Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Terrain Upgrades

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Fallen Earth devs have teamed up with MMORPG.com to give our readers and exclusive look at the terrain upgrades coming into the game very soon. We have a great explanation of the how and why of terrain upgrades by Art Director Chris "Devo" Deavellar as well as several before and after screens. Check it all out in our exclusive Fallen Earth: Terrain Upgrades feature.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

Really? o.0 *looks closely*

Does look much better to me. Maybe I dont know what im suppose to be looking at.

Kat

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Look at the textures on the cliffs at the road. That is about it. :)

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

So they updated a texture and it warrents an artical and several before and after screens? I boggle...

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

I think it looks alot better in the before and after shots. Terrain detail goes a long way in improving the overall feel of the game, not to mention immersion.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

Huge improvement, no doubt. Especially in the first sector, there are a lot of vistas similar to the last pic; this update will sure bring enhanced realism to those.

I'm very pleased that they continue to upgrade the graphics of FE. It actually starts to look real good. The newly added sun shafts brings a lot to the atmosphere.

When in doubt, troll.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Love what they are doing and it's really making me want to go back, but I'm too much into EQ2 again, though once I grow bored I'l be back in FE =)

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

thats a massive terrain improvement.  I don't understand why people are hating on it like its not worthy of a post.  It's more impressive and noteworthy than 99.9% of the crap posted on this site, and I don't even play the game

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Every human eye sees detail differently.

There are some people, a lot really, who just don't see finer points of detail like others are capable of.

Its why not everyone can put together a decent outfit of clothing. Some just don't havethe eye for it.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Not seeing alot of diff there, though it could be the size of the pics on my screen.

It might look alot better animated, as well.

• felorefelore Member Posts: 222

increase in shaders .....cant believe people cant tell the difference lol  there is way more depth in the 2nd pic

• RamblebrainRamblebrain Member Posts: 52

It looks good, subtle details helps a game a lot when it comes to feel. I always felt FE being a bit undetailed, but the awesome leveling process made up for it big time .. now melee animations please! :D

Also, does typing in colors make my post more important? huh Robsolf, does it? :P

• LenceLence Member CommonPosts: 109

some people are blind here...

way to go FF, hope they continue to improve it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Quite a big improvement, nice work!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think it's nice to see a company improving the visual aspect of the game well after launch.  I wish more gaming companies would do this.

Also I have seen examples of modders who take games and make vast improvements visually to them.  I wonder why gaming companies don't do more to reach out to the modding community and recruit such talent.

• Oy-jordOy-jord Member UncommonPosts: 44

They need to work on the avatars and the animations, not the terrain, IMHO.

• SchnizitSchnizit Member Posts: 25

Umm yeah... thats wonderful.  Too little, but very perty.

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Every human eye sees detail differently.

There are some people, a lot really, who just don't see finer points of detail like others are capable of.

Its why not everyone can put together a decent outfit of clothing. Some just don't havethe eye for it.

Good point the difference in terrain textures and shaders is staggering, for those who say they can't "see" any improvement???  Mind  boggling.

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

i likeit .. i miss beta of game .. was nimrod in there

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

The after image has a different color cast that has nothing to do with the new texture.  Also it's not magic it's just another texture that isn't as generic as the first on the rocks.  Larger details with higher contrast that show up better at that distance but nothing spectacular happening here.  Simply a couple new textures applied at a different UV mapping angle.  I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" as much as a "mod". 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

The change in the colour cast is likely because of the dynamic light changes introduced in-game recently, and not any sort of trickery.  In a game when so much of your time is spent running around those canyons, having them look more detailed can only be a good thing.  With the lighting changes and now this, the FE world is ticking all the immersion boxes.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Ehhhh what? Did they just move a little rock or?

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

seeing that FE is all about running around the wasteland it means they are improving the looks of (nearly!) the whole game! Good, as terrain in FE is more important then in most MMOs.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Good improvement :)

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

EvE know how to change textures. =D

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Oy-jord

They need to work on the avatars and the animations, not the terrain, IMHO.

This!

but better graphics for the environment doesnt hurt.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds