Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments on Mortal Online (Newly discovered game)

WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Ok some final questions here... How has Starvault been with the frequency and quality of patches. Are they devoted to actually making Mortal Online be as polished and bug free AND live up to it's obvious potentials as an actual sandbox? For you who play this game what feeling do you get from the devs that they are passionate for thier game? Do they seem to be at least trying to listen to thier playerbase? Are they impressing people with thier patching efforts? How is the actual population numbers in game? How many servers are there? Any other tidbits of anything else you might think I would be interested in would certainly be welcome as well. I am definetly thinking of giving this game a try some time in the near future. I can really imagine the potential this game has but have concerns that the subscription numbers here have got to be pretty low as most MMO gamers today have not the patience or the brainpower to really want to play a game of this type. Hopefully there are enough players here providing the income to the developers to be able to really make this game shine. This is the kind of game I want to play.

Yes I am about as oldschool as they come and have been banned from mmorpg.com several times because of my disgust and dissapointment of todays online game selection as well as thier players. I actually never mean to offend anyone or come across as the ultimate troll, it's just that sometimes I get carried away by things that to most people are considered perfectly normal. I would not consider myself to be a "hardcore" gamer by no means but I demand challenge, realism, depth and absolutly detest easy mode that requires little to no though on the players part and please future developers,

STOP WITH THE CASUAL CRAPPY SINGLE PLAYER OVER THE TOP SOLO MMO's. Again this type of game(Mortal Online)  if done properly could defenitly make me a very happy camper for many years to come. Thanks again everyone for your input!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Well I can't answer those questions throroughly, but I played the OB (which was a disaster) and I still have a niggling itch to get back into the game. There were bugs, desync, and the scumbaggiest players you could imagine at the time, but the game at it's core was amazing. I ended up ragequitting when a group of douchebags kept running me off of the plot I wanted to build a house on, then destroyed my progress each time. Maybe my fault for not making allies at the time, but still, I couldn't stand the fagolas that were playing just to ruin it for others. You know how people + free trial periods of anything are. They hate the game, so they play it only with the intent of killing it for others.

I'm sure it's not like that anymore since you actually have to pay to play now.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GTwander
    Well I can't answer those questions throroughly, but I played the OB (which was a disaster) and I still have a niggling itch to get back into the game. There were bugs, desync, and the scumbaggiest players you could imagine at the time, but the game at it's core was amazing. I ended up ragequitting when a group of douchebags kept running me off of the plot I wanted to build a house on, then destroyed my progress each time. Maybe my fault for not making allies at the time, but still, I couldn't stand the fagolas that were playing just to ruin it for others. You know how people + free trial periods of anything are. They hate the game, so they play it only with the intent of killing it for others.
    I'm sure it's not like that anymore since you actually have to pay to play now.

Heh. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Yeah I read some pretty bad reviews based from the beta and early release but from what I have seen tonight (thanks to mmorpg.com fans here) I def have renewed interest....

Previously discussed thread>  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/299972/What-do-I-do.html

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Multiple rumors of a free trial coming soon.  Not sure if it will be friend codes or fully open for x days.. but we should know soon.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

I have always had a very close eye on this game. While it is not the smoothest game out and clearly has it's issues I believe it has the most potential as a contender for the best sandbox game currently out.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Multiple rumors of a free trial coming soon.  Not sure if it will be friend codes or fully open for x days.. but we should know soon.

I haven't heard any of these rumors.  Starvault's last word on the matter was that it wouldn't be coming any time soon.  Since the stage from Soon to Actual takes about 6 months (optimistically, in any MMO), and it takes about a week to work out the trial code web site bug, I'd say we're a long way off from a trial.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

I would say wait a little bit. The game has had rumors floating around that it is going to be shut down for a complete overhaul (which would mean it will never come back).

The game itself is fun if you can look past all of the bugs/exploits/desynch/political views the GM's take with certain guilds/etc/etc.

IMO I wish the game would shut down, starvault go bankrupt and sell it off to someone else who knows what the f*** they are doing. i.e. an APB situation.

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by Wrender

Ok some final questions here... How has Starvault been with the frequency and quality of patches.

Patches are pretty frequent. SV have gone for the "small but frequent" patch strategy, which meant that a new patch is released almost every two weeks (October and November saw less patching however, due to the major engine overhaul, the "Epic" patch and all the issues it brought). As for quality... well usually a new patch solves some old stuff, implements some new stuff and breaks a lot of old and new stuff.

Are they devoted to actually making Mortal Online be as polished and bug free AND live up to it's obvious potentials as an actual sandbox? For you who play this game what feeling do you get from the devs that they are passionate for thier game?

I'd say the devs are very passionate and dedicated, but they lack funds, manpower and experience with MMO design/coding. They are doing their best, but sometimes that's just not good enough. With more funds and more competent people wokring on it, MO would be an astonishing game.

Do they seem to be at least trying to listen to thier playerbase?

Yes. The devs are a very communicative bunch, frequently posting on the forums and also hosting regular player chats with the CEO on irc.

