Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Biggest Disappointment

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's round of voting in the 2010 Reader's Choice awards here at MMORPG.com, we invite you to check out this year's nominees for the Biggest Disappointment of the year. These are the games that excited us and made us desperate for the game to be released. Then that same game caused sleepless nights that made us wish we'd never cared. Check out the list, pick your "favorite" disappointment and let us know why you picked it in the comments below.

This year, our categories are: Game of the Year, New Game of the Year, Most Innovative, Most Improved, Best F2P, Favorite Company, Biggest News Story, Most Anticipated, and the newest, and most dubious, addition to our prizes, Biggest Disappointment.

Read more 2010 Awards: Biggest Disappointment.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

As much as I think Mortal Online was the worst game of the year... I still think I have to go with STO as my biggest dissapointment.  I had such high hopes...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Final Fantasy. I should have seen it coming with their latest console game, but I held out for this game. This game that should of kept me playing MMOs for a while longer. Belly flop. I'm STILL holding out for this game to get better.

Will it ever happen?

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

ffxiv is by far the biggest flop

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

2010 in general wa bad, but NOTHING was worse than Final Fantasy.  STO was even bearable in comparison.  APB also had its fun moments.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Well that wasn't exactly hard.

Number 1: Star Trek Online !

Number 2: Final Fantasy 14 !

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I voted 2010 in general. was looking forward to STO, FFXIV, and ABP. all were bust. Good thing I didn't buy any of them and instead waited to hear from the players.

• TomWoodrowTomWoodrow Member Posts: 49

Can you add LOTRO to the list it will win by far over these other games.

join us on seastone (btw no cash shop to run your bank account dry)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?83070-Lotro-Players&s=d555bfc9e2f4d22851c5359cb80e5b27

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Fluxii

2010 in general wa bad, but NOTHING was worse than Final Fantasy.  STO was even bearable in comparison.  APB also had its fun moments.

Yes, but you forget that Star Trek is one of the most popular IP's on the entire planet (next to Star Wars and Tolkien's Middle Earth).

That weights extra heavy on the total dissapointment the game was.

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

2010 in general was bad. 2011 Looks better and hopefully it will be.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Agree 2010 was a bust year for mmo's, nothing really stood out or grabbed me. Many disappointments came about in some big name mmo's and not really a big fan of F2P games.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Yes, 2010 sucked choad but it's funner pinning it on one "game". And that steaming pile of flop is named Mortal Online. I'm still salty I gave them money. Oh boy, the things I could do with that fifty bones instead...

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

I was about to write a troll-post saying "Where can I vote 'all of the above'?".

Then I noticed there's really an option for that. This poll certainly doesn't disappoint!

Hype train -> Reality

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I thought FFXIV was by far the biggest disappointment.

At least STO and APB had some fun qualities.  FFXIV didn't even have that.

Mortal Online is actually a good game.  Buggy, yes.  A bit short on sadnbox content as well.  But it does provide a different play experience from most of the other MMOs these days.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I had to go with STO as well. The whole year was pretty disappointing but this one caps it off nicely. No other game came even close to disappointing the amount of fans this one did. The Star Trek IP gave them so much to work with and the best they could do was an overly instanced dumbed down spacebar mashin' shooter. This game was just CO with a shiney Star Trek paint job (Another one of their failed games).

"Mr. Sulu, more spacebar!!! MORE SPACEBAR!!!" lol

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

"Star Trek Online

Gene Roddenberry created a phenomenon in 1966. Scores of devoted fans, known as Trekkers, roam the globe speaking the gospel of Kirk, Picard... and the others, I suppose. So why did Star Trek Online underperform? Maybe it was trying to do too much with epic space battles and land elements. Maybe it didn't pull either element off as well as it should have."

Or maybe, just MAYBE, it was the fact that Cryptic decided to make an MMO of one of the most loved IPs in only 18 months and price it higher than any other MMO released... Makes no sense.

I had alot more fun in the short time playing Mortal than I did STO. There was nothing positive about that game except that the first 10 minutes of space combat was pretty fun.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

2010 in general indeed. All of this years new games were just "okay" for me, but none of them were good enough to fork out chash for. Vindictus was for me the best this year had to offer. And while I see myself playing it for some time, just not all the time, still don't see myself forking out any cash for it any time soon either.

Too bad RIFT isn't out yet, as to me, it too deserves to be on this list, as it is nothing more then a blantant WoW & Warhammer clone. I'll probably be voting for it on this list next year...

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Every time I think about Sto I start to well up............/sob........I was...../wiping tear......So excited.......I mean, what kind of a mental do you have to be to mess up Star Trek? All I want to say to cryptic here is "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

So in the end I voted for A.P.B.........Just kidding, it was Star Trek online........ Cryptic you bunch of Fu%&ing Idiots!:)

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

The whole year was a disappointment; all of the games on the lsit failed miserably. STO was a joke, in the normal vein of Craptic. APB after the initial hype that disappeared closer to release was a major brain fart. FF14 couldn't have released any worse. LOTRO suffered for a long awaited expansion. WOW took too long to release such a limited expansion; reskinning zones and adding 5 levels shouldn't have taken two years. EVE suffered through a lot of missteps with their sovereignty mechanics. Not sure how I could vote for anything other than the entire year being a dissapointment.

Especially with 2011 looking very promising. Rift, Incarna, SWTOR, Tera (although I am not looking forward to this), FE's combat/PVP upgrades, STO mnaking improvements, Darkfall amking improvements and so much more.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Tempted as I was to go for all of 2010, I think Final Fantasy XIV took the cake - as far as SE being warned and warned and warned again through beta, and then having to eat crow with constant free time added since launch. Very embarrassing for a AAA company.

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

FFXIV , was hoping for so much more...

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I think STO was the biggest.  It was not bad enough that the game launched with a lack of content and the worst crafting system but then Cryptic had to be greedy dorks and charge you for the box, then a premium monthly sub and then another ten bucks to fly the ship you wanted.  Cryptic slapped fans in the face by offering more game time to new players and making the exclusive items that many people worked hard for turn up in the c-store a short time later.  I understand a lot of these games listed are bad, but for the total package in suckage, STO takes the cake

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

FFXIV.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43

A total dissapointment in MMORPG gaming for 2010.  Developers need to get back to the their roots & start designing games that are magical, creative, innovative, challenging, forward thinking & not a carbon copy of whatever is most popular.   We need risk takers and not followers that are passionate about what they are working on and not simply the status quo. 

Developers need to focus less on how much money they can make, instead; create the best product, in turn they would make more money with a loyal fan base.  As it stands now,  developers are creating half-ass games & it shows. 

I'm hopeful for 2011 with GW2, Tera Online, Rift, or SWTOR.  

Wishful thinking........DAOC 2 announcement in the next yr or  two. =)

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

STO by far.  FFXIV at least different from your average MMO's.  STO was just so bad, shallow and full of dejavu.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Isn't Mortal Online at least working?

I have no interest in the game; but doesn't it have content, does not have a cash shop with a sub, and is still running?

That's loaded. I think Vindictus could have been on here as well if MO is.