing up, is someone who tries to do it all right off the bat, unless they have a 15 year subscription.

Either way, new players, if you dont know what attributes you want, or what you will want to do, create a character with as high mechanica/tactical stats as possible...with politics as a secondary, dont spend ANY EP.  Do the tutorial, ask around, EP wont make anything more easy so early anyway.  Once you get a feel for the game and what you like (tutorial covers it all) you can then decide to keep your combat ready character, or roll a new one (you didnt spend EP right?) possibly with a diffrent megacorp (faction) after asking about it in game, or a role specific build.

Chosing which megacorperations and schools not only determine which class of robots (rail gun/lasers/missile) But also which extensions you start with (you buy/raise extensions with EP)

All of this wont mean shit to a new player, you cant possibly walk into the game and know which extensions do what so just try to get your attribute points high in what you want to do (they lower the EP cost per skill = less time to raise them)

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i find it kind of scary that so many people had trouble understanding what he was trying to say.  but seriously, you just found out why these types of games are for a niche crowd.  gratzimage

Originally posted by Tazlor

i find it kind of scary that so many people had trouble understanding what he was trying to say.  but seriously, you just found out why these types of games are for a niche crowd.  gratzimage

You know, i would agree with that statement as a whole.  However this game goes right after the largest "niche" game on the market: EVE

For me, ive always wanted to give EVE a solid try, due to its high learning curve and complexity, however i also hate stepping into a game thats 5 years+ old and dealing with an entrenched and clique community.

If you ever wanted to give EvE a try but were turned off by its age, this is a great game for you.

But yeah, perpetuum would qualify as niche, most mmorpg'ers will quit when they learn they wont have a maxed out, endgame character in 3 months, or 3 years for that matter.  This is effectively a game where that is not possible, which is why i like it.  Enjoy the game more, less race to the end.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Due to the large number of such requests, a limited account reset system has been in the works the past week. Hold on.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BoyC
    Due to the large number of such requests, a limited account reset system has been in the works the past week. Hold on.

Poor band aid, same as character deletion EP fee...

Bad move.

The request, albeit you percieve it as 'large' in numbers, is absolutely unreasonable. Respecs are usually available in games where you are locked in one class with with capped character development. That isn't a case of Perpetuum.

There is 'no game' that would give respecs for 1 week old toons because they want to play some other class or spec differently, you simply roll out a new character and all current progress will be lost. Same as Perpetuum.

I think you would do much better with fixing the real issue - character creation process.

• EdellEdell Member UncommonPosts: 23

I'm new to Perpetuum. I started by getting myself a 4 days trial account just to make sure the game was good. I spent the first few hours reading as many guides as possible. I even went on the official IRC to ask for some help with my char build. Once in-game I did the tutorials, read every single pieces of information, and tried to understand what kind of items and robots were available before wasting any single EP (experience). I joined a guild and asked for advices there too.

Result : I only have one char, never had to reroll it, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Sadly you can't really go the "trial & error" way in Perpetuum, you really have to learn all the theory first, otherwise you're probably going to make a mistake that will cost you a lot. But heh, I guess the devs will figure that out soon enough... when regular players will leave because there is no reason a game should punish you... even if said game is "hardcore".

Originally posted by Edell

Sadly you can't really go the "trial & error" way in Perpetuum

Sure you can...it is the same as in any other game.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Sadly you can't really go the "trial & error" way in Perpetuum

Sure you can...it is the same as in any other game.

Well yes, of course you can, but you'll probably end up like the OP with your initial 22000 EPs wasted. That's like 4€ worth of EPs.

Originally posted by EdellWell yes, of course you can, but you'll probably end up like the OP with your initial 22000 EPs wasted. That's like 4€ worth of EPs.

How is that different from rolling out a new character after you played for 2 weeks?

Real time skill system is no different. You always 'progress' with one character at a time as you would be by running quests or doing other stuff in more mainstream concept games and all progression will be lost if you re-roll.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Well yes, of course you can, but you'll probably end up like the OP with your initial 22000 EPs wasted. That's like 4€ worth of EPs.

How is that different from rolling out a new character after you played for 2 weeks?

Real time skill system is no different. You always 'progress' with a one character at a time as you would be by running quests or doing other stuff in more mainstream concept games and all progression will be lost if you re-roll.

Except when your xp pool is shared by all your toons. Every paid account start with 22000 EPs, if you waste them in a complete useless character, you sure can make a new one, but you'll have to wait 2 weeks to gain all the EPs back. And 2 weeks is a long time when you're stuck with a char with no skill to improve your bots.

Oh and deleting a char costs you 2880EP. If the OP has 3 useless chars and no remaining EPs, he can't do anything.

So again, yes, of course you can experiment without reading any guide or piece of advices... but in Perpetuum that's probably a very bad idea.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

To the educated,

Perpetuum is a sandbox game.

The game has on and offline skilling. Extension points

To the op, the official forum has a game guide you neglected to read, at your own detriment. Link here for you http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Lexicon

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Wait what? respec in the pipeline, why? You make a mistake you pay a price, where's the problem?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Except when your xp pool is shared by all your toons.

If you have 2 characters in level based game, in given time you have to options:

1) You will level 1 character only.
    2) You will be leveling both but each will be lower level.

In either case you can level 1 at a time only as I said before. Perpetuum is no different - you can spend your EP on one character or proportionally distribute the EP on both. It is exactly the same mechanics.

Whether you lose given EP or accumulated makes no difference at all.

Real time skill system is no different from leveling system in regard of topic context.

Starter EP is another poor band aid like character deletion EP fee and respecs now... Just bad solutions that aren't fixing but making less hurting only.

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Wait what? respec in the pipeline, why? You make a mistake you pay a price, where's the problem?

I disagree, Perpetuum is a complex game in regards to extensions, new players shouldnt be punished because they were learning the game, this is the best time to perform a respec and I hope its something thats is a permenant feature as in new players having a one off respec say after the first 30 days.

Lets face it, everyone who didnt start on day 1 is at a disadvantage, lets not push new players further down the ladder else you will have the same problem EVE has had for the last 2-4 years, new players being put off by superior vets who they will never catch up to.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Not exactly. A one-time, limited (as in once within the first 45 days after you created your first character) account reset will be possible. Nothing more.