Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lingeage II: Goddess of Destruction Announced (trailer and gameplay inside)

YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

MAin info from there:
http://www.mmoculture.com/2010/11/gstar-2010-lineage-2-goddess-of.html

- Complete Combat Overhaul.
- Complete Gameplay Overhaul.
- Entirely New Graphical Engine.
- Pretty much EVERYTHING in the game changed.

Official Trailer that debuted at GStar this year

GAmeplay Video from GStar Part I
Gameplay Video From GStar Part II
Gameplay Video from GStar Part III

Frankly, even if this just another one of |Omg WoW Cataclysm" type of expansions that change the game, I am stoked. Lineage II holds my dearest memories of the past and I am happy to see it get a new life. And going by gameplay video, a damn beautiful life it will be...

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
# A MASKED CRY ADORING
# A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

That official trailer is impressive. Looks a lot like Aion in its detail.

Do we know what graphics engine they are using? Are they going with the cryengine as they did with Aion or is it something else?

All die, so die well.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by VikingGamer
    That official trailer is impressive. Looks a lot like Aion in its detail.
    Do we know what graphics engine they are using? Are they going with the cryengine as they did with Aion or is it something else?

While there is no official announcement on what engine they are using, there have been previously speculations that its cryengine.

Which is very likely as transition from unreal to cryengine is, supposedly, very smooth process.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

People still play Lineage II?  Heh, never really did like it much; UI was akward.

**edit - I suppose i'd try it again if it went F2P

Then agin, DDO and LORTO went there and I'm not a big fan of theirs either.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Looks almost excatly like Aion.  I'd go back if they fixed the akward movement and removed a lot of the typical asian timesinks

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I can't find the eyes open drooling emoticon.

God, I loved that game.

And it does look like Aion.

Just hated the economy part. I realize things are less expensive but it just took up too much time from the other stuff. We'll have to see what the new update brings.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShqipShqip Member Posts: 61
    Looks like still no wasd and click to walk is not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by Shqip

If they are making it more Aion like then my guess is that click to walk vs mouse move/wasd  will be something you choose in the options. Aion allows for this asian style of movement as well, just doesn't force you too it. Other asian game also us this as the norm and considering the success of L2 in Asia and the number of people used to this kind of movement it is completely understandable that they wont get rid of it entirely. The western way of making games is not the last word in what it correct.

All die, so die well.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

They are also taking the code from L3 that was discarded and adding it to L2 so we will see w,s,a,d as well as click to walk.

This new expansion may just give L2 the pop increase it needs to keep it lively.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Originally posted by Shqip

If they are making it more Aion like then my guess is that click to walk vs mouse move/wasd  will be something you choose in the options. Aion allows for this asian style of movement as well, just doesn't force you too it. Other asian game also us this as the norm and considering the success of L2 in Asia and the number of people used to this kind of movement it is completely understandable that they wont get rid of it entirely. The western way of making games is not the last word in what it correct.

All he said was that it wasn't his cup of tea, not that the entire western hemisphere was the only side that knew what was correct in making video games. But, lets face it. If you do not give your player base options it will either be not as, or not at all successful comprared to the top dogs of the genre. And as we all sure as hell better  know by now; this market is about making money. The more players you get the more profitable you become, it's just common sense practice. No game has to be as populated as WoW, seeing those banners that say 5million to wows 12 million does nothing for me. I Actually find EQ2 a better game, that's just me.  I'm also not saying Lineage II doesn't have options because as I recall they DO offer WASD movement in options last time I tried the game, it was still extremely stiff and unyieldy to me. I've heard that same complaint from many people and I think as well that if they made the movement flow more smoothly, they'd get a decent pop increase I believe. It'd be all I'd need to try it again. The game offers excellent content, it's just when you have difficulty controlling your character, because their control scheme is too different from your playstyle, more than likely you're going to choose to try something more akin to what you're used to. Knowing that and implementing something to cater to as many playstyles as possible can only help your game grow, by making it more accessable to more people interested in your game, just incable of getting used to certain small aspects of it. If click to move isn't annoying to you, and the WASD movement isn't too stiff for your tastes, after the free trial to anyone who's still interested in it, by all means subscribe. From what little I've played I've enjoyed every other aspect of the game that I saw so I'd easily recommend it to people. It's just the character control that I couldn't get past.

• DDragonstormDDragonstorm Member UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by Ravik

Looks almost excatly like Aion.  I'd go back if they fixed the akward movement and removed a lot of the typical asian timesinks

LOL L2 looked like Aion before Aion looked like Aion.  Its still one of the best lookin games around.  Does need some gameplay work though.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csO0y_sZVhg

Another new trailer from GStar (made entirelly from ingame enviroinments).

