Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition Pt. 3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle has been spending a lot of time playing Mortal Online. In fact, he's already written two Survivor Guy articles (Part 1 and Part 2) detailing his experiences so far. Today Adam reaches "The End of the Road" with his ongoing adventures in Mortal Online. See if things have gotten any better for Adam and then leave us a comment.

As I shuffled through the dirty alleys of Meduli, I approached a cluster of trees that I called my own. Before I had left to restock my supply of pickaxes, this work place of mine was empty and desolate; as I returned however, the place was awash with boisterous young things collecting scraps of my Whitewood. My anger was rising and the three pickaxes I had left this place to purchase were crying-out to be raised in the name of wood-theft-based-murder – Calming myself I decided to simply wander away and find another place in which to work. The old Marr would have taken up arms against such insubordination but what could I do? I was a lowly manual laborer not some Charles Bronson-type. Sighing in resignation I walked on and decided not to look back.

Read more Survivor Guy: Mortal Online Edition Pt. 3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Another great article, and great read!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Really nice story. I love it! You capture lots of things that are nice in the game. PvP is very exciting. Even there are some bugs in MO it's really fun to play. Brutal! 

• maharetmaharet Member Posts: 115

Well the one thing that he uses very much in his articale is roleplay and imagination.  You need a lot of that if you wish to play MO. 

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

Man... I just want these stories to go on and on... Hope you would consider writing more. You capture the core of what is MO, and it sure ain´t a game for those with a weak heart. I apploud you.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Hehe, so he cut some wood, killed some rats and ran around trying to not get ganked.  Sounds like the same stuff you do in themepark games on the pvp servers.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

A good example of how not to play one of these games.  Make some friends, there is always power in numbers.  I shudder every time I read one of these stories, but I guess the best way to learn is from your mistakes.   

• Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

That was a great read almost makes me want to play the game if only it wasn't for the fact that i rather not pay to get owned  by pkers around the clock. 

• spade777spade777 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Ozmodan

A good example of how not to play one of these games.  Make some friends, there is always power in numbers.  I shudder every time I read one of these stories, but I guess the best way to learn is from your mistakes.   

Really?  You shudder?  Don't forget to have fun, there.  His articles are humorous and do a good job describing a new player's experience with a full PvP game.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Hands down the best 3 articles on MMORPG.com. After reading pt 1 I couldn't wait to read the next installment. Great work.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Sad that it was the last part. He is a great author and could almost write a book of the adventures in Nave. Hopefully he writing more about Nave in a few months.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Hands down the best 3 articles on MMORPG.com. After reading pt 1 I couldn't wait to read the next installment. Great work.

I thought his EvE Survivor Guy series was really good, too.

He's definitely got a great writing style - very entertaining to read.  I also like his approach to playing - he seems to be able to find the fun that the game is trying to give.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Awesome writings about a great game.  Thumbs UP!

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Loved the series - well done! - very much like my experiments with Darkfall. I'm betting I will try MO one day with a similar philosophy.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Again... great article. It gives me hope.

But once again, I must remind everyone that none of what you wrote matters. You character in game is wholly incomplete and homoginized. As there is no basis (mathamatical base) for any skill. Today archery does this, the next day it does that.

There is no basis for skills, levels of skills, or even abilities. A fleet footed Veela, is no faster than a healthy Thursur...  daggers and sword, it does matter because each change from patch to patch... there is no basis for weapontry. Why doesn't anyone dual-wield? (because nobody, inclusing SV, knows how the speed, heft, or dmg should be... so it remins broke and an afterthought.

The current skill tree is 5~6 months away from being implamented (working), then it needs to be balanced, and thats before all the "other" skills they want to add...   SV will do nothing, just like they changed pickpocketing nearly 20 times since released...

Who even wants to start in a game & try to develope their character...  when the character race you chose, no longer matters because of such wide sweeping changes. It's hard to feel even atuned to your character, because his sub-set of skills change so often. 

StarVault is still impresing themselves with their engine and trying to keep people around by promising content, but none of that matters when your avitar is broken and funneled into a class/role you have no wish to play (mounted guild 2-hander). Not only that, but the economy is so broken (not-to-mention millions in duped gold circulating between guilds), that a newbie Lumberjack is told exactly what tree they can harvest, because SV (Henrik) feels it's necessary that only certain tree's have value, while the other ones have zero value. (shouldn't the player economy dictate supply & damand, henrik?) 

Epic fail...  teir 1 harvestable mat worth zero?, because Henrik (or anyone @ SV) doesn't understand supply side econmics.

