Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development Notes

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

November 15th 2010

Wizards and Champions is currently holding in closed beta.  New testers are welcome (see below), and should be aware that the game is still moderately rough, the world is still being created and patches can happen at any time.  NOTE: because of the amount of hardware needed to run such a large world, there is no test realm.  We develop directly on the live server, which is why there are so many patches.

The lobby based design is being reworked into a main city "Stromhold", located in the zone Stromhold Valley.  This is the first and most major city in the game.  The reason for the design change is to avoid the feeling that the world is severely fragmented (a common issue in zone based games).  The road from Stromhold leads through all 7 major farming zones (currently in game as land01 to land61).

3/4 of the dungeons are in game.  In Stromhold, take the north wing to a portal to the lowest level dungeons.  See the guards for details.  NOTE: some of the guard information is obsolete due to the conversion to ground base design.  You should be able to figure out most of it.

BETA TESTERS:  To access the game as a beta tester, simply sign up for access to the forum.  Once in the forum system, there is a category "BETA CLIENT".  The client is linked from there.  If there are problems getting connected, please look at the web site for information about PORT FORWARDING.  The client uses UDP packets and some NAT (Network Address Translation) or proxy routers may need to have forwarding rules established.  This is usually quite simple as there is only one port that needs forwarded.

Any questions or issues, feel free to message on the forum.  Developers and beta testers check this daily.

Ken Fisher

Wizards and Champions

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The way it looks, the plan is to address content that was to be added in the first expansion pack right away in order to release with a functional "end game" environment.  This means digging through art packs and working out lore will delay reaching open beta.  However, direction is that it is best to open the doors with as much functional as possible.  I agree completely.

Greets and welcome to the new testers who are coming online for closed beta.  So far, feedback has been very positive, which is very good news.

Still  much to do, but it's getting there.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Now on the second day of tracking down a failure with .MAP (yep like used in Quake) artwork imports.  Something in the art pipeline is garbaging models sufficiently that under certain conditions (don't ask me) they cause engine crashes.

Allow me to state for the record:  ARRGGHHHHHH

Pardon the delay with the overland refit.  This will be fixed shortly.

Crash bug is fixed.

Next in progress is clean up minor issues lingering on the to-do list and back to town population.