Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you think had the best "night time"?

When day transitions into night I love the games that really make you feel it's quiet and dark outside, and something changes about the atmosphere. it's things like this that help me get immersed in the game i'm playing and I think day/night transitions are very important.

The only game that i've played that in my opinion had the coolest night time was Anarchy Online. it was really dark, and you could hear crickets and stuff. But it was painfully dark to see things and it added a sort of alone feel to it. Another mention would be Darkfall. EQ1 was alright too.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

AoC but not because of the cycle, in AOC you selected night time and a whole new world opened up. Well up to level 20 that is. :)

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Best 'night time' for me is usually in the bed. For MMOS Fallen Earth has best night time. Very atmospheric and dark in wastelands ;)

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

Night should reduce the distance you can see. Your vision should be greatly reduce at night time with black hue covering everything that has no light source on it. Torches or any light source should be essential for races with normal eyes. I'm tired of all the new games that just change the color palette and expect us to consider that night. If I can at night as clear as I can see in day time then what's the big deal of day/night cycle.

For me EQ1 did it right, back in the day.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by yewsef

Night should reduce the distance you can see. Your vision should be greatly reduce at night time with black hue covering everything that has no light source on it. Torches or any light source should be essential for races with normal eyes. I'm tired of all the new games that just change the color palette and expect us to consider that night. If I can at night as clear as I can see in day time then what's the big deal of day/night cycle.

Turn your Gamma Control all the way down. Works fine for me. Not everyone loves to play games blind as a bat.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Exavus

When day transitions into night I love the games that really make you feel it's quiet and dark outside, and something changes about the atmosphere. it's things like this that help me get immersed in the game i'm playing and I think day/night transitions are very important.

The only game that i've played that in my opinion had the coolest night time was Anarchy Online. it was really dark, and you could hear crickets and stuff. But it was painfully dark to see things and it added a sort of alone feel to it. Another mention would be Darkfall. EQ1 was alright too.

Kithicor Forest in EQ1 was my first experience. I also remember being in Greater Faydark as a human at night and trying to find the lifts to Kelethin; that was a pain!

Graphically, I did like SWG and EQ2 and the way that they made their sunsets especially. I like the feeling of perpetual twilight in Greater Faydark in EQ2 as well!

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by mesmerise

Originally posted by Exavus

Kithicor Forest in EQ1 was my first experience. I also remember being in Greater Faydark as a human at night and trying to find the lifts to Kelethin; that was a pain!

Graphically, I did like SWG and EQ2 and the way that they made their sunsets especially. I like the feeling of perpetual twilight in Greater Faydark in EQ2 as well!

Concur.

Just the difference between how humans, half-elves, and then dark elves saw the night alone made the transition worthwhile. I don't even notice it in most games now.

Dark & Light's sky animation at any time tho' is worth noting as well.

Originally posted by theartist

Concur.

Just the difference between how humans, half-elves, and then dark elves saw the night alone made the transition worthwhile. I don't even notice it in most games now.

I did enjoy playing human, half-elves, wood elves and high elves. When playing the former race and starting off, what a thrill and frankly a necessity it was to find a blasted fire beetle eye and later ona lightstone from a will o' wisp! I think even weapons like the Screaming Mace (remember that old gem from Crushbone?) provided some light as well! Feels like ancient history now...

Half-elf ranger starting in Kelethin was interesting to say the least. Hehe. Watch your step! It was nice crawling around Kelethin in the dark and trying to find the class trainer!

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

Eve Online.

Wait, does that count? j/k

I remember Asheron's Call having a fun night time. Strangely enough, I can't remember why since it has been so long. Vanguard had a great night time as well that immersed you in the world.

Originally posted by theartist

Concur.

I did enjoy playing human, half-elves, wood elves and high elves. When playing the former race and starting off, what a thrill and frankly a necessity it was to find a blasted fire beetle eye and later ona lightstone from a will o' wisp! I think even weapons like the Screaming Mace (remember that old gem from Crushbone?) provided some light as well! Feels like ancient history now...

Half-elf ranger starting in Kelethin was interesting to say the least. Hehe. Watch your step! It was nice crawling around Kelethin in the dark and trying to find the class trainer!

