Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Early 4.0.3 Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest World of Warcraft article, MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller takes a look at some of the changes in the overhauled starting areas that have gone live as of the 4.0.3 update. Garrett chronicles what he believes are the most significant changes with the advent of the new patch. Check out his article and leave us your comments below.

As a follow up to last week’s article on the WoW Patch 4.0.3, I wanted to write about my experiences in the new starting area of Warcraft. I made two new characters, a Tauren Paladin and an Orc Mage. The Mage won out and I started playing in the old zone of Durator once again. Only this time there were some serious changes. Are they changes for the better? I think so.

Read more World of Warcraft: Early 4.0.3 Experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elos_rekatelos_rekat Member Posts: 106

" No more aggro from mobs was a big change, so everything is friendly yellow. You can run around and kill the monsters you want in order to finish your quests. "

This was in the game long before the mentioned patch

Gotta admit I quit reading after that because obviously, the author has no idea of what changes came about as part of this patch.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

Originally posted by elos_rekat

" No more aggro from mobs was a big change, so everything is friendly yellow. You can run around and kill the monsters you want in order to finish your quests. "

Gotta admit I quit reading after that because obviously, the author has no idea of what changes came about as part of this patch.

I was about to say the same thing lol he couldn't be more wrong about the aggro.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Frostbite05

I was about to say the same thing lol he couldn't be more wrong about the aggro.

yeah thats been in awhile now, but to the OP make sure you hit redridge once you reach the level (20 i think?) it for me had the best quests by far. i just started over tho and only like 25 so far.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I took a break from leveling a Warlock alt to try out a Tauren Pali and noticed quite a few of the Mulgore quests have changed. The Camp Narache quests have changed and are now all focused on killing quillboars form quest givers in a couple of locations. Many of the quests from Bloodhoof are the same but seem a bit more streamlined but I must admit it's been a while so I may be mistaken. The only noticable difference was the 'spirit wolf' quests now transforms you into a spirit wolf and takes you to a new quest hub in Northeast Mulgore.

One of the big differences is Mulgore is now isolated as you cannot get into the barrens from here. The Alliance now hold the South Barrens and they have built a wall where Camp Turajo used to be, it has been destoryed. So to get to the Crossroads, you must either fly (the Wing Rider Master gives you a free one way trip as you don't have the FP yet) or take the Zep to Orgrimar. From there you' hoof it' to the Bridge that crosses the river from Durotar. This is now a mini-quest hub, as is Grolgom Farm. Some of the quest givers have moved location which can be confusing for the old timers at first but it brings a refreshing change as you want to see what they did with the landscape and see all the new hubs.

I only got to level 23 but I like the changes so far... Pali leveling on hold for now as I revert back to the Warlock.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have no idea what either of you are talking about,there is tons of aggro,there was never any such thing as all yellow and can wander carelessly.

As for the actual aggro mechanics,there are none,bascially another EQ copy,you hit a certain point and bam auto aggro,cheap effort and design.So happens there is a MUCH older game with far superior aggro mechanics,but sounds like the first poster is happier with no aggro,wants to wander care free with zero risk.

My take on 4.03 is just same old,new face,i am sure it will keep the bored happy ,but really it is a cheap way of holding players attention.I played 4 players in different zones then felt totally bored with the game,after only 3 days.It is no different than day 1 of release,i find it hard to believe people can actually continue on after such a boring design.Even my players structure for combat was boring.

there was some nice quests,but hey i can get that in any game and usually with nice cutscenes and or better graphics.A few were bugged or repeated the same over in the other zone ,example the fire extinguisher was a rehased quest.

This is the truth....

On all 4 players ,i cannot remember the name of one single spell,i just briefly read them[super easy to understand ]then put them on my hotbar in order.Then all i did was spam the same sequence over and over,no thought ,no challenge no real care,i got bored really quick with every class i played.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• elos_rekatelos_rekat Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Wizardry

I have no idea what either of you are talking about,there is tons of aggro,there was never any such thing as all yellow and can wander carelessly.

As for the actual aggro mechanics,there are none,bascially another EQ copy,you hit a certain point and bam auto aggro,cheap effort and design.So happens there is a MUCH older game with far superior aggro mechanics,but sounds like the first poster is happier with no aggro,wants to wander care free with zero risk.

My take on 4.03 is just same old,new face,i am sure it will keep the bored happy ,but really it is a cheap way of holding players attention.I played 4 players in different zones then felt totally bored with the game,after only 3 days.It is no different than day 1 of release,i find it hard to believe people can actually continue on after such a boring design.Even my players structure for combat was boring.

there was some nice quests,but hey i can get that in any game and usually with nice cutscenes and or better graphics.A few were bugged or repeated the same over in the other zone ,example the fire extinguisher was a rehased quest.

This is the truth....

