Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tabula Rasa: The Quiz: The Garriott Assessment

Comments

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

replying to my own post...

On a side-note...

I still can't understand why Origin failed so badly with updating UO, for today.  Mainly the graphics.

First they had that 3d client (that eventually came out) and was complete garbage.  It died - no shocker to anyone that tried it.

All that time and money spent on the Kingdom reborn client, and it sucked, people hated it, and it died too.

Now we have another new beta client, that they charge for, and no, you don't HAVE TO use it, but did you ever try playing UO again on a 1600x1200 screen?  Dragging those tiny graphics objects around was beyond painful - if you want to have decent looking graphics, you won't play on a 640x480 screen scaled to your 24 inch LCD.

The new clients lack 3rd party support, so it makes them very unnatractive to use, for most people who have (Razor) dozens of macros they use all the time, let alone scripts and so on.  I miss UO.  I can't even play on private servers because the ancient client is so pathetic, especially while even garbage-quality free MMO's coming out all the time that support 1900x1200 displays and look 100 times better than UO ever will.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Robsolf

I miss it, too.  What there was of it.  Crazy that 7 years went into it. and it was so weak in content.  Must've been cuz of the 33 or so rewrites along the way...

Yep; originally it was supposed to be a fantasy based MMO.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• pheonixtigerpheonixtiger Member Posts: 2

There is still a group trying to bring it back.  They are atleast keeping an ear to the ground with the latest news about TR.  goto: http://changingwind.org/savetr/news.php

Tigerborn

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

"Lord British walks the earth in Lineage"

/facepalm

• user750user750 Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by cag1980

Don't do that to me again..........I saw the TR pick and nearly jumped for joy at perhaps it re-opening and going free to play....but no it was a quiz :(

Damn you!!!!!!!!  :( :(

Same thing man... :(

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Richard Garriot has been defeated!

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by HappyFunBall

Originally posted by Atrayo

Hi There,

Whenever an MMO project takes 7 years in production its soon to be a "problem child". The recent APB MMO project also had a period of 7 years in development. Look what happened to that game developer running out of capital. Luckily for that project new owners stepped in to save the game title.

As for "Richard Garriott" and his brother "Robert Garriott" that often handles the business side for Richard. (Origin Systems & Destination Games) It seems his success was more so with the "Ultima" franchise he created. Be it the early PC games on floppy disks or "Ultima Online" itself. He has yet to replicate the success he encountered so many years ago.

I'm sure he as a person has benefited from the many lesson's learned personally and professionally. But, his spark of a genius or genie was left behind with the "Ultima Series". What wonders he could have developed if he didn't sell out to Electronic Arts.

What would "Walt Disney" be if he sold Mickey Mouse and the Disney intellectual property to another company?

7 years.  Ouch.  Did they lose a ton of money on this title or what?

I was sad to see it go away 100%.  Not sure why they couldn't have made a f2p version with an item shop.  I actually liked the game.  It was different, to say the least.

Cant NCSOFT still has to pay royalties on TR to Richard Garriot , if they host it , after the stunt he did , i dont think they want to pay him a dim , sorry business structure is business structure .

While i realy hoped TR would pull together cause it had really unique features , but i guess SWTOR or Blizzard TITAN (halo mmo) can try to pick it up where he left it .

Lets see if he starts another IP sueing .

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Atrayo

Hi There,

Whenever an MMO project takes 7 years in production its soon to be a "problem child". The recent APB MMO project also had a period of 7 years in development. Look what happened to that game developer running out of capital. Luckily for that project new owners stepped in to save the game title.

As for "Richard Garriott" and his brother "Robert Garriott" that often handles the business side for Richard. (Origin Systems & Destination Games) It seems his success was more so with the "Ultima" franchise he created. Be it the early PC games on floppy disks or "Ultima Online" itself. He has yet to replicate the success he encountered so many years ago.

I'm sure he as a person has benefited from the many lesson's learned personally and professionally. But, his spark of a genius or genie was left behind with the "Ultima Series". What wonders he could have developed if he didn't sell out to Electronic Arts.

What would "Walt Disney" be if he sold Mickey Mouse and the Disney intellectual property to another company?

I was sad to see it go away 100%.  Not sure why they couldn't have made a f2p version with an item shop.  I actually liked the game.  It was different, to say the least.