Are they impressing people with thier patching efforts?

See above.

How is the actual population numbers in game? How many servers are there?

Population is low but pretty stable it seems. There are always people in the major towns when I go there, and I have been PKed by reds in the wilds several times recently. There is only one server, located in Sweden.

Any other tidbits of anything else you might think I would be interested in would certainly be welcome as well. I am definetly thinking of giving this game a try some time in the near future. I can really imagine the potential this game has but have concerns that the subscription numbers here have got to be pretty low as most MMO gamers today have not the patience or the brainpower to really want to play a game of this type. Hopefully there are enough players here providing the income to the developers to be able to really make this game shine. This is the kind of game I want to play.

I can only agree with you there mate.

Yes I am about as oldschool as they come and have been banned from mmorpg.com several times because of my disgust and dissapointment of todays online game selection as well as thier players. I actually never mean to offend anyone or come across as the ultimate troll, it's just that sometimes I get carried away by things that to most people are considered perfectly normal. I would not consider myself to be a "hardcore" gamer by no means but I demand challenge, realism, depth and absolutly detest easy mode that requires little to no though on the players part and please future developers,

STOP WITH THE CASUAL CRAPPY SINGLE PLAYER OVER THE TOP SOLO MMO's. Again this type of game(Mortal Online)  if done properly could defenitly make me a very happy camper for many years to come. Thanks again everyone for your input!

Agreed again. MO has some awesome mechanics and excellent ideas, but atm, it's struggling with instabilities and bugs. Give it a try if you're prepared for that, and if you don't mind waiting for content to be implemented. There is no similar game on the market, and I've found that many of those enjoying MO have a hard time going back to the mainstream, themepark games. However, if you expect a bug-free, content-filled ride, wait a while.

• DerpidumDerpidum Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by Noobgren

Originally posted by Wrender

Ok some final questions here... How has Starvault been with the frequency and quality of patches.

Patches are pretty frequent. SV have gone for the "small but frequent" patch strategy, which meant that a new patch is released almost every two weeks (October and November saw less patching however, due to the major engine overhaul, the "Epic" patch and all the issues it brought). As for quality... well usually a new patch solves some old stuff, implements some new stuff and breaks a lot of old and new stuff.

Are they devoted to actually making Mortal Online be as polished and bug free AND live up to it's obvious potentials as an actual sandbox? For you who play this game what feeling do you get from the devs that they are passionate for thier game?

I'd say the devs are very passionate and dedicated, but they lack funds, manpower and experience with MMO design/coding. They are doing their best, but sometimes that's just not good enough. With more funds and more competent people wokring on it, MO would be an astonishing game.

Do they seem to be at least trying to listen to thier playerbase?

Yes. The devs are a very communicative bunch, frequently posting on the forums and also hosting regular player chats with the CEO on irc.

Are they impressing people with thier patching efforts?

See above.

How is the actual population numbers in game? How many servers are there?

Population is low but pretty stable it seems. There are always people in the major towns when I go there, and I have been PKed by reds in the wilds several times recently. There is only one server, located in Sweden.

Any other tidbits of anything else you might think I would be interested in would certainly be welcome as well. I am definetly thinking of giving this game a try some time in the near future. I can really imagine the potential this game has but have concerns that the subscription numbers here have got to be pretty low as most MMO gamers today have not the patience or the brainpower to really want to play a game of this type. Hopefully there are enough players here providing the income to the developers to be able to really make this game shine. This is the kind of game I want to play.

I can only agree with you there mate.

Agreed again. MO has some awesome mechanics and excellent ideas, but atm, it's struggling with instabilities and bugs. Give it a try if you're prepared for that, and if you don't mind waiting for content to be implemented. There is no similar game on the market, and I've found that many of those enjoying MO have a hard time going back to the mainstream, themepark games. However, if you expect a bug-free, content-filled ride, wait a while.

As someone who plays from beta block A up to this day I can only agree with this. Oh, and best thing about MO is, there is NO other mmo that gives you that kind of emotions. Common chat with some random person can bring more joy then spending week on global chat channel in some X mmo wow clone. PvP always gives adrenaline rush, hell going from X to Y can give you that if you are transporting expensive goods.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by rmason

I would say wait a little bit. The game has had rumors floating around that it is going to be shut down for a complete overhaul (which would mean it will never come back).

The game itself is fun if you can look past all of the bugs/exploits/desynch/political views the GM's take with certain guilds/etc/etc.

IMO I wish the game would shut down, starvault go bankrupt and sell it off to someone else who knows what the f*** they are doing. i.e. an APB situation.

image  Wait until Starvaults Q4 report

I win!!! LOL@U

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Originally posted by rmason

image  Wait until Starvaults Q4 report

Who reads financial reports voluntarily?  What's the fun of being spiteful if you need to do homework?

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Who reads financial reports voluntarily?  What's the fun of being spiteful if you need to do homework?

This is funny.

I read through some of these threads just for the little gems of wit like this. Thank you.