Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Most Anticipated

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the end of 2010 quickly approaches, it's time for the annual Reader's Choice awards here at MMORPG.com. Today we are asking for your input as to what game(s) currently in development that you are most looking forward to playing. Check out the nominees and then cast your vote for Most 2010 Awards: Most Anticipated

This year, our categories are: Game of the Year, New Game of the Year, Most Innovative, Most Improved, Best F2P, Favorite Company, Biggest News Story, Most Anticipated, and the newest, and most dubious, addition to our prizes, Biggest Disappointment.

Read more and vote on 2010 Awards: Most Anticipated.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

GW2 all the way!image

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Why isn't there a Blade and Soul option !? image

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Originally posted by skoupidi

Why isn't there a Bade and Soul option ? image

Because it's out in 2012.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Do we even need a vote? If you had asked at the beginning of the year, TOR would have probably won. But now? GW2. ArenaNet knows how to hype.

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

NCsoft had announced via its financial report from last September that Blade and Soul and Guild Wars 2 would meet the public in 2011. Now Blade and Soul has been scheduled to launch its closed beta test earlier than Guild Wars 2.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-02-08/blade_and_soul_closed_beta_in_the_first_half_of_2010,1.shtml

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Voted for Rift as my anticipation for the new games has shifted from SW:TOR to Rift. The more I hear about SWTOR the more it seems like a single player/coop game rather than an mmorpg. With everything I hear from Rift the more excited I am about the game. I am looking forward to eharing some beta feedback next week.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

None of em for myself. Looking forward to DFOs next xpacks ;p

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

Originally posted by Elidien

Is that fiscal year 2011 because I think NCSoft's year isn't a calendar year but I am not sure. I get so many of the fiscal years confused.

I voted for the underdog (not saying which one that is).

Anyhow its supposed to be released in the same time period as Guild Wars 2. So, i don't see why it can't make it in this list.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

While I am equally awaiting Rift, SWTOR and GW2 I chose GW2 as it just seems to be hands above the other games in what they have shown.  Being able to watch that 2 hour video of complete gameplay in HD with SOUND just blew me away.  Even though I am very excited about Rift and SWTOR, something about GW2 just seems magical.  Granted, I'll be buying all 3 and playing them into the next decade with abandon equally.

• wisesquirrelwisesquirrel Member UncommonPosts: 282

It isn't likely that any of them will bring what they promise, but Guild Wars 2 will probably be fun for a while.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

These games certainly do not hold any interest to me due to the fact that they are JUST machines

TERA - we get bombarded with supposedly "relevant" news info and posts on how awesome it will be, but so far the only real feature it seems ot have is non-targeting combat. Otherwise its just prettier aion or any other <insertyourgrindgamehere>. Now it would all still be good if it was f2p, but  its p2p game(published by heinious and horrible frogster in europe, so europeans are yet again screwed) and a p2p game with huge multi-million investments and budgets and bills reaching almost a billion dollars.  Now where did i hear already about a hyped p2p game with huge budget and too much hype? Oh right, apb.. II predict a huge disappointment from the community once the game is released. Maybe it will go f2p in few years but it will certainly won't get a huge market share.

Star Wars: The Old Republic  - everything I said about TERA still holds true, except that the combat is utterly weak in this one. I will admit, I had a HUGE hopes when it was anounced that third kotor saga part will be a mmo. However after that all I saw was a hype and disappointing little bits of actual information(from story to gameplay). The hype is dangerous for this one. Of course since its Bioware, it might get overrated and praised like fps effect II, but IMO that won't be the case. The game has nothing innotive nor interesting. The core essence of what made KOTOR great is gone and we have yet another rvr game with focus on pve And the only feature that is fully advertised is voice acting?  The whole info suppresion, the fired employee blog, the lack of actual info and too much hype leads me to believe that people will be either hugely disappointed with this or will try to justify  on why it did not achieve anything significant or why it is undeserving to be a part of kotor awesomeness.

Guild Wars II - well, this still has its hype, but its managed and controlled (unlike TOR or TERA). However all I see so far is guild wars 1 with better graphics. None of the mistakes guild wars made are fixed, sadly.

DC Universe Online - sadly so far it seems that the champions online situation will repeat itself, game will stumble around for a year or so only to go f2p afterward.

Rift - now this has a lot of hype, but the actual info leaks and bits somewhat justify it. The rift dynamics sound interesting and the multiclass system as well. I certainly hope it won't be just another grind to play as it has all the elements of good old school mmorpg in its development, which i like.