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

Before the purchase, the game was competely different and underwent a redesign either right before or right after the aquisition of "Destination Games"  If you look you'll find screenshots.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

TR was brilliant in some parts but lacked a lot in others. i really wished someone could just finish and rerelease it.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Richard Garriot was someone who could rarely get a project out on time and under budget.  As spending grew this became more of an issue.  He also micro-managed heavily.  When Garriot ran his own company it was one thing, but once they sold out...

Tabula Rasa went through too many shifts in focus and design.  At a certain point, years in, NCSoft deposed Garriot and sent in managers to shephard the project.  Too many cooks spoiled that broth.  I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of insurance or red ink voodoo isn't the real reason that it vanished and has not risen from the grave in zombie game fashion. 

I have it on good authority that some of the parts from the early Tabula Rasa game ended up being used in Aion.  Sadly, the planned upgrade to UO, UO2, was killed by EA top dogs, looking for a way to make the balance sheet look better.  It had all sorts of planned  upgrades, including graphics. 

Garriot had a great run, but there's been nothing in recent years to show that he's still got the creative spark and the self discipline to put out a worthy successor to his early hits.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I am surprised that NCSoft has not made this a f2p game or sold it to someone.  It was not that bad a game, much better than most of the f2p games out there.

I think there is honor involved in this story, which is the reason both NC and R.G reacted that badly. In any case and this is the reason i said what i said, its NC who made him a favor, not the way around.

• WepdesignWepdesign Member Posts: 31

Will he ever get the court settlement he won against NCSoft? Or NCSoft gonna appeal like forever? Both parties suck. The only one who is suffering r the players who rly liked the game and tbh this game still has alot of potentiel. So NCSoft u small dick Koreans sell the damn game and RG go buy a Russian mail-wife u ugly pony tailed bald headed freak. 

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Drew - an interesting quiz, however the bonus question is missing some things, at the very least Lord British was in Ultima Online (he would sometimes actually be in game at Britain castle).  I also seem to remember lord british being in some of the even earlier non-mmo Ultima series (for those of us a little older).

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

When i see a game like APB has found someone to buy and save it ... i'm sure NCsoft could sell TR client and server code for a good amount of money.

Nothing to do with TR, but they also should sell Aion, so that someone could save this game, that is going where no game should go ...

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

IS how i feel too , the shouldn´t die cause of some idiocy between those two .

But its gone too far , but at this point releasing the game with too little content wouldn´t please us either.

No developer going to put in the money or resources GC asks , to futher his dreams .

Sorry his class system is awesome , but for 7 year development time his content was less then spectacular.

• ZdenkaZdenka Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by AlexTheTall

I miss TR!

yes me too !, incoming Thraaaaaaaaaaax wave 3

• XpertiseXpertise Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by tazmanyak

but they also should sell Aion, so that someone could save this game, that is going where no game should go ...

So... Your financial advice to NCSoft is to sell a MMO with 2.5 million subscribers...

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

TR was deeply flawed but goddam was the combat fun.  I loved the CP assaults and defenses.

I really wish some company would come along and just recreate that combat.  The AI, after the a few patches, was amazing as well.

Best combat I've ever experienced in an MMO by a mile.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

This is one game I will always miss (as you can see from my MMORPG.com avatar). I didn't care much for where the game was developmentally at launch (and the following months). However, they really turned the game around. The dev team did amazing work with a skeleton crew and still produced a crafting system, the start of Earth, and mechs, despite the game closing down.

It is too bad that business gets in the way of gaming pleasure sometimes! Haha. Seriously though, I know that a company with a few good ideas could make TR succeed as a f2p hybrid model.  It will never happen, it seems.

Damn it, I MISS TR!

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

/sigh

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• clutch_cargoclutch_cargo Member Posts: 2

[quote]Tabula Rasa went through too many shifts in focus and design.  At a certain point, years in, NCSoft deposed Garriot and sent in managers to shephard the project. [/quote]

Still, Tabula Rasa in the end came out being a pretty good game.  I can't stand Aion... I'd much rather play TR.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

What a Legend.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Garriot is going into Social gaming...sad to see really that Tabula Rasa was the end of his great days as a creator of games.