Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion..maybe deserves some respect :D

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am not easily sold on new developers,heck barely sold on present ones,but Trion is showing me some things ,that really make them look like a bigtime developer.

Trion

It wil lbe a tv showed called One Step beyond and it will be a Sci-Fi show and game.So those Sci-fi fan may have something special come there way.

Endless nations looks to be a direct competitor to the RTS Starcraft/CnC genre,and seems to look good.

Rift..again looks pretty darn good and with some good tech and cool ideas.

Then they have that link i posted to their other thoughtful idea of making a game that is directly linked to an actual TV show,it really looks intriguing and sounds amazing.

I think the bottom line is ,to make their dreams a reality,they will need some serious funding,i hope they got it,because it looks like we may have a new bigtime developer to satisfy our palette.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Well 3rd person action shooter is daring , cause problem is that shoot em up players , usually move on .

Thats the risk of shoot em up mmo , players dont get commited or stay forever .

Maybe the market has changed , but shoot em up players usually go where the next hot action is .

A small group always hang around the old games , but generally the whole shoot em up genre is one mobile crowd .

They play a game for X months till max 1 year , then they move on .

Anyway Tirion already won a lot of respect from me , cause of there IT knowledge .

So we shall see what there SCI FI (syfy for the dummies) will do .

But then again its more on DCUO to see if excisting players can adapt to new action type mindset .

Instead of good old fashion numbers .

Timing is everything in MMORPG .

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Agreed.

Their Rift demo presented at few game shows months ago ran smoother than some released AAA games, which made me interested. I asked  myself, could it be one of those few rare quality-driven software companies? Then I looked at their job listing and noticed how they are looking for experienced engineers, and not code monkeys like too many companies do.

We'll see soon enough, but their future is looking good ;-)

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

If you're mostly using information technology and game design that's 4 to 7 years old (and really older), of course it's going to run smooth.

It's impressive that they've not innovated anything and made their Dolly the cloned sheep look more like a sheep than the previous clones that's came along?

The standard for MMORPG development just hit rock bottom.

Originally posted by theartist

If you're mostly using information technology and game design that's 4 to 7 years old (and really older), of course it's going to run smooth.

It's impressive that they've not innovated anything and made their Dolly the cloned sheep look more like a sheep than the previous clones that's came along?

There is a difference in speculating about IT and knowing about IT .

Yours is pure speculation how things work or should work , cause of the leakage or read about for dummy .

And knowing where the major viber optic hubs are in the world !

there is a difference in spreading 10k-20k people around a server , and putting them into the same 2 areas .

Thats a huge difference of testing or knowing stress limits upload and download limites of people

Most players dont even know how much UPLOAD means for gaming , they only think download is the crucial point .

See you got dummies and you got experts .

Originally posted by drake_hound

There is a difference in speculating about IT and knowing about IT .

Yours is pure speculation how things work or should work , cause of the leakage or read about for dummy .

And knowing where the major viber optic hubs are in the world !

there is a difference in spreading 10k-20k people around a server , and putting them into the same 2 areas .

Thats a huge difference of testing or knowing stress limits upload and download limites of people

Most players dont even know how much UPLOAD means for gaming , they only think download is the crucial point .

See you got dummies and you got experts .

Amazing analyse.

What's your point?

I could care less which technology they use, or if their games don't sound that much 'innovative'. Having a functionning game at launch is something most AAA MMORPGs don't do. Then they fail.

I also think innovation is over rated. I have the feeling when someone is looking for something 'new and innovative', he's just not realizing he's trying to move away from the genre. And how can 'innovation' be a standard for anything? Isn't that a contradiction?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Emhster

I could care less which technology they use, or if their games don't sound that much 'innovative'. Having a functionning game at launch is something most AAA MMORPGs don't do. Then they fail.

I also think innovation is over rated. I have the feeling when someone is looking for something 'new and innovative', he's just not realizing he's trying to move away from the genre. And how can 'innovation' be a standard for anything? Isn't that a contradiction?

When someone want a new and innovative game that means he or she want something that doesn't feel exactly like all other games in the same genre.

That was actually common once. Take platform games in the 80s, they had the same basic ideas but there were many that differed from the rest and not all games felt like Super Mario bros.

You have just been brainwashed because 95% of all games today are more or less another already released game with a slightly different skin.

I want a multiplayer RPG game that feels like I havn't played it since '97 when I got my first MMO (M59). So far is there 2 games that I like that are different from the rest: Biowares Neverwinter nights (no, I know it is not a MMO but it is a multiplayer RPG) and Guildwars.

That doesn't mean I think MMOs suck but they could at least try doing something different, even if the same go for most genres today. If someone actually make a fun and exiting game that means EA and Activision will release their copies within a year.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by Loke666

When someone want a new and innovative game that means he or she want something that doesn't feel exactly like all other games in the same genre.

That was actually common once. Take platform games in the 80s, they had the same basic ideas but there were many that differed from the rest and not all games felt like Super Mario bros.

You have just been brainwashed because 95% of all games today are more or less another already released game with a slightly different skin.

I want a multiplayer RPG game that feels like I havn't played it since '97 when I got my first MMO (M59). So far is there 2 games that I like that are different from the rest: Biowares Neverwinter nights (no, I know it is not a MMO but it is a multiplayer RPG) and Guildwars.

That doesn't mean I think MMOs suck but they could at least try doing something different, even if the same go for most genres today. If someone actually make a fun and exiting game that means EA and Activision will release their copies within a year.

There is always a little something 'new' in most new games. Or even expansion pack.

But what qualifies as being innovative? No one can tell, as 'Innovation' cannot be quantified. It's a completely subjective concept. You see some embracing the new features from Rift, as you see others dismissing it as not being 'innovative' enough.

And sometimes upgrading the graphic engine or telling us a different story can be good enough as a pretext for a new game. One of the big complain about WoW is the outdated graphics (even if you consider changes in Cataclysm). Books have been following the same pattern. Board games or P&P are not changing as much. Why should we expect video games to come up with something completely different (other than story and graphics) every X years? I suspect those are only artificial expectations created by several marketting campains from game publishers.

Originally posted by Emhster

Technology at one point was driven by innovation, not stagnation. 

If a new processor came out that was colored red instead of black but had the same gflops, would you buy it because it's red?

I'm really good at folding and flying paper airplanes. Crazy good, I've got the science and the engineering of it memorized to the point to where I can impress you with the precise folding and the distances in the dozens of yards one of my paper airplanes can fly. 

I can craft it well.

But it's basically the same design that's been around since the first person took an 8 x 11 sheet of paper and folded up an airplane and threw it. How long do you think people oohhh and awwww at my quality constructed paper airplane? 

If they've never seen one before, they stay impressed for awhile. If they've folded some damn fine ones themselves, oh well it was neat to see about midflight. 

That's where this game is at the moment. It's got great creases, but it's the same damn airplane.

All in all, why pat someone on the back for doing what should be expected of them? That's the low point. If your best praise can be "you copied game X better than games Y or Z" then really what can you stand on?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Then how can 2010 have failed ?

And wow with totally nothing innovative sell ?

You are just boxing yourself into a cornor .

Innovation gameplay wise can´t change for a while , cause HARDWARE and SOFTWARE is not affordable yet .

Once those new HARDWARE , and NEW OS thats not based on crappy cheap improved 4 year old OS .

Then we can talk about innovations , you are saying new state of the art CPU , my balls those are recylced CPU designs.

Micronised and mass produced and sold , they still work on the flaws , you can have a SUPER CPU if your MAINBOARD Frontside bus is not able to handle it , you still have a pile of junk .

You can have STATE of the ART graphic CARDS that overheats ? with todays new cooling technology .

A simple software error causes the graphic cards to overheat ?

Sorry when you talk about the paper plane , thats your side of the fence .

When you talk about technology , you just entered my side of the grass .