Overall, while of this list I will choose Rift, that is certainly NOT my most awaited mmorpg.  It goes somewhat like this:

1. Secret World

2. ArcheAge

3. Faxion

4. Rift.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

NCsoft had announced via its financial report from last September that Blade and Soul and Guild Wars 2 would meet the public in 2011. Now Blade and Soul has been scheduled to launch its closed beta test earlier than Guild Wars 2.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-02-08/blade_and_soul_closed_beta_in_the_first_half_of_2010,1.shtml

That's mmosite, it's the National Enquirer or The Sun of the gaming world.

Anyway, for me it's GW2.

• DudensenDudensen Member Posts: 3

TERA, I'm done with buggy western POS.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I went with RIFT overall. 

Based on the reading I've done, the podcasts I've listened to, the information at my disposable to read and think about, this game, I anticipate, will have purposeful, meaningful, Massively-Multiplayer, community-influenced, cooperative and competitive, on-going dynamic, player-centric/pvp game-play that is simultaneously interlaced with pve influence or be worldly or factionally meaningful that transcends what I experienced in WoW or WAR.

The emphasis of pvevp game-play does not seem isolated to battlegrounds or redundant PQ's or scenarios, but perhaps really pushes that envelope of game-play design, mechanics, breadth and depth, and balance of pvevp, while being more about massively-multiplayer community involvement, rather than relying more on a heavily instanced 10 v 10 platform game-play.

So I went with RIFT as my choice, though I am anticipaing GW2 as my back-up, casual mmo, and am also anticipating SWTOR, but I don't get the same sense of it's breadth and depth of game-play, as I do with RIFT.  But that's just me.

Originally posted by Yuui

These games certainly do not hold any interest to me due to the fact that they are JUST machines

TERA - we get bombarded with supposedly "relevant" news info and posts on how awesome it will be, but so far the only real feature it seems ot have is non-targeting combat. Otherwise its just prettier aion or any other . Now it would all still be good if it was f2p, but  its p2p game(published by heinious and horrible frogster in europe, so europeans are yet again screwed) and a p2p game with huge multi-million investments and budgets and bills reaching almost a billion dollars.  Now where did i hear already about a hyped p2p game with huge budget and too much hype? Oh right, apb.. II predict a huge disappointment from the community once the game is released. Maybe it will go f2p in few years but it will certainly won't get a huge market share.

You obviously have no clue about Tera. First of all there we will be a westernised version of it for us EU/NA players (which translates to less grinding than the eastern version). There are tons of other features that will make it different from the rest mmos of this list. Like playerhousing, city lords, very good AI and a lot more others that you have to look for yourself.

So before you start thrastalking over games you don't have a clue for, at least try gathering some info first, or at least play the game yourself. image

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Guild Wars II - well, this still has its hype, but its managed and controlled (unlike TOR or TERA). However all I see so far is guild wars 1 with better graphics. None of the mistakes guild wars made are fixed, sadly.

It's amazing how with one sentence an entire post can be dismissed as being from someone that has no idea what they're talking about.

The differences between GW and GW2 are dramatic. This isn't Guild Wars v2.0, this is an entirely different game based on the lore. Easily my most-anticipated MMO ever.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• razor3999razor3999 Member Posts: 1
    GW2 easily. The only that shows any promise.
  • OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Volkon

It's amazing how with one sentence an entire post can be dismissed as being from someone that has no idea what they're talking about.

The differences between GW and GW2 are dramatic. This isn't Guild Wars v2.0, this is an entirely different game based on the lore. Easily my most-anticipated MMO ever.

LoL Well said Volkon

Like so may others. at the start of 2010 i was super hyped for SWTOR, but with each piece of news released my interest and excitment shrank

Now at Christmas 2010 there is only one truely inovitive mmorpg game annouced for next year (i'm guessing this time next year for a release date) 

Guild Wars 2

Gets my Vote

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

GW2 because it looks like it has the quality of a P2P MMO but it has the attractive business model of paying for expansions only. That and Arenanet was very successful with Guild Wars.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

So...what are the mistakes that GW1 has that haven't been fixed by GW2?

oh, and GW2 all the way baby!!!

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Guild Wars 2 without a doubt! :)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I voted Rift but I know GW2 will win since it is more casual..........and free

• pepenlorpepenlor Member UncommonPosts: 17

GW2 without question

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

This was a tough one because I'm looking forward to all of these games.  I chose TOR as I can see me spending most of my time there overall.  DCUO was close on the list for me too.  I'm not anticipating GW2 as much as I am for RIFT at this time... but I'm flip flopping between the two while I wait to play them both.

I think the easiest thing would have been which one I would have chosen last, and that would be Tera.