On all 4 players ,i cannot remember the name of one single spell,i just briefly read them[super easy to understand ]then put them on my hotbar in order.Then all i did was spam the same sequence over and over,no thought ,no challenge no real care,i got bored really quick with every class i played.

The OP was talking about the starting area level 1-5.  At least that's the way I read it.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Could they make this game any easier????  FFS way to kill any sense of accomplishment or challenge while leveling

C

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'm assuming he means the newbie experience? Although, mobs up to lvl 6-ish have always been yellow in starting areas.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132

The game might be too old and too well-known to attract significant amounts of new players. Having to buy all those expansions will put off quite a new players as well, I guess.

And about returning players: quite a number of people who stopped playing have discovered RL and they might not want to return to any MMORPG (and if they do, they might prefer a more casual one or just want to try something different). Others have tried other games for a change and found some they liked.

I am certainly no WOW-hater or -basher, but I doubt whether the Cataclysm is enough to keep player numbers from a slow decline. I guess I am a WOW-pessimist.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I've gotten my tauren pally up to level 38.  I did Mulgore, then Azshara.  Azshara was just AWESOME.  Then I hit Stonetalon Mountains, another well "re-done" zone and then I hit Desolace.  Was going OK until I hit the last few quests.  They were bugged.  So Desolace still sucks as a zone overall.  Now I'm in Ferelas and doing quests I've done before, so nothing new so far although the western coast areas are really different now.  I'm hoping the awesome storylines I had in Azshara and Stonetalon make an appearance again, was loving levels 1 - 30.  

I like how they split the dungeons up into wings now and lowered their level reqs.  Like I can run Diremaul now at level 36, the first wing that is.  Can't wait.  Overall, I think these changes are awesome, I just wish they had put the same level of polish and story into EVERY old world zone.  

• the_stickmanthe_stickman Member UncommonPosts: 34

Played 3 or 4 of the new starting areas. I like what they've done. Back playing WoW after 15 months off. Game is basically the same with some nice tweaks & a huge improvement in graphics, IMO. Starting new tune from scratch and looking forward to a more relaxing level climb than in the past.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'll give people 2 months before they get bored of Cataclysm. Some of the changes are ok but overall its the same old quest grind to the max level. Can't see how that can be so appealing when so many are screaming for something new and different.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I got to ask, is it still a walk in the park to level or have they made it a bit harder? One huge reason I left wow was that Blizz wanted everyone at top level so they made it very easy to get there. To me reading these it seems as if they havent changed much at all in a sense of feeling good about accomplishing something.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I love the changes. Low level questing is way more fun now. Can't wait to make my Worgen Warrior!

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by snoop101

I got to ask, is it still a walk in the park to level or have they made it a bit harder? One huge reason I left wow was that Blizz wanted everyone at top level so they made it very easy to get there. To me reading these it seems as if they havent changed much at all in a sense of feeling good about accomplishing something.

Actually they have made leveling easier than ever. Quest lines are streamlined, all the quests for a dungeon are available just inside the entrance of each dungeon and they even reduced the amount of exp required to lvl by 20% in the 70-80 range.

They did add some challenge to two of the older dungeons (SFK and DM) which is really kicking some players asses. I have a feeling once people hit lvl 81 and start running the new dungeons they will hit another brick wall. So although the solo quest grind is now easier than ever, the group/dungeon content is slowly moving back toward being challenging.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

"Overall, WoW has definitely changed for the better. I think the stream-lined questing and advancement will give new players a much easier time."

First of all I don't hate WoW, I had fun with till my shaman reached lvl 60 and BC came out, but left a week after I bought BC on it's release, simply had enough of the game. But to be honost I didn't really get the quote I copied, as in "give new players a much easier time" As far I can recall WoW was already very easy, or am I missing something or just misunderstanding what is meant with a much easier time?

As with all games regardless if I like the game or not is that I hope it does well for those who play it.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Originally posted by mrshroom89

Could they make this game any easier????  FFS way to kill any sense of accomplishment or challenge while leveling

I couldnt agree more WTF, its good cause its more streamlined?  Has that ever been a issue with WoW being to hard at low levels?  Holy crap where are we going as mmo players?

"I think the stream-lined questing and advancement will give new players a much easier time."   Now im not mister hardcore but dear god its like a bad joke.  Wheres the big red i win button??!!?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• DragondieDragondie Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by adderVXI

Originally posted by mrshroom89

I couldnt agree more WTF, its good cause its more streamlined?  Has that ever been a issue with WoW being to hard at low levels?  Holy crap where are we going as mmo players?

"I think the stream-lined questing and advancement will give new players a much easier time."   Now im not mister hardcore but dear god its like a bad joke.  Wheres the big red i win button??!!?

it's sad what WoW turned into i remember playing the TBC and downing prince for the first time amazing feeling of accomplishment it wasn't handed to me it took weeks. Every raid boss after that felt great to down cause it wasn't easy to do they got 11 million subs when the game was harder why are they making the game easier i have no clue. Your right the game is a bad joke that doesnt teach anyone how to play the game from level 1-80 then people wonder why in a pug people can't do the simpliest task. Blizzard will not get my 40$ for cata after Wotlk i can't trust anything they say cause that crap was a bunch of crap.

