Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum: A First Look

124»

Comments

• seanseanseansean Member Posts: 119

I played in the Beta, and I have to agree, PO is fun. It lags on my laptop, though, so holding off until I get a better lappy or I get a better connection(playing on wifi). well worth 10 bucks for sure

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Mahlo

I'm playing this. Bought two accounts in fact, one for indy one for combat. The only reason I don't play Eve is because I wasn't there early enough. I can't see why any new player would play Eve now, unless you're really into spaceships of course. Perpetuum is the new sandbox SF game to play, no doubt. Get in there early!

You'd have to understand why you don't have to play from the start of EVE to still prosper and have fun in a game like EVE.  But that's been discussed before, glad to see that you like PO, but lets just hope they've not made the classic mistake of designing their game to be regressive against late joiners or they'll doom themselves to failure.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GigglebottleGigglebottle Member Posts: 40

I think I will indeed drop my 10 dollars on this game very soon.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Gigglebottle

I think I will indeed drop my 10 dollars on this game very soon.

Its always best to try games for yourself. Going on others experiences can be mis leading. But be aware that while the game is fun, currently they are having connection issues because of the servers location in Hungry.  During some parts of the day.night ping spikes over 3000 plus and repeated, random disconnects are all too common.  I'm hoping that they get that sorted out soon.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LiodaLioda Member Posts: 3

I put an eye on this game's trial, and was really impressed. It's Eve on earth.

For me, It's the game I was looking for to replace Eve.

Really worth to make a try, the world is like Eve in 2003 ! All has to be conquered !

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

I tried Perpetuum during the beta. I'm a 4 year veteran of Eve so the controls and concepts were easy to learn (it's such a ripoff of Eve I'm almost wondering if CCP could sue them for copyright infringement, but that's another matter). The one thing that really pissed me off about it though was the absolutely ridiculous lag it had, even on low graphics settings. My computer can handle Eve on high graphics settings rather easily (barring major fleet fights); with this thing, even on low settings it was so sluggish as to be barely playable. You'd probably barely be able to play it without the game crashing in a 20 vs 20 fight.

It is still fun, and for those who love walker mechs they would enjoy this game...but Eve still grinds it into the dirt.

Where's the any key?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I tried Perpetuum during the beta. I'm a 4 year veteran of Eve so the controls and concepts were easy to learn (it's such a ripoff of Eve I'm almost wondering if CCP could sue them for copyright infringement, but that's another matter). The one thing that really pissed me off about it though was the absolutely ridiculous lag it had, even on low graphics settings. My computer can handle Eve on high graphics settings rather easily (barring major fleet fights); with this thing, even on low settings it was so sluggish as to be barely playable. You'd probably barely be able to play it without the game crashing in a 20 vs 20 fight.

It is still fun, and for those who love walker mechs they would enjoy this game...but Eve still grinds it into the dirt.

Well, I spent almost 6 years in EVE myself.  But with the advent of Incursions, I've walked away from a 42 million SP account and all of my fleets and mods, and I doubt I'll be going back.  Why? Because CCP has clearly lost its way, over the years.  Instead of a focus on making the game better, they have let their upper level executives egos get in the way. 

The monocle incident (and all that went with it) was only the latest episode. I personally didn't care about their cash shop, but its just another symptom of how badly CCP has lost their way. I suspect (at least part of it) is the influence of their Chinese partners. Very few companies can resist, when they get a good idea of the Sweet Cash Shop Profits that are to be had in Asia.

Most people have little idea of the HUGE amounts of money to be had over there.  That reality is one of the drivers for the push toward cash shops in the western markets.  

As far as Perpetuum, I've not had any real problems in terms of FPS or crashes. The client has been quite stable on my system.  Its a good solid game for its type. My only real complaint is that of hosting the game in eastern Europe. 

Over all, I've quite enjoyed the game, and look forward to seeing what the Dev's come up with next. 

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."