Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with this picture?

There is a major contradiction between 2 factors on this website.

For once, WoW is by a large margin the most popular of the games.

However, you can't find it in the top voted games, as there are others who got better grades/ratings.

Could it be that those people checking on WoW don't play it or the playerbase doesn't care much about rating this game to begin with?

I can't think of any other explanation image

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Why do people give a crap about the ratings system on this website? There could be a million reasons why it's all messed up. You can't explain it without being all knowing.  

EDIT: Oh an also, there can be nothing contradicting about the results in a ranking system that is not meant to be accruate or scientific in any way. 

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I think its not rated as high as other games because honestly its not as good as other games, the only reason its so popular is because of its ease to pick up, and easy to play, which are not a major factor in the ratings.  For example LOTRO witch has more features, better graphics, etc, but may not be as easy to pick up or get into.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Not seeing the contradiction. This site is notorious for hating WoW. The contradictory thing, imo, is how people think LOTRO is somehow different than WoW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most of the people here have played many MMOs and are generally interested about the genre.

That does not mean most of Wows players have played many as well. For all we know they might never go to online forums either, or just to Wows official forum.

Most people listens to pop music but if you go to a music site specializing in gothic or metal you would see very different bands voted as best.

Their are many variables here, this site have many older members that started with EQ, UO or M59 and few of them plays wow, at least a lot fewer than people who started with Wow.

And more than 2/3 of Wows players today are Chinese and then there are the Koreans as well. This site have mainly western members and I am not so sure Wow have more than half of the western MMO players. 

And many players who don't play Wow dislike it while many Wow players don't have anything against or have no knowledge of the other MMOs.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

What WOW accels in are content, ease of use and polish.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by brostyn

Not seeing the contradiction. This site is notorious for hating WoW. The contradictory thing, imo, is how people think LOTRO is somehow different than WoW.

LOTRO is somehow different from Wow.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Loke666

I'm sure.

• DansoloDansolo Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by bronecar

There is a major contradiction between 2 factors on this website.

For once, WoW is by a large margin the most popular of the games.

However, you can't find it in the top voted games, as there are others who got better grades/ratings.

Could it be that those people checking on WoW don't play it or the playerbase doesn't care much about rating this game to begin with?

ugh nevermind

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Just because something is the most popular does not mean it's going to be the best of the best and receive the best "scores."

Additionally, these are graded by regular users. There's always a lot of users that rate something the absolute lowest possible when they can, and the ones that vote something the highest possible whenever they can, just because they feel like it or because they're blinded by whatever emotion or attachment (to a game) that they may have; they don't base these off of any of the actual game's merits. So you also have to factor in how many votes each game has had.

Eh, people need to stop taking user-controlled ratings so seriously.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

McDonalds and Burger King are a heck of a lot more popular than The White Barn Inn Restaurant but neither is a 5 star restaurant. Popularity and ratings are two completely different things. They are NOT equal in any way.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Sux to be joo Fanboi!

Ahem... now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Bren will you have my babies?image

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

Originally posted by Illius

Sux to be joo Fanboi!

Ahem... now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Bren will you have my babies?image

LOL... I'll have to get back to you on that one. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Brenelael

McDonalds and Burger King are a heck of a lot more popular than The White Barn Inn Restaurant but neither is a 5 star restaurant. Popularity and ratings are two completely different things. They are NOT equal in any way.

Bren

QFT !

That pretty much nails it.

It also matches what I heard from people who played WoW. Most players there have no clue about singleplayer fantasy games such as Baldurs Gate, or other MMOs.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Bren

But in the MMO industry, Macdonalds and Burger King have opened two restaurants next to each other, selling the same menu for the same price, and one is full of customers and the other is empty.

Sometimes popularity does mean something.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This site is dominated by people who are burned out on what the current mmo market has to offer.  It is human nature to be overly critical over industry leaders.  Some people just don't like the game, other blame wow for somehow ruining their mmo and still others have grow bitter after repeated returns to wow after whatever new release fails to devlier on its promises.  There really is a long list of reasons, but for the most part wow is old and people around these parts are pretty desperate for something new.  Wow doesn't represent what most on this website want in an mmo anymore. 

Just looking at the hype/ratings shows the top 35 games are dominated by unreleased mmos.  There are even a few games that died in development or failed on their commercial releases that rate higher than any released mmo.

For example: All Points Bulletin is the 9th highest rated game on the site and it closed down to nearly universal poor reviews.

This site really is its own little subset of the market.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Loke666

I'm sure.

I'm positive.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Bren

Well said, Bren image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Muppetier

Bren

But in the MMO industry, Macdonalds and Burger King have opened two restaurants next to each other, selling the same menu for the same price, and one is full of customers and the other is empty.

Just like in the restuarant business popularity has more to do with marketing than the actual quality of the product. You'll get just as full eating a Big Mac as you will eating Filet Mignon but the experience will be totally different. Most of the popular MMOs are the 'Fast Food' of the industry... Easy to pick up with relatively no entry barriers. Also just like the restuarant industry price has little to do with the rating system. If price was the determining factor games like Perfect World would be the best games of all time which we all know is not the case. PW trumps WoW in active account numbers(Like 30 million worldwide).

Now don't get me wrong. I've played games like WoW and LotRO extensively and enjoyed them very much but neither is even close to being the best MMO I've ever played. They did however satisfy my MMO hunger at the time.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Originally posted by Muppetier

Bren

What is the Burger King or the Pepsi of MMOs? All I see are local hamburger stalls and at best some gyros vendors. Haute cuisine? We are hard pressed to find a good homely inn.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

People here aren't even trying to vote what is good, or what is bad. It's a warfare between fans of different games, and giving rating is seen as a weapon by some people. Your favorite game is your team - it deserves 10. Anything which is better than your games is your enemy - and thus must be rated zero. Bad rating may be indication that the game is bad, or it may be indication that the game is good and seen as the enemy by fans of other games.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

There are a lot of bad assumptions here.  When you get a lot of votes, which WoW probably does, the lower scores and the higher scores tend to be muted, and *gasp* you get a nice view of how the average viewer looks at a game.

Given that the votes are probably still a small sample of the population that likes and plays WoW (how many Asian people know about this site?), the score it got is actually very, very good.

And for the fella that thinks everybody here who likes Lotro voted down WoW...stop smoking your own sh*t.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Ive played WoW for quite a while.

I liked it. But I would seriously prefer something else.

I enjoyed City of Heroes more than WoW because of the casual-ness and how easy it is to team.

I enjoyed Sword of the New World more than WoW because of the 3 chars per player thing.

I enjoyed Eve online less than WoW though but I still played that for a year or so.

I enjoyed that steampunk game a little less than WoW but it was close for me.

I enjoyed WoW more than Vindictus because of the lots of little things you can do in WoW.  But I did like Vindictus a lot in small bursts.

I enjoyed Ragnarok Online a lot less than WoW because of the non-existant party while levelling up but I still played that for a while.

I enjoyed WoW far more than SUN for reasons I myself dont really know.  SUN was pretty fun though

I absolutely loved the parody dungeon crawling MMO by Ncsoft but it got shut down :( That was so fun for me.

So with that, there are a few ways I could vote it.

Vote it based on how much  I enjoyed compared to other games.  If I were to just vote it in a rank-kind of way, it probably wouldve gotten an 8 or 7 or even 6.

But if I were to actually vote depending on polish, fun, and lack of problems, it probably would have gotten a 9 or 10.

Also, haters going to hate.  Maybe some put in a low low score just for the heck of it.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Originally posted by bronecar

Billions of people eat McDonalds, but not anyone with sense would rate McDonalds as the best food they ever eat.  WoW is like McDonads, it's cheap (in Asia), convenient, and fast.  WoW is definately not a "quality" MMORPG like a steak house would be, WoW is just fast food.

Seriously what are WoW's major draws?

Bug free, OK so what Tic Tack Toe is a bug free game as well.  This is not realy a quality issue than a convenience issue because WoW is not an innovative game.  For bug freeness to be a quality issue, then the mechanics would have to be innovative, since WoW just cloned a lot of MMORPG features and did not innovate, then its bug freeness is a convenience issue.

It is casual, AKA has really fast leveling.  OK, that's like Fast Food, you reach the endgame of eating your meal ASAP.

It's cheap in Asia.  WoW has reduced fees in Asia and that is what makes it popular for the majority of its fanbase.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Justin Bieber

iPhone

Farmville

All are popular, however I do not care much for them, different strokes I guess.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

This site is populated by people taht like discussing the theory behind MMORPGs, which features are good, bad, work well together, can be improved upon, etc.

And, by people that are looking for a game to play, because they are not satisfied by current games.

It is not a population of people happy with their current MMORPG and wanting to chat about it (although a few of those post here as well). Those people are playing MMORPGs, and chatting about them inside the game.

Poll makes perfect sense.