Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Biggest News Story

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's round of voting in the 2010 Reader's Choice awards here at MMORPG.com, we invite you to check out this year's biggest new stories and select the one that you believe created the most stir in 2010.

This year, our categories are: Game of the Year, New Game of the Year, Most Innovative, Most Improved, Best F2P, Favorite Company, Biggest News Story, Most Anticipated, and the newest, and most dubious, addition to our prizes, Biggest Disappointment.

Read more and vote for the 2010 Awards: Biggest News Story.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I voted the Entropia Universe one.  I mean geez...Thats a LOT of money

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Voted for APB as not many games ever get a second chance at redemption.

• nezbelnezbel Member UncommonPosts: 47

Rise of Freemium is interesting but not entirely unthinkable with the advent of more casual games and the failing MMO market looking for new business models.

APB getting closed so quickly is more surprising than someone picking it up, I mean its a completed game with a very advanced customization system despite its other flaws.

God's & Heroe's coming back is more surprising, I mean how many half finished games get another chance after being iced for so long?

I'd say Viturual Property is the winner though. I mean is someone told you before that they were gonna make $335,000 selling something they constructed themselves on a C-list MMO, what would you say?

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

My vote goes to Rise of Freemium.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by aithieel

My vote goes to Rise of Freemium.

Mine as well.

Reason being is that the "second chances" of APB and Gods and Heroes is notable but will soon be forgotten. The large amount for a virtual property is compelling but it's not like we haven't seen other peoople/organizations buy virtual property before.

I think the Rise of Freemium is notable because it's a big change in how these games earn revenue and will not only affect content but how these games are developed.

It's a paradigm shift that seems to resonate for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Had to be selling pixels for 1/3 of a million dollars! Just WOW! How can anything in the wirtual world and as transitory as items in an online game be worth that kind of money; $335,000 and $635,00 in total is just plain crazy

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

The single news item there that's spawned the most articles and columns and has been endlessly and passionately debated is, by a wide and clear margine, the rise of freemium. It gets my vote.

Always read the small print.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by dragonbrand

Had to be selling pixels for 1/3 of a million dollars! Just WOW! How can anything in the wirtual world and as transitory as items in an online game be worth that kind of money; $335,000 and $635,00 in total is just plain crazy

Because you are looking at it in the wrong light.

How can a photograph cost a certain amount of money? Or how can a concert cost so much money. I mean, it's just sound waves.

What is being charge/paid for is the perceived value of the experience that "item" will bring.

It is a real item. We can see it therefore it is tangible to one of our senses. If people are willing to pay for access to that piece of virtual property (for whatever that person uses it for) then that is actual revenue.

Just because it is made of light from a computer monitor doesn't make it any less real.

If you go to a lecture you are taking away an experience. If you read a paper you are taking away info even though it's just ink on a page.

If a person can make money on a virtual property then it is a sound investment. Especially as there are some investements that are even less tangible to my limited understanding such as "futures". I mean wow.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I don't really see how WAR went F2P as claimed in the article, but the other ones going into that direction was certainly big news.

The crown still goes to the extreme quick closure and subsequent adoption of APB though imo.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

I gotta put my vote in for Gods&Heroes, I've waiting for that game since the day I saw the preview in Game Informer

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I have to go with APB "The Death and Resurrection", since it now gives me an opprtunity to try the game, at no risk of disappointment (since it'll be F2P).

• OzzallosOzzallos Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 35

Alpha Counter:

Six Years Worth of Game Time Destroyed in EVE Pirate Raid.

Which is why I voted it for most innovative as well :)

• TorginTorgin Member Posts: 82

That whole "None of the Above" option still isn't available. Seriously. Put it in and see what happens. :)

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by Elidien

Without getting into specfics, I was thinking that the poor performance and sales of some big name games/IP's might be the top story this year.

I'll second this, STO anyone?

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

APB resurrection. That's was a second chance to a game that never thought to be heard of again.

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34

just a thought but isn't the resurrection of apb also due to the freeium craze. I'm jsut saying :)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

APB: Death and Resurrection.

Although I think this would be more accurate as simply APB's Sudden Death

Yes, it was shite.  Pretty much anyone who's played it or read about it could tell you that.  But it's such a rare thing for a game to suffer from such staggeringly poor management as to not be able to limp along for even a year before folding up like a cheap lawn chair.  I was suprised and I played it (so I know first-hand how bad it was).  Nothing else on that list suprised me.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Actually, the BIGGEST story of 2010 is that after 15 LONG years Duke Nuke'em Forever may no longer be vaporware. ^^  It was actually demo'ed in playable form at PAX 2010.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Games dying and coming back is nothing new. P2P games becoming F2P isn't that new either, and it's more of an indefinite trial than the actual game.

Therefore, the $335,000 virtual property gets my vote. Whoever bought that thing must've been a millionaire with too much time to spare.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I voted for Gods and Heroes for one simple reason. It was voted best game at show at a certain event a couple years back and got cancelled soon after. Then out of nowhere some unnamed company who made a Iphone/Andriod app picks it up and re-develops it. Unusual to say the least but nevertheless surprising.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Only things that deserve to be voted on is gods & heroes, and APB. 

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I think the Rise of Freemium is the biggest news story just because it's the only one to really have an impact on MMO gaming as whole.  It's probably going to have some long term effects on all of us if the trend keeps up.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Rise of Freemium seems like a sort of sea change for the market, developers and players and might allow more mmos to compete in different ways and different game designs.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The saga of RealID in WoW would have been my choice.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

I went with the Rise of Freemium, as that seems to be something that will affect the most  players for the longest time, of all the things listed.