Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum: A First Look

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by n00bit
    So, I'm curious. He mentions it has an offline training system similar to EVE; can you also gain experience/skills through in-game actions like combat or mining? The thing about EVE that really turned me off was seeing that 1 month+ training time and not being able to do a thing about it.

Yes, the system is very same in principle. There is a small difference though, that your Extension points accumulate over time and you can distribute them whenever you want instead of setting their distribution in advance.

With real-time training, you do not have to spend your time leveling(grinding) but you can actually play the game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Scot

Well this seems the perfect time for a review to me as the game has just launched. I am puzzled as to why this is a first impressions though, are we always going to have this now a ‘first impressions’ with no score followed by a real review with score a month later?

Have gaming journalists just excepted now that no MMO will release in a fit state at launch so no reviews with scores will be done until at least a month after launch?

As for the MMO itself it is good to see both a sandbox and SF game that is on the radar and has some quality, we are paupers when it comes to anything other than fantasy tank and spank.

It make you wonder what Funcom and Cryptic did with all their money. SOE too.

Marketing and publishing. You don't wanna know how many millions those companies waste on advertisement and overhyping alone.  Pure waste, that could have been spend in actual development of the game itself.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

i actually thought it went down the drain, did beta early 2010

and wasent really impressed, played a coupple of months but

eweventually got bored.. 

Im happy to see they are comeing out after all, fun game

just not sure about its longlivity.  might aswell fly a spaceship for house

with nothing happending :D  

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• OzzallosOzzallos Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 35

Does Perpetuum still have the same mechanics as the closed beta? Because if it does, it's got to be one of the most dry and boring games ever.

Collecting resources was an epic waste of time and moving your character around in combat felt more like an RTS than an RPG of any sort. In fact, much as I wanted this game to be pwnsauce, they ripped the entire goddamn GUI out of EVE Online. It felt like EVE in many respects... Save for the fact that it's magnitudes more boring. Even missions consisted of nothing more than a text terminal dump of the objective. About the only positive point I was able to find was that it was pretty in terms of graphics. Of course, all of that could have changed, but it was bad enough not to entice me into further downloads. Playing this game was literally like watching somebody exclaim, "EVE Online! But with Mechs!"  ..just infinitely more fail added to change things up.

Back to playing Iris Online.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by adam_nox

having only read about this game, I surmise it's a pile of crap parading as a deep complex experience due to a clunky interface and a user-unfriendly set of game mechanics.

Having read your post, I surmise you are a shallow individual who is easily influenced by others opinions... but I could be wrong.  image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

should rather just be if your looking for an ugly over complex game, click here. The questing system seems to be shit even by EvE standards, the combat system although it worked with space ships it doesnt work well on ground, its repetative and boring. The world lacks vegatation and dodads. Its like half of the planet is just bleak texture.

Eve is and was a great game with stunning visual effects, this got to be the ugliest mmo Ive tried to date (not sure wether to involve the 2d ones in the eqvation). Sure it may work in space to just throw in some rocks and add a space station but on ground you cant have just brown/grey texture its horrible and add some excentric flowers to cover it up which must contain 0.1% of the total landmass anyway.

In short I like/d EvE, I dislike/hate Perpetuum

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i trialed perpetuum for about 4 hrs, uninstaled it. The game is graphically appalling.  The combat is bugged ( delay responseiveness).  The topography is mundande and repetitive, enemy ai bots are overpowered and you die often. The existing store/market is rather non intuitive.  It's just really UGLY.

so say we all

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

I trialed perpetuum for about 4 days, still playing it. The game is graphically amazing.  The combat is fun.  The topography is varied and interesting, enemy ai bots are balanced but you will die sometimes if you don't pay attention. The existing store/market is rather small, but will grow over time.  It's just really AWESOME.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by PapaB34R

should rather just be if your looking for an ugly over complex game, click here. The questing system seems to be shit even by EvE standards, the combat system although it worked with space ships it doesnt work well on ground, its repetative and boring. The world lacks vegatation and dodads. Its like half of the planet is just bleak texture.

Eve is and was a great game with stunning visual effects, this got to be the ugliest mmo Ive tried to date (not sure wether to involve the 2d ones in the eqvation). Sure it may work in space to just throw in some rocks and add a space station but on ground you cant have just brown/grey texture its horrible and add some excentric flowers to cover it up which must contain 0.1% of the total landmass anyway.

I have the exact opposite opinion here, and find the same things he's complaining about to be strengths the game already has over Eve. So don't take the words of Eve faithful as gospel. Try it out yourself first. I hated Eve, Perpetuum however is looking great.

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

the screenshot looks kind of bad and uninteresting. i'll skip.

• ExekileExekile Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by binary_0011

the screenshot looks kind of bad and uninteresting. i'll skip.

Thanks for telling us that. 

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by testmyluck

Originally posted by PapaB34R

I have the exact opposite opinion here, and find the same things he's complaining about to be strengths the game already has over Eve. So don't take the words of Eve faithful as gospel. Try it out yourself first. I hated Eve, Perpetuum however is looking great.

tried it and hate it, did you even bother to read what I typed? Besides what about poorly structured worlds do you find appealing, what of  the even worse/stale combat system then EvE dont you understand? The "game" is atleast according to me a joke. But thats just my oppinion as a veteran mmo player and an old EvE crawler, but hey if you like it.. great...

No wonder the screenshots taken are always so dark, why would they want to expose it for what it is, a bleak boring empty place full of nothing (well part of players which half of them are afk/mining). Played it for about 2 hours after that I just said fuck it, quit and unnistalled it. I never want to see it again.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by cosy

a bit late no ? in 8h the game go live

So if they give you a first look, say, 3 weeks before launch...if there is a criticism then folks would say "No fair! It's still in beta!"  I think it's perfect timing.

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

I love when I read the "stale and boring combat system from EVE".  You know instantly that the person just doesnt get it.  EVE is one of the only games where the combat is always changing, requires thought, requires advance planning, requires research into your opponent and requires you to make dozens of decisions in the space of one battle.  I can hardly think of another game that comes close in terms of non-boring, non stale combat.  All other games-once you learn the skill line up, the which to cast first, second third-its basically the exact same thing over and over and over again.  In EVE-different every time based on your enemy.

Perpetuum-same thing!  Varied combat, strategy required, fitting knowledge required, understanding your enemy required.  Theyll need to continue to layer in complexity over time to keep it interesting -but i suspect they will.

If you are looking for lots of jumping around, strafing, jumping, jousting, hopping, spinning, popping out of stealth to gank some "loser" this is not going to be the game for you.  If you are looking for that tiny bit of "giddy" you get when that ! or ? mark over the npc's head is no longer illuminated because you return his carrot-this isnt the game for you.  If you are the kind of guy that says "i reached level 25-where do i go next?"  this isnt the game for you.

If you like politics, strategy, building an industrial empire, market manipulation, challenging PVE content, exploration, PVP, strategic PVP, intrigue and betrayel, if you enjoy logging on and making your own content-this is the game for you!

For me-I love Perpetuum-one of the most fun gaming weekends I have had in several years.  That said-I do like to chase the !? and dings on occasion-and there are games for that too!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

What they did is looked at EVE, most likely played it and decided to create their own niche game with similar technique. What makes it odd is that this game has very similar mechanics and even FONTS can not be enlarged like in EVE. They may have purchased some kind of EVE core-code from CCP that allowed them wrap this code in their own mechanics. Thats why game is so oddly similar to EVE. You can't reproduce game specific issues unless you are using some part of that game's code. CCP may have sold them some kind of EVE alpha version or something...

Originally posted by Vantras

If you are looking for lots of jumping around, strafing, jumping, jousting, hopping, spinning, popping out of stealth to gank some "loser" this is not going to be the game for you.  If you are looking for that tiny bit of "giddy" you get when that ! or ? mark over the npc's head is no longer illuminated because you return his carrot-this isnt the game for you.  If you are the kind of guy that says "i reached level 25-where do i go next?"  this isnt the game for you.

'Loser?' 'Giddy?'  Did you just really lump ten million subscribers into the immature teenager demographic? Seriously? As for this game, only an apologist is going to ignore its critical deficiencies, and those really aren't that it rips gaming elements wholesale from EVE... It's that it does so and ends up failing badly at it.

For example, have you actually tried to mine anything yet? To do so, you'll first need to give up a weapons hardpoint on your mech. Second you'll need to equip the correct survey charges for the ore you'll be mining for. Bring thewrong charges and you won't find your ore. Third, you'll have to do a wide area search for your ore, which is denoted in a percentage formate, ie; you entire zone of scan contains 1% ore. Then you will have to hunt around for it using narrow scans to pinpoint the ore's exact location in order to mind it like some screwed up game of mining whack-a-mole. All of this prospecting is using up consumable charges, btw. Finally, if you haven't gotten attacked by now or killed by being underarmed, you can dig for crap via an obnoxiously long and drawn out- not to mention visually bland -mining process which can quite literally take five to ten minutes last  I played. Oh, and if you screwed up your loadout in any way, sorry, you can't re-equip in the field.

When I beta'd this game, the process was so complex and inanely time consuming that I literally sought out a player guide to help do it, because the game sure as hell didn't clue you in. For the love of God, I hope they changed that.

Likewise, there is very little skill involved in actually piloting your mech since most of your outcomes in battle will be decided before you ever step foot out of the garage. Once you're in open air, you navigate your mech on a two dimentional landscape that feels more like you're placing a unit in an RTS more than actually playing an MMORPG, with a ponderous pace to match. At least in EVE you could pilot your ship against an avasary in three dimentions through a beautiful space backdrop, not a landscape with the dimentions of plywood. Piloting actually takes skill. This game displays a complete lack of it.

The sky is pretty. And sure, there's terrain and some of it is even destructable. The enemy AI is actually great IMO, but all of this comes off as little more than gimmicks when pair against the bland gameplay that Perpetuum provides. It's not even mechwarrior fun, which itself suffers from the critical deficiency in that mass rules all. Perp doesn't even have character, and for that, I'm saddened.

So to answer your point directly: No, this game doesn't fail because it's EVE with mechs, even though that's certainly the basic premise behind the title. Nor is it because the people who disagree with you are looking for question marks and ganking losers. It's because Perpetuum harbors critical deficiencies that make what worked with EVE aggervate an already existing condition of fail for this title.

IMfreakinO and all that.

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

I forget-does Runes of Magic have  question marks or exclamation points?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by reanor

What they did is looked at EVE, most likely played it and decided to create their own niche game with similar technique.

Remarkable.  That's what I think Blizzard did with EverQuest.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Needed to comment on no mention of KEY MAPPING,this is a MUST for any game ,not everyone wants or uses WASD or clicks.

Also i don't know how others feel ,but for the same reason CCP missed the point,it kind of loses the immersion if your player is learning all these skills but you really don't have a player,just a fake avatar.It would add Sooooo much to the game if you actually had a player and showed a cool animation of the player climbing/loading him/herself into the Mech.

Also no mention of offline learning,this game copied Eve in this respect no?Do people actually feel they DESERVE to achieve something for doing nothing?I don't ,but no matter ,it is something important that was left out of the preview.

Alaso no mention of any other kind of movement/transportation vehicles.the story goes they landed on this planet,they have all this technology,but the ONLY transportation is the MECH?Again this seems unrealistic and ruins the mood of any RPG aspect to the game.Makes it more or less a Mech fps game.IDk maybe there is more transportation ,it was not mentioned and should be mentioned.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by Ozzallos

'Loser?' 'Giddy?'  Did you just really lump ten million subscribers into the immature teenager demographic? Seriously? As for this game, only an apologist is going to ignore its critical deficiencies, and those really aren't that it rips gaming elements wholesale from EVE... It's that it does so and ends up failing badly at it.

For example, have you actually tried to mine anything yet? To do so, you'll first need to give up a weapons hardpoint on your mech. Second you'll need to equip the correct survey charges for the ore you'll be mining for. Bring thewrong charges and you won't find your ore. Third, you'll have to do a wide area search for your ore, which is denoted in a percentage formate, ie; you entire zone of scan contains 1% ore. Then you will have to hunt around for it using narrow scans to pinpoint the ore's exact location in order to mind it like some screwed up game of mining whack-a-mole. All of this prospecting is using up consumable charges, btw. Finally, if you haven't gotten attacked by now or killed by being underarmed, you can dig for crap via an obnoxiously long and drawn out- not to mention visually bland -mining process which can quite literally take five to ten minutes last  I played. Oh, and if you screwed up your loadout in any way, sorry, you can't re-equip in the field.

When I beta'd this game, the process was so complex and inanely time consuming that I literally sought out a player guide to help do it, because the game sure as hell didn't clue you in. For the love of God, I hope they changed that.

Likewise, there is very little skill involved in actually piloting your mech since most of your outcomes in battle will be decided before you ever step foot out of the garage. Once you're in open air, you navigate your mech on a two dimentional landscape that feels more like you're placing a unit in an RTS more than actually playing an MMORPG, with a ponderous pace to match. At least in EVE you could pilot your ship against an avasary in three dimentions through a beautiful space backdrop, not a landscape with the dimentions of plywood. Piloting actually takes skill. This game displays a complete lack of it.

The sky is pretty. And sure, there's terrain and some of it is even destructable. The enemy AI is actually great IMO, but all of this comes off as little more than gimmicks when pair against the bland gameplay that Perpetuum provides. It's not even mechwarrior fun, which itself suffers from the critical deficiency in that mass rules all. Perp doesn't even have character, and for that, I'm saddened.

So to answer your point directly: No, this game doesn't fail because it's EVE with mechs, even though that's certainly the basic premise behind the title. Nor is it because the people who disagree with you are looking for question marks and ganking losers. It's because Perpetuum harbors critical deficiencies that make what worked with EVE aggervate an already existing condition of fail for this title.

IMfreakinO and all that.

I dunno dude.

To players who have played both EvE and Perpetuum,  your post makes very little sense.  I mean it's just plain off on 3 or 4 critical points by so far I'm not going to even bother.   You don't understand either game so don't try to compare one to the other.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by loeslein

IMfreakinO and all that.

I dunno dude.

To players who have played both EvE and Perpetuum,  your post makes very little sense.  I mean it's just plain off on 3 or 4 critical points by so far I'm not going to even bother.   You don't understand either game so don't try to compare one to the other.

He makes some very very good points tho.

Yesterday I finally came around and gave mining a go. And I was absolutely flabbergasted.

They managed to make mining in this game even more boring than EVE Online.  Can you imagine that?  Well they succeeded at it.

The most shocking thing is, that even the mining animations look pretty much the same, just different color laser.

Mining in Perpetuum is far more time consuming than in EVE Online at the moment.

Go try and create a batch of Ammo in Perpetuum as example. And see how ridiculously long it will take.

Ofcourse you will first need to kill a ton of NPC bots and harvest tons of kernels to research. Almost forgot about that too.

It's all great and well to add some depth and complexity to a game. But when it becomes so extremely tedious and extremely time consuming to do and create even the simplest of things.

Your game is gonna fail.

I forget-does Runes of Magic have  question marks or exclamation points?

Both! Actually i stopped playing that game as soon as launch rolled around and it was still a buggy nuke fest. Old tag is old. very old. I'll ask them to correct it some day :)

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

This sounds very interesting. I always wanted to get into EvE but I didn't want to be in space..... Perpetuum is on a planet so that makes it perfect :P

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by loeslein

IMfreakinO and all that.

I dunno dude.

He makes some very very good points tho.
    Yesterday I finally came around and gave mining a go. And I was absolutely flabbergasted.
    They managed to make mining in this game even more boring than EVE Online.  Can you imagine that?  Well they succeeded at it.
    The most shocking thing is, that even the mining animations look pretty much the same, just different color laser.
    Mining in Perpetuum is far more time consuming than in EVE Online at the moment.
    Go try and create a batch of Ammo in Perpetuum as example. And see how ridiculously long it will take.
    Ofcourse you will first need to kill a ton of NPC bots and harvest tons of kernels to research. Almost forgot about that too.

It's all great and well to add some depth and complexity to a game. But when it becomes so extremely tedious and extremely time consuming to do and create even the simplest of things.
    Your game is gonna fail.

You would actually collect ammo from those NPC bots or from the market and reverse engineer it. I'm not sure, but I think you can reverse engineer the ammo you get from running missions as well. Combat isn't necessary if you don't want to do it. Researching kernels leads to prototyping which is the most expensive way to do things. You get better stuff...but really expensive. I think that makes more sense if you're part of a corp and they're providing most of your raw materials.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I'm playing this. Bought two accounts in fact, one for indy one for combat. The only reason I don't play Eve is because I wasn't there early enough. I can't see why any new player would play Eve now, unless you're really into spaceships of course. Perpetuum is the new sandbox SF game to play, no doubt. Get in there early!