Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any videos of gameplay yet?

BaddtouchBaddtouch Member UncommonPosts: 4

Title says it all?

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I looked a few weeks ago and found none. If you find any please post the links here. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

These vids are out of date, but they show the basis of the game.

The vids linked here were out of date

The major difference in design is converting from lobby based to world based.  The lobby really blew part of the mmo feel.  Easier and smarter to fix it now rather than after players get in.

Seems weird to see the old sci-fi lobby.  The reworked art is mostly stone, and the scifi references all removed.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BaddtouchBaddtouch Member UncommonPosts: 4

Thanks for the links!

I am going to register and check it out.

I like the sound of the core concepts of the game as explained in the videos and would like to explore it further along with  participating in your testing.

Thx again.

NP, hope you can join in.

It's a weird mix of retro and casual-friendly.  It'll get there in time.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I'm curious why you decided to go for such an extreme level of casual friendliness as to be able to call it facebook level friendly? It seems like that is too casual for a full blown mmorpg. 

Market positioning.  Most of the Indie games niche market toward experienced and/or hardcore players.  To distance from that, the design I'm running with has the opposite target... inexperienced casual players.

Does an MMORPG have to have complex UI and game mechanics to be an MMORPG?  Wizards and Champions has (or will have) dungeon runs, overlands, basic but useful crafting, player run guilds, and no private instancing.  Grouping is encouraged, characters can spec as holy trinity or soloists.  How is this not an MMORPG?

I agree completely that its not like other Indie MMORPGs, but it's not supposed to be a DF, MO, Ryzom, FE, or Xsyon.  If anything it is closest to a classic (pre-instancing) EQ but with a streamlined design.

Part of establishing this design is that it adapts well to a low budget development environment.  I've spent in cash to build this about the same amount of money that a AAA developer spends on booth, travel and catering to go to a convention.  That really forces a simplistic design for efficiencies sake.  It also makes for a small client download since there isn't 2 gigs of expensive artwork.

edit: added last paragraph.

In thinking about this, I can see the perspective that WAC isn't a "full blown MMORPG".  In response, I'd like it to be one someday.  That is the overall direction, market acceptance and credibility.  Many of the design changes based on beta tester feedback are in this general direction.  Thing such as dumping the lobby based design in favor of a living overland with towns, NPCs and dungeon entrances.