So there are 2 things , you see visual as innovations , i see technology as innovations .

When a company can host 10k players in a small 4x4 area without one person lagging , thats HUGE innovation .

When a company can create world servers , something we as MMO players sure would appreciate .

Since more different people in the world ,to find similair or interesting views ,  isn´t that  a innovation ?

Why do we all have to play runescape or UO or NWN to be able to chat and play with people across the globe .

Sure most are not interested in those kind of feature , rather stick to there hill billy village , but then why are they on the NET ?

Innovation gameplay wise can´t change for a while , cause HARDWARE and SOFTWARE is not affordable yet .

Once those new HARDWARE , and NEW OS thats not based on crappy cheap improved 4 year old OS .

Then we can talk about innovations , you are saying new state of the art CPU , my balls those are recylced CPU designs.

Micronised and mass produced and sold , they still work on the flaws , you can have a SUPER CPU if your MAINBOARD Frontside bus is not able to handle it , you still have a pile of junk .

You can have STATE of the ART graphic CARDS that overheats ? with todays new cooling technology .

So there are 2 things , you see visual as innovations , i see technology as innovations .

When a company can host 10k players in a small 4x4 area without one person lagging , thats HUGE innovation .

When a company can create world servers , something we as MMO players sure would appreciate .

Since more different people in the world ,to find similair or interesting views ,  isn´t that  a innovation ?

Why do we all have to play runescape or UO or NWN to be able to chat and play with people across the globe .

Sure most are not interested in those kind of feature , rather stick to there hill billy village , but then why are they on the NET ?

Your numbers are completely skewed and many people lagged in the beta test. Also your typing is atrocious so I doubt you're an IT professional. I worked in the field from 1999 to 2005 for SBC and the US Federal government, for anything from installing redbacks to making granny's wifi work. 

Whoever told you that bit of bull shit lied to you. And if you're claiming to have seen it yourself, I ask if you're high on crack.

Your numbers are completely skewed and many people lagged in the beta test. Also your typing is atrocious so I doubt you're an IT professional. I worked in the field from 1999 to 2005 for SBC and the US Federal government, for anything from installing redbacks to making granny's wifi work. 

Whoever told you that bit of bull shit lied to you. And if you're claiming to have seen it yourself, I ask if you're high on crack.

Offcourse my numbers are skrewed cause currently its NOT POSSIBLE to get 10k people in a 4x4 high state of the graphics room without lag .

They already made innovation in putting a whole server population in 2 areas ... to see the outcome .

I love it when you point the only flaw i left in there , as debate to argue .

I am a retired hardware engineer , so you worked in the filed as what trouble shooter ?

If you were there only to install the stuff , fix the stuff fine not worth the time to boost about it .

So if you are still able to contact the old huge schematics , and apply it todays microprocessors , oh then you should be able to read the desgins , or even beter know how little mainboards has changed .

Then you can call me high on crack . if anything else your experience in life , while yours , doesn´t mean there isn´t somebody else out there who knows more .

Offcourse my numbers are skrewed cause currently its NOT POSSIBLE to get 10k people in a 4x4 high state of the graphics room without lag .

They already made innovation in putting a whole server population in 2 areas ... to see the outcome .

I love it when you point the only flaw i left in there , as debate to argue .

I am a retired hardware engineer , so you worked in the filed as what trouble shooter ?

If you were there only to install the stuff , fix the stuff fine not worth the time to boost about it .

So if you are still able to contact the old huge schematics , and apply it todays microprocessors , oh then you should be able to read the desgins , or even beter know how little mainboards has changed .

Then you can call me high on crack . if anything else your experience in life , while yours , doesn´t mean there isn´t somebody else out there who knows more .

There's plenty who may know more.

But what you're saying isn't true. So it's a lie, or at the very least you're really misinformed.