So as great as Mortal Online is, it's a novelty, worth trying and seeing, but it has absolutely no staying power because what your character is, is in a constant state of flux.

StarVault should add clothing & daggers and solidify what the base values are, then build from there... everything builds from there. But instead, StarVault is chasing their tale by constantly catering to the OTM cries by guilds. When they should be formulating their database with FUNDEMENTALS & BASE stats, that every wepon and every article of clothing will built upon. It's simple and remedial development. 

So, without a fundemental base in every category (attribute, skill, ability, race..etc)... then Mortal Online is just a meandering paid beta/experiement. Heck, they can't even get a base skill point right and that has changed nearly 4~5 time since release... absolutely pathetic. These are things that should already be on papaer YEARS before the final prodcut went gold.

note: I could balance and optimize pick-pocketing in 1 day, if SV would allow me to see their values/formulas and hooks. It's just that they are afraid to make a final decision, or actually make skills/attributes/abilities count for something real (and/or hard to achieve).

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Great read!

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41

Thanks for the story you *******.   hahaha. 

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

/mooooooooooar for love of god mooooar

BestSigEver :P

• orator1970orator1970 Member UncommonPosts: 112

once again a well written fun and entertaining article, keep up the good work!

• error_404error_404 Member UncommonPosts: 108

"Climbing a nearby rock, I stood proud, drew my axe and yelled “come and get me!”."

I want to know what happened!

Great read, as were the other two.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

You cant do a whisper/tell in game? Thats a bit odd, no crafting chat channel? I liked the idea of lumberjacking raising your stats, I assume there is a cap on that though?

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by error_404

"Climbing a nearby rock, I stood proud, drew my axe and yelled “come and get me!”."

I want to know what happened!

Great read, as were the other two.

Yes, it was a great read.

And you know what happened.

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Wow, just fantastic.  That was one of the most amusing and generally entertaining reads for a while.

• XiskoXisko Member Posts: 50

Good reading Mr. Tingle, paid by SV i guess, but good reading anyway.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

wtf?

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Phelcher

Again... great article. It gives me hope.

But once again, I must remind everyone that none of what you wrote matters. You character in game is wholly incomplete and homoginized. As there is no basis (mathamatical base) for any skill. Today archery does this, the next day it does that.

There is no basis for skills, levels of skills, or even abilities. A fleet footed Veela, is no faster than a healthy Thursur...  daggers and sword, it does matter because each change from patch to patch... there is no basis for weapontry. Why doesn't anyone dual-wield? (because nobody, inclusing SV, knows how the speed, heft, or dmg should be... so it remins broke and an afterthought.

The current skill tree is 5~6 months away from being implamented (working), then it needs to be balanced, and thats before all the "other" skills they want to add...   SV will do nothing, just like they changed pickpocketing nearly 20 times since released...

Who even wants to start in a game & try to develope their character...  when the character race you chose, no longer matters because of such wide sweeping changes. It's hard to feel even atuned to your character, because his sub-set of skills change so often. 

StarVault is still impresing themselves with their engine and trying to keep people around by promising content, but none of that matters when your avitar is broken and funneled into a class/role you have no wish to play (mounted guild 2-hander). Not only that, but the economy is so broken (not-to-mention millions in duped gold circulating between guilds), that a newbie Lumberjack is told exactly what tree they can harvest, because SV (Henrik) feels it's necessary that only certain tree's have value, while the other ones have zero value. (shouldn't the player economy dictate supply & damand, henrik?) 

Epic fail...  teir 1 harvestable mat worth zero?, because Henrik (or anyone @ SV) doesn't understand supply side econmics.

So as great as Mortal Online is, it's a novelty, worth trying and seeing, but it has absolutely no staying power because what your character is, is in a constant state of flux.

StarVault should add clothing & daggers and solidify what the base values are, then build from there... everything builds from there. But instead, StarVault is chasing their tale by constantly catering to the OTM cries by guilds. When they should be formulating their database with FUNDEMENTALS & BASE stats, that every wepon and every article of clothing will built upon. It's simple and remedial development. 

So, without a fundemental base in every category (attribute, skill, ability, race..etc)... then Mortal Online is just a meandering paid beta/experiement. Heck, they can't even get a base skill point right and that has changed nearly 4~5 time since release... absolutely pathetic. These are things that should already be on papaer YEARS before the final prodcut went gold.

note: I could balance and optimize pick-pocketing in 1 day, if SV would allow me to see their values/formulas and hooks. It's just that they are afraid to make a final decision, or actually make skills/attributes/abilities count for something real (and/or hard to achieve).

Well said... Too bad you arent working on MO

I win!!! LOL@U