Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: New PvP Mini-game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom and the Age of Conan dev team have a treat for players. In an exclusive article penned just for MMORPG.com readers, devs give an inside peek at the new New PvP Mini-game “The Call of Jhebbal Sag”. The new mini-game will feature 12 v 12 battles and an improved match-making system. Don't miss our exclusive developer journal from Age of Conan developers.

Whoever dares venture into the shadows of the heathen forest known as the Pictish Wilderness has to be prepared to fight for his life! Here the Pictish god Jhebbal Sag, the Lord of Beasts, rules and he might send blessings or a terrible curse.

Read more Age of Conan: New PvP Mini-game “The Call of Jhebbal Sag”.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Each side of the opposing teams will get their mates assigned automatically depending on which class or archetypes have signed up for the game. This new improved matchmaking mechanic guarantees as balanced out groups on both sides as possible to make the battle even more demanding and intense! Also all previously available PvP mini-games benefit from this improved way to team up players.

Good news for the PvP mini games throughout, could this finally see the death of the pre-made teams? Will encourage more people to participate if they know the opposing side is going to be balanced it was a big problem before, heck I might even give it a go :)

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

It all sounds good but as low as the population is now, it takes awhile for the current minis to pop. Which makes me sad cuz AoC was my first love :(

Kat

• KvjavsKvjavs Member Posts: 16

Eh, I see this mini-game being popular for a month then dying out.  Unless they implement cross-server PVP mini games then it will be hard to fill this one after a period of time.

But then again, if they eliminate pre-mades, then perhaps all those who don't PVP due to the fact people do premades, will start doing PVP again.

But if they remove the ability for pre-mades then all those PVPers will be mad.

Double edged sword IMO.  Let's hope it's worth it.

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

ohhhhh Cross-server minis.... i like that idea! :)

too bad funcom doesnt. i dout they are going to put much into AoC now with most of them working on TSW

Kat

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I tried AoC a while ago and it took ages for PvP mini games to pop. But then again I was low level so maybe it is better for high levels *shrug*

In any case, leveling through PvE is just plain boring which makes this game pretty boring as that is the only viable way to level up.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I am happy for the new pvp content. I am open to the new pvp map/game/mechanic and i won't critisice it until i try it. But my biggest fear is also something that contradicts the name'Mini Game". 12 vs 12 is not so mini. Not for the current population of aoc servers. Might take too long to get 24 players to register on the game. Especially late nights.Should have made two options (6 vs 6 as well) imo

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Here we have the gold standard of RVR....Dark Ages of Camelot(flawed and tattered as it is)...and it's perpetually ignored.So the pvp "tweaking" goes on and on.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I fear that has been released too late. It's unfortunate for what really could have been a great game. Graphics and gameplay were both amazing. AOC unfortunately is on a slow decline and will either go FTP or cease all together next year. It's too bad it had such a bad launch because it's a very polished game right now.  Usually news posts on MMORPG have many comments, with 5 comments in the span of 5 hours, just goes to show you how many people are actually still following this game.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

everything in aoc pvp is being tweaked to match the game's population AND quality of the players. Example:

- They wisely did not implement a Guild vs Guild feature in the mini games because it would only be played by 2-3 guilds on each server. On the other hand that would be the most logical move to implement to any new pvp game but not aoc

Ever since the tragic mistake of 'Shrines of Bori' which was supposed to be an alternate way for pvpers to get some action besides minis(where premades were dominating) this game has given power to numbers. The more would win. The more that would win would also do more raids thus more epic gear. And after Bori those numerous guildsgot more epic gear and got even more pvp gear because they could dominate in that area as well. So now Funcom gives us a new game which will allow everyone to randomly win or loose depending on pure luck(by pure luck i mean the random teamates you end up with-you might be the weak link but get strong co-players or the opposite).It makes no sense to a new comer but to us old aoc players it might be solution...

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

The pvp in this game died with bori. Certain guilds got the best of the best pvp gear and were outmatched in any pvp, it's probably more gear dependant than dare I say it, WoW.

• HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Member Posts: 72

Wait!

24 people still play this game?  rofl coulda fooled me!

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I have no idea what''s going on." - Tasos Flambouras

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

I agree. Just recently cancelled my sub after this entire year playing (played about 6 months last year) and Bori ruined pvp. Unless, your in the guild the benefitted all the phat lewts that the pvp levels brought. Large guilds that dominated the Shrines really ended up with a huge advantage over the rest at lower pvp levels.

This patch alone wont be enough to get me to resub however. The lack of fun social events and actual fun things to do ruined it for me. I can only take so much faction grind and T1-T2 raids.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Maybe they should offer a f2p service. The last time I gave in and paid 15 dollors to resub, the experience was horrible. Nothing but little kids yelling back and forth to each other saying the stupidest things I've ever heard. After leaving the starting area, it was like playing a giant single player game. The game would have been worth playing if it had a large population, but who would want to stick around in an empty game to wait for other people to show up. They should probably offer like 30 day trials or something to try and boost the populations. Or a server merge and give out renames or whatever. Or just erase inactive character names.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

give this kind of thing a couple of month and it will wear off, not many folks will be playing it.  Still not enough to make me resub at this point.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

The only time I saw PvP pops happening quickly is when Godslayer came out, and they stayed pretty active for a while. Cant say how they are now since I havent played in a few months.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ohh thats easy. I play AoC. Minigames pop almost instantly :) I'm on Aqulonia. I'm also mostly playing level 80.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• syranekosyraneko Member Posts: 16

• syranekosyraneko Member Posts: 16

Will definitley try these update update out been awhile since i logged to aoc.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

AoC had it problems, it still does I don’t believe it has fixed sieges and the game is still buggy? But does it deserve a score of 7.0, hell no that’s a travesty. Aion is on here as 8.7 you tell me which is the better MMO.

AoC is the best game graphically out there unless you think being pretty is what makes good graphics. It has solid combat half way between traditional MMO and FPS style. Great skill trees, lore, quests. The list goes on so tell me how that deserves a 7.0? It is not the best MMO out there but when I think Aion got 8.7 that’s just crazy.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Scot

AoC had it problems, it still does I don’t believe it has fixed sieges and the game is still buggy? But does it deserve a score of 7.0, hell no that’s a travesty. Aion is on here as 8.7 you tell me which is the better MMO.

AoC is the best game graphically out there unless you think being pretty is what makes good graphics. It has solid combat half way between traditional MMO and FPS style. Great skill trees, lore, quests. The list goes on so tell me how that deserves a 7.0? It is not the best MMO out there but when I think Aion got 8.7 that’s just crazy.

I agree

I played Aoc at launch, and lasted almost a year. Enjoyed it but the server merge left a foul taste in my mouth.  I tried Aion for almost a year as well and when I quit I swore I'd never go back.  I went back to AoC after Aion and it felt like I was playing the greatest game in the world. Lots of quests, good storyline and generally fun gameplay.

If AoC gets a 7.0 then Aion deserves a 6.0 at best

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MetalliaMetallia Member Posts: 7

Kat is that YOU?

Originally posted by Katrisa

ohhhhh Cross-server minis.... i like that idea! :)

too bad funcom doesnt. i dout they are going to put much into AoC now with most of them working on TSW

Kat

Metallia
    www.Trollradio.com