Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Survivor Guy: Darkfall Edition

Comments

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Lets face it, most of the people who post here are not in Darkfall's demographic.

I've been subbed since Day 1 and still love it.

Theres something about hunting mobs without using : tab 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 and knowing that someone could be about to kick your ass that makes this game fun. By far the best AI for mobs in a MMO to date.

Its not for those that prefer the drab though.

And to qualify: I dont macro, I am a very ordinary pvper, I play it for the challenging PvE and its fun.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• k0rr1bank0rr1ban Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Evasia

FAIL again this topic and you placed some very old screenshots also even a greater FAIL:(

Im convinced if you made a topic about WoW you would have placed newest screenshots.

Your whole survival(it seems was more of a copy of what you can find on internet) was carefully wriiten with whines about it then acctually write a real survival story and how you can enjoy this game.

I have again my serious doubs you have played Darkfall.

And why even mention a silly Dwarf thats famous not realy for his ingame action he mostly try kill newbees seem not worth famous status, but his FORUM WHINES AND CRYS are famous he more quit then stay subbed he whine and cry becouse he want solo kill 5 newbees instead 2 and when he get ownes by 5 newbees he come over to forum and nerdrage quit and say Darkfall sucks.

Again this trend of mmorpg.com writers about Darkfall have misrable failed to write down a nice story about a game thats worth more and deservers more then you guys give to this game credit for.

You OP and your colleges before you are not realy FFA full loot fans and that shows:(

Pls stop write this way about Darkfall you hurting it more then this small indie developer derserves.

Darkfall is great game and i can tell you that there are newbees who can tell a story thats way more positive and show how good COMMUNITY can be in helping them then your silly Dwarf loser encounter, and sneaky mention bordedom and grind sad realy sad that you guys dont even try be bit enthusastic about a small game as Darkfall is real shame:(

Have a nice day.

u mad bra?

• davidemo89davidemo89 Member UncommonPosts: 59

This game is more grindy then Lineage2! shit

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Ginger? hahaha

That guy is one sad dude...

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

" I collected more iron with the rage of an angry squirell". I LoL'd at that one. hehe

Work hard Play Harder

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

Darkfall is a good game and it looks like they are trying to fix the grinding problems. I am not a huge fan of the full loot system but I do like the pve in this game and I have met a ton of good people who help out the newbies. (I recommend The Empire as a good clan to join on the NA-1 server).

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    hahahaha ask Ginger ingame why he got banned in EvE :D:D

BestSigEver :P

• zabTHzabTH Member UncommonPosts: 35

I think everyone's being a bit critical about a pretty fun and entertaining piece of writing. I for one enjoyed this survivor guy more than many, and hopefully in the next few follow-ups, Adam will be able to post some real live-action screens of him pwning some ore veins and raining hellfire down on some noobs :)

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

FAIL again this topic and you placed some very old screenshots also even a greater FAIL:(

Im convinced if you made a topic about WoW you would have placed newest screenshots.

Your whole survival(it seems was more of a copy of what you can find on internet) was carefully wriiten with whines about it then acctually write a real survival story and how you can enjoy this game.

And why even mention a silly Dwarf thats famous not realy for his ingame action he mostly try kill newbees seem not worth famous status, but his FORUM WHINES AND CRYS are famous he more quit then stay subbed he whine and cry becouse he want solo kill 5 newbees instead 2 and when he get ownes by 5 newbees he come over to forum and nerdrage quit and say Darkfall sucks.

Again this trend of mmorpg.com writers about Darkfall have misrable failed to write down a nice story about a game thats worth more and deservers more then you guys give to this game credit for.

You OP and your colleges before you are not realy FFA full loot fans and that shows:(

Pls stop write this way about Darkfall you hurting it more then this small indie developer derserves.

Darkfall is great game and i can tell you that there are newbees who can tell a story thats way more positive and show how good COMMUNITY can be in helping them then your silly Dwarf loser encounter, and sneaky mention bordedom and grind sad realy sad that you guys dont even try be bit enthusastic about a small game as Darkfall is real shame:(

Have a nice day.

Sorry if you feel this way but honestly, you have totally misinterpreted what I have written. I am enjoying the game greatly and the 'sneaky' mentions of boredom and grind is well...true? there are elements of grind and standing around for hours clicking the left-mouse button. Is this a bad thing? For some yes, but, let's not forget that some people actually enjoy grind and at times I can count myself amongst them

The mention of Ginger is completely from my experiences, I try not to watch forums before I write these Survivor articles as it would dull the sense of naviety and adventure that I try to have when approaching the game. I have played this game for days and I am enjoying it rather than trying to soil its name. The next weeks article is a little different, but you'll have to wait for that one. 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

The worst part about Darkfall is not the grind; it's the lack of balance between fighting styles, and the horrible motion system in combat.

If they could fix these things it would become a very enjoyable game. Now, Prestige Classes might balance a bit the fighting styles (melee/archery/magic), but there has been no word from the Devs about fixing the motion system. (aka physics engine)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Fun read, continue please :D

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by SBFord

Originally posted by Aramanu2

Wrong screenshot, that is Age of Conan lol.

You guys are so picky. LOL...it was a slip of a typewriter key. It's fixed now. Sheesh. *rolls eyes*

Perhaps you would have more luck if you used a computer?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Funny how infamous GM is. Ive been killed by him as well. Another good read here. You make these games sound much more fun than they are.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Have a nice day.

So you want him to write a promo for the game and not write an article about his ingame experiences. The grind is there and we all know it. Reading this article made me realize how much fun the first few days in Darkfall were. 

If him mentioning he got ganked by another player makes someone decide to not play then it was never there style of game to begin with. 

• SS2-MaxSS2-Max Member Posts: 8

You do know the Pumpkin headed Goblins were part of the Halloween event, right? They're not the only ones with pumpkins on their heads as well.

Though I was wondering when they will be removing them...

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Zinzan

Fun read, far more fun than the reality of playing DF.

I lol'd

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Galadourn

The worst part about Darkfall is not the grind; it's the lack of balance between fighting styles, and the horrible motion system in combat.

If they could fix these things it would become a very enjoyable game. Now, Prestige Classes might balance a bit the fighting styles (melee/archery/magic), but there has been no word from the Devs about fixing the motion system. (aka physics engine)

A quick google search would have brought you to this. The animations are going to be improved dramatically.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Great read you do a really good job at writing these Story/Adventures.

Always a pleasure to read, Keep them coming!

• CeraphimCeraphim Member UncommonPosts: 21

fun read, looking forward to the next one

Ceraphim

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Good read, reminds me of my early times in UO.  Shame the developers still refuse to bite the bullet and put a skill cap in, it is one of the few things that prevent this game from being decent.

This statement cracked me up:  "By far the best AI for mobs in a MMO to date" .   I don't know what MMO's you have played, but my guess is mostly f2p games because there are games with far better AI in the p2p arena.

• theplatypustheplatypus Member Posts: 6

This article seems like a pale and fluffy imitation of Massively's choose-your-own-adventure Darkfall series that's been going for weeks now (and offers much deeper analysis as well as original screens and video).

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Originally posted by theplatypus

This article seems like a pale and fluffy imitation of Massively's choose-your-own-adventure Darkfall series that's been going for weeks now (and offers much deeper analysis as well as original screens and video).

Nice plug for Massively.

Survivor Guy has been going for quite some time here at MMORPG.com. We only recently sent him into Darkfall. The style and presentation are completely consistent with previous articles. So, yeah, not an imitation. Nice troll and promo though.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Good read, reminds me of my early times in UO.  Shame the developers still refuse to bite the bullet and put a skill cap in, it is one of the few things that prevent this game from being decent.

This statement cracked me up:  "By far the best AI for mobs in a MMO to date" .   I don't know what MMO's you have played, but my guess is mostly f2p games because there are games with far better AI in the p2p arena.

I ask sincerely, which P2P mmos have "far better" AI? I've played many of them over the years and have yet to come across anything like the AI in Darkfall. Maybe I missed out on a few good mmos that I'm not even aware of.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

After reading this article and the other one on a different site, I decided to give Darkfall a try, luckily they have a trial period going on.

I wanted to like this game, was hoping that it would have the same feel and flavor of EVE, since I like EVE, only in a different setting with a few new wrinkles. Unfortunately I couldn't get off the dime in this game. The first couple of times out to kill goblins, I struggled. They spawned faster than I could kill them or get away, causing me to sit through the interminable death timer. This happened on more than one occasion. So I took a couple of days off and came back fresh. I went to three goblin spawning areas and couldn't find a single mob. Ran around between the three points for almost thirty minutes with no spawns. Asked in chat abouty it and was told to wait another fifteen minutes. I cant say as I want to play a game that I ahve take an hour long break in waiting for begiunner quest mobs to spawn.

I understand that Darkfall is somewhat "sandboxy" but for a new player with no gold and no skills and only the two newb quests, you cant progress without the game helping you get started. Perhaps I shopuld've begged in chat for someone to hand hold me in the beginning, but if I need to do that at the start then the game isn't designed well and is not for me.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Galadourn

A quick google search would have brought you to this. The animations are going to be improved dramatically.

Good, only I wasn't talking about animations; I was talking about the physics engine, and the way it handles momentum and inertia (i.e. completely ignores these factors in issues such as turning, jumping, etc)