• djcincydjcincy Member UncommonPosts: 146

Trion is an amazing company with a lot of potential.  They have one of the best development teams on the planet for mmo's and i look forward to the titles they are going to release.  I think a lot of people look at rift and are like, well that isn't inventive.  Well no its not meant to be, but by doing something that should be widely accepted by the mmo community it allows them to release titles like nations which is the first of its kind and the syfy project is a huge step in a new direction.

The last reply you made like previous i didn´t care to quote and reply , is not worth my time ,

Sorry thats called your personal opnion , nothing i can do , or will do can change that .

Neither am I interested in debating that personal opnion .

That you agree people know more fine , that you disgree that i am telling stuff thats also fine .

No point of me debating with you futher , or trying to proof anything to you .

Cause its not worth it , what do i gain by it ?

That you change your view , nope wont happen .

EDIT = this reply was meant for the artist.

• djcincydjcincy Member UncommonPosts: 146

The last reply you made like previous i didn´t care to quote and reply , is not worth my time ,

Sorry thats called your personal opnion , nothing i can do , or will do can change that .

That you agree people know more fine , that you disgree that i am telling stuff thats also fine .

Yes there is no real reason to debate people who don't know what they are talking about.  This artist guy is purely vexed because he played the rift beta and that particular title wasn't for him, so now he's an authority on everything mmo's.  

Originally posted by djcincy

Yes there is no real reason to debate people who don't know what they are talking about.  This artist guy is purely vexed because he played the rift beta and that particular title wasn't for him, so now he's an authority on everything mmo's.  

That's cool and all, but what he's saying is in direct contradiction with actual information.

There's nothing to debate when someone's completely false.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I know something. But I ain't telling. ;)

Just: there is no reason for the bashing. Or for the over-hypage either.

That's all. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Well 3rd person action shooter is daring , cause problem is that shoot em up players , usually move on .

I think that's more an issue of how those games are patched.  I stuck with Planetside 3.5 years, and TF2 a good long time, due to how they released content patches.

Great game + Keeping it fresh with new content = sure-fire way to keep player interest high (regardless of the genre..)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt

I think that's more an issue of how those games are patched.  I stuck with Planetside 3.5 years, and TF2 a good long time, due to how they released content patches.

Great game + Keeping it fresh with new content = sure-fire way to keep player interest high (regardless of the genre..)

Thats true but sadly its not true .

A genre works same way like movie industrie , too much of the same thing , burns people out .

What was hype and refreshing in the past could be today total garbage , no matter if the product is superb .

Its the way Fashion , TV and actuality works .

That some are caught up in staying behind , doesn´t mean you always search for new markets .

One of the reasons you always invest , but shoot emup crowd are good for bigger money on products , then most MMO can provide , simply put the shootemup crowd like to move on to the next game .

They dont want to be stuck playing the same over and over again for years .

Maybe cause they are currently tired of hacking and cheating , they prefer the console games at this moment.

Atleast rampant cheating doesn´t run wild there ,

A great game + keeping it fresh with new contents , doesn´t always mean success .

It means a slower decline in population ,  A GREAT LAUNCH + Great Game + Content refreshing means sure way to keep your customers .

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Wizardry

I am not easily sold on new developers,heck barely sold on present ones,but Trion is showing me some things ,that really make them look like a bigtime developer.

Trion

It wil lbe a tv showed called One Step beyond and it will be a Sci-Fi show and game.So those Sci-fi fan may have something special come there way.

Endless nations looks to be a direct competitor to the RTS Starcraft/CnC genre,and seems to look good.

Then they have that link i posted to their other thoughtful idea of making a game that is directly linked to an actual TV show,it really looks intriguing and sounds amazing.

I think the bottom line is ,to make their dreams a reality,they will need some serious funding,i hope they got it,because it looks like we may have a new bigtime developer to satisfy our palette.

Whoa...all the hate and doubt gone just like that, huh? Glad you took a step back, looked at what they were doing and made an effort to revise your initial position on Trion.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

People who are in the beta and experienced the game cannot reply to the OP's post

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Wizardry

Trion

Mate rift is awful have you played it?

Instead try dc universe online.The game is 10 times better than rift.