Oh and it also has the look at how the revamped new-old classes play.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

As a long time Lineage 2 player I am really looking forward to this.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

It's not a new engine what are you people are talking about. The graphics will be much better but they are not using cryengione or anything else. I'm mostly hyped about new combat system.

• jdreamjdream Member UncommonPosts: 80

Aion with larger map and more contents?

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

They still use Unreal engine 2 for this update, they have just updated the engine with reflection and a new shader. Also they say . that is the most important in my book. 

That they are making the game run smoother.

• apple888apple888 Member Posts: 1

any idea when this update is taking effect?

Originally posted by apple888

any idea when this update is taking effect?

At Gstar they have 20 playable stations and they have mentioned that this version is in QA. Even with that, define what playable means. Also, how far along QA puts you in a process can very wildly from company to company. So anything is a guess.

But my guess is that it will be in Korea by late summer. Then you usually have to add 6 months to that date to get the NA/EU release.

All die, so die well.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

This has piqued my interest.  I've always wanted to return but it's been so long (c3) since i've played that becoming competetive again would be far too much work.  Plus I gave away my full majestic set and adena before quitting...

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Originally posted by Mannish

As a long time Lineage 2 player I am really looking forward to this.

I'll check it out, and give it a shot.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Wtf is this looks like they gonna rape Lineage 2 and make it ocmplete carebar themepark like WoW and Aion...

• xXxRyuseixXxxXxRyuseixXx Member UncommonPosts: 8

I like it! I'll be waiting for this update

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I'm really looking forward to this too. I'm still playing L2 for good reason. It's still one of the best MMOs out there, and as this thread shows, some people wish they could return to a modernized/updated (not dumbed down) version of it. 

Other people just don't know what they are missing, especially because the empty archaic starter zones don't give the greatest impression of it. The huge imbalances of free and rampant private servers make it even worse. It's just not how it was meant to be played.

On the other hand, when you enter the game and get a lot of good advice from friendly people (get on the forums early to meet people and find a good server/home!) along with some help with money/gear via the new trainers and player guilds, then it's easily the best experience I've had in years. Unfortunately without that, prices for upgrades are still too steep, and leveling at a reasonable rate is impossible. It takes a bit of reasonable dedication to get over those hurdles to the points of the game where a lot more players can be found (levels 40+). It also just takes a different perspective on grouping/guilds. In similar ways to EVE, you'll just get burnt out on the learning curve and expense of advancing if you don't connect up with people early on that can help.

This update might not change anything for the people that want to jump in without anyone's help and solo level to max in a couple weeks. You are looking in the wrong direction for an easy ride to the top with Lineage 2. Besides, that market is already flooded, but it's also just not how to play this game. For the people that feel the best 'challenge' in an MMO is the patience and dedication it takes to grow and master their chosen class, this is as good as it gets imo. I'm not saying "fun" = "grind", but for some people "grind" = achievement at the end of the day, and the real fun is where you can often connect up, party with, and help other players on a regular basis because of the mastery and level of your character. The update to combat dynamics could improve this experience even more.

I'm also taking from the second "concept art" file name that they could be introducing an entirely new "Beginner's Town" to enhance the new player experience. It's about time!!!!!! If they can completely redesign that initial impression, I think L2 can garner a much greater following once again. Either way, I'm in it for the long haul as are most of my guildies. It's an MMO you don't want to miss.

Originally posted by Otomox

Wtf is this looks like they gonna rape Lineage 2 and make it ocmplete carebar themepark like WoW and Aion...

Just curious where and how you got this impression? I didn't perceive it that way at all. It certainly doesn't correlate with any update they have done thus far...

Originally posted by Fluxii

People still play Lineage II?  Heh, never really did like it much; UI was akward.

**edit - I suppose i'd try it again if it went F2P

Then agin, DDO and LORTO went there and I'm not a big fan of theirs either.

Just wanted to say I think you're on the mark about the UI. I don't particularly like it either, although it's functional after some time getting accustomed to it. I hope they do something about that in this update or soon after also because it really does give a bad impression like I said earlier. Once players can get past it though, there is a lot to like of the overall game mechanics.

• doubleEXPdoubleEXP Member Posts: 3

I recently came back to L2, after not playing since C1.  I left with many when WoW came out, since back then the grind was much longer (especially the adena grind).  Anyway, long story short, I finally got bored of WoW completely and still missed elements of L2.  I heard about the free trial and that the game was now much more newbie friendly (and less grindy pre-75).

They were right.  So glad I came back.  And the GoD update looks amazing.