LoL Yeah make it through that mess to go stumble around Lesser Fay at dark and have the pained unicorn rip you a new one.

It literally was like walking uphills both ways barefoot in the snow to get a lil' xp.

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Everquest is the only one. Most games these days have piss poor night time effects. Ohh sure folks say they dont want to play a game were they cant see crap and in a way i dont blame them.

Thing is in everquest if you played as a human you had to be smart, had to find something to help you see and even once you had acquired a lightstone or a beetle eye, you still had to be cautious! This is called immersion! You go in the middle of the woods at night and even with a flashlight, you are fairly limited.

Damn shame that these days devs are taking the easy way out when they should embrace the night and make it an intergral part of the gameplay.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

You should be scared at night when you cannot see in front of you. Only game that did that for me and where I dreaded night was Everquest. Only game that did it right.

Chamber of Chains
  • n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Everquest, Kithicor Forest... that is the only one. Actually pretty much trying to move anywhere at night as a lower level in EQ. I definitively recall camping at a zone line for the express purpose of waiting out night.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• kassimankassiman Member Posts: 77

mortal online, night gets gradually darker and darker till you literaly cant see unless you use torch.

there supose to be moon cycle so but it kept reseting so it was always hiding when i played.

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Everquest, Kithicor Forest... that is the only one. Actually pretty much trying to move anywhere at night as a lower level in EQ. I definitively recall camping at a zone line for the express purpose of waiting out night.

LMAO Oh man too good.

Level 3 ranger halfling YOU GOTTA RUN THE WALL! I had pals in before me so it was literally like a year and a half before I went into Kith with my capped rogue to see what all the fuss was about.

I think I want to make a MMO now that's just entirely based on being afraid of night.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Star Wars Galaxies

Don't really know why, but it popped into my mind when I read the question.

I remember it as really dark, it was always nice to get around torches or campfires.

Especially after flying around half a planet that is deserted.

Don't know if they changed it  but when I played it I really liked how it was.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I don't know about an MMO but dude, Minecraft does a good job of being wary about Night time.

I am creating an MMO concept with a good reason to play it safe at night with emphasis on the Kithicor forest feeling. I really badly want to start my account up just to go to the Halfling starting area and kithicor forest... but I know I'll regret it.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Everquest, unless you had a torch or lightstone of some sort, you couldn't see shit unless you played a race with nightvision.

Also certain mobs/events happened in some zones at night and such.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by kassiman

mortal online, night gets gradually darker and darker till you literaly cant see unless you use torch.

there supose to be moon cycle so but it kept reseting so it was always hiding when i played.

They fixed the moon, so nighttime varies in darkness more now.

I'd agree, though, that MO has the best night experience I've seen in an MMO.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Star Wars Galaxies

Nothing can beat finding youself an beautiful spot setting up camp and watching the twin suns of tatooine set or rise.

then sit there chatting whilst the campfire flickers

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Yes! I have done that too! Lowbie High Elf enchanter on Greater and Lesser Faydark zone line (I wanted to go to Steamfont Mountains for plague rat tails!). Oh those were the days...

Also, I am glad that everybody since I posted Kithicor also remembers that zone at night. *Shudders*

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by yewsef

Using this kind of real world logic one wonders how you get past the fact that you are fighting ogre's and elves.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

EQ1 all the way. I sure hope devs from upcoming games like Rift or GW2 might take notice of this thread... It was great to have the immersion different mobs would spawn during night cycles in EQ1, alongside it making it harder to seee.. As other have mentioned there was a reason you didnt want to go into the cursed Kithicor forest at night. The undead that would prowl at night would eat you alive.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

LoTRO.  Seeing the Shire or a town like Bree from a distance at night is just brilliant.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• kassimankassiman Member Posts: 77

i dont know what that SWG picture is supose to represent but surely it isnt night, to compare this is what night looks in Mortal online or can.. obviously not if the moon is lit. i think it gets even darker if you venture into forest of somekind, personaly i had to stop playing when night fell while i was hunting wolfs.

not my picture, found it from google

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

only MMO that stood out for me at night was EQ1 near release.  It certaintly was a pain if you didn't have a lightsource.  Don't forget that torch!