• LosianLosian Member Posts: 6

I'm personally let down with the scope of the 'cataclysm.' Seems like more of a 'catastrophe,' or perhaps a 'large disaster.' But not a cataclysm.

I was expecting A LOT more destruction, darker skies, etc. - This really just feels like an overall facelift/improvement, not a Catacylsm, by definition. Largely positive improvements, but serious let down on the severity of the so-called cataclysm.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

I am honest the game new quest and new zones aren´t badly done , but sorry to say its a change of world calling it cataclysme.

That is a bit overhyped .

And i seen more changes in City of heroes in the 5 years , with zones redone slowly instead of instantly .

warrant a cataclysme .

But we will see in 3 months people will be bored , but in the meantime like any other MMO blizzard will get our money for cataclysme . even the most jaded mmo player will probaly give it a go .

• wksmithwksmith Member Posts: 12

They are offering the original game, Burning Crusade, and Lich King for a total of $20 now!  I think we will see alot of returning players (like me) checking out those expansions and Cataclysm. 

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I'm leveling a new character at the moment ro see what the new 1-60 content is like . To me it just seams variations on whats been done before and it certainly does'nt gp far enough in changing the eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor . Few new mobs ,  quests that may not be the same but are so familure they may as well be , stormwind and ogrimaar redesigned for the better , some tweaking of most areas of the old game world and a couple of areas that have been redesigned in the way most people thought the whole 1-60 content would be . Essentially not much new . Nice as a patch but it begs the question how much with the expansion will offer given theres now new continent to explore . I would suggest before you buy the expansion you come back for a month and see for yourself . Its nice but not world changing . Bit of a let down really .

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by wksmith

They are offering the original game, Burning Crusade, and Lich King for a total of $20 now!  I think we will see alot of returning players (like me) checking out those expansions and Cataclysm. 

I  had to respond to this post . Did you only ever play the original vanilla WoW . You must be finding the game much changed .

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

From the writer of the article:

" There is no more of an old style MMO feel where you are just dropped in the world. This is much more linear and gives the player direction. It is like a streamlined game now that moves at a faster pace. I don't think this is a bad thing. If anything it bugs me, it's that they did not do this in the first place, but that was six years ago. "

From ME.....

YOU might think this is a good thing, but....it's one of the things I hate about WoW.  The entire feeling of exploring a strange, and possibly dangerous world....is GONE....along with most of the challenge, and for ME.....all of the excitement.

I am so angry with Blizzard in this moment and time, it's not even funny.  For me, they have taken a game that I, at one time, enjoyed, and totally fucked it up. I hate them for it.  But in my case, that's okay....because unlike most present WoW players, there are other games out there that exist for me as well. And I will probably be going to play one of them at least until GW2, Rift, or TSW steals me away. I've even considered DCUO. With all the games we will SOON have to choose from....I won't even have to think about WoW any more unless I want to.

I paid 15 bucks to come back and see some of the world changes. I am underwhelmed to say the least. The talent changes don't seem so bad, but the world changes have failed to impress me.

Anyway....it's only 15 bucks. No great loss. And I'm not married to any one game, so I don't feel obligated to buy it or continue.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Originally posted by just1opinion

From the writer of the article:

" There is no more of an old style MMO feel where you are just dropped in the world. This is much more linear and gives the player direction. It is like a streamlined game now that moves at a faster pace. I don't think this is a bad thing. If anything it bugs me, it's that they did not do this in the first place, but that was six years ago. "

From ME.....

YOU might think this is a good thing, but....it's one of the things I hate about WoW.  The entire feeling of exploring a strange, and possibly dangerous world....is GONE....along with most of the challenge, and for ME.....all of the excitement.

I am so angry with Blizzard in this moment and time, it's not even funny.  For me, they have taken a game that I, at one time, enjoyed, and totally fucked it up. I hate them for it.  But in my case, that's okay....because unlike most present WoW players, there are other games out there that exist for me as well. And I will probably be going to play one of them at least until GW2, Rift, or TSW steals me away. I've even considered DCUO. With all the games we will SOON have to choose from....I won't even have to think about WoW any more unless I want to.

I paid 15 bucks to come back and see some of the world changes. I am underwhelmed to say the least. The talent changes don't seem so bad, but the world changes have failed to impress me.

Anyway....it's only 15 bucks. No great loss. And I'm not married to any one game, so I don't feel obligated to buy it or continue.

THANK YOU!!!! OMG this is the way I feel also. And I was a CATA beta tester. Its like the same crap to the beat of a diffrent drummer. I hope this is the last expansion for WoW im persoanaly waiting for TOR.