Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum: A First Look

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Bill Murphy has been spending some quality time in the open beta for Perpetuum, a space-themed MMO. Bill has found a complex and engaging science fiction MMO. Is it worth the time to try out? Read Bill's Perpetuum First Look to find out!

I’ve had the good fortune to spend some time with Perpetuum’s open beta, and I’ve come back from the planet of Nia to report on what’s shaping up to be a very complex, and possibly very engaging science fiction MMORPG. I’ve only just scratched the surface of what’s available in Perpetuum, but I will say this much right off the bat. If you’re looking for a game you can just pick up and play, Perpetuum is not for you. If on the other hand you’re looking for a game that you can really sink your teeth into and a game that takes time the learn the ins and outs of, then you might have found what you’re looking for.

Read more Perpetuum: A First Look.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

a bit late no ? in 8h the game go live

BestSigEver :P

• nwo1nwo1 Member Posts: 3

hmmm

• areiferareifer Member Posts: 3

yup

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Nicely done first look. +1

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I really like the 'thumbs up', actually makes me want to try.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Originally posted by cosy

Telling people what we know and think about the game JUST before the game's launch? I'd say it's perfect timing, but why let good criticism go to waste?

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Nice write-up.  From the time I spent in beta, I agree.  It's a very well produced game, and one that has quite a bit of depth beneath the surface.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Stradden

Telling people what we know and think about the game JUST before the game's launch? I'd say it's perfect timing, but why let good criticism go to waste?

Giving positive review and 'thumbs up' - what a cheap way to compensate the hype meter freezing, being delayed with updating gallery and whatnot... Did CCP stop paying you for viral marketing of the game?

Just joking :)

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

good read

maybe just a tad too much on how hard it is to get started - not really - just do the initial tutorial and then enter the nearby terminal and do all the tutorial assignments during which you will get a couple free bots and a generous amount of NIC (in-game money)

a word about the community though

it is small and very protective of the game

so if you are a bit thin skinned don't critisize any aspect of the game in general chat or on the forums - you will be attacked

fortunately - as opposed to the community - the devs (who are available in-game quite a bit) and gms are quite patient with "stupid" questions

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    The game is complex, the games basics are well done, the small community is helpful at the start. Honestly if you like sandbox games with very little direction try this game. Perpetuum is so good in my book that I've placed it along side my other two old standby games Eve & Ryzom. Again give it a solid try or two. You may enjoy the freedom, if you don't Atleast it offered a free trial unlike other games that sucker you in with a box sale.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Stradden

u get  a point but open beta ended 1 week go that is why i say is late

peace

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

too bad you are the Robot, could have wished that there are human avatar as well

but i might try this game, i am tired of waiting for Earthrise which probably wont release anymore

So What Now?

• mmo4lifemmo4life Member Posts: 136

Eve with robots...hell yea ill try it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TweFoju
    too bad you are the Robot, could have wished that there are human avatar as well
    but i might try this game, i am tired of waiting for Earthrise which probably wont release anymore

I could see human avatars walking around in terminals, maybe. It's not really necessary for the game play as it stands. I don't think there's any question about the game being worth what they are asking for it either.

It's not a very solo friendly game though. You're not going to die right of the bat or anything like that, but the game really revolves around multiplayer. 1)Join a corporation 2)Find out what they need and then do a lot of it 3)??? 4)Profit!

Oh yeah, there are some starter tutorials on the PO forums that are extremely useful. What you should spend your first EP on, what a lot of the extensions actually do and the benefit they provide you, etc. They are short and informative.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Nice game, but it just lacks content.  Expect to get bored within a month or two.  Could be a good game in a year or two.

• schawoschawo Member Posts: 135

Even deeper and more difficult then EVE, which I played for 6 years. Unique crafting system requires much more teamwork, then anywhere else.

After the 6 days of the early access, all I can say: Perpetuum > EVE

But if you try it solo, you will fail miserably.

Originally posted by schawo
    Even deeper and more difficult then EVE, which I played for 6 years. Unique crafting system requires much more teamwork, then anywhere else.

Crafting system requiring teamwork? Single person can make any item in the game, it is only a matter of NIC to buy the kernels. Yeah, deep and complex...

Sad to see someone not understanding the core game mechanics after 6 years.

• xuitonxuiton Member Posts: 133

How can they be talented company? They basically ripped off eve completely.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Originally posted by xuiton

maybe or maybe not.. but yet. This is a good and great deal.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

It has a lot of potential.  If your the type of person that likes to get in on these sort of games early so you can be one of the "vets" years down the road, its a very good game to do it in.  If your not that type of person, give it a couple years to mature and add more sand to the sandbox.

You skip one whole day :)

Originally posted by Gdemami

You skip one whole day :)

i was expecting to go live at 00:00 but will go live at 18:00 CET after downtime

i was expecting to go live at 00:00 but will go live at 18:00 CET after downtime

Oh yeah, launching the game in the middle of the night, that is truly expectable :)

I think the 'excpetected' launch time just suited better your trolling agenda :-P

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by xuiton

If you can paint an Van Gogh painting just like the real one means you are a very talented painter. Maybe not as creative. Creating the game they created with only 10 people is a good feat and from what I have been reading the game is not to buggy. They are talented. True they have been inspired by EvE (If I remember correctly the early UI images looked exectly like EvE), but there is nothing wrong with that. A lot of people like concept of EvE, but not EvE. I think this game aims to target this audience, with a landbased game inspired by EvE. 

Originally posted by Gdemami

Oh yeah, launching the game in the middle of the night, that is truly expectable :)

the game is already launched ppl got EA for a week now they just need to allow the access for ppl that dint buy EA

if you look on account time you will see that the hour for account expiration is 23:59:00 so launching at 18:00 CET you pay 18h of gameplay and you wont get that 18h, also i will like to see if the EP will start counting from 18:00 or from 00:00