Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Innovative

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's round of voting in the 2010 Reader's Choice awards here at MMORPG.com, we invite you to check out this year's crop of innovative titles abd select your favorite game that stretched the bounds of the MMO universe.

This year, our categories are: Game of the Year, New Game of the Year, Most Innovative, Most Improved, Best F2P, Favorite Company, Biggest News Story, Most Anticipated, and the newest, and most dubious, addition to our prizes, Biggest Disappointment.

Read more 2010 Awards: Most Innovative.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Interesting list, innovation is a tricky thing to pin down. Either way I think we all know which one is going to sweep this. However I voted WoW.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43

Where is my " None of the Above " option?

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

On that list.. Pocket Legends is the most innovative for being a phone MO style game. GA should hardly be on there, since Planetside was the innovative MMOFPS, GA just made into a small area battleground game, ie a smaller, less innovative game.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I haven't tried all the games on the list, so I can't give an honest opinion.

From the sound of it, I'd say Vindictus could get the prize.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Hrm. tough year for innovation. I don't get Global Agenda being that innovative. Sure I played it and liked it, but I'd already played two MMOFPSs Darkfall and Fallen Earth.

Cryptic already has better character creators than EVE. Though it does appear to rock (haven't resubbed don't know).

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• ashahellashahell Member UncommonPosts: 1

To be fair, Turbine turned Dereth (Asheron's Calls world) around between AC and AC2 so that detracts some points off Blizzard in my book (even tho they arguably do it in the same game).

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

for the most innovative its Global Agenda for me , cause its finally a MMOFPS , doesn´t mean it will do well , but atleast there is innovations .

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Vindictus:  Would be more innovative if it wasn't so instanced.

GA: Done before... a few times.

Eve Online:  Not really better than SWGs or a few other really good ones, but much easier to use as it has a more tactical feel to it then just sliders. 

WoW:  I like it but I wouldn't call it innovative, if it was more interactive sure.

Pocket Legends:  Uhh... FF... whatever number it is, is on three different platforms. 

If I had to pick one I would say eve, but I would probably vote for none of the above if it was an option. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by drake_hound

for the most innovative its Global Agenda for me , cause its finally a MMOFPS , doesn´t mean it will do well , but atleast there is innovations .

Planetside?

Anyway, I'd probably give my vote for Vindictus for the combat and the use of the environment in that combat.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

WoW and innovation mentioned in the same sentence ? Can I have what you guys are smoking ? Pocket Legends hands down. :)

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by arenasb

Originally posted by drake_hound

Planetside?

Anyway, I'd probably give my vote for Vindictus for the combat and the use of the environment in that combat.

Is it a innovation to the MMOFPS , well it does in my eyes .

Is it fun to play thats another story :( sigh ... like said planetside was when battlefields was there , and that was for free.

So they updated some feature to make it more mmorpgs like . 

anyway we shall see how well MMOFFPS does , its a indication of titan if they maintain FPS or go back to traditional numbers game .

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

EVE online character creator is for me simply the best. Have not seen a MMO that is released come close to this one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Strangely enough, I went with WOW on this one, not many successful games would tear down and rebuild their old worlds and offer them up as a new experience.

I like the idea, even if I won't be playing it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I gave it to EVE. the whole scope of the game is innovative.

Just keeping everyone playing in one universe is innovative. Having a full time economist is innovative.

Regardless of what some people think of them, they seem to be a very good company that loves their game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Guys Vindictus, Global agenda and pocket legends aren't mmos. Their freaking diablo type lobby games. If we're going to count every co-rpg game as a mmo then I want Borderlands on that list. My pick is Eve... Which is pathetic since it's seven years old.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I picked WoW because it changed a game I had grown bored of due to having played it all into a fresh tour de force of FUN and streamline story events.  I've NEVER had an MMO suck me in, lose me 5 years later and then suck me right back in with a world changing expansion. 

To me that's Innovation!  Also, playing other games this week after experiencing the shattering...holy crap every other MMO feels like it is being left behind , even the newer ones.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

I voted for WOW, because it might start a new trend. How many MMOS you know which destroy their own world to start all over again? don't be surprised if you see same thing happening in other MMOs in a year or so.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Vindictus all the way for this one; 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

World Of Warcraft for trying something new and different. isn't that what innovation is all about? this 'whole shattering your own world and rebuild it' is genius idea for a MMO.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

WoW and innovation mentioned in the same sentence ? Can I have what you guys are smoking ? Pocket Legends hands down. :)

Don't let your bias towards WOW , cloud your judgement.

Bite Me

How is revamping quest zones innovative? All mmos do that. The only difference is Blizzard revamped all the original zones and waited to release them in one expansion instead of overtime like other games.

Originally posted by Rockgod99

How is revamping quest zones innovative? All mmos do that. The only difference is Blizzard revamped all the original zones and waited to release them in one expansion instead of overtime like other games.

It is not what they did , it is how they did it. Go ahead name any MMO which destroyed and rebuild its own world at this scale? i will be waiting......

Bite Me

Originally posted by Nikkita

It is not what they did , it is how they did it. Go ahead name any MMO which destroyed and rebuild its own world at this scale? i will be waiting......

It's still only a quest hub revamp. Adding a world destruction cinematic intro to it doesn't change the fact that it's just a revamp. Revamps have been done since the early 2000's. Also the main mechanic in the revamp (phasing) is almost three years old now.

Originally posted by Nikkita

It's still only a quest hub revamp. Adding a world destruction cinematic intro to it doesn't change the fact that it's just a revamp. Revamps have been done since the early 2000's. Also the main mechanic in the revamp (phasing) is almost three years old now.

You still haven't named one MMO which did this. And no its not just a simple revamp. Its a new way of revamping and that is what is innovation, doing something new.

Innovation-

the introduction of something new

a new idea, method, or device

So Blizzard  introduced a new idea, a method or a device of revamping which has existed for years. Like it or not but you can't twist the meaning of word innovation to suit your argument.

Bite Me

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I voted Eve even though I'm not a fan of the game.  Anytime a 7 year old game can add something that has many people talking and gets renewed interest in their game, then that's pretty darn innovative. 

I just don't think WoW is that innovative.  They are not the first to "recreate a "zone" or area, so I just don't find it that innovative.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by junzo316

I voted Eve even though I'm not a fan of the game.  Anytime a 7 year old game can add something that has many people talking and gets renewed interest in their game, then that's pretty darn innovative. 

I just don't think WoW is that innovative.  They are not the first to "recreate a "zone" or area, so I just don't find it that innovative.

And yet no one would name these MMOS which shattered their own world and rebuild it in order to revamp the quests and storyline.  Atleast